Dramatic Descent
691 26 2022-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

I waas flying in the neighborhood, doing a slow sweep to the left at about 230 feet  when the drone lost connection to the controller and ultimately crashed. Looking at the log in Airdata it descended almost 200 feet in about 30 seconds. I've already sent it in for my one time Care Refresh replacement but I was hoping someone could look at the data and see if I accidentally was pushing down on the stick. How can I upload the data?

Thanks for your help

2022-4-3
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

You can upload your log to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and post the link for us to look at.
On Airdata, click the 'Original' link under the map to get the .txt file to uploaf to Phantom Help.
2022-4-3
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
United States

Thanks.

Here is the link

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/130P25UG1NFK1UE6MK3Y
2022-4-3
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

I do see that you had the stick pushed down from about 5:57 to very near the end of the log.

If you didn't actually have it pushed down, it could have been a faulty RC or the RC needs to be calibrated.

The top graph is your altitude. The bottom is the up-down input from the RC.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 150741.png
2022-4-3
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
United States

Wow. Thanks. Sure looks suspicious to me. I was doing that slow roll to the left but I guess there is no way to prove that I didn't suddenly mash the left stick all the way down.
2022-4-3
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

US/Ukraine people are having the issues.  I used to think I was paranoid, but these days, it's confirmed I was just right.
If you look at where people are from, that are having issues .... you'll see what I mean.
2022-4-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I may, were you watching the drone or were you watching the screen?
The way you have phrased your post makes me wonder if you were unaware of the drone descending until you looked at the airdata webpage. That seems odd to me
At what point, timewise, do you think you lost the connection?
2022-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 4-3 14:24
US/Ukraine people are having the issues.  I used to think I was paranoid, but these days, it's confirmed I was just right.
If you look at where people are from, that are having issues .... you'll see what I mean.

What do you mean?
Are you posting to the correct thread?
The OP held his left stick down for 36 seconds and his drone descended 213 feet ... there's no surprise, there's no issue.
2022-4-3
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
United States

Unfortunately I was not filming so I can't go back and review. I was watching the screen and was unaware I was descending. I lost the video for a while. When I went looking for it I got video back and  I saw wires. . . Using find my drone I was able to locate it. I think what happened is that as  I was executing a slow left turn I accidentally also pushed down on the stick. The descent seems to coincide with the time I began the turn.
Case closed.
2022-4-3
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

ans5fad8194, you search to find IF you were at fault, rather than stating some half-truth, and in my mind that is commendable.
Hope you all come up with the answer.
2022-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 4-3 18:26
ans5fad8194, you search to find IF you were at fault, rather than stating some half-truth, and in my mind that is commendable.

There's no mystery, the recorded flight data shows exactly what happened.
The drone descended because the left stick was held down for 36 seconds.
2022-4-3
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

That flight data ... Is it recorded in the drone, in the controller or in the smartphone?
2022-4-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Landey Posted at 4-3 22:48
That flight data ... Is it recorded in the drone, in the controller or in the smartphone?

flightlog.txt is on the mobile device
2022-4-3
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

JJB* Posted at 4-3 23:29
flightlog.txt is on the mobile device

Ah, that's not what I meant.
Not where the log is stored, but where the log data are captured - by the drone, by the controller or by the smartphone - before they get stored.
To express it in a different way (hard to explain): Do the data get stored after they reached the drone - or right after you did a controller input, right before they get received by the drone?
So is it possible that data of commands are stored in the log which never reached the drone?
2022-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Landey Posted at 4-3 23:34
Ah, that's not what I meant.
Not where the log is stored, but where the log data are captured - by the drone, by the controller or by the smartphone - before they get stored.
To express it in a different way (hard to explain): Do the data get stored after they reached the drone - or right after you did a controller input, right before they get received by the drone?

The recorded flight data is sent to the app by the drone.
It can't and doesn't have commands that the drone never received
2022-4-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Landey Posted at 4-3 23:34
Ah, that's not what I meant........So is it possible that data of commands are stored in the log which never reached the drone?Not where the log is

Commands are not buffered for later transmission to, or use by, the drone.
2022-4-4
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-4 01:43
Commands are not buffered for later transmission to, or use by, the drone.

So we can be rest assured that all data in the log is data properly received by the drone.
That's what I wished to make sure - no data in the log which never reached the drone, but still appearing in the log.
Also possible to find out the lag between command sent and command received by the drone?

I do ask because I witnessed some strange hiccups which might be due to a lag of command transmission OR lag of video transmission, not sure.
2022-4-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"So we can be rest assured that all data in the log is data properly received by the drone." I believe we can .
BUT a lot, and perhaps MOST, of the data in the txt flight-log relates to information about the fight that I believe to be created in the drone.

Yes stick positions, dial positions and some settings in the app are also recorded in the txt flight log but I do not know if they are recorded straight from the controller and/or app, or if they are transmitted to the drone and then returned to the controller and app for recording. The latter seems inefficient to me, though I suppose it could be a way of checking that those 'instructions' had been correctly received by the drone, a bit like visual proof of error checking when copying files from one place to another on a computer.

Regarding lag in the transmission of commands, the honest answer is I do not know, but any lag greater than maybe 1/2 second would be worrisome and I, personally, doubt there is any human perceptible lag.
Yes, going by the screen image, I have seen lag in the response of the drone but "eyes on" the drone itself I have never noticed a lag, I suspect that most of that screen observed lag is due to the processing of the video that is required at one or both ends.
If you want a much better explanation there is a good youtube about the subject that might possibly be accurate.
The subject matter of that youtube is the evolution of the various transmission 'protocols' e.g. occsync? and whatever, and the chipsets used. From memory a discussion of the corresponding lags is also included.
You will have to google it, I do not have a link.

2022-4-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Landey Posted at 4-4 03:03
So we can be rest assured that all data in the log is data properly received by the drone.
That's what I wished to make sure - no data in the log which never reached the drone, but still appearing in the log.
Also possible to find out the lag between command sent and command received by the drone?

Occusync latency is around 120-130ms, not enough to be a problem in most situations.
2022-4-4
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-4 03:42
"So we can be rest assured that all data in the log is data properly received by the drone." I believe we can .
BUT a lot, and perhaps MOST, of the data in the txt flight-log relates to information about the fight that I believe to be created in the drone.

Thank you very much for the detailled explanation, Sean!
I'll have a deeper look into the matter.

Here's the reason for my strange questions - triggered by the thread creator's problem:

Some weeks ago, I was piloting the Mini 2 outside over fields and meadows, spotted a small ruin, circled it and found an open door. Of course I wished to look inside, so I planned lowering the drone to about eye level. As soon as the drone descended a bit, line of sight was cut by the ruin, orange warning on screen, video froze, I immediately stopped the downward motion - no reaction on screen,  of course. Thus I spurted to a side to get the transmission working again - and noticed the drone descended about 2 meters further down from the height I saw in the last picture transmitted.
That's what triggered the question.

Now I ask myself if if the video lagged so it didn't show the actual position before the connection was cut - or if the drone got "stuck" with the last command it got, without noticing I already returned the joystick to the center, and continued to descent while the signal was out.

Guess I need to repeat that. ;)
2022-4-4
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

I'm sure there's no relationship to crashing at the Its Lit smoke shop
2022-4-4
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
United States

TomKatt Posted at 4-4 06:41
I'm sure there's no relationship to crashing at the Its Lit smoke shop

Good one.
2022-4-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Down stick issue aside, I was impressed by the curve, very smooth and fairly even, especially over that length of time.
2022-4-4
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-4 08:36
Down stick issue aside, I was impressed by the curve, very smooth and fairly even, especially over that length of time.

Thanks. I like to make videos for family and friends and I'm always working on my cinematic moves. I've made that same careless mistake with the left stick before but I caught it in time.
2022-4-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Landey Posted at 4-4 05:02
Thank you very much for the detailled explanation, Sean!
I'll have a deeper look into the matter.

RC<>Drone =  2 way comms, up link and down link values in the log.

So if your RC looses the data stream Drone > RC but the data stream RC > Drone is still there than RC commands are received and followed by the drone.

This explains the lower altitude.

When only the video freezes than there is still a link RC > drone.....so with only a video freeze you fly your drone back to you ; if ofcourse you have the drone visual  or remember how /where it was positioned to give it a try to fly back to you.....

cheers
JJB
2022-4-4
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
United States

JJB* Posted at 4-4 11:14
RCDrone =  2 way comms, up link and down link values in the log.

So if your RC looses the data stream Drone > RC but the data stream RC > Drone is still there than RC commands are received and followed by the drone.

Gotcha. Thanks.
2022-4-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 2 and thank you for reaching out. It is good to know that you have already contacted our DJI support team for assistance with regards to this matter. Rest assured that we will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules