2559 60 2022-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/the-big-gnss-gps-issue-the-constructive-thread.121815/post-1406833

New information from my request to DJI (I'm french, so I have used a translator to convert to english)

Support3.NL (DJI Support)
6 Apr 2022, 19:34 UTC+8
Hello Emmanuel,

Thank you for contacting DJI EU support.

We have just received an internal note regarding your GNSS/GPS reception time issue on the Mavic 3.

Following the last update, we are finding that some users are still experiencing reception/timeout issues, especially in high latitude areas.
You can therefore ignore our previous email requesting flight history information from the drone and the application.

We have also detected that the presence or absence of an internet connection on the mobile device/remote control can also affect the reception time.
If this is connected to the internet, the reception will be faster.

The source of the problem has been located and a new update is planned, which will be issued in the next two months.

We apologize again for the problem encountered and we are doing everything necessary to restore the proper functioning as soon as possible.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any question. Thank you for your confidence.

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Marc
Support3.NL
DJI NL Technical Support
2022-4-6
Use props
StanMaster
Banned
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-4-6
Use props
Mattft86
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73081 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well lets hope they have found the problem and sort it and restore our faith....
2022-4-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

At least there is consistency in the explanations.  This indicates that they do have a gameplan.  As to whether or not that gameplan is for benign purposes or more nefarious purposes, that's a separate conversation and I don't think it's productive to indulge in (just my opinion).
2022-4-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

High latitude would be North of 45deg wouldn't it?
Is there a demarcation in the Southern Hemisphere or does the smae wording apply there too?
2022-4-6
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

Thank you for sharing.
I will be happy if DJI fix it but ... 2 months ago they said they found the problem. It's hard for me to laugh at a sketch twice.

2022-4-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

ok well, if you guys could please start posting your latitude then we can see for ourselves, right?
2022-4-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Varies typically between 38.3500° and 39.375°.  My wait times are typically between 90 - 120 seconds when online.  I don't have offline measures at this time.
2022-4-6
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 4-6 10:28
ok well, if you guys could please start posting your latitude then we can see for ourselves, right?

I am 53N and I have to wait anywhere up to 9mins, and that's just the same online or not.
2022-4-6
Use props
Mattft86
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im Latitude 51n and Longitude -0
2022-4-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ok thanks but you need to say if you are having problems or not
anyone in alaska?
2022-4-6
Use props
Mattft86
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 4-6 10:39
ok thanks but you need to say if you are having problems or not

Sorry yes i am just the day after the new update i got a lock in under 2min. As of the 3rd of this month it went to 4min then tried again and it was 7-8 min.
2022-4-6
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I am here. The latest firmware didnt change to much for me. Still slow locking sats.

53° 32' 39.7968'' N
113° 29' 27.3444'' W
2022-4-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i would have thought high latitude to be 55 and over where there is some known gps degradation.
still doesn't explain why other dji drones are fine with "high latitude."

at least we might get a better fix (improvement).
2022-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Just remember guys, while the update coming addresses the GPS issues, there is no more rollback after this from what I have seen.
2022-4-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 4-6 10:31
Varies typically between 38.3500° and 39.375°.  My wait times are typically between 90 - 120 seconds when online.  I don't have offline measures at this time.

38.47 roughly and lately been getting times in less than a minute. I'm the one with the self healing drone. Lol
2022-4-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 4-6 11:16
38.47 roughly and lately been getting times in less than a minute. I'm the one with the self healing drone. Lol

FYI, I tried the approach that you tried on your Wolverine drone (you should name it that), and I am observing no differences.  I chilled.  No faster.  No slower, but no faster.
2022-4-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 4-6 12:05
FYI, I tried the approach that you tried on your Wolverine drone (you should name it that), and I am observing no differences.  I chilled.  No faster.  No slower, but no faster.

You chilled then performed a re-calibration of the IMU on a flat surface right away?
2022-4-6
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

42.30 N degrees

Аverage time to record a home point - 2 minutes.
During the first 40 seconds the number of satellites remains 0 (is this the case with me only?)
The drone was produced in October 2021. I received it (on a waiting list) on December 23, which makes me doubt whether I received a drone returned by someone else.
2022-4-6
Use props
Gookie88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 140643 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Roughly 51.4728° N, 3.2030° W

Home point 60 - 90secs
2022-4-6
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KokoFresha Posted at 4-6 12:38
42.30 N degrees

Аverage time to record a home point - 2 minutes.

No, I am some times more than 1 min before I get any.
2022-4-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 4-6 12:33
You chilled then performed a re-calibration of the IMU on a flat surface right away?

Yep.  It sat in fridge for a couple hours.  I set up my RC and phone BEFORE removing the drone.  I removed the drone and brought it over to the flat level table.  I turned on the drone and once there was drone/rc connect, I immediately went into IMU calibration.  Once calibration was done, I turned off and let it sit for a few hours before I tried.

I also tried in a "difficult" environment, it might actually be quicker in a very open space.  I tried from my deck, which is a covered deck next to the house.  So "challenging" environment that has never been fast.  It was not improved over past uses.  It COULD BE that I get improved results when in a very open environment, and I will try such as time permits.

Chillin...
2022-4-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 4-6 13:21
Yep.  It sat in fridge for a couple hours.  I set up my RC and phone BEFORE removing the drone.  I removed the drone and brought it over to the flat level table.  I turned on the drone and once there was drone/rc connect, I immediately went into IMU calibration.  Once calibration was done, I turned off and let it sit for a few hours before I tried.

I also tried in a "difficult" environment, it might actually be quicker in a very open space.  I tried from my deck, which is a covered deck next to the house.  So "challenging" environment that has never been fast.  It was not improved over past uses.  It COULD BE that I get improved results when in a very open environment, and I will try such as time permits.

and to think I was imagining that I was the one that saved the world from this horrid issue that some are obsessing over. Darn...I only saved myself.
2022-4-6
Use props
StanMaster
Banned
  • >>>
United States

2022-4-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

But according to a reputable member of this forum, the Mavic3's GPS behavior is normal, so what is DJI going to be fixing with the firmware that's coming in two months???
2022-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yep.  It sat in fridge for a couple hours.  I set up my RC and phone BEFORE removing the drone.  I removed the drone and brought it over to the flat level table.  I turned on the drone and once there was drone/rc connect, I immediately went into IMU calibration.  Once calibration was done, I turned off and let it sit for a few hours before I tried.

Stop distracting and wasting forum space with this nonsense about putting your drone in the fridge.
There is nothing at all about cooling the drone that would make any difference to GPS acquisition times.
It was something that made a difference to IMU warm up times in very early Phantoms and that is completely unrelated to GPS.
2022-4-6
Use props
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 631014 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-6 10:28

28 38 N.  Cold start home point lock consistently in the range of 70 to 90 seconds. Due to occluding structures at the take-off point, these times are attained by immediate launching to about 90 feet and hovering until home point lock. 0600 FW.
2022-4-6
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Labroides Posted at 4-6 15:38
Stop distracting and wasting forum space with this nonsense about putting your drone in the fridge.
There is nothing at all about cooling the drone that would make any difference to GPS acquisition times.
It was something that made a difference to IMU warm up times in very early Phantoms and that is completely unrelated to GPS.

Did you not send your M3 back for a refund?
2022-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

IMU and compass calibration has no bearing or effect on getting sat lock faster
2022-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Visual Air Posted at 4-6 16:19
Did you not send your M3 back for a refund?

Yes I did ... and I've been watching with interest to see when/if DJI fix this lemon because I'd like to be able to fly that camera.
2022-4-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 4-6 16:31
IMU and compass calibration has no bearing or effect on getting sat lock faster

I know (or think I do), and I agree.  My test was based purely on curiosity, and a challenge to myself to not presume I know so much as to discount what seems absurd.  I did not expect it to succeed.  It did not succeed.  I expected to be flamed (you are not flaming me, thank you for that).  I learned more by being humble and inquisitive.
2022-4-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am glad you did that tesst Charles.  If I do it, my family is going to have me committed.  They already think I spend too much time with drones.  But if I start taking up freezer space with one, well, the end will be near for me.
2022-4-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I respect you Labroides, yet that was uncalled for and unnecessary.  I enjoy trials and testing.  I am going to continue to test the logical, the strange, and the absurd.  I am going to continue reporting my observations and the results here.  You are free to critique my ridiculous efforts, and I will accept your critique with dignity.  Do not presume to tell me what to post or not post.  That is not your place.
2022-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Charles Adams Posted at 4-6 16:58
I respect you Labroides, yet that was uncalled for and unnecessary.  I enjoy trials and testing.  I am going to continue to test the logical, the strange, and the absurd.  I am going to continue reporting my observations and the results here.  You are free to critique my ridiculous efforts, and I will accept your critique with dignity.  Do not presume to tell me what to post or not post.  That is not your place.

It's absolute medieval nonsense to think that putting the drone in the fridge would have any effect on GPS acquisition.
Continuing to discuss it like it might have some validity, only encourages less knowledgeable people to think it's a thing.
Just give up on it because it's not.
2022-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Charles Adams Posted at 4-6 16:58

But if you insist on refrigerating the drone, you should know that it will only work if you do it at a full moon, rotate the drone fully 360° three times anti-clockwise and say the magic words.
2022-4-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-6 16:38
Yes I did ... and I've been watching with interest to see when/if DJI fix this lemon because I'd like to be able to fly that camera.

Welcome to club of - when/if DJI fix the fruit.  
You can spend a lot of no-flight time waiting for DJI to respond, firmware-fix, trying-this, trying-that, sending data, and trying a refurbish replacement.

Do hope you get your MP3 back working or a NEW MP3 - ASAP.
2022-4-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I was the one that started this Fridge thing so "cool" your beans Bucky. Case closed so don't you add to it by making snide comments.
2022-4-6
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-6 17:11
It's absolute medieval nonsense to think that putting the drone in the fridge would have any effect on GPS acquisition.
Continuing to discuss it like it might have some validity, only encourages less knowledgeable people to think it's a thing.
Just give up on it because it's not.

So you've never done nonsensical things in your life high almighty? Some people are so easy to judge others as we all will be judged in the end and I won't be judged by you.  I'm the one you should have reserved your nasty comments to, not Charles.
2022-4-6
Use props
StanMaster
Banned
  • >>>
United States

2022-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Flormo2002 Posted at 4-6 17:33
So you've never done nonsensical things in your life high almighty? Some people are so easy to judge others as we all will be judged in the end and I won't be judged by you.  I'm the one you should have reserved your nasty comments to, not Charles.

I have cooled a Phantom to fix the slow IMU warm-up issue back in 2015 when that was a thing.
But I understood what it was about.
It's a huge leap to imagine that fixing an IMU issue (that hasn't been a problem for many years) would make any difference to GPS acquisition, a completely unrelated and independent system.

Take advice from someone who knows and understands what he's talking about and stop looking for virgins to sacrifice.
2022-4-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules