GPS Issue Continues, Maybe Worse, Very Disappointed.
123Next >
3326 101 2022-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

My satellite acquisition didn’t improve at all. Matter of fact it seems  worse. Today is the longest. 5 minutes and 5% of my battery today. Hours  after updating smart controller and drone. Not happy. One of the main reasons I upgraded to M3 from Air2S was flight time now I waste the extra time sitting on the ground waiting for Sats.

2022-3-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, there. Sorry for any inconvenience.  Would you please tell us whether the surrounding environment has a signal tower or other devices that may cause interference? We recommend going to an environment with less interference for conducting a trial flight.

Besides, please export the drone log for our further confirmation if it's convenient. Here are the steps:
(1) Download DJI Assistant 2 from the official website. Download link: https://www.dji.com/bg/mavic-3/downloads
(2) Launch DJI Assistant 2. Within 20 seconds after the aircraft is powered on, connect it to DJI Assistant 2.
(3) After DJI Assistant 2 recognizes the aircraft, choose "Log Export", and then click "Save to local".
(4) The final exported data are ".dat" files.

2022-3-23
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 3-23 19:19
Hi, there. Sorry for any inconvenience.  Would you please tell us whether the surrounding environment has a signal tower or other devices that may cause interference? We recommend going to an environment with less interference for conducting a trial flight.

Besides, please export the drone log for our further confirmation if it's convenient. Here are the steps:

Nothing that I'm aware of that is causing interference. I've flown every other drone at this location since the Phantom 2 with no issue. In contrast my Air2S acquires home point in about 30 seconds in the exact same spot. I will get you the log file.
2022-3-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen several others reporting mixed results on the firmware update.  Appears DJI needs to look deeper into this issue.  Maybe sending your logs to them will help resolve this issue once and for all.  
2022-3-24
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-24 02:35
I've seen several others reporting mixed results on the firmware update.  Appears DJI needs to look deeper into this issue.  Maybe sending your logs to them will help resolve this issue once and for all.

Mine did work fine up until the December 2021 update
2022-3-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 3-24 03:04
Mine did work fine up until the December 2021 update

Yours and many others until that FW hit that month and changed everything with GPS.
2022-3-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I don't have an M3 so don't know about this. I see many people posting, saying that everything was ok pre December update. Can't  the FW  be rolled back to prior to that date or do you lose all that the users gained in Jan 2022.
2022-3-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

yogi053 Posted at 3-24 10:52
I don't have an M3 so don't know about this. I see many people posting, saying that everything was ok pre December update. Can't  the FW  be rolled back to prior to that date or do you lose all that the users gained in Jan 2022.

Unfortunately, the pre-December update is no longer available.  No roll back...
2022-3-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 3-24 11:02

i have a nib m3 that i have not yet powered up so it *might* have the "pre-december" software, do we know the version #?
2022-3-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

The Saint Posted at 3-24 11:05
i have a nib m3 that i have not yet powered up so it *might* have the "pre-december" software, do we know the version #?

Nov_2021

Nov_2021
2022-3-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi BrianKushner,

In the interest of "science", would you be willing to take a step?

Occasionally there are posts that people should try to re-apply a firmware update using DJI Assistant, rather than through the app (or even if they believe that they have successfully performed the update through the app).  I have never understood this, but sure enough it happened once to me with a prior drone model I owned, where I tried the firmware update using DJI Assistant (AFTER having successfully done the update through the app) and my issues were resolved.  Could you try this?  It's a Hail Marry.

2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 3-24 11:05

Only thing I will say is. Oldest FW was no good, in fact and I can’t remember the only good thing about it probably was GPS was quicker, but I’m blank on that one. Aircraft flying like a dog no features . So your new bird will fly a whole lot better. In fact it now flies really good, you will have all the features and if you’re unlucky it might mean you will have to wait slightly longer.

There is no point in not updating. Unless you’re holding on to Care refresh. But my guess is GPS could be sorted out in a week a month or never..

2022-3-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brian, that sucks man.  Sorry to hear the firmware update did not work for you.  I can confirm that with M3 and M3 Cine that my GPS acquisition times are all <30 seconds now.  It's so fast, I don't have time to really measure it.  Fire up, and pretty much ready to go.   I like the advice above to reapply firmware from assistant.  Pending that, you may have a need for an actual hardware replacement.
2022-3-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 14:05
Only thing I will say is. Oldest FW was no good, in fact and I can’t remember the only good thing about it probably was GPS was quicker, but I’m blank on that one. Aircraft flying like a dog no features . So your new bird will fly a whole lot better. In fact it now flies really good, you will have all the features and if you’re unlucky it might mean you will have to wait slightly longer.

There is no point in not updating. Unless you’re holding on to Care refresh. But my guess is GPS could be sorted out in a week a month or never..

But my guess is GPS could be sorted out in a week a month or never.
It's hard to disagree with that assessment.
You seem to have all the bases covered with that one.
2022-3-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 14:05
Only thing I will say is. Oldest FW was no good, in fact and I can’t remember the only good thing about it probably was GPS was quicker, but I’m blank on that one. Aircraft flying like a dog no features . So your new bird will fly a whole lot better. In fact it now flies really good, you will have all the features and if you’re unlucky it might mean you will have to wait slightly longer.

There is no point in not updating. Unless you’re holding on to Care refresh. But my guess is GPS could be sorted out in a week a month or never..

i definitely plan to update to the latest sw ver regardless.  my thinking is if i have older sw, i first get a read on how quickly it used to perform and then i can compare it after the upgrade.  i didn't mean to offer it up as an option because you are right, i am holding onto the m3 for another couple weeks for 2 reasons:  still waiting to see if dji issues a fast follower sw update to this one from yesterday so i won't have to bother and second, i have 30 days to make a decision.  but yes, after i test gps on old sw, i will upgrade and hopefully i can live with the new gps.

also the sw in my drone straight out of the box could give me an idea how old my stock; got the drone from b&h.

btw, not sure what the care refresh comment means. i have not activated the drone and if i have a care refresh code, they'll both keep until im ready, right?
2022-3-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

my personal opinion is dji is trying to mitigate this issue using sw because they don't have any other choice.  so it's likely it will take a lot of work to get it right and that means a tweak here and a tweak there on every new sw update forthcoming.  not an emergency so no need to roll out new sw every friday but i'm sure they are doing their best to get it right.  obviously there is no magic bullet, i.e. you can't put the code back the "way it used to be before they broke it" else they would have.  so what else could be the problem? ;) ;) ;)
2022-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 3-24 16:00
i definitely plan to update to the latest sw ver regardless.  my thinking is if i have older sw, i first get a read on how quickly it used to perform and then i can compare it after the upgrade.  i didn't mean to offer it up as an option because you are right, i am holding onto the m3 for another couple weeks for 2 reasons:  still waiting to see if dji issues a fast follower sw update to this one from yesterday so i won't have to bother and second, i have 30 days to make a decision.  but yes, after i test gps on old sw, i will upgrade and hopefully i can live with the new gps.

also the sw in my drone straight out of the box could give me an idea how old my stock; got the drone from b&h.

Yeah what I meant was you could hold off and your care refresh would still be valid until you activate…
2022-3-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 16:05
Yeah what I meant was you could hold off and your care refresh would still be valid until you activate…

yep that is what i am doing; thx
2022-3-24
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 3-24 13:58
Hi BrianKushner,

In the interest of "science", would you be willing to take a step?

Yes reinstalled the firmware but couldn't test. Heavy rain today.
2022-3-24
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-24 16:26
Correct. If they can’t fix the “software” to what it was, I wonder what kind of a problem this could be- if it isn’t “software”….

There will not be any “quick” firmware update at all. Nothing soon, I’m afraid, as they just released this.

It's interesting that DJI is unwilling to revert whatever part of the December FW update that broke GPS.
2022-3-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

BrianKushner Posted at 3-23 20:39
Nothing that I'm aware of that is causing interference. I've flown every other drone at this location since the Phantom 2 with no issue. In contrast my Air2S acquires home point in about 30 seconds in the exact same spot. I will get you the log file.

Thanks for your update. We are looking forward to your reply.
2022-3-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for replying frankymusik.
2022-3-25
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 3-23 19:19

Thor I have the file for you how do I get it to you? It's over a gig?
2022-3-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

BrianKushner Posted at 3-25 21:36
Thor I have the file for you how do I get it to you? It's over a gig?

Upload it to google or dropbox and send them the link
2022-3-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Technically we can. I rolled back today to 0300 using Drone hacks to test Airsense and it works like a charm on that FW. I then installed the latest FW again and want to test Airsense with the app 1.5.8 because it was with that app version and AC FW 0300, that AirSense worked perfectly when I tested today. Also GPS lock took like 30 seconds or less and locked on only 8 sats.

2022-3-25
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Suren Posted at 3-25 22:11
Technically we can. I rolled back today to 0300 using Drone hacks to test Airsense and it works like a charm on that FW. I then installed the latest FW again and want to test Airsense with the app 1.5.8 because it was with that app version and AC FW 0300, that AirSense worked perfectly when I tested today. Also GPS lock took like 30 seconds or less and locked on only 8 sats.

[view_image]

Hi Suren,
thanks for the clarification.
Of course I meant "normal tools", i.e. the DJI Assistant 2.
A downgrade, so to speak, "approved" by DJI.
But, one or the other your tip will certainly be very welcome!
2022-3-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

frankymusik Posted at 3-26 00:07
Hi Suren,
thanks for the clarification.
Of course I meant "normal tools", i.e. the DJI Assistant 2.

You're welcome Franky
2022-3-26
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 3-24 20:54
Thanks for your update. We are looking forward to your reply.

Messaged you  a link to the file.
2022-3-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

BrianKushner Posted at 3-26 10:47
Messaged you  a link to the file.

Hi, BrianKushner. Thanks for your reply. We have forwarded it to our engineer for further analysis. If there is any feedback, we will keep you updated.
2022-3-26
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 3-26 18:45
Hi, BrianKushner. Thanks for your reply. We have forwarded it to our engineer for further analysis. If there is any feedback, we will keep you updated.

Exactly what mine is doing...Going backwards...Hanging at 11 forever....

2022-3-26
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-26 20:48
Same here. And I also provided logs (even though I know full well DJI has plenty of logs on this issue and simply doesn’t want to admit what the “real” cause is).

“Deja vu all over again” -DJI asking for “logs” which they already have and then in 100 days promise a “fix” that won’t fix it.

Yeah I'd have to think they know what's causing this. If this is a stall til they announce the 3S wow, that is not going to go over well. I'm already regretting my purchase and not returning.
2022-3-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

BrianKushner Posted at 3-26 20:05
Exactly what mine is doing...Going backwards...Hanging at 11 forever....

https://youtu.be/zrG7VykaDXM

Hi, BrianKushner. Our related engineer is working on analyzing the situation. If there is any feedback, we will keep you updated. Thanks for your patience.
2022-3-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 3-27 01:11
Hi, BrianKushner. Our related engineer is working on analyzing the situation. If there is any feedback, we will keep you updated. Thanks for your patience.

Our related engineer is working on analyzing the situation.
But this has been an issue for three months now and still isn't resolved !!!
2022-3-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-27 03:36
Our related engineer is working on analyzing the situation.
But this has been an issue for three months now and still isn't resolved !!!

And as far as anyone knows, it was not a problem until the December update. Why not go back to that firmware and change one "feature" at a time? When the culprit shows up , that will indicate the failure. It is quite obvious that some change/added feature caused the problem. It really should not be that hard to fix.
2022-3-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-27 06:12
Unless they realize they can’t have FocusTrack, MasterShots, Hyperlapse, or many other promised features if they “fixed” it.
Wouldn’t that be a conundrum?

Once they find the problem, they should recode the offending section.
2022-3-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-27 06:34
Once they find the problem, they should recode the offending section.

How many different threads to we need for the same problem?
2022-3-27
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-27 06:53
I don't think it's that simple though..

It would be a start.
2022-3-27
Use props
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 631014 ft
United States

Just another report here regarding experience with the 0600 firmware.  Because the test take-off location near my home is surrounded by buildings and trees, I immediately take the M3C up to about 90 feet to give it an unrestricted look at the sky. At that height it is able to consistently acquire 13 or more satellites and achieve home point lock in the range of 70 to 80 seconds (multiple tests at different times of day over multiple days).  All cold starts. I do not move from the elevated point over take-off location until the home point has been announced. The many threads regarding the GPS issue naturally focus on what amount of sat lock delay is NOT acceptable.  What are your thoughts on the maximum delay that IS acceptable? Allthough I would like sat lock to occur in less than a minute, I find  70 to 80 seconds to not be overly objectionalble. I've taken to turning on the M3C first, and use the delay time to get the RC Pro and Fly app running and settings checked.
2022-3-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NDI-Orlando Posted at 3-27 18:37
Just another report here regarding experience with the 0600 firmware.  Because the test take-off location near my home is surrounded by buildings and trees, I immediately take the M3C up to about 90 feet to give it an unrestricted look at the sky. At that height it is able to consistently acquire 13 or more satellites and achieve home point lock in the range of 70 to 80 seconds (multiple tests at different times of day over multiple days).  All cold starts. I do not move from the elevated point over take-off location until the home point has been announced. The many threads regarding the GPS issue naturally focus on what amount of sat lock delay is NOT acceptable.  What are your thoughts on the maximum delay that IS acceptable? Allthough I would like sat lock to occur in less than a minute, I find  70 to 80 seconds to not be overly objectionalble. I've taken to turning on the M3C first, and use the delay time to get the RC Pro and Fly app running and settings checked.

Agreed. Waiting a minute or less would be acceptable and okay at 70-80 seconds
2022-3-27
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AerialZup2 Posted at 3-27 19:33
How long are you currently waiting? Long enough to get to this point like some of us?

3.5 to 4 minutes
2022-3-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules