Broke an arm, JB weld to the rescue
2334 14 2022-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

Save $50 or more and get a bottle of JB Weld Steel reinforced epoxy, set a few layers really thin over until the arm is in place then go crazy with some extra coats, it should take a few days to finish the process because its slow cure time but its rock solid and only like $10

better yet it cures almost the perfect body gray as the stock fpv
2022-3-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice fix,   any pictures?
2022-3-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting fix.  Have you flight tested it yet to see if it will hold up under max speed, dives, etc.?
2022-3-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2022-3-19
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-19 03:46
Interesting fix.  Have you flight tested it yet to see if it will hold up under max speed, dives, etc.?

Flew it in manual mode tonight, did a few flips and dives at 13 degree camera angle, it felt really solid. So when it first crashed the arm broke and the motor was slightly binding up but I didnt notice it. So when I JB welded it back together originally I was unaware of the motors slight resistance to spin.

Flying the first test in normal mode was perfect, i was going in circles around my basketball court with ease and then I gave it some up throttle, a few seconds later it pitched forward into a flip and hit the snow below about 20 feet. Recovering the drone I had no idea the motor wasnt spinning totally smooth and caused an imbalance when flying up.

So I ordered a new motor and landing gear motherboard, installed them and found that the red wire to the motor had snapped inside the drones now fixed arm. So i used my soldering iron and put a small hole into the landing gear so i could route the new red wire to the mainboard. Its not very pretty but the drone flys now!
2022-3-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whoreable Posted at 3-20 00:05
Flew it in manual mode tonight, did a few flips and dives at 13 degree camera angle, it felt really solid. So when it first crashed the arm broke and the motor was slightly binding up but I didnt notice it. So when I JB welded it back together originally I was unaware of the motors slight resistance to spin.

Flying the first test in normal mode was perfect, i was going in circles around my basketball court with ease and then I gave it some up throttle, a few seconds later it pitched forward into a flip and hit the snow below about 20 feet. Recovering the drone I had no idea the motor wasnt spinning totally smooth and caused an imbalance when flying up.

Interesting, very interesting.    Glad it worked out.
2022-3-20
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Interesting. Can you post a few pics. Just crashed mine yesterday, ripped off an arm and again at the motor and ripped off the sensors. I guess this one is a goner.
2022-3-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 3-20 03:23
Interesting. Can you post a few pics. Just crashed mine yesterday, ripped off an arm and again at the motor and ripped off the sensors. I guess this one is a goner.

I’ve not had to do it yet, but from what I’ve read, DJI repair prices on the FPV drone are very reasonable if you aren’t able to do it yourself.
2022-3-20
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

KlooGee Posted at 3-20 04:37
I’ve not had to do it yet, but from what I’ve read, DJI repair prices on the FPV drone are very reasonable if you aren’t able to do it yourself.

Will ask them, thanks.
2022-3-20
Use props
GTS 350
lvl.4

United States

I have never had jb Weld work on anything I tried it on (it has always failed). I would stick to a standard 2 part epoxy for plastic
2022-3-21
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
United States

GTS 350 Posted at 3-21 17:22
I have never had jb Weld work on anything I tried it on (it has always failed). I would stick to a standard 2 part epoxy for plastic

well that must be your fault, i have used JB weld on ATV motor oil filter housings that were cracked, and they generate much more vibration and heat that this drone will ever face.

i suggest you use jb weld to the instructions because jb weld is incredibly reliable in my history
2022-3-21
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
United States

Depp Posted at 3-20 03:23
Interesting. Can you post a few pics. Just crashed mine yesterday, ripped off an arm and again at the motor and ripped off the sensors. I guess this one is a goner.

no photos, just glue it back together if the break wasnt clean enough you may have to purchase another arm, its very easy to re-wire and assemble if you arent a total idiot.
2022-3-21
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Whoreable Posted at 3-21 20:57
no photos, just glue it back together if the break wasnt clean enough you may have to purchase another arm, its very easy to re-wire and assemble if you arent a total idiot.

Well, I guess mine was gone far too much for my repairing skills...
IMG_8367.jpeg

2022-3-21
Use props
GTS 350
lvl.4

United States

Whoreable Posted at 3-21 20:56
well that must be your fault, i have used JB weld on ATV motor oil filter housings that were cracked, and they generate much more vibration and heat that this drone will ever face.

i suggest you use jb weld to the instructions because jb weld is incredibly reliable in my history

Yeah its my fault DB look up the 1000s of jb weld failures.

Good luck with your jb weld repair.
2022-3-22
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
United States

she aint pretty but she flys in manual mode and better than my non crashed backup

drone by None None, on Flickr
2022-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules