2798 38 2022-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

This has to be fake, doesn't it?

For a start the battery starts with 41 minutes remaining... and still has about 30 minutes left when it is apparently 67% remaining... there are no Mini 2 batteries with that capacity, are there?

2022-3-28
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

Yeah, I'm leaning toward fake as well. Something doesn't look right about the app.
2022-3-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm sceptical too.
2022-3-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 3-28 07:07
Yeah, I'm leaning toward fake as well. Something doesn't look right about the app.

Yep, the font is completely wrong. I just checked. Nice video, but totally bogus!
2022-3-28
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It’s technically possible to get just over 45 mins flight time, but not practical in my opinion totally bogus video..
2022-3-28
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34941 ft
Sweden

Modded battery in that one.
2022-3-28
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Not in it on it alongside the original
2022-3-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not arguing either way but he does say " I'm using a 3500mAh modded battery." in several replies. Could the font be a perculiarity of the 10 app version?
The above said I have seen a CE Mavic Mini reach over 2400m over open sea. The advertised range limit is 2000m.  I can't remember for certain in the that was the control range limit or the limit of the pilot's bottle but I think the latter.
2022-3-28
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 3-28 07:55
It’s technically possible to get just over 45 mins flight time, but not practical in my opinion totally bogus video.. Flight Test 45 Min

Wow.. just disappointed he didn't cable tie the extra batteries to the unfolded arms like the thumbnail implied
2022-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

He is going to be in a world of pain if he keeps on taking off from the hood of a car!!!
2022-3-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

This is possible as people add extra batteries to get that more flight time. I have seen modded batteries since the Mavic 1 days.
2022-3-28
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Geebax Posted at 3-28 14:19
He is going to be in a world of pain if he keeps on taking off from the hood of a car!!!

Did he? I just saw him taking off from the roof.
And if he did - what's that wrong about it?

Regarding the video: I didn't find it that spectacular. If he uses a larger battery, there's nothing sensational about the range - it's perfect conditions, direct line of sight, no signal reflections. It's a range I would expect.

The font: Many smartphones allow changing the font, just try if such a change also affects the Fly app.

There's one thing I do not believe: Reaching the sandbank with just 0 charge. I guess he did several tries and edited the video accordingly, timelapse/switching to settings helping to disguise the cut.

2022-3-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Landey Posted at 3-28 21:36
Did he? I just saw him taking off from the roof.
And if he did - what's that wrong about it?

Taking off from metal surfaces can have an affect on your compass.
2022-3-28
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Suren Posted at 3-28 21:44
Taking off from metal surfaces can have an affect on your compass.

Sure, but the metal needs to be strongly magnetized to have a lasting effect.
2022-3-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Landey Posted at 3-28 21:54

Believe me when i say, its not a good idea to take off from the roof of a car and even the sunroof, even if it covers half of the roof, ask me how i know, go on, ask?...

Now having said that the Mini 2 at least, appears to be much more forgiving than the older P4P, but still i would never chance it. I have seen at least 1 other take off from the roof with their Mini 2, he does videos and posts on here, i forget his name but the way i look at it is this, just because nothing has happened yet, does not mean it's ok, "yet" being the operative word here...

Side note, its not just the metal of the car, its the metal in it, wires, strengthening etc.
2022-3-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As for the video, reading the comments, they are using this modded battery

2022-3-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Bashy Posted at 3-28 22:28
Believe me when i say, its not a good idea to take off from the roof of a car and even the sunroof, even if it covers half of the roof, ask me how i know, go on, ask?...

Now having said that the Mini 2 at least, appears to be much more forgiving than the older P4P, but still i would never chance it. I have seen at least 1 other take off from the roof with their Mini 2, he does videos and posts on here, i forget his name but the way i look at it is this, just because nothing has happened yet, does not mean it's ok, "yet" being the operative word here...

Okay I will bite, How do you?
2022-3-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Landey Posted at 3-28 21:54

Not entirely true. Metal can cause major issues with compass heading and though it may not show it when the drone is on the ground it can cause interference while in the air if it picks up any issues before take off.   Although in saying that most newer drones seems to fair much better than the previous models.
2022-3-28
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

blue_canyon21 Posted at 3-28 07:07

Nothing is wrong about the app. Custom font and text size in Android Settings, so everything looks bigger and different.
If you read the comments, he used a custom battery and FCC hacks.
2022-3-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

100% fake for sure.
2022-3-28
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 3-28 23:46
100% fake for sure.

Why you think so? What makes you believe it's fake?
I don't think that the app does increase the range, but I don't think that the flight is fake.
What's the point of faking a video like this?
2022-3-28
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 3-28 23:54
I don't think that the app does increase the range, but I don't think that the flight is fake.
For clicks and giggles?

(And yes, I'm aware that posting it here just gets him more  of those clicks/views...)
2022-3-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 3-28 22:57
Nothing is wrong about the app. Custom font and text size in Android Settings, so everything looks bigger and different.

can you show a screen capture of WHERE you make such adjustments please? It could be VERY useful to some people, me included.
2022-3-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To those saying taking off from metal surfaces is risky, surely "metal" should be replaced with "magnetic metal" e.g. steel, shouldn't it?
2022-3-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 3-28 22:44
Okay I will bite, How do you?

Because Ive tried it and failed miserably
2022-3-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-29 01:41
To those saying taking off from metal surfaces is risky, surely "metal" should be replaced with "magnetic metal" e.g. steel, shouldn't it?

Yes, but, generalising it reduces risk, it saves confusion, and reduces doubt. The only way to know for sure is to take a magnet with you but then that also increases the issue
2022-3-29
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Font settings: Have a look at Settings > Display; many Android smartphones offer to change font or at least font size. Never noticed the fancy fonts many women use with their smartphones? ;) "Comic sans" being one of the all-time favorites - for reasons beyond my imagination.

Compass and metal: Metal has an influence on magnetic waves, that's nothing to write home about. But as soon as the drone takes off, that influence is gone, compass working normally. Exception: Strongly magnetized metal. But in either case, this shouldn't affect our Mini 2 in a dangerous way. It's a question of belief. Angled or curved surfaces pose a greater problem. I guess that's what caused the issues you encountered.

Bashy: Just launch the compass app on your smartphone and check the surface. Soothes the mind. ;)
2022-3-29
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-29 01:36
can you show a screen capture of WHERE you make such adjustments please? It could be VERY useful to some people, me included.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... ua/view?usp=sharing
2022-3-29
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-29 01:41

The thing is that, while most cars have non-magnetic aluminum bodies, there is certainly a lot magnetic metal in a car ranging from the chassis to the engine to some body panels.

For example, the hood and doors of my GMC Canyon are non-magnetic but the fenders and bed sides are magnetic. The chassis and frame are also magnetic.
2022-3-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 3-29 04:03
https://drive.google.com/file/d/115K2l7I1jniiVmFnA3VVZPG58VNGo8ua/view?usp=sharing

Thanks but unfortunately for me, size wise,  that made no difference to the text visible in the app. It did however change the size of the font in the phone's own menus. I will try the style change later.
2022-3-29
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-29 07:26
Thanks but unfortunately for me, size wise,  that made no difference to the text visible in the app. It did however change the size of the font in the phone's own menus. I will try the style change later.

Same for me, it doesn't change the size of the app widgets. But maybe there is another app to scale up the interface of all apps, I don't know... Or maybe the guy in the video used a tablet, which has all the widgets displayed bigger.
2022-3-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Yaros1 Posted at 3-28 22:57

Yep, I didn't think of that. I changed mine and tested Fly and it also changed there. I still think it's bogus.
2022-3-29
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-29 07:50
Yep, I didn't think of that. I changed mine and tested Fly and it also changed there. I still think it's bogus.

Yeah, I did the same...

After reading the comments, I can see the video might be genuine but the uploader should have made it more clear that it is actually the battery mod and FCC hack that gives him the range and not the app/firmware version.
2022-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there N.O.T. Good day and thank you for sharing this video that you have came upon. Just a friendly reminder to always use an official DJI Intelligent Flight Battery when flying your DJI Mini 2 for compatibility and reliability purposes. Thank you and fly safe always.
2022-3-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 3-28 23:54

Probably to get views and subs.
2022-3-29
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Hmm, guys ...

I just don't know why you believe the video is a fake?
The ending is surely faked (and maybe that's also the reason for the slightly different screen appearance) - but the range and performance is nothing we couldn't expect.

Let's do some simple maths!
Speed: 10 meters per second (we just take 10 meters because it makes calculating easy).
That's 100 meters in 10 seconds, 600 meters in a minute.
Let's say we've got a flight time of 30 minutes. 600 × 30 = 18000 meters, 18 km.
That's about the distance shown in the video. So in theory, it's even possible with a stock battery.
And the range of a bit more than 9000 meters is also nothing to write home about - flying over the sea away from all possible sources of interference  in direct sight means optimum range.

So where is the miracle needing a fake video?

2022-3-30
Use props
dji_user_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18894 ft
Brazil

This probably is not fake. Here is another video with modded battery:

2022-3-31
Use props
DaLyR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1105322 ft
Romania

Landey Posted at 3-30 05:12
Hmm, guys ...

I just don't know why you believe the video is a fake?

Stop dreaming mate, you can't have 30 minutes of flight time... not even in hover state 100% of the time.

It's just fake, look at that overlay, at the font size/style/font family etc... and you can recognize that changed font.

They are faking those videos to sell moded batteries... or just some DJI people (workers/paid) to promote this sh#t firmware so more people will make the biggest mistake, to update...

Behind this firmware I'm sure there are a lot of "mysterious" lines of code...

2022-3-31
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

DaLyR Posted at 3-31 22:58
Stop dreaming mate, you can't have 30 minutes of flight time... not even in hover state 100% of the time.

It's just fake, look at that overlay, at the font size/style/font family etc... and you can recognize that changed font.

Read a bit more attentively, friend.

Of course it's almost impossible to get the flight times the manufacturer advertized - that's why I use terms like "let's say" and "in theory".

I also mentioned my guess about why the overlay looks a bit strange - either by changing the font or for faking the drone's return to the sandbank with exactly 0 % battery left. I suspect it's the latter.
Thus I don't doubt range and flight time, that's not fake. But I guess the spectacular ending is faked.
Read my posts again.
2022-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules