Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Accessory For DJI Action 2--Magnetic Protective Case
123456Next >
240770 228 3-15 19:10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
DJI team
Flight distance : 2408 ft
South Africa

DJI Launches DJI Action 2 Magnetic Protective Case
Record Longer Than Ever

DJI Action 2 Magnetic Protective Case Mag case 1.jpg
The DJI Action 2 Magnetic Protective Case helps prevent damage to the Camera Unit from impacts, scratches, and abrasions. An additional case is compatible with the Front Touchscreen Module and Power Module. Comprised of a heat-resistant polymer, the Magnetic Protective Case also helps reduce surface temperature to optimize video recording by activating a heat control solution that increases recording length under normal conditions.

Technical Principles
The DJI Action 2 Camera Unit is made of metal material for fast heat dissipation of internal components, causing it to feel hot to the touch after long recording times. DJI Action 2 has a built-in temperature threshold system that automatically sends a prompt and stops recording when the camera temperature reaches a set value. The Magnetic Protective Case is made of a heat-resistant polymer to make the Camera Unit less restricted by temperature, allowing extended recording times under normal conditions.

The following chart summarizes the maximum recording duration (when Auto-Stop Rec Temp is set to High) under different video specifications and stabilization modes when the Camera Unit is mounted with the Magnetic Protective Case. The data was measured in a windless indoor environment (25 °C).
Mag case 2.jpg

Steady
RockSteady
HorizonBalancing
HorizonSteady
1080p/30fps
50 mins*
42 mins*
40 mins*
36 mins*
2.7K/30fps (Aspect ratio: 16:9)
42 mins*
40 mins*
35 mins*
35 mins*
4K/30fps (Aspect ratio: 16:9)
42 mins*
38 mins*
27 mins*
/
1080p/60fps
35 mins*
33 mins*
33 mins*
30 mins*
2.7K/60fps (Aspect ratio: 16:9)
25 mins
19 mins
19 mins
19 mins
4K/60fps (Aspect ratio: 16:9)
24 mins
16 mins
16 mins
/
4K/120fps
/
10 mins
/
/
* DJI Action 2 will record until the battery level reaches zero.

Added Function to Detect the Magnetic Protective Case
Mag3.jpg

The DJI Action 2 Camera Unit will automatically detect the installed Magnetic Protective Case after updating its firmware to 01.03.30.20. Upon detection, the Camera Unit touchscreen will prompt “Magnetic Protective Case installed,” and activate a heat control solution that increases recording length under normal conditions.

Installing the Magnetic Protective Case
mag 5.jpg Mounting the Case to the Camera Unit
Place the DJI Action 2 Camera unit inside the Magnetic Protective Case with the lens facing the round opening and metal contact points aligned with those of the case. When mounting is complete, power on DJI Action 2, and the prompt “Magnetic Protective Case installed” will appear on the touchscreen.

Mounting the Case to the Front Touchscreen Module/Power Module
Align the USB-C port and buttons on both sides of the module with the openings on the protective case, and the microSD card slot with the corresponding opening of the case. Check for a secure fit.
The Magnetic Protective Case does not affect the use of expansion ports. After mounting, accessories like the Magnetic Lanyard, Magnetic Adapter Mount, and Magnetic Ball-Joint Adapter Mount will still be compatible.
* Remove the Magnetic Protective Case from the Camera Unit when using the Magnetic Headband.

Removing the Magnetic Protective Case
The case for the Front Touchscreen Module/Power Module wraps around the module. Removing the case while the module is connected to the Camera Unit is recommended, as shown below.
meg case 5.jpg
To remove the protective case from the Camera Unit, push the lens side of the Camera Unit away from the case.
* Do not remove the Magnetic Protective Case during recording.

How Do I Get a Magnetic Protective Case?
For a better creative experience, users who have already purchased and activated DJI Action 2 will receive the Magnetic Protective Case free of charge through specified official channels. The case will also be included with the purchase of DJI Action 2 from now on. Check here for further details.

* Note that the process of receiving the Magnetic Protective Case, the time of availability, and the in-stock time may vary among countries and regions. Please refer to your local policies. If DJI Action 2 was purchased before the activation deadline and activated afterward, please contact after-sales for assistance.

North America
Activation Time
Up to 23:59, March 31  (Beijing Time)     
Starting 00:00, April 1 (Beijing Time)  
How to get the Magnetic Protective Case:

For users that bought DJI Action 2   at the DJI Store, Amazon, or Best Buy USA, visit https://my.dji.com/coupons. Log into the DJI account that activated DJI Action 2 to check the coupon (which will be issued to the account before April 8 automatically. ) to place the order free of charge and get the accessory (check the DJI Store for in-stock time).

For users that purchased DJI Action 2 via other channels, consult your local retailers.

Purchasing DJI Action 2 comes with the Magnetic Protective Case free of charge from April 1 onward.
The Magnetic Protective Case will be available for purchase on April 1 (Beijing Time). Please visit the DJI Store for more details or consult your local retailers.

Europe
Activation Time
Up to 23:59, March 31   (Beijing Time)  

Visit https://my.dji.com/coupons. Log into the DJI account that activated DJI Action 2 to check the coupon (which will be issued to the account before April 8 automatically. ) to place the order free of charge and get the accessory (check the DJI Store for in-stock time).

For DJI Store, Amazon, purchasing DJI Action 2 comes with the Magnetic Protective Case free of charge from April 1 onward.
For other channels, please check with local retailers.

The Magnetic Protective Case will be available for purchase on April 1 (Beijing Time). Please visit the DJI Store for more details or consult your local retailers.

Asia Pacific
Activation Time
Starting 00:00, April 1   (Beijing Time)  
How to get the Magnetic Protective   Case:

For users in Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan,   Singapore, Japan, Korea, Australia, and New Zealand, visit https://my.dji.com/coupons. Log into the DJI account that activated DJI Action 2 to check the coupon (which will be issued to the account before April 8 automatically. ) to place the order free of charge and get the accessory (check the DJI Store for in-stock time).

For users in other   regions, consult your local retailers.

Purchasing DJI Action 2 comes with   the Magnetic Protective Case free of charge from April 1 onward.

Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa
Activation Time
Consult your local retailers.

Purchasing DJI Action   2 comes with the Magnetic Protective Case free of charge from April 1 onward.

01.03.30.20 Firmware Update
  • Added a function that detects when the Magnetic Protective Case is installed on the Camera Unit. The protective case optimizes video recording by activating a heat control solution that increases recording length under normal conditions.
  • Updated where pressing and holding the power button for one second when the camera is powered off will skip SnapShot, and power the camera on without triggering the recording function.
  • Fixed an occasional issue where the camera view for SnapShot is displayed upside-down.
  • Fixed some minor bugs.

Notes:
  • When using the Camera Unit independently, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the frame temperature. When connected with the Front Touchscreen Module or Power Module, the Auto-Stop Rec Temp refers to the connected module’s frame temperature. There may be a difference of 1 to 2 °C.
  • There are two set values for the Auto-Stop Rec Temp (Standard: 48 °C; High: 53 °C). You can adjust the settings according to your usage habits and preferences. Due to local regulations, some regions are only able to select the standard 48 °C Auto-Stop Rec Temp.
  • Do not attach the DJI Action 2 Camera Unit to the Front Touchscreen Module or Power Module when there is any dust or water on or in the expansion ports. Doing so may cause the Camera Unit to corrode or short-circuit.
  • Before mounting the Magnetic Protective Case, wipe away any water or stains around the mounting points to prevent corrosion and short-circuiting.
  • Mounting the Magnetic Protective Case will not affect the power and data communication of the DJI Action 2 Camera Unit, Front Touchscreen Module, or Power Module.
  • Before recording, make sure that the Magnetic Protective Case is securely mounted. Do not remove the protective case while shooting.
  • The protective case uses a wrapping design. To remove the Magnetic Protective Case, push the DJI Action 2 Camera Unit away from the case.

3-15 19:10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

How to get a Magnetic Protective Case?

1). For users who have activated DJI Action 2 before 00:00 Beijing time of April 1, 2022, or users who will purchase DJI Action 2 after 00:00 Beijing time of April 1, 2022, please refer to the article above, and find the way to get the protective case based on the policy in your country or region.
*Note that if the way to get a protective case in your country or region is a "coupon", and the coupon will be issued to the DJI account that activated DJI Action 2 automatically before April 8. The coupon is valid for six months.

2). For users who have purchased but not activated DJI Action 2 before 00:00 Beijing time of April 1, 2022,  please provide information including your country, name, contact information, order information, DJI account, and the serial number of your DJI Action 2 (which should be bound to your DJI account), and contact DJI support for further assistance.
4-1 05:47
Use props
Frontliner 2020
First Officer
Philippines

thank you for cool accessory...
3-15 20:19
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Frontliner 2020 Posted at 3-15 20:19

You are very much welcome.
3-15 20:19
Use props
djiuser_yPAAxlbQ5CvQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2818 ft
Australia

Three days since when ?
3-15 22:00
Use props
djiuser_yPAAxlbQ5CvQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2818 ft
Australia

3 days since when?
3-15 22:00
Use props
fansaaa956a3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 402927 ft
Singapore

This look so much like the small rig casing ?
3-16 05:37
Use props
djiuser_bmMoSfyhLMnI
lvl.1

United Kingdom

My retailer doesn't know anything about this. Looks like I'll have to pay for one.
3-16 05:45
Use props
IftiBashir
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Updated.
Although checked my DJI account and no coupon issued just yet.....
3-16 05:47
Use props
djiuser_w16UX1dKELGs
lvl.1

United States

Could you also make a Magnetic Adapter Mount for the Action 2 that has a built in USB-C to power the camera while it is mounted without having to have the second module attached? This would be ideal for recording for longer periods while attached to my helmet.
3-16 06:38
Use props
djiuser_Qsrbvo63C9Nw
lvl.1
Austria

Way to go DJI!
3-16 10:58
Use props
IftiBashir
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_w16UX1dKELGs Posted at 3-16 06:38
Could you also make a Magnetic Adapter Mount for the Action 2 that has a built in USB-C to power the camera while it is mounted without having to have the second module attached? This would be ideal for recording for longer periods while attached to my helmet.

There are 3rd party accessories available.....

3-16 11:57
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Seems like they have listened to people's feedback on overheating. And it's cool that at least some of the people (maybe even all?) will get it free of charge. Well done DJI :-)
3-16 11:57
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very cool accessory and free, can't beat that.  
3-16 13:15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansaaa956a3 Posted at 3-16 05:37
This look so much like the small rig casing ?

Exactly what I thought.  
3-16 13:16
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 158471 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like we all have to wait until at least April 1st according to their post. That might explain why local retailers don't know about it yet. I would say if they admitted to having them, everyone would be hitting them up, lol. I know I probably would.
3-16 13:54
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
Australia

My 3rd party case has just arrived in the country.  Presumably it won't work with the new case detect function.  Oh well.  I don't get overrheating problems anyway, however.  It's close to unheard of for a manufacturer to do a retrospective hardware update like this.  The only other one I can think of was when... DJI issued a free mic to purchasers of the original Osmo camera.  Heh!
3-16 15:44
Use props
WICreekPaddler
Second Officer
United States

This is great!  Thank you!

Question... for those who have a power module and screen module, do we need to purchase the 2nd case for the other module?  Since the modules have different dimensions, I imagine it's not a one size fits all.
3-16 19:30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft

IftiBashir Posted at 3-16 05:47
Updated.
Although checked my DJI account and no coupon issued just yet.....

Hi there, the coupon will be issued to the account before April 8 automatically. Hope you can wait for the notice patiently. You can log into the DJI account that activated DJI Action 2 and visit https://my.dji.com/coupons to check the coupon then.
3-16 20:11
Use props
djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D
Second Officer
New Zealand

Wow, this is a big commitment to their product from DJI. Great to see!
3-16 22:38
Use props
IftiBashir
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interested to see how this actually works. From what I can see is its just adding another layer of metal around the original unit - interested to see if there are any thermal pads inside that help draw heat away from the camera and to the new outer layer......

Would have been better to see a heatsink type design on the external case for more surface area for heat to escape. Considering its just as smooth as the camera module itself I'm not sure how well it will work......
Lets see!
3-17 01:18
Use props
djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D
Second Officer
New Zealand

IftiBashir Posted at 3-17 01:18
Interested to see how this actually works. From what I can see is its just adding another layer of metal around the original unit - interested to see if there are any thermal pads inside that help draw heat away from the camera and to the new outer layer......

Would have been better to see a heatsink type design on the external case for more surface area for heat to escape. Considering its just as smooth as the camera module itself I'm not sure how well it will work......

the description sounds more like the case will be protecting fingertips from the hot camera body instead of helping with heat dissipation.

maybe the “overheating” recording limit is in place to comply with regulations about safe product temperature, rather than prevent damage to the camera?
3-17 01:37
Use props
IftiBashir
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_xSwSveIHap0D Posted at 3-17 01:37
the description sounds more like the case will be protecting fingertips from the hot camera body instead of helping with heat dissipation.

maybe the “overheating” recording limit is in place to comply with regulations about safe product temperature, rather than prevent damage to the camera?

I think you're spot on.
It does seem to state 'extended recording times':

"The Magnetic Protective Case is made of a heat-resistant polymer to make the Camera Unit less restricted by temperature, allowing extended recording times under normal conditions."

"Upon detection, the Camera Unit touchscreen will prompt “Magnetic Protective Case installed,” and activate a heat control solution that increases recording length under normal conditions."

But you are correct also, since its called a 'Protective Case':

"The DJI Action 2 Magnetic Protective Case helps prevent damage to the Camera Unit from impacts, scratches, and abrasions. An additional case is compatible with the Front Touchscreen Module and Power Module. Comprised of a heat-resistant polymer, the Magnetic Protective Case also helps reduce surface temperature to optimize video recording by activating a heat control solution that increases recording length under normal conditions."

So it seems the case is of the same type of material as the Smallrig Protective Case. Its basically the same thing, other then a chip in the case that tells the camera a case is in use, which most likely allows the camera to run hotter for longer since, as you correctly state, it wont burn your fingers as much - it doesn't actually dissipate heat, or reduce heat at all, just lets your camera melt for longer while keeping it safe enough for you to touch!

Its great that DJI are giving these to existing customers for free though - GoPro would probably label it as a new accessory and charge half a kidney for it!
One thing is for sure, it'll kill Smallrig's Protective Case sales!
3-17 02:53
Use props
DubSound
First Officer
Flight distance : 95459 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_bmMoSfyhLMnI Posted at 3-16 05:45
My retailer doesn't know anything about this. Looks like I'll have to pay for one.

If you read the actual post you'd see you don't need to contact your retailer.

People are lazy these days
3-17 04:08
Use props
Racingboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254754 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Nice from DJI that they provide this protective case for free.
3-17 04:34
Use props
Racingboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254754 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

double post
3-17 04:35
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 8434554 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-16 20:11
Hi there, the coupon will be issued to the account before April 8 automatically. Hope you can wait for the notice patiently. You can log into the DJI account that activated DJI Action 2 and visit https://my.dji.com/coupons to check the coupon then.

When will coupon be available, last 2 days nothing for Europe. Could DJI be a bit more clearer on this. Its extremely vague. If the coupon is not available in 3 days “what then” ?
3-17 07:57
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

IftiBashir Posted at 3-17 01:18

Would have been better to see a heatsink type design on the external case for more surface area for heat to escape. Considering its just as smooth as the camera module itself I'm not sure how well it will work......

Interested to see if someone actually gets a coupon
3-17 07:59
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Frontliner 2020 Posted at 3-15 20:19

Did you get it…
3-17 08:01
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

April the  8th which was what was stated as being the date that coupons will be fully distributed, is still a ways off.

Sorry Hallmark, I replied to the wrong post..... my bad

3-17 11:09
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-17 07:57
When will coupon be available, last 2 days nothing for Europe. Could DJI be a bit more clearer on this. Its extremely vague. If the coupon is not available in 3 days “what then” ?

April the  8th which was what was stated as being the date that coupons will be fully distributed, is still a ways off.
3-17 11:10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JodyB Posted at 3-17 11:10

when I click on the link it says for Europe . You will see coupon in the next 3 days and must apply before 31st march. So Its just another bad communication from dji . Thanks for that.
3-17 11:36
Use props
WICreekPaddler
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-17 11:36
when I click on the link it says for Europe . You will see coupon in the next 3 days and must apply before 31st march. So Its just another bad communication from dji . Thanks for that.

Not sure.  I'm not seeing anything about 3 days myself.  The activation time is when you activate your camera on your DJI account from my understanding.  

Anyone who has activated before the end of the month should see the coupon in their account for the free case.  Not sure when those coupons will be issued specifically but they do note it'll be before April 8th.
3-17 11:52
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

WICreekPaddler Posted at 3-17 11:52
Not sure.  I'm not seeing anything about 3 days myself.  The activation time is when you activate your camera on your DJI account from my understanding.  

Anyone who has activated before the end of the month should see the coupon in their account for the free case.  Not sure when those coupons will be issued specifically but they do note it'll be before April 8th.

Cheers Mate thank you.
3-17 12:11
Use props
jhoff80
Second Officer
United States

So if I'm reading this right, there's a part that covers the touchscreen/power module and a part that covers the camera itself.  Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they're sending this for free to those of us who bought the camera previously... but I've got the touchscreen module and I also bought two separate power modules.  Am I going to have to swap the single case between those 3 different parts like I have to with the microSD card?  
3-17 15:47
Use props
IftiBashir
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jhoff80 Posted at 3-17 15:47
So if I'm reading this right, there's a part that covers the touchscreen/power module and a part that covers the camera itself.  Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they're sending this for free to those of us who bought the camera previously... but I've got the touchscreen module and I also bought two separate power modules.  Am I going to have to swap the single case between those 3 different parts like I have to with the microSD card?

You don't have to use the case on the modules - the main thing is the actual camera module, since thats what's more prone to overheat. Hence you can keep the case on the display module, and then use the power modules 'naked' as and when you need to. Not ideal, I know, but would still work fine.

As the dimensions for the display module and power modules are different, I'm not sure the case would fit onto the power module very well anyways.....
3-18 01:16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 9917238 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Can someone explain this to me??  how does it works??

Before : cam gets hot internally , metal housing gets hot too ofcourse....but housing can give this heat away to the surrounding air.
After : cam housing is now covered with an heat-resistant cover...so the outside of the cam does not feel hot....but internally the heat is still there, getting hotter as the housing is now 'isolated'...
UH??

cheers
JJB

3-18 02:57
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
Australia

I have to say that the photo at the top of this thread, showing the Action 2 beside a pair of thick, heat resistant leather gloves, is richly ironic!
3-18 06:02
Use props
IftiBashir
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-18 02:57
Hi,

Can someone explain this to me??  how does it works??

Yes pretty much!
The camera will still produce the same amount of heat - its just that the camera interfaces with a chip in the case, so once it knows the case is on it will allow the camera to get even hotter since it won't burn your fingers as quickly!!
3-18 09:41
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-18 06:02
I have to say that the photo at the top of this thread, showing the Action 2 beside a pair of thick, heat resistant leather gloves, is richly ironic!

I didn't make that correlation until you mentioned about the gloves.... Hilarious
3-18 11:05
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 9917238 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

IftiBashir Posted at 3-18 09:41
Yes pretty much!
The camera will still produce the same amount of heat - its just that the camera interfaces with a chip in the case, so once it knows the case is on it will allow the camera to get even hotter since it won't burn your fingers as quickly!!

oke...

i thought that the temp warning, auto shutt off,  was to protect the internal heat build-up.
Not to protect my fingers....

Hmm, so the internal temp will reach a higher value....wonder what does that do with the lifetime of the action2.

cheers
JJB
3-19 01:05
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules