6556 14 2022-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_yQsLxoqh0U5y
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169990 ft
Portugal

Hi guys.
I was trying some follow modes on Litchi and all went well.

After that I was using DJI Fly app getting a friend on his bike and the drone lost connection at only 400 meters.

I opted for the mini 2 instead of the SE exactly for this not to happen.

Viewing the fly data I can see RC Signal strong just after getting weak next second and losing the link.

I downloaded the flight data and uploaded to phantomhelp.com but I cannot see the rc signal info.

It was a new urban area with no construction nearby.

kinda frustrated with a 10km drone not making even a 400 meter stretch...

Nuno
2022-3-21
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

HI

You are in CE region so range is only 6Km. 10 Km in FCC region.

Post a share link to your Phantom Help log here for analysis.
2022-3-21
Use props
nmb1970
lvl.2
Portugal

Pleomax Posted at 3-21 11:44
HI

You are in CE region so range is only 6Km. 10 Km in FCC region.

Even with 6Km, 400 meters is a bit short...

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/10MM0QRHY9DLZGB8K50Z/#

Thanks
2022-3-21
Use props
LoveYou
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16525367 ft
Greece

You Flight 10m from the road?  

Try more Altitude and tell me....

You need to learn the basic...
2022-3-21
Use props
nmb1970
lvl.2
Portugal

LoveYou Posted at 3-21 12:03
You Flight 10m from the road?  

Try more Altitude and tell me....

It's my first drone and yes I was trying low altitude to test follow modes on Litchi and then switched to the DJI Fly app.

https://youtu.be/LFNSG5te3KQ

But is altitude the cause of lst connection at only 400m?

I'm always ready to learn
2022-3-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your log.

Easy to see what happend, at disconnect your mini drone was flying at minus -15 meter height.
Uh, yes, see the chart.
Left side of the lower chart = take off position, right part is disconnect position.

So you lost signal as your mini2 was not in line-of-sight for the radio signals.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2022-3-21
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

nmb1970 Posted at 3-21 12:20
It's my first drone and yes I was trying low altitude to test follow modes on Litchi and then switched to the DJI Fly app.

https://youtu.be/LFNSG5te3KQ

Hi again

Yes, altitude to low for good RC reception. Flying below level of antennas will give poor signal.

2022-3-21
Use props
nmb1970
lvl.2
Portugal

Got it!

At least I'm glad it's my fault and not the drone. My stupid mistake.
2022-3-21
Use props
nmb1970
lvl.2
Portugal

Guys you really know this and I was at fault.
2022-3-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

nmb1970 Posted at 3-21 12:39
Got it!

At least I'm glad it's my fault and not the drone. My stupid mistake.

HI,

Learning all the time!

BTW  the most important check before take-off is to check the compass heading in the map view FlyApp and compare this heading with the actual heading of your drone.
If not the same ; do not start a flight.

Many happy landings,
Cheers
JJB
2022-3-21
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

Random question:  What happened after you lost connection?      I believe the default is that the drone does a "Return to Home"?    Did that function work?

I have been very cautious with my unit. . . . I have noted some signal strength degradation in the 300M to 400M range . . . but I definitely have not been in mood to "push it", and have always turned around when I have less than 5 bar strength.
2022-3-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

OneSnark Posted at 3-21 21:15
Random question:  What happened after you lost connection?      I believe the default is that the drone does a "Return to Home"?    Did that function work?

I have been very cautious with my unit. . . . I have noted some signal strength degradation in the 300M to 400M range . . . but I definitely have not been in mood to "push it", and have always turned around when I have less than 5 bar strength.

Hi,

Connection loss only for about 7 seconds, so no RTH as that is started after 11 seconds.

DJI RTH function does work great!, so do have your trust in that.

cheers
JJB
2022-3-21
Use props
nmb1970
lvl.2
Portugal

JJB* Posted at 3-21 23:46
Hi,

Connection loss only for about 7 seconds, so no RTH as that is started after 11 seconds.

Exactly. As soon as I lost connection, I went a bit ahead and got back the connection.
2022-3-22
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Just to add ...

Old German saying: "HF geht seltsame Wege ..." - High frequency works in mysterious ways ...
The higher a frequency, the lower it's ability to penetrate solid objects, like hills, houses, even trees. Sometimes it still works, but that's because of more of less random reflections. So you can never rely on that, thus try to keep a real visual line of sight to your drone all the time - especially if it's further away.

Something more to keep in mind in an urban environment:
Structures, buildings, all the like. A single obstruction might cut your connection.
Plus: Wi-Fi everywhere. If you're in a densely populated area, chances are high that Wi-Fi devices flood all channels available to your drone.
Plus: Vehicles. I see an older motorbike in your video. Sparks from the spark plug (especially with older vehicles) often cause wild disturbances in the high frequency spectrum which also might interfere with your drone's wireless connection.

The wireless coverage of your Mini 2 is great and very solid - but it also cannot defy the rules of physics.
2022-3-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. We're glad that you have already managed to isolate the issue with the help of our fellow DJI Pilots here in Forum. We strongly recommend to fly the aircraft in an open space away from cell towers and any possible interference to avoid disconnection. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules