Replacing the DJI FPV smart battery with a regular 6S LiPo
17408 27 2022-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

I recently got my DJI FPV drone and really enjoy flying it. However, it bothers me that you have to swap the battery after just a few minutes and that they are very expensive. I'm sure you know that...

Unfortunately, I only found a few approaches from the community, but no ready-made solutions to work around this problem.
Since I like to tinker and solve problems, I experimented a bit myself and summarized it here:
https://hackaday.io/project/184677-dji-fpv-6s-battery-compatibility-mod

I appreciate all helpful comments and ideas!

2022-4-2
Use props
Dakilla
lvl.3
France

Nice work ! very informative
2022-4-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AirCruiser. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend to use a 3rd party battery or modified batteries to fly your DJI FPV for compatibility and reliability purposes. These 3rd party or modified batteries might work but however, since it's not optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the 3rd party batteries if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2022-4-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very interesting hackaday article,  hopefully they will address other DJI batteries too in the future.   
2022-4-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very informative article.  
2022-4-3
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

Short update: https://hackaday.io/project/184677-dji-fpv-6s-battery-compatibility-mod/log/204650-demystifying-the-communication-protocol-1

tl;dr:
- RS-485 (SN65HVD75) is used to communicate between the drone and the smart battery
- duml messages are used
- trying to decode all duml massages
2022-4-14
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

I was successful!

Full details coming soon... ;)

https://hackaday.io/project/1846 ... og/205571-nailed-it
2022-4-29
Use props
Drone Obsession
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21086463 ft
  • >>>
United States

nice to know  Thank you
2022-4-29
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

AirCruiser Posted at 4-29 04:19
I was successful!

Full details coming soon... ;)

"I was successful!"
WOW! This is great. Thanks for sharing your work with us.
2022-4-29
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

Unfortunately I don't have much time for the project at the moment, but it's progressing in small steps...

Quick update: https://hackaday.io/project/1846 ... little-frankenstein
2022-5-4
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I must admit I'm a little confused.

I currently access the battery data using i2C. I do this with my Spark, Mini2, and DJI FPV. The DJI FPV batteries use the newer BQ9006 chip on the BMS board. The i2C connections can bee seen in the picture below, and they do run up to the battery connector.

Using a CP2112 debug board and an affectionately named "DJI Battery Killer" App you can read the battery data, and make changes such as resetting the Power Failure Flag (PF) when the battery discharges to the point that it will no longer charge.

I've yet to find a suitable 6S pack of the same dimensions as that used by DJI. In fact DJI use low C Rated cells in their packs to make the batteries as small and as light as possible, where as those of us who fly more traditional FPV quads will go for as high a C rating as possible. As an example the cells in  my 1100mAh 6s 100C packs are larger than  the  2000mAh cells used by DJI, which I think I read somewhere are only rated at between 4C and/or 8C. This is why the DJI FPV Drone is sometimes referred to as the inkjet printer of drones, as like manufacturers cartridges the batteries are overpriced, low quality, and short in lifespan.

081148mdcyu1mcms91wbs1.png
2022-5-7
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

It's been a while and a lot has happened since my last post.
Here is the current version of my Battery Breakout Mod:

Unfortunately I'm a bit behind with the Hackaday project updates...
2022-10-19
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

Nidge Posted at 5-7 02:15

I currently access the battery data using i2C. I do this with my Spark, Mini2, and DJI FPV. The DJI FPV batteries use the newer BQ9006 chip on the BMS board. The i2C connections can bee seen in the picture below, and they do run up to the battery connector.

Sorry for replying so late...
Why are you confused?

I was trying to find a way to change the battery cells while I'm in the field with the drone and also use larger cells. As I understand it, this is not possible with the CP2112 debug board? Or am I wrong?

Additionally, by manipulating the drone battery communication, it is possible to display the voltage with the goggles instead of the battery percentage and log some of the battery information.
2022-10-19
Use props
fansae27a883
lvl.2
Israel

Excellent work!
2022-12-3
Use props
djiuser_3qYoJchld30N
New

United States

This is exactly the kind of person I would like all of us to be.. We may not all be electronics or programmers, but everybody has some skill that another person in this community could really use. You may not even know it yet, you just gotta think outside the normal way that most of the mindless sheep do.. Think about what features u would like to see on your drone and reach out and get others who are experts in whatever you are thinking about doing and ask questions and / or Google it!.. . Expand your mind, and take the Red pill, and the other ones too... But if your needing the opposite sex... Just order one.. Its cheaper in the long run, plus u pay them to leave.. It's great.. Kidding..
2022-12-7
Use props
AirCruiser
lvl.2

Germany

Nidge Posted at 2022-5-7 02:15

I currently access the battery data using i2C. I do this with my Spark, Mini2, and DJI FPV. The DJI FPV batteries use the newer BQ9006 chip on the BMS board. The i2C connections can bee seen in the picture below, and they do run up to the battery connector.

I wanted to play a bit with the "DJI Battery Killer" tool. But it seems a little hard to find valid download sources. Can you give me a link (here or PM)?
I would be very happy about that
2023-1-15
Use props
djiuser_LhjcLbYk8qXX
New

United States

How much longer flight time to believe that you are getting?  I appreciate
2023-3-24
Use props
aytacengin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 658937 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

I currently access the battery data using i2C. I do this with my Spark, Mini2, and DJI FPV. The DJI FPV batteries use the newer BQ9006 chip on the BMS board. The i2C connections can bee seen in the picture below, and they do run up to the battery connector.
[Image]

Did you try Unseal ?
2023-4-9
Use props
aytacengin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 658937 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

AirCruiser Posted at 1-15 06:47
I wanted to play a bit with the "DJI Battery Killer" tool. But it seems a little hard to find valid download sources. Can you give me a link (here or PM)?
I would be very happy about that

Http://wa.me/908503468553 could you contact us for developing
2023-4-9
Use props
fansb73433dc
lvl.2

Thailand

Hey, nice work, maybe you can help, I have battery communication error after minor crash on the battery. It looks like battery locks out itself, is there any way to unlock the battery?
2023-8-6
Use props
djiuser_FAYZTPumUKSv
New

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2022-4-2 19:30
Hello there AirCruiser. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend to use a 3rd party battery or modified batteries to fly your DJI FPV for compatibility and reliability purposes. These 3rd party or modified batteries might work but however, since it's not optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the 3rd party batteries if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
Thanks for telling the guy his 3rd party battery pack is not recommended.  Well then do us all a favor and put some effort into making an extended battery pack. You guys cheap out on the purpose of this drone.  We pay a lot of money as consumers for such a drone and yet you guys can’t put the time and effort into making an extended battery for us! Spending money for a 20 mins battery is crap!!! You of all people at DJI know this though! Stop talking and make a better a better battery!
2023-9-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_FAYZTPumUKSv Posted at 9-10 14:04
Thanks for telling the guy his 3rd party battery pack is not recommended.  Well then do us all a favor and put some effort into making an extended battery pack. You guys cheap out on the purpose of this drone.  We pay a lot of money as consumers for such a drone and yet you guys can’t put the time and effort into making an extended battery for us! Spending money for a 20 mins battery is crap!!! You of all people at DJI know this though! Stop talking and make a better a better battery!

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will definitely be cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
2023-9-21
Use props
ungravity_fpv
lvl.1

Spain

hi dude! what battery killer version are you using? i can read the info of the battery but all other options are greyed. i just want to clear PF flag... Thank you a lot!
im using DJi_Battery_Killer_ver.0.5beta2_01.02.2022_with_dlls_XDB.Action05
Captura.PNG
2023-10-25
Use props
ungravity_fpv
lvl.1

Spain

This is not true, you can not unseal or clear PF flags in DJI FPV batteries (bq9006 chip) with DJI battery killer. Just read data. I wasted hours researching about it... for others... don´t waste your time. If i´m wrong make me know but im quite sure after hours of research.
2023-10-25
Use props
Aerial Beast
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2025640 ft
India

One of my dji fpv battery is dead, since i haven't used or charged it for a quite long time. Who would get time to keep track on something like this to charge indefinitely to keep those batteries from self suiciding?
And you know its not even cheap. My battery isn't swollen and the internal circuit actually killed the battery.
But i have seen few people on youtube demonstrating on reviving the batteries from the dead using some kind of chip called cp2112 debug board to wake it up. Is there anything similar to that available for these fpv batteries? It would be much helpful and appreciated. How do i find SDA and SCL and ground pins on the battery connector lead without disassembling the battery? any pin diagram of the connecting cable plug?
2023-12-8
Use props
djiuser_MvIHgn51Ryyt
New

Ukraine

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-21 01:53
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will definitely be cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Well, a year has passed and DJI hasn’t made an attempt to make a battery that matches its price and is still not making it now, that’s why craftsmen do it themselves, why can’t DJI make a battery for FPV racing with a larger capacity?  do you have a shortage of engineers?  or what's the problem?
2023-12-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_MvIHgn51Ryyt Posted at 12-18 10:21
Well, a year has passed and DJI hasn’t made an attempt to make a battery that matches its price and is still not making it now, that’s why craftsmen do it themselves, why can’t DJI make a battery for FPV racing with a larger capacity?  do you have a shortage of engineers?  or what's the problem?

Hi there. We apologize if we can only do so much. Please know that all suggestions need to undergo evaluation and unfortunately, that takes time. Also, all customers can provide their suggestions and we will be more than happy to forward them to our relevant team but not everything will be approved as there may be some limitations such as technical or firmware limitations. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-12-19
Use props
nguyenmihung
lvl.1

Vietnam

I have been following your posts for the past few days. Hope you can share details about the software and DIY circuit for the Dji FPV battery, connecting to the XT60 and 6S Li-ion battery wires. I am needing it. Thanks a lot.
4-19 23:43
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules