Battery Discharge Options
1124 12 2022-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dr6583
lvl.4
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

Is it safe to discharge the A2S batteries by charging my phone?  I find this much safer and less "wear and tear" than powering up the drone as has been suggested in another thread.  But my question is, is it OK for the batteries?

They don't seem to read 100% anymore when the drone is first powered on, and they seem to drain quickly.  They have around 15 charging cycles on them.  Last flight was 19 minutes, it auto RTH for low battery (around 30%), and it auto landed right over the pad, thankfully, with critical low battery.
2022-3-22
Use props
tonered
lvl.4
Flight distance : 279383 ft
United States

I might be missing something obvious here, but the batteries self drain down if not used for a period of time.  I recall about 95% if not used in a couple days and less than 50% if left for a week.  Or, something like that.  Also if left for a long time, they go into a safe hibernating mode, like they were when you first unpacked them.
Modern batteries do not like full discharge drains.  Doing so can do permanent damage or ruin them completely.  It is hard for me after growing up with NiCads.

2022-3-22
Use props
tonered
lvl.4
United States

Found the info.  See attached.
Screenshot 2022-03-22 141239.png
2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Usually after a few days hibernation 50/60 % . After 24 hrs battery will reduce to 96% this is to eliminate chances of battery swelling.

Yes its ok to use for charging devices. 19 minutes is very short to critical battery. Maybe it was how you were using your drone on the day or weather or both.
2022-3-22
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 14:00
Usually after a few days hibernation 50/60 % . After 24 hrs battery will reduce to 96% this is to eliminate chances of battery swelling.

Yes its ok to use for charging devices. 19 minutes is very short to critical battery. Maybe it was how you were using your drone on the day or weather or both.

For some reason I don't think I'm getting 50-60% after a few days.  After a few days they might have 3 solid lights.  I think that's closer to 75%?

Also, when I discharge them, whether by flying or charging my phone, I have never let the battery get below 20% (or 1 solid light) until that flight yesterday.  Only 1 flashing light.  So let me ask a related question.  Is it a bad thing if I charge them before they get too low?  For ex. can I "top them off" safely if one has 3 solid lights?  Will something like that damage the battery?

It just seems I am not getting close enough to the advertised flight time of 31 minutes.  And yes, I do tend to "put the pedal to the medal" a lot, and there is usually a decent wind, so I'm sure that affects them.

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dr6583 Posted at 3-22 14:28
For some reason I don't think I'm getting 50-60% after a few days.  After a few days they might have 3 solid lights.  I think that's closer to 75%?

Also, when I discharge them, whether by flying or charging my phone, I have never let the battery get below 20% (or 1 solid light) until that flight yesterday.  Only 1 flashing light.  So let me ask a related question.  Is it a bad thing if I charge them before they get too low?  For ex. can I "top them off" safely if one has 3 solid lights?  Will something like that damage the battery?

Ok so after a few days they should hibernate at 2.5 flashing lights, this is hibernation. Charging or topping up to 100% before flying is the only way you should go flying. I have tried to fly with a battery that showed 60% and had been lying for over a week, within 2/3 minutes it had hit critical battery. So now I will never fly unless I’m using a freshly charged battery. So yes top up all batteries before flying.
2022-3-22
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
United States

tonered Posted at 3-22 13:13
Found the info.  See attached.

Thank you for this info.
2022-3-22
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-22 14:47
Ok so after a few days they should hibernate at 2.5 flashing lights, this is hibernation. Charging or topping up to 100% before flying is the only way you should go flying. I have tried to fly with a battery that showed 60% and had been lying for over a week, within 2/3 minutes it had hit critical battery. So now I will never fly unless I’m using a freshly charged battery. So yes top up all batteries before flying.

Thanks for clarifying that.  I also found a chart in the manual further explaining the charged status via the indicator lights.

2022-3-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dr6583. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. For reference the DJI Air 2S has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... delines_v1.0_eu.pdf

2022-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dr6583 Posted at 3-22 19:47
Thanks for clarifying that.  I also found a chart in the manual further explaining the charged status via the indicator lights.

[view_image]

No problem good luck.
2022-3-23
Use props
tonered
lvl.4
United States

dr6583 Posted at 3-22 19:32
Thank you for this info.

You're welcome!
2022-3-23
Use props
Hrodnand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972293 ft
Romania

tonered Posted at 3-22 13:00
I might be missing something obvious here, but the batteries self drain down if not used for a period of time.  I recall about 95% if not used in a couple days and less than 50% if left for a week.  Or, something like that.  Also if left for a long time, they go into a safe hibernating mode, like they were when you first unpacked them.
Modern batteries do not like full discharge drains.  Doing so can do permanent damage or ruin them completely.  It is hard for me after growing up with NiCads.

”Also if left for a long time, they go into a safe hibernating mode, like they were when you first unpacked them.”

Can you confirm this? Because this isn't listed among the battery features.
2022-3-24
Use props
tonered
lvl.4
United States

Hrodnand Posted at 3-24 04:20
”Also if left for a long time, they go into a safe hibernating mode, like they were when you first unpacked them.”

Can you confirm this? Because this isn't listed among the battery features.

It looks like I crossed up two of the features:

My apologies!
2022-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules