Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Issues with Motion Blur on Ronin 4D
3906 11 2022-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
radcity
lvl.2
United States

I know not everyone cares about this issue, but I really want to figure this out.
I think this camera shoots beautiful images, and it captures amazing colors. I am blown away.

But the motion blur on this camera is pretty harsh, and I think if DJI really wants to connect with filmmakers, they need to address this issue. It could even be a selling point if they figure it out.

When I shoot at 24fps with the shutter speed at double the frame rate (1/50), the motion blur still looks "digital" and harsh. There's a jumpiness to it that distracts from the image.

When I shoot at 24fps with a slower shutter speed, the harsh-ness of the motion blur is much less noticeable. Right now I'm using 1/30 shutter speed and it loses that digital jumpiness. I've also tried reducing the sharpness to -2 in the recording settings, however it's difficult to see a difference when I change this setting.

I find even when I shoot at 1/40 shutter speed there is a slight digital jumpiness in the motion blur.

Does DJI know about this? Does anyone care about this? I feel like people are slightly de-sensitized because so many shows and films now shoot at high frame rates. But I think this would push the camera into a "must buy" for lots of filmmakers if they made the motion-blur less-noticeable. Just make it invisible. Right now it's obvious.

I will post some test videos soon, but I'm super curious to hear other peoples' experiences with this.

2022-4-3
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 830564 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just for the sake of argument have you changed the shutter to Angle mode - (long press) degrees and  to 180?

Just in case 1/sec is reading incorrect?

I've had no such issue here at 25/50 UK.
2022-4-3
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 830564 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also it's worth adding I've noticed the playback glitches on the monitor sometimes which looks like a jump here and there.

I did keep checking and I thought it was in the footage but not sure - mostly think it is just camera playback

2022-4-3
Use props
radcity
lvl.2
United States

rone4d Posted at 4-3 22:15
Just for the sake of argument have you changed the shutter to Angle mode - (long press) degrees and  to 180?

Just in case 1/sec is reading incorrect?

Thank you for responding!

Yes i've tried 24fps at 180 and it looks the same as 1/50.

I tried 270 shutter angle and I think the footage looks smoother, or more naturalistic, less digital.

I've done some tests at 25fps but I think I will do more.

I haven't noticed the playback glitches on the monitor - i've been reviewing in my editor and in final exported videos.
2022-4-4
Use props
djiuser_D50w5ymZiyXS
New

United States

I’m having the same issue. Pans look absolutely terrible. It’s a shame because as of right now, this is the only major issue I’ve had with the 4D… but it is a major issue. Hoping there’s a fix for this because otherwise I think I’ll probably be returning the cam. Please if anyone has any idea what’s causing this, help me!

(Ps yes, my shutter angle is at 180 shooting 24fps)
2022-8-4
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

djiuser_D50w5ymZiyXS Posted at 8-4 15:04
I’m having the same issue. Pans look absolutely terrible. It’s a shame because as of right now, this is the only major issue I’ve had with the 4D… but it is a major issue. Hoping there’s a fix for this because otherwise I think I’ll probably be returning the cam. Please if anyone has any idea what’s causing this, help me!

(Ps yes, my shutter angle is at 180 shooting 24fps)

We have the same issue with frames dropping back during playback. DJI told me it would be fixed in the last update, but it wasn’t.

Strangely enough, if you connect an HDMI out, the issue goes away, both on the HDMI output device and also on the main screen. Super weird but good to know this means it could be easily fixed by them.
2022-10-4
Use props
brnat72
lvl.1

Spain

I'm having the same issue, even at Firmware 01.04.0200.

Motion Blur looks very digital, it's very weird and unnatural. This is an issue that DJI should be looking forward to fix it soon because no other camera I worked with presented the same digital effect.

It happens to all framerates except 30FPS which looks very fluid and natural.

Perhaps the base FPS of this camera is set to 30FPS and even if we change it to 24 or 25 it is an adaptation of this 30fps, not real FPS. This is my guess because it looks like it might be cutting frames in a weird way. This camera also can't shoot at lower FPS or Custom framerates so that gives me an idea that might be the issue. I'm just guessing because I can't understand why this is happening....

BTW DJI... Custom FPS are a MUST! Please include them in the next update!!! Would love to see the same possibilities that Blackmagic, ARRI, RED and many other brands have.
2023-1-26
Use props
Shikijo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3323150 ft
  • >>>
France

Hum, I don't really notice that yet cause the rolling shutter on 6k is a mess here.
Try to shoot on S35 or 6k 2:4:1 for reducing the RS value and maybe help for the digital effect you feel on motion blur
2023-1-26
Use props
Mr Ludo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448875 ft
United Kingdom

I'm having the same issue.

On 24fps, I've tried the shutter angles at 356 degrees, 180 degrees and 30 degrees and they all look exactly them same. You get a lot of digital shudder. It doesn't make any sense. It would be great to have a solution to this.

2023-2-16
Use props
djiuser_BvLMUzuX2S9M
New

Australia

Same issue here. This is totally unacceptable on a $10,000 camera. Did anyone get a solution?
2-13 21:00
Use props
fans522687db
lvl.1

Spain

I have to say after the latest firmware update I haven’t noticed the issue any more. Thanks DJI
3-16 08:52
Use props
fans522687db
lvl.1

Spain

I have to say after the latest firmware update I haven’t noticed the issue any more. Thanks DJI
3-16 08:52
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules