Mavic 2 Pro SD Card Failure
1015 5 2022-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
beattpro
New

United States

Hello fellow Mavic owners - I had a nightmare situation happen last night and am hoping someone can help me out. I shot some drone footage for a super high end client in Dallas yesterday morning. When I got back to my hotel I took our the MicroSD card and plugged it into my SD card reader. I am using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB XC1 card with a SanDisk MicroSD to SD card adapter plugged into a normal card reader. The files popped up and I started transferring them to my laptop (MacBook Pro).

After 8 files had completed tranferring a message popped up that said "the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" and it gave me the option to Initialize/Ignore/Eject. I tried Ignore first nothing happened and the card no longer showed up. I then ejected and plugged it back into the drone and connected it to my laptop via the supplied USB-C cable. The memory card shows up as "NO NAME" but no longer showed the files I had shot. It contained 2 video files I had shot months ago, but none of the newer stuff. It also now contains a folder called LOST.DIR. I've read a ton of different threads but nothing that appears to be the same as my issue. I also stop recording before powering off and take delicate care of my cards. Any ideas or am I SOL??

2022-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there beattpro. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different supported microSD card on your DJI Mavic 2 Pro for us to be able to isolate the issue? For reference I will post the list of supported microSD card for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you.

2022-3-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

That sucks @beattpro.  The only thing I have taken to doing lately to avoid that is dumping the card off to my ipad before I leave the site, just to make sure I can get usable images from the card.  

I don't buy SD cards from Amazon.
I stay at 128GB and less.  And always use brand name.
And if doing project shooting, each shoot gets a new card, and then the card becomes my long term storage for that client.  

I think even gently handling these small cards can result in bringing out a failure evenutally.  Given how cheap the 128GB cards are, if it is for a client, add it to your production costs and charge appropriately to always have a new card, and test before leaving the site.
2022-3-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@beattpro - also one more thing.  When I am shooting a client mission I do stream RTMP to a RTMP server I have in the cloud.  It was previously in my home office, but moved to AWS because home ISP's are unreliable.  Anyways, the file that gets created on my cloud VM is a very high quality file I have as a "black box" backup for a rainy day.  Probably wouldn't be great when client wants pictures with EXIF data, but can help out in a videography pinch.

Hope this helps.  Right now you are probably mad as heck as I know I would be.  Sorry man.
2022-3-23
Use props
beattpro
New

United States

TonyPHX Posted at 3-23 19:43
@beattpro - also one more thing.  When I am shooting a client mission I do stream RTMP to a RTMP server I have in the cloud.  It was previously in my home office, but moved to AWS because home ISP's are unreliable.  Anyways, the file that gets created on my cloud VM is a very high quality file I have as a "black box" backup for a rainy day.  Probably wouldn't be great when client wants pictures with EXIF data, but can help out in a videography pinch.

Hope this helps.  Right now you are probably mad as heck as I know I would be.  Sorry man.

Thanks for your advice! Luckily I was able to recover the files using Disk Drill and then sending them to a professional on Fiverr for repairing. Disk Drill was able to discover all the missing files but they were still corrupted, hence the extra step! I think in the future I will always plug the drone directly into my computer for data downloads
2022-3-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

beattpro Posted at 3-24 07:25
Thanks for your advice! Luckily I was able to recover the files using Disk Drill and then sending them to a professional on Fiverr for repairing. Disk Drill was able to discover all the missing files but they were still corrupted, hence the extra step! I think in the future I will always plug the drone directly into my computer for data downloads

Nice!  Well, glad you could get the images back!!!

My heart would be sunk and I know I would have been really upset.  Good on you for keeping your cool and thinking about the process to get fixed.  Sounds like you found a photographers friend on Fiver!
2022-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules