New DJI Mavic 3 firmware Released (3/23/2022)
17650 200 2022-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Grimtheviking Posted at 3-26 14:39
After a double refresh install with the assistant app, results just the same really. both cold starts this morning 3.5-4mins. Disappointing and frustrating but Thanks for the suggestion anyway Suren. May try back tracking to last firmware with assistant and then install through Fly app. Worth a try I suppose..

So, I was testing the old 0300 FW which was out prior to the December update for Airsense to see if it worked properly there( which it was) and then went to 0400 - 0500 - 0600 - 0601. Before I got to 0601 the other firmwares actually did faster GPS lock, not sure why and it was all cold boots 2 hours apart. Could it be because I used Dronehacks to install the software and not assistant 2, I don't know but it just all seemed much faster then what it was
2022-3-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 3-26 16:43
Why did they all work before December none or very few after that then more worked after last update ?

That is truely the real mystery here. How come no one actually complained about long gps wait times prior to the December FW, not even me. After this update the complaints started pouring in. I even rolled back to 0300 yesterday and the lock time was 30 seconds to less with 8 sats only, what changed is a mystery.
2022-3-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-26 18:31
Cold boots may need to be longer than 2 hours apart. I’m not sure how long the chip holds almanac and ephemeris data but I think it’s longer than that. The intervening power ups may have been “warm”.

“Drone Hacks” uses the exact same method to flash your firmware as Assistant. Hence the need to install Assistant prior to flashing fw (Assistant provides the drivers).

A cold boot can be done after an hour, I know as I tested that when I was having GPS issues. After an hour if you power up you will see no sats or I did not see any sats for minutes on end but to be safe I waited 2 hours and with the battery removed. 2 Hours proved to be enough time to simulate a cold boot
2022-3-26
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Hong Kong

Today, 27th Mar , was the maiden flight for My Mavic 3 Cine.
I was quite nervous after reading a lot of comments and complains about satellite locking issues.
My experience with first flight was:
1- Turned on drone then RC Pro.
2- Within  less than a minute ( I guess about 40sec)  it captured the 12 satellites and home point recorded immediately.
3-After took off at about 4-6 m hight,  smoothly captured satellites and  reached to 18 nos then at altitude about 20m  , total  30 satellites locked and during the 30 min fight time ,no  signal or locked satellite number dropped.
4-After I replaced the battery,  second flight was exactly like the first one.

The area, where I took off, was very densely populated city center and surrounded by the high-rise skyscrapers ( ~200-250m hight) and  sky was over casted.
From my first experience,  I am fully satisfied with the performance of the signal strength and elapsed time to lock the satellite.
Btw,  at same location , same weather condition , my old M2P was taking even longer time ( +2 minutes) to lock satellite and  number of the locked satellites  never goes over 15-18.
2022-3-27
Use props
LoftyAmbitions
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69275 ft
United States

akozc Posted at 3-27 00:13
Today, 27th Mar , was the maiden flight for My Mavic 3 Cine.
I was quite nervous after reading a lot of comments and complains about satellite locking issues.
My experience with first flight was:

Your experience is not the norm. Last night my Mavic 3 quickly jumped up to 10 satellites from a cold boot and bounced back and forth between 9 and 11 for nearly 10 minutes before setting the home point.

I have the current version of UAV Forecast set for Galileo, GPS and Beidou. It predicted that I had 30 sat available and expected to lock on 24. During the 30 minute flight, the sat count never went above 15 and went as low as 12.

I have never seen more than 20 satellites on my Mavic 3. Your results make me wonder if  DJI is making quiet changes to the hardware on the newer M3s. Please let us know if all of your flights are as successful.

There is almost definitely more going on inside the M3s besides slow GNSS searches.
2022-3-27
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoftyAmbitions Posted at 3-27 01:22
Your experience is not the norm. Last night my Mavic 3 quickly jumped up to 10 satellites from a cold boot and bounced back and forth between 9 and 11 for nearly 10 minutes before setting the home point.

I have the current version of UAV Forecast set for Galileo, GPS and Beidou. It predicted that I had 30 sat available and expected to lock on 24. During the 30 minute flight, the sat count never went above 15 and went as low as 12.

Same issue. Definitely something strange going on here..
2022-3-27
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 3-26 18:11
So, I was testing the old 0300 FW which was out prior to the December update for Airsense to see if it worked properly there( which it was) and then went to 0400 - 0500 - 0600 - 0601. Before I got to 0601 the other firmwares actually did faster GPS lock, not sure why and it was all cold boots 2 hours apart. Could it be because I used Dronehacks to install the software and not assistant 2, I don't know but it just all seemed much faster then what it was

Just downgraded firmware to one before this one with assistant, then upgraded via Fly app. Did a cold start and over 9 mins before home point update.... 12 sats.
2022-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have the current version of UAV Forecast set for Galileo, GPS and Beidou. It predicted that I had 30 sat available and expected to lock on 24. During the 30 minute flight, the sat count never went above 15 and went as low as 12.

That doesn’t sound normal. from what I read it difficult to get the homepoint lock but after that the reception is excellent across the board, so maybe you need to look at that . Both times I flew since update I had enough reception to lock homepoint when app was showing 10 as the amount of sats but reception was clearly in the  white, so homepoint recorded. It has been said that uploading data particularly in cases like yours might help get some answers to this. Small chance I know but it doesn’t look like anyone is listening around here.
2022-3-27
Use props
LoftyAmbitions
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-27 03:19
That doesn’t sound normal. from what I read it difficult to get the homepoint lock but after that the reception is excellent across the board, so maybe you need to look at that . Both times I flew since update I had enough reception to lock homepoint when app was showing 10 as the amount of sats but reception was clearly in the  white, so homepoint recorded. It has been said that uploading data particularly in cases like yours might help get some answers to this. Small chance I know but it doesn’t look like anyone is listening around here.

What would be useful would be if there was a way to export the satellites and constellations being used without tearing the Mavic apart to get to the chip. I don't think there is an easy way to get to that data. Someone can steer me in the right direction if I am mistaken.

Its absolutely pure speculation but I often feel like either the Mavic 3 is only running on  two constellations instead of three or the sensitivity of the gps chip is impeded in some way so that it picks up less sats and drops them more frequently.

Speculation like this is useless and could be entirely off base. We really need someone with expertise to do a deep dive on one of the M3s and see if the answers are there.
2022-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LoftyAmbitions Posted at 3-27 04:21
What would be useful would be if there was a way to export the satellites and constellations being used without tearing the Mavic apart to get to the chip. I don't think there is an easy way to get to that data. Someone can steer me in the right direction if I am mistaken.

Its absolutely pure speculation but I often feel like either the Mavic 3 is only running on  two constellations instead of three or the sensitivity of the gps chip is impeded in some way so that it picks up less sats and drops them more frequently.

I agree with you on the speculation. On a warm start my drone picks up sats very easy so it would seem its working then. Its very strange they had so long to beta this but decided to release with no instruction and half baked into some. Surely this showed up in testing so it can only be said that something is not right here.
2022-3-27
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8336266 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Updated to latest firmware and GPS fix is in my case significantly faster. New issue in my case is object tracking where picture in Android DJI Fly app freeze and visual control is lost, therefore object tracking need to be stopped to keep flying safe and picture unfreeze back to live view after couple of seconds like 20-40 in my case.
Used Samsung S22 Ultra Exynos, NC-1 remote and Mavic 3 :-) all in latest available firmwares and softwares. Tested twice after reboot with the same result.
2022-3-27
Use props
Javierz0509
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6321804 ft
United States

I did a test with the new firmware and here are my results, before it would take me 2 min to get 12 satellites and ready to fly.

2022-3-27
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 3-26 18:14
That is truely the real mystery here. How come no one actually complained about long gps wait times prior to the December FW, not even me. After this update the complaints started pouring in. I even rolled back to 0300 yesterday and the lock time was 30 seconds to less with 8 sats only, what changed is a mystery.

It actually might not be as much of a mystery if the root cause posted by one of the other forum members (I think it was AerialZup2, but I'm getting old, so might be remembering that incorrectly :-) ) is correct on what has happened by DJI selecting the automotive chip.

Basically, because of all the added features that utilize the memory and GPS system that were added in Dec and Jan updates are creating a bottleneck in the memory for satellite acquisition data.

I have kept quiet about the selection of the automotive chip over the professional chip, but I will actually defend DJI on this one a bit.   There is a real shortage of chips on the market...just look at the mess with the automobile industry!    It sounds like the automotive version of these GPS chips were easier to 'come by' and could actually save the production line.   And, I know from experience, automotive chips go through a LOT LOT LOT more robust testing in manufacturing because automotive industries literally expect ZERO defects.   Now, if in the specs these two chips looked technically 'identical' as far as application use of them (and I don't know, I'm speculating) then it would make sense to switch to these chips.

However, it does appear that there is a difference in implementation for these chips and (again speculating) perhaps the 'rush to market' failed to test these enough prior to release to catch the issue.

I wouldn't think there is a hardware issue with these GPS chips themselves.  Rather, it is how the logic architecture around the chip and the software (firmware) using the function are implemented.

I'm hoping that the logic architecture (this includes external memory usage, etc) is good enough that as DJI becomes more familiar with proper usage of this chip that, perhaps, firmware tweaks will improve the cold boot time of satellite acquisition...I don't know if they can store the ephemeris data in the internal 'non volatile' memory (i.e. won't erase when power is removed) or even our externa SD memory on a phone or RC Pro controller, but bottom line is they need to focus on the cold boot specifically to help relax the community.    Subsequent boots are very very fast once you've already go that ephemeris data downloaded and go through the 'pain' of the first cold boot.    If they can work with the chip manufacturer to really tweak their firmware, we could see even more improvements down the road.

I'm paraphrasing the details given in that post, but it is a good read if you search for it.
2022-3-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 3-27 17:16
It actually might not be as much of a mystery if the root cause posted by one of the other forum members (I think it was AerialZup2, but I'm getting old, so might be remembering that incorrectly :-) ) is correct on what has happened by DJI selecting the automotive chip.

Basically, because of all the added features that utilize the memory and GPS system that were added in Dec and Jan updates are creating a bottleneck in the memory for satellite acquisition data.

Thanks for sharing, I know of this thread already
2022-3-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

This was one of the first mentions of how slow it was to aquire homepoint.
2022-3-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-27 18:25
This was one of the first mentions of how slow it was to aquire homepoint.

Virgil Quick
First Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft

+ Add Friend
Personal Message
United States

4#
Slow to acquire satellites.  Feel like I can read War and Peace waiting for a lock.

2021-12-13
Reply Upvote 1 Downvote 0 Report
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 9465932 ft

+ Add Friend
Personal Message
New Zealand

2022-3-27
Use props
OlliM1971
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309199 ft
Germany

After a few happy years with the Mavic 2 Pro, I ordered the Mavic 3 last week. It will get to me today or tomorrow. However, I was really hoping that the GPS issue would be resolved. But after reading all the GPS related threads on this and other forums and watching several YouTube videos with the results after the last firmware update, I believe it is indeed a hardware issue :-(. What a disaster I emailed DJI yesterday but don't expect an honest reply so it will probably be returned unpacked.
2022-3-27
Use props
djiuser_2fatnlWTKf8F
Banned

United States

OlliM1971 Posted at 3-27 23:29
After a few happy years with the Mavic 2 Pro, I ordered the Mavic 3 last week. It will get to me today or tomorrow. However, I was really hoping that the GPS issue would be resolved. But after reading all the GPS related threads on this and other forums and watching several YouTube videos with the results after the last firmware update, I believe it is indeed a hardware issue :-(. What a disaster I emailed DJI yesterday but don't expect an honest reply so it will probably be returned unpacked.
Smart move.  Many are unhappy that they are stuck with the Mavic 3 and can’t return it. You dodged a bullet- consider yourself lucky. #GPSGate is real. Notice how the thread with over 5500 views in 3 days got pulled?
2022-3-28
Use props
djiuser_CgYhBqmxP83j
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1078150 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-23 11:20
You used 3% while the drone was waiting for GPS. On the ground these batteries will last 4 hours. Something amiss with your battery. That would be equivalent to battery only lasting an hour.

Could just be like me in live in very hot place and the cooling fan is on cause it is sitting still is at high speed eating battery.
2022-3-28
Use props
Snoopy2
Banned

United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmTLs3ofcs
2022-3-28
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Snoopy2 Posted at 3-28 12:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmTLs3ofcs

Lol this guy is hilarious. He is very wishy washy. Thanks for sharing . Very entertaining.
2022-3-28
Use props
Snoopy2
Banned

United States

https://dronexl.co/2022/03/28/dji-mavic-3-gps-problem/
Maybe while you're at it- blame faulty airplane transponders for your airsense not working.
2022-3-28
Use props
fans9d66199f
lvl.3
Russia

Hello everyone from Vladivostok. I want to share my observations on the new firmware. I fly weekly to 5 different construction sites in different locations in the city. before the update, my satellite blocking results were disappointing, like everyone else's... After, in 3 locations out of 5, the satellites were blocked for 1.5 minutes, in one for 5 minutes, in the other for 4 minutes ... Well, it's better than before... I hope this is not the last update and things will get better ...
2022-3-28
Use props
fans9d66199f
lvl.3
Russia

I apologize for the offtopic, but how do I put my real name and my country in my profile?

2022-3-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

fans9d66199f Posted at 3-29 00:01
I apologize for the offtopic, but how do I put my real name and my country in my profile?

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Click on your avatar top right of the screen (you are currently a drone :-) ) then select settings. Then you can change your name and avatar but I think country is from your internet location.

Good luck!
2022-3-29
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Today, 29th Mar ,done another test  @ same location same weather condition
1- Cold start: M3 locked the 12 satellites  in even shorter time = in 30sec
At altitude about 6 m number of the satellites increased to 27 nos constantly in about 15 sec time frame.at cruise altitude (90m)  peaked up to 29 nos and during 25 min flight never ever drop the locked satellites.

2- Did a warm start after replacing the battery:  it is instantly locked the 26 satellites  even without take off.
So looks OK to me.
2022-3-29
Use props
LoftyAmbitions
lvl.4
United States

akozc Posted at 3-29 01:50
Today, 29th Mar ,done another test  @ same location same weather condition
1- Cold start: M3 locked the 12 satellites  in even shorter time = in 30sec
At altitude about 6 m number of the satellites increased to 27 nos constantly in about 15 sec time frame.at cruise altitude (90m)  peaked up to 29 nos and during 25 min flight never ever drop the locked satellites.

A couple of questions which might help some of us:

Does your Mavic 3 have the Oval or Round Telephoto lens?

How long ago and who did you purchase the Mavic 3 from?

I am hoping to start to find a trend in the long wait times and if its possible that new M3s are coming off the production line with better GPS.

North America and the UK seem to be producing the most reports of long acquisition times. You are launching from the Hong Kong region I assume, so that can be a factor as well.
2022-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LoftyAmbitions Posted at 3-29 02:32

Would you be better starting a new thread?
2022-3-29
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Hong Kong

I have purchased my M3 Cine in 6th March in Hong Kong. and yes based on Hong Kong as well.
I didn't realised the shape of the TF lens but it looks round to me.
2022-3-29
Use props
LoftyAmbitions
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-29 02:51
Would you be better starting a new thread?

I will do that at some point soon and start collecting data. Just responding here because that is where his post is. It refreshing to see someone with success. 30 sat locked iis just a dream for me.
2022-3-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Maybe add to that if Cine or not? Have seen some posts from cine users saying they are fine but could just be coincidence.
2022-3-29
Use props
fans688d9c52
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4599314 ft
Chile

No es posible que luego de tres meses del lanzamiento de su Mavic 3 de última generación aún los usuarios tengamos problemas de conexión es una falta de respeto una estafa, correspondería hacer una demanda colectiva al promover y comercializar un drone que no cumple con la calidad y prestaciones ofrecidas
2022-3-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

fans688d9c52 Posted at 3-29 18:24
No es posible que luego de tres meses del lanzamiento de su Mavic 3 de última generación aún los usuarios tengamos problemas de conexión es una falta de respeto una estafa, correspondería hacer una demanda colectiva al promover y comercializar un drone que no cumple con la calidad y prestaciones ofrecidas

"It is not possible that after three months of the launch of its latest generation Mavic 3, users still have connection problems, it is a lack of respect, a scam, it would be appropriate to make a class action lawsuit by promoting and marketing a drone that does not meet the quality and benefits offered"

I think this may already be happening looking at some of the comments. But there are a few having a close look at this so hoping some definitive information to come out about just what is happen in the next week or so...
2022-3-29
Use props
Snoopy2
Banned

United States

Bussty Posted at 3-29 19:04
"It is not possible that after three months of the launch of its latest generation Mavic 3, users still have connection problems, it is a lack of respect, a scam, it would be appropriate to make a class action lawsuit by promoting and marketing a drone that does not meet the quality and benefits offered"

I think this may already be happening looking at some of the comments. But there are a few having a close look at this so hoping some definitive information to come out about just what is happen in the next week or so...

I wouldn't rest any hopes on DJI "clarifying" this issue anytime soon. This is what happened when ZDNet reached out to them:

2022-3-30
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snoopy2 Posted at 3-30 08:13
I wouldn't rest any hopes on DJI "clarifying" this issue anytime soon. This is what happened when ZDNet reached out to them:

Believe me, DJI is well aware of this issue from the top down
2022-3-30
Use props
Snoopy2
Banned

United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-30 09:22
Believe me, DJI is well aware of this issue from the top down

Certainly now.
https://dronedj.com/2022/03/30/n ... rmware-or-hardware/
2022-3-30
Use props
PeterB38
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6321191 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Installed the new firmware on my Mavic 3 Cine, and it actually made the matter worse. With the previous firmware, GPS-fix was nearly instantaneous. I never experienced any issues. Now after installing the latest firmware it takes the drone forever to get GPS-lock. And even when it does and i can take off, i'd say in about 1 out of 2 flights GPS-fix is lost immediately again after being airborne, for then to come back a couple of seconds later. This problem for me makes the Mavic 3 rather unreliable. Let's hope DJI comes up with a fix soon!
2022-3-30
Use props
alex_bogdi1988
lvl.4
Flight distance : 631312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 3-26 18:11

@suren, how did you get 0601? Only seem to find 0600.
2022-3-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

alex_bogdi1988 Posted at 3-30 19:44
@suren, how did you get 0601? Only seem to find 0600.

It was shared to me by another user on here
2022-3-30
Use props
FampY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 743510 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Big USB problems with FW-600 on my MacBook with M1A. QuickTransfer does not work. After long conversation (Chat & Mail) DJI-Support: "Will reported to developers".
B. USB-File-Transfer with USB-C cable does not work when set USB-mode to ON (Settings->Camera).
Switching off the USB mode and USB connection works.
When USB-mode is ON and you connect the Mavic 3 to a Mac (with and without M1) after 2 seconds the SSD folder
is vsible on Mac, 3 sec later the connection crashes. On M1 only connection crashes, on Intel the Finder crashes.
For both issues DJI support asked me to reinstall firmware with Assistant2, but this App does not run on M1-Macs...
2022-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules