400GB microSD card in Mini2?
5906 17 2022-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

My local Costco (large, big-box store in USA) sells 400BG SanDisk Extreme microSD cards for a good price.  I've been thinking about picking up a couple.  But...

The largest card I've used in my Mini2 is 256GB.

Can the Mini2 use a 400GB card?

It's model # [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]SDSQXA1-400G-ACDMA.
The specs for the card are: 400GB, U3 A2 Micro SD XC I V30...which all appear to be the same as my 256GB card (all the tiny numbers match the same numbers on my current 256 GB card).

Anyone know if this card should work?  What's the largest (highest capacity) card a Mini2 can use?

Thanks.

2022-4-4
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The danger with using a large capacity card is, if you lose your drone, you will lose all your media on the card. I use 64gb as that's more than enough for three batteries of flying. Just my opinion.
2022-4-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Regarding whether or not it CAN be used I will pass but I would pose other things you should bear in mind.
A huge card can store a lot of footage etc., unless you back it up at regular intervals one crash or card failure/corruption could cost you all that footage.
Personally if they were the same price per Gb of storage I would go for 64Gb cards or even 32Gb cards. Unfortunately 32Gb are now rare and 64Gb are more expensive per Gb than 128Gb so I now buy 128Gb, I do not shoot high resolution stuff so would not even consider anything bigger.
2022-4-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

HI Burstmode. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Please be advised that the tested and recommended maximum capacity we can use is up to 256GB only. Thus, we recommend for you to kindly choose or use an SD card that has a capacity up to 256GB only. You may also kindly refer to the attached list we have for the tested and recommended sd cards for your DJI Mini 2. Thank you.
2022-4-4
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 634344 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn’t go more than 128gb as they can fail over time.
2022-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Catus Posted at 4-4 14:32
I wouldn’t go more than 128gb as they can fail over time.

Really? Would you like to back that up with some credible technical reason?
2022-4-4
Use props
Catus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 634344 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-4 16:20

Probably more hearsay than evidence-based.
I swopped out the sdcard on my raspberry Pi media centre for a SSD because I read somewhere that sdcards can be unreliable.
2022-4-5
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Burstmode, you are in luck!  I got one of those cards from the same place, and put a mention up here.  I got many of the same comments,
and I feel they are all well intended comments.  I have been using the card for a couple months, it has done a splendid job.  However,
I do NOT recommend that a large card like that be used as a dropping zone, to come back later and get the stuff you have put there.
My NEW method of operation now, is that I empty it with-in a short time (hour or two), so that things do not pile up - for the time that IF
something untoward does happen, it gets messed up or lost.  I would suggest a 128G card to use normally, but that big one is nice to do
LARGE sessions with, or just for trying things with the video.photo aspects of the Mini2.  You paid for it have fun, but be safe.

Something else, one day, just for interest, I am going to video a whole flight just to see which outlasts which, Battery v/s Card?  

2022-4-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-4 16:20

I can give some evidence the other way, I have a dashcam i bought back in 2008, it still has the same 16 or 32gb card in it, although, that is an SD, not a micro. On the other hand, i have had at least one fail on me from a wifi camera, it was constantly writing data 24/7, no clue on the age of that card but certainly wasnt as old.
2022-4-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Catus Posted at 4-5 01:14
Probably more hearsay than evidence-based.
I swopped out the sdcard on my raspberry Pi media centre for a SSD because I read somewhere that sdcards can be unreliable.

ooo, ya swapped one for the other SSD have a usage life of around 10 years and about the same for SD,
2022-4-5
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Nobody wondering about the unusual capacity of 400 GB? I do.
Maybe 512 GB with bad blocks, relabelled?
Any info on that?
2022-4-6
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Landey Posted at 4-6 02:05
Nobody wondering about the unusual capacity of 400 GB? I do.
Maybe 512 GB with bad blocks, relabelled?
Any info on that?

That's what I was thinking. "Off" or "strange" capacity number.
2022-4-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When I first saw mention of 400Gb, a while back in another thread, I wondered if it was a genuine card but a quick google showed quite a few of them from seemingly kosher sources.
2022-4-6
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Yep, I also found them from many different sources. Maybe it's just 512 GB cards with production faults, not reaching the regular capacity. So they get crippled to 400 GB with the bad blocks masked out and sold for a nice price.
2022-4-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Do you back up your data?
2022-4-6
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Landey Posted at 4-6 05:50
Yep, I also found them from many different sources. Maybe it's just 512 GB cards with production faults, not reaching the regular capacity. So they get crippled to 400 GB with the bad blocks masked out and sold for a nice price.

You MAY be "spot on."  I have no knowledge one way or the other, however, COSTCO
does sell what is called in some circles "seconds," in which there is some small difference
from the standard.  I put up with their Duracell batteries that some leaked and ruined a few devices, (stopped buying them there)
as well as a "Weather Station" where two numbers in the temperature section are a small
distance apart than all the other numbers.  Someone even used a black marker to underline it?  
So what is to stop San Disc from getting some money for a chip, that may have normally been trashed???
2022-4-6
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

So what is to stop San Disc from getting some money for a chip, that may have normally been trashed???

Cheap goods = cheap goods.  You pretty much always get what you pay for.

That's also the reason companies like DJI publish an authorized vendor part list.
2022-4-6
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

TomKatt Posted at 4-6 08:52
Cheap goods = cheap goods.  You pretty much always get what you pay for.

That's also the reason companies like DJI publish an authorized vendor part list.

SD IS authorized with Dji, but I don't think they notified Dji they wanted to cut their losses
Oh, since we have come to a tentative answer as to why the "400GB' figure, I think I will go back to my 128GB SD.
I doubt anything would happen but you never know.
     Just think how many computer Hard Drives world wide, have "mapped out" sectors from the manufactures, and how long and dependably
they have been plugging along
2022-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules