Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disconnected in the Air and Crashed
3020 11 2022-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ISee
lvl.1

United States

Hello. My Mavic 2 Pro was disconnected from my controller and crashed during regular operation without any notice.
The drone crashed after 4 minutes of flight and had 87% of battery life. The distance from remote controller was 242 ft.
It looks like the drone just failt in the air. The last thing I saw on my screen is "Aircraft Disconnected". Also the video file that was recording at that time is damaged.
After 3 hours when I was able to rescue my drone it was off , when I turn it on the battery % still the same when it crashed 87%. The damage is not critical and needed just replacement of two front legs. I turned on the drone and it looks like it is fully operatable.

Recently I had a problem to update and launch my App on Samsung S21 from Google Store and it prompted me to update directly from DJI.com. Then it worked.

I have no idea what happend. It might be a software problem or somethig else.
I have been flying for many years since first Mavic came out and I've never had such an experience. Pretty scary and unsafe.  
Could you advice what is my next step to figured it out? I am pretty scared to fly anymore.

Screenshot_20220403-120332.jpg
2022-4-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog.

Use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here.

cheers
JJB
2022-4-5
Use props
ISee
lvl.1

United States

JJB* Posted at 4-5 11:47
Hi,

Best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog.

Here you are.     https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/12KH2PMQ078U0E7HM4V8/

2022-4-5
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

ISee Posted at 4-5 12:01
Here you are.     https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/12KH2PMQ078U0E7HM4V8/

Hi

Sorry for your loss.

Looks like a battery fault.

2022-4-5
Use props
ISee
lvl.1

United States

Is this a battery or battery communication issue?  The battery still works and it has 87% of charge. How can report this accident to DJI for further investigation? I feel like this is a software problem they need to make attention to it. This is pretty dangerous if your SUAS can crash at any time.
Thank you All for your quick respond and advice.  
2022-4-5
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

ISee Posted at 4-5 13:09
Is this a battery or battery communication issue?  The battery is still works and it has 87% of charge. How can report this accident to DJI for further investigation? I feel like this is a software problem they need to make attention to it. This is pretty dangerous if your SUAS can crash at any time.
Thank you All for your quick respond and advice.

Hi again

Battery communication fault. Have you tried this battery in another AC? If not how do you know it still works?
Unfortunately these are electro- mechanical devices and are prone to failure at any time hence the regulations for flying them to not cause injury.
If your Mavic is still under warranty open a case with product support.
Good luck and fly safe.
2022-4-5
Use props
ISee
lvl.1

United States

Pleomax Posted at 4-5 13:32
Hi again

Battery communication fault. Have you tried this battery in another AC? If not how do you know it still works?

As I mentioned the drone is still fully functional. I put this battery back in my drone and was able to turn it on.
2022-4-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All the logs we mere mortals can read are on the phone, they are recorded ONLY whilst the drone is connected to the controller etc., so once the drone disconnectes no further information is recorded UNTIL the drone reconnects.
HOWEVER, there is a DAT log in the drone that is recorded whilst the drone is switched on, if the drone remained switch on for any length of time after the disconnection then there should be data there.
Unfortunately that DAT is encrypted and only DJI can read it.

To access the drone's DAT you need to download and instal the relevant version of the assitant 2 on your computer, start it, switch the drone on and connect the drone to computer via a USB cable.

With regards to your crash is it possible that the battery was not seated correctly and shook or something and temporarily electically disconnected from the drone?
I do not know if such a disconnection or the crash would switch the battery off. Nor do I know if the drone has an inactivity timeout/switch-off but I have had a Mavic 2 pro or zoom sit for a whilst, switched on but doing nothing, and it used barely any battery in that state, it did not switch but it was sitting for maybe 10 minutes so, I did once download the drone's DATs and that took a long time but again did not use much battery.

By any chance did you feel the battery click when you picked the drone up.

Additionally, were you watching the drone? During the outbound flight the drone was at a height of  41ft when in the area of the crash, on the return leg the drone reports a height of 24ft in the area of the crash,  I am just wondering if it is possible the drone flew into the ground or something in its flight path?.

With regard to the video you could try putting the card back in the drone and switching the drone on, that sometimes fixes a recording where the drone was switched off whilst still recording video.  I suspect you have missed that chance but it is worth a try.,
2022-4-5
Use props
ISee
lvl.1

United States

Actually, the unit was lying upside down and when I picked it up the battery fell down. That might caused when it hit the ground. Yeah, this is a good point to get more attention to the battery, but honestly, I didn't notice any visual signs before I took off and I usually make attention when I place the battery.

There were not any obstacles in that area. It was an open flat space and the aircraft was about 41ft high.
I was able to restore the last shot. Flyes as usual then just stopped. No crash was recorded. Thanks for the trick!
2022-4-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your drone did not disconnect and crash.
It lost power and crashed.
When it loses power, it falls and the app shows disconnected because there's no signal from the dead drone.
Most likely cause is the battery being dislodged during the flight.
2022-4-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Thank you for your understanding and support. Have a good one.
2022-4-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ISee Posted at 4-5 14:19
Actually, the unit was lying upside down and when I picked it up the battery fell down. That might caused when it hit the ground. Yeah, this is a good point to get more attention to the battery, but honestly, I didn't notice any visual signs before I took off and I usually make attention when I place the battery.

There were not any obstacles in that area. It was an open flat space and the aircraft was about 41ft high.

It is actually quite easy to miss the battery not being properly seated, I had one a few days ago but fortunately I got a warning either before, or as, I tried to launch.
Normally I wrap a hand around the drone and lightly squeeze. I think that time I just lightly pressed down on the battery because the drone was sitting on a table top and I didn't want to load the undercarriage.

Ahhh the video explains some of the Nazca Lines I was looking at on the Phantomhelp page, nice boot. LOL
2022-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules