Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Replacing the DJI FPV smart battery with a regular 6S LiPo
1435 10 4-2 08:11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

I recently got my DJI FPV drone and really enjoy flying it. However, it bothers me that you have to swap the battery after just a few minutes and that they are very expensive. I'm sure you know that...

Unfortunately, I only found a few approaches from the community, but no ready-made solutions to work around this problem.
Since I like to tinker and solve problems, I experimented a bit myself and summarized it here:
https://hackaday.io/project/184677-dji-fpv-6s-battery-compatibility-mod

I appreciate all helpful comments and ideas!

4-2 08:11
Use props
Dakilla
lvl.3
France

Nice work ! very informative
4-2 13:33
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there AirCruiser. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend to use a 3rd party battery or modified batteries to fly your DJI FPV for compatibility and reliability purposes. These 3rd party or modified batteries might work but however, since it's not optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the 3rd party batteries if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
4-2 19:30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 35973091 ft
United Kingdom

Very interesting hackaday article,  hopefully they will address other DJI batteries too in the future.   
4-3 00:01
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very informative article.  
4-3 03:14
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

Short update: https://hackaday.io/project/184677-dji-fpv-6s-battery-compatibility-mod/log/204650-demystifying-the-communication-protocol-1

tl;dr:
- RS-485 (SN65HVD75) is used to communicate between the drone and the smart battery
- duml messages are used
- trying to decode all duml massages
4-14 06:16
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

I was successful!

Full details coming soon... ;)

https://hackaday.io/project/1846 ... og/205571-nailed-it
4-29 04:19
Use props
Drone Obsession
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10348104 ft
  • >>>
United States

nice to know  Thank you
4-29 11:02
Use props
Duane Degn
First Officer
Flight distance : 598415 ft
United States

AirCruiser Posted at 4-29 04:19
I was successful!

Full details coming soon... ;)

"I was successful!"
WOW! This is great. Thanks for sharing your work with us.
4-29 14:17
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

Unfortunately I don't have much time for the project at the moment, but it's progressing in small steps...

Quick update: https://hackaday.io/project/1846 ... little-frankenstein
5-4 14:40
Use props
Nidge
Captain

United Kingdom

I must admit I'm a little confused.

I currently access the battery data using i2C. I do this with my Spark, Mini2, and DJI FPV. The DJI FPV batteries use the newer BQ9006 chip on the BMS board. The i2C connections can bee seen in the picture below, and they do run up to the battery connector.

Using a CP2112 debug board and an affectionately named "DJI Battery Killer" App you can read the battery data, and make changes such as resetting the Power Failure Flag (PF) when the battery discharges to the point that it will no longer charge.

I've yet to find a suitable 6S pack of the same dimensions as that used by DJI. In fact DJI use low C Rated cells in their packs to make the batteries as small and as light as possible, where as those of us who fly more traditional FPV quads will go for as high a C rating as possible. As an example the cells in  my 1100mAh 6s 100C packs are larger than  the  2000mAh cells used by DJI, which I think I read somewhere are only rated at between 4C and/or 8C. This is why the DJI FPV Drone is sometimes referred to as the inkjet printer of drones, as like manufacturers cartridges the batteries are overpriced, low quality, and short in lifespan.

081148mdcyu1mcms91wbs1.png
5-7 02:15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules