Possible stress crack? *update: confirmed
3161 22 2022-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2972293 ft
Romania

Just noticed what appears to look like a stress crack on the left side, just above the screw though I'm not sure, it really is thin and barely noticeable. I never had a crash and I'm always extra careful not to aply force on the arms. Has anyone else noticed something similar? Guess I'll be monitoring it closely from now on to see if it becomes more prominent.

IMG_20220325_174805_edit_110810322763298.jpg
IMG_20220325_175102_edit_110786542220073.jpg
2022-3-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's a bit hard to tell for sure, from the pictures - it looks like a surface scratch.  Does applying light pressure to the area cause any separation or deformation?
2022-3-25
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

Blériot53 Posted at 3-25 08:21
It's a bit hard to tell for sure, from the pictures - it looks like a surface scratch.  Does applying light pressure to the area cause any separation or deformation?

No, it doesn't separate but it's also not a surface scratch, more like as if a deeper layer of the plastic would be cracked and only visible through the surface.
2022-3-25
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hrodnand Posted at 3-25 08:33
No, it doesn't separate but it's also not a surface scratch, more like as if a deeper layer of the plastic would be cracked and only visible through the surface.

Unless it spreads to an edge, maybe you have nothing to worry about.  It certainly merits keeping a close eye on though.
2022-3-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Hrodnand. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. If you feel that if issue is affecting your DJI Air 2S and is not working or performing properly. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance and just a reminder that it is not recommended to fly your DJI drone if these are stress crack on it. This cracks might affect the performance of the said drone while on flight and may lead to an unwanted incident. Thank you.
2022-3-25
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If the drone is U/W I would suggest open a case with Dji support, you don't want when the warranty expires then it cracks and you are left with that drone.
2022-3-25
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

I'm coming with an update here. I've kept monitoring the crack after the past couple flights and unfortunately yesterday I noticed that the material eventually cracked entirely, now displaying a complete fissure. As I mentioned earlier I never had a crash, nor stressed the aircraft in the slightest bit, avoided sub 0 C temperatures and Sport mode not to stress the material in any way, and always handled it with extra care.
It saddens me because I really hoped this wouldn't happen, I noticed that frequent stress cracks appeared on the Mavic Air 2 with other users, while the frame of the Air 2S seemed to be sturdier. Other than this, I was completely satisfied with the aircraft and never had any other problem. I've issued a replacement procedure at DJI and now waiting for a reply.

2022-5-1
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

I forgot to mention, if anyone noticed something similar, please share your experience. I'm curious to know how frequently these cracks occur?
2022-5-2
Use props
dreamtuner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

Hrodnand Posted at 5-1 21:44
I'm coming with an update here. I've kept monitoring the crack in the past couple flights and unfortunately yesterday I noticed that the material eventually cracked entirely, now displaying a complete fissure. As I mentioned earlier I never had a crash, nor stressed the aircraft in the slightest bit, avoided sub 0 C temperatures and Sport mode not to stress the material in any way, and always handled it with extra care.
It saddens me because I really hoped this wouldn't happen, I noticed that frequent stress cracks appeared on the Mavic Air 2 with other users, while the frame of the Air 2S seemed to be sturdier. Other than this, I was completely satisfied with the aircraft and never had any other problem. I've issued a replacement procedure at DJI and now waiting for a reply.

This looks like a production defect. You should open a ticket with dji and have it replaced if under warranty. I take care of my Air 2S like my baby and haven't noticed anything of this sort yet but if this is the case, it is horrible to say at least. The plastics should have been more sturdy than regular no-name brand drones.
2022-5-2
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

dreamtuner Posted at 5-2 00:49
This looks like a production defect. You should open a ticket with dji and have it replaced if under warranty. I take care of my Air 2S like my baby and haven't noticed anything of this sort yet but if this is the case, it is horrible to say at least. The plastics should have been more sturdy than regular no-name brand drones.

Indeed, that's what I thought as well. I read somewhere that if the screws are placed in too tight, there can be small cracks with time in the material as the vibrations spread through it. Every small crack can worsen as it has to continiously withstand the vibrations of the aircraft.
2022-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think it has grown in length too, in both directions. If so I'd be asking for a repair or replacement if it is still under warranty.
2022-5-2
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 01:11
I think it has grown in length too, in both directions. If so I'd be asking for a repair or replacement if it is still under warranty.

Yes, I have Care Refresh available and applied for a replacement.
2022-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hrodnand Posted at 5-2 01:18
Yes, I have Care Refresh available and applied for a replacement.

IT IS NOT a care refresh issue. Providing the drone is within the warranty period it is a warranty issue, you should NOT be paying for it!!!!!!
2022-5-2
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 01:46
IT IS NOT a care refresh issue. Providing the drone is within the warranty period it is a warranty issue, you should NOT be paying for it!!!!!!

You're right. I'm an idiot, just spoke with DJI, cancelled my case and requested for a refund which they said is OK for them. I'll contact the seller directly and request a replacement since I still have warranty. Thanks a lot for giving me a heads-up!
2022-5-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Uuum can DJI themselves not process it as a warranty issue rather than involving the seller? I am just thinking it might be simpler and quicker to go straight to DJI.
2022-5-2
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-2 02:36
Uuum can DJI themselves not process it as a warranty issue rather than involving the seller? I am just thinking it might be simpler and quicker to go straight to DJI.

Yes, that's just what I did. I realized it might be a better idea. Thanks a lot for helping!
2022-5-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DIdn't initially look like a stress crack.  It looked like a single hair bristle off a cleaning brush, which got painted over at factory.   Good eye for catching crack early on.
2022-5-2
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-2 05:42
DIdn't initially look like a stress crack.  It looked like a single hair bristle off a cleaning brush, which got painted over at factory.   Good eye for catching crack early on.
I wasn't sure myself that it's a crack until the plastic got separated and the fissure appeared. Maybe it wouldn't have any effect or the crack wouldn't spread/worsen but better be safe with an intact frame since it's still an aircraft. My bet is on that screw below which was tightened too much, thus provoking the plastic to crack during flight.
2022-5-2
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

Another update here. I sent the drone back for warranty repair to DJI Support and they told me they would change the middle frame module free of charge as part of warranty repair. Hope the new frame will last.
Thanks, DJI!
2022-5-19
Use props
Tomasz Laptas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2275102 ft
United Kingdom

Hey, I found similar crack, next to memory card slot. Never crashed the drone, no hard landings. I had it from brand new.

IMG_0849.jpg
2023-4-6
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

Tomasz Laptas Posted at 4-6 08:16
Hey, I found similar crack, next to memory card slot. Never crashed the drone, no hard landings. I had it from brand new.

If it has warranty, contact DJI Support!

https://support.dji.com
2023-4-6
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm curious, is your aircraft roughly the same age as this thread? The only reason I ask is that I've rarely seen this crack show up. Usually they appear around/near the arms.
2023-4-6
Use props
Hrodnand
Second Officer
Romania

I had mine replaced with warranty, the new one was fine and no crack appeared afterwards. Apparently some of them simply crack due to vibration stress during flight. I remember seeing similar "stress cracks" on some Mavic Air 2 models but also on some of the Mavic 3. It's important to make a thorough inspection, regardless of the aircraft model, after each flight so that you notice these cracks in case they appear.
2023-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules