Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New DJI Mavic 3 firmware Released (3/23/2022)
17561 200 2022-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneBuffer
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
United States

KokoFresha Posted at 3-23 08:41
Now I'm back from my first flight after the update. 3 hours after the update (drone off, battery removed) the starting point was recorded after 2 minutes. It took 4 minutes at the exact same location as the previous firmware. This is a tangible improvement. The first 4 satellites lock in 40 seconds, the first 7 in about 1 minute and 10 seconds. I will monitor the time of locking in the next flights, but I already have initial observations. Better lock time, but far from acceptable compared to other company drones. There is probably a big difference between the quality of the GPS modules of our drones. Some are lucky, others are not. In my eyes, the GPS remains in the minus column of this drone.

Some people have complained about slow GPS times in EU of which the war is having an affect on with regards to Russian Satellites.
2022-3-23
Use props
DroneBuffer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-23 16:16
No, but sometimes, for whatever reason, updates do not completely overwrite the needed files. Doing a FW refresh can finish the process. I have read on here and Pilots where a second try has worked. No harm in trying.

Whenever I update the drone I will always install it twice, just a habit I have.
2022-3-23
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-23 17:56
Cold start? Open area? Same area where you were having slow acquisition before?

Cold start:  Yes.  Open area:  Yes.  Same area as prior slow starts:  Yes.
2022-3-23
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Hong Kong

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-23 17:32
There must be something else going on hear because some people never had issues with GPS and others do. Hope it's not a hardware issue because how will they handle that type of recall?

we based in Hong Kong South East Asia region do not getting that long locking time (+4min) even without the newly released firmware (.....0.0600) .
it still capture over 10-14 sat in less than 2 min.( same as my old M2P) .
it might  not directly hardware related or the batches of the M3 distributed all around the world might not in same condition , just my tuppence.
2022-3-23
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am experience same problems with the GPS taking long and Obstacle Avoidance as well. Air sense continue broken.
2022-3-23
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152044 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine went from about 30 seconds or so to get a lock to less than 10 here in Oregon. Hoping the issues get sorted out for those having issues quickly!
2022-3-23
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-23 18:34
All you did was start the drone before the RC?

Yes.  The only impact I am aware of is that this starts the process of the drone acquiring lock while I take time to set up the rest of my equipment.  The drone gets a head start.  This was Hallmark's approach he shared a month ago, to deal with the extended lock time.  I adopted this approach for my own I pre-flight process, and I used it today out of habit.  For the first time, I had "immediate" lock.  It was not truly immediate, as the drone did have a head start.  But in every other "head start" I have ever attempted, I still had a bit of wait time after RC/Drone connect.  In today's test, lock apparently was achieved in the time it took me to set up the RC, connect the phone, and interact with the Fly app.
2022-3-23
Use props
Virgil Quick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

My early tests indicate that Improved GPS lock speed only seem to take place if the drone is located in an area clear of any obstructions.  Also, I must admit that since it took DJI so long to release this update I am profoundly disappointed that we did not get more improvements and new features.
2022-3-23
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 3-23 07:41
to clarify.  my drone still takes a long time to connect to satellites.  about 5 min this am, after the update.

ill go try again.

Same for me.. 5 minutes today after update. Longer then usual.
2022-3-23
Use props
Michaelpop84
lvl.3
Flight distance : 264354 ft
Luxembourg

Did the update. After 10 minutes I still have 3 satellites under clear sky...
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 3-23 19:17
Yes.  The only impact I am aware of is that this starts the process of the drone acquiring lock while I take time to set up the rest of my equipment.  The drone gets a head start.  This was Hallmark's approach he shared a month ago, to deal with the extended lock time.  I adopted this approach for my own I pre-flight process, and I used it today out of habit.  For the first time, I had "immediate" lock.  It was not truly immediate, as the drone did have a head start.  But in every other "head start" I have ever attempted, I still had a bit of wait time after RC/Drone connect.  In today's test, lock apparently was achieved in the time it took me to set up the RC, connect the phone, and interact with the Fly app.

I did update, I live rurally so no problem finding open area, I got home point lock at 50 seconds on 11 sats.
2022-3-24
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

I did one fast test last night, as it took me forever to get the firmware updated. The download speed was crawling so slow that it took hours to download it. It was not an issue with my connection, but the download just would not go. The RC Pro update was also much larger at about 1.3GB. The drone firmware was just 374MB or something. Once I finally got it all installed I ran a quick test just outside my garage. 5 minutes to get homepoint lock. Was pretty surprised. It shot up to around 10 sats pretty fast - way faster than normal, but then sat at 9 / 10 sats for several minutes before finally going up and locking home point. I will need to do additional testing away from the house.
2022-3-24
Use props
Flire8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2546572 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

I agree with the others. With the new firmware, searching for satellites takes as long as before, about 3-5 minutes. No change, unfortunately.
2022-3-24
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Hong Kong

This could give an idea

2022-3-24
Use props
jcharles
lvl.1
Flight distance : 368878 ft
France

I did the update yesterday and I still have this problem acquiring the GPS. It takes me 8 to 10 minutes to get 10 satellites !I hope that a solution can be provided quickly because it is painful.
1648137569859.jpg
2022-3-24
Use props
MikeVi16
lvl.2
Flight distance : 582073 ft
Antigua and Barbuda

Bussty Posted at 3-22 20:13
I sense right now there are 1000's of Mavic 3 flyers all around the world busily updating their Mavic 3's and connecting to GPS about 10 times just to make sure! Hope it all goes well. I'll be one of you very soon!

Living in the Virgin Islands and it seemed to connect really fast. Would say around 1 minute to lock 12 satellites.
2022-3-24
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 3-24 04:45
I did one fast test last night, as it took me forever to get the firmware updated. The download speed was crawling so slow that it took hours to download it. It was not an issue with my connection, but the download just would not go. The RC Pro update was also much larger at about 1.3GB. The drone firmware was just 374MB or something. Once I finally got it all installed I ran a quick test just outside my garage. 5 minutes to get homepoint lock. Was pretty surprised. It shot up to around 10 sats pretty fast - way faster than normal, but then sat at 9 / 10 sats for several minutes before finally going up and locking home point. I will need to do additional testing away from the house.
This is something I am experiencing, too.  It gets just under the 12 sats needed for a full lock and then takes forever to get those last few...seems like struggling for communication with the sat for the final locks.....still have to believe this can be improved because the Mini2/Mavic 2 Pro are not having this issue.

All that being said, I did get a lock within 3 minutes.  Also, if I turned the mavic 3 off after a flight and turned it back on with the same or a different  battery, in every subsequent power on the sat connection was wicked fast...within like 20 secs.

So, my net observations
1.  First group of sats connects quite quickly
2.  Last couple sats (to get full strong lock) takes about 2-3x the time to connect vs the first groups
3.  Overall sat lock does seem a bit better than previous fw, but nowhere near my M2P and Mini2
4.  If you power off the drone and power back on with the same battery or a different battery in the same spot lock is wicked fast

Using RC Pro in VT
2022-3-24
Use props
JayOhio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289446 ft
United States

TeddyBozeman Posted at 3-23 19:16
Mine went from about 30 seconds or so to get a lock to less than 10 here in Oregon. Hoping the issues get sorted out for those having issues quickly!

About the same here used to be right around 1 minute, now it's about 30-40 seconds from 4 different locations.
2022-3-24
Use props
christangey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27719574 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mzp Posted at 3-23 03:59
Unfortunately HLG was not added based on description of what's new, have not tried the update yet. Not sure if it's the camera limitation or DJI has not gotten around it yet.

Yes, some of my my clients require a HDR format for future-proofing so lack of HLG is disappointing. Doubt if it is a camera issue though.
2022-3-24
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

christangey1 Posted at 3-24 16:14
Yes, some of my my clients require a HDR format for future-proofing so lack of HLG is disappointing. Doubt if it is a camera issue though.

Seems like this firmware did not come with any new features. Hoping the next iteration will come with features as well as HLG HDR.
2022-3-24
Use props
Maestro N.S.E.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18091 ft
Slovakia

I cant find DJI Fly app on google store  only at samsung store but the app is not working on my Galaxy S22 Ultra any idea or fix?
2022-3-25
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's been 3 days now since the "official" release of this new firmware and it's obvious by now that for some it's worked and for many others it has not, me included. I haven't searched every thread but has there even been a "Peep" from one of the DJI moderators as to them being aware of this half ass baked firmware working for some and not others?
2022-3-25
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maestro N.S.E. Posted at 3-25 05:36
I cant find DJI Fly app on google store  only at samsung store but the app is not working on my Galaxy S22 Ultra any idea or fix?
You need to download and install from dji.com in the support and download section.
2022-3-25
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This is very strange indeed. I upgraded to the latest firmware on the afternoon of the 23rd with no change for the better. About 1/2 hour ago, I started a warranty repair through DJI and through live chat, DJI wanted to know what my aircraft firware and remote version I was on. That's when I noticed that my AC firmware was still on .0050 and not .0060. There is no doubt that the firmware update I performed on the 23rd was complete. How could this possibly be? Just a few minutes ago I did update again to the latest but haven't started it back up again because it wouldn't be a true cold start. I'll wait a few hours before starting aircraft so maybe if I'm lucky?.........
2022-3-25
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-25 09:10
This is very strange indeed. I upgraded to the latest firmware on the afternoon of the 23rd with no change for the better. About 1/2 hour ago, I started a warranty repair through DJI and through live chat, DJI wanted to know what my aircraft firware and remote version I was on. That's when I noticed that my AC firmware was still on .0050 and not .0060. There is no doubt that the firmware update I performed on the 23rd was complete. How could this possibly be? Just a few minutes ago I did update again to the latest but haven't started it back up again because it wouldn't be a true cold start. I'll wait a few hours before starting aircraft so maybe if I'm lucky?.........

This COULD be good news?????  Though I don't understand it, I have had one situation with a past DJI drone where I performed the firmware update via the app, whereby all reports were "successful".  In spite of this, my aircraft was not executing the fix (I do not recall what that fix was).  I then did the update though the "assistant", and my aircraft did perform well.

I recommended to another user that they try the update via "assistant", and I am anxious to hear from you how well your craft performs once you know you are doing a "cold" boot.
2022-3-25
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 3-25 09:53
This COULD be good news?????  Though I don't understand it, I have had one situation with a past DJI drone where I performed the firmware update via the app, whereby all reports were "successful".  In spite of this, my aircraft was not executing the fix (I do not recall what that fix was).  I then did the update though the "assistant", and my aircraft did perform well.

I recommended to another user that they try the update via "assistant", and I am anxious to hear from you how well your craft performs once you know you are doing a "cold" boot.

1:54:21. Better by at least a minute and a half
2022-3-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have done more trials this last 2 days and the results are very confusing, 5 out of 7 cold starts and I had to wait more than 4 mins, 1 was 35 sec, 1 was 3.5 mins, twice I gave up after 5/6 mins. After waiting so long for a fix Dji this is getting ridiculous now.
2022-3-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneBuffer Posted at 3-23 18:13
Whenever I update the drone I will always install it twice, just a habit I have.

Thanks, I am going to give this a go.
2022-3-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 3-25 09:53
This COULD be good news?????  Though I don't understand it, I have had one situation with a past DJI drone where I performed the firmware update via the app, whereby all reports were "successful".  In spite of this, my aircraft was not executing the fix (I do not recall what that fix was).  I then did the update though the "assistant", and my aircraft did perform well.

I recommended to another user that they try the update via "assistant", and I am anxious to hear from you how well your craft performs once you know you are doing a "cold" boot.

I updated with the assistant with mixed results, mostly negative, but going to try the double install as mentioned by Drone Buff.  Good that all these suggestions are coming out, pity Dji don't come with some.. and not just half baked updates.
2022-3-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 3-25 13:34
Thanks, I am going to give this a go.

No problems, it is just a habit I picked up doing security software so I do this with any product that needs software updating.
2022-3-25
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 3-25 14:01
No problems, it is just a habit I picked up doing security software so I do this with any product that needs software updating.

Just re-installed/refreshed, will give it a cold start in the morning, 2200hrs here in UK. Thanks again for tip.
2022-3-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Grimtheviking Posted at 3-25 14:10
Just re-installed/refreshed, will give it a cold start in the morning, 2200hrs here in UK. Thanks again for tip.

2022-3-25
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-25 12:41

WOOHOO!!!!!!!  I've always hated the advice "use the Assistant app to apply the firmware", because if I get notified through the fly app that the firmware was applied successfully, I don't think it foolish to conclude that the firmware was applied successfully.  It's worth everyone else who is not perceiving an improvement to apply the firmware with the assistant.
2022-3-25
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-25 12:41

Hope I gave it enough times between launches to consider a true cold start but this time it took 1:24:82. I'm feeling better about this
2022-3-25
Use props
Tony64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65574 ft
United Kingdom

I'm seeing a difference, used to take on average 4 -8 min (NW UK) now around 1-2 min
2022-3-25
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-25 15:48
Try it again tomorrow after the Ephemeris data falls out of the drone's memory. I suspect it won't be a great result, although I'm crossing fingers for you.

You are correct with totally unacceptable results after a cold start this morning. 3:26.55
2022-3-26
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After a double refresh install with the assistant app, results just the same really. both cold starts this morning 3.5-4mins. Disappointing and frustrating but Thanks for the suggestion anyway Suren. May try back tracking to last firmware with assistant and then install through Fly app. Worth a try I suppose..
2022-3-26
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-26 06:52
You are correct with totally unacceptable results after a cold start this morning. 3:26.55

This is exactly how it happened with mine, 1st and 2nd cold start after update 35sec and 30sec, next day and after anywhere between 3.5-6mins so frustrating...
2022-3-26
Use props
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This issue is a no brainer. DJI sourced different GPS chips. Some work and some do not. They are desperately trying to resolve via firmware.
2022-3-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

pjglad Posted at 3-26 16:29
This issue is a no brainer. DJI sourced different GPS chips. Some work and some do not. They are desperately trying to resolve via firmware.

Why did they all work before December none or very few after that then more worked after last update ?
2022-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules