Mavic Pro question
654 27 2022-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42497 ft

United States

I have a Mavic Pro that a friend gave to me after buying another (used) one for himself and after (him) attempting to  disable the auto-land on critical battery function.  He said that it wasn't even  able to be recognized by his computer any more (the Windows "Device Connect" sound).  I downloaded the Assistant 2 (for Mavic Pro) to one of my laptops and connected the drone to it and got the "connect" sound, and the Assistant even recognized the drone.  It allowed me to do a calibration on the front and bottom optical sensors, but there wasn't any firmware updates in the list (the download DID say that there were no updates available).  During this time, I was getting a flashing red/yellow indication on the rear LED.

My friend did NOT crash the drone when he had it, but had taken it out on a very long (5 mile) flight, and while on his way back to the LZ, the battery went below the Critical level and it tried to auto land at that point, but he was able to override that and got it back and landed safely and normally with only about 3% battery life remaining.

I shut the drone down, then disconnected it from the computer (got the "disconnect" sound), then powered up the Remote Controller (RC) and then the drone itself; the RC did connect to the drone - I got the "Ready to Fly" indication - and I was able to start the motors (minus the props, of course), and it looked like I was getting telemetry from the motors and the controls were working as-advertised, but I wasn't getting any video feed from the camera on either the DJI Go 4 app or the Litchi for DJI app.  I was able to control the gimbal with the RC's wheel, though.

I took the drone out to our parking lot, attached the props, then powered everything up and took off, but didn't go higher than head height (about 6-8 feet up) and it seemed to hover just fine, so I tested the controls (roll, pitch and yaw) and they also seemed fine, but still no video feed and the rear LED was still flashing red/yellow.

What else could there be wrong that I might be able to correct here?  I don't have the type of funds available (I'm on a VERY low income) to send it in for repair/refurbishment, and anything I can learn how to do myself can only help me in the future, especially if/when I get my Part 107 certificate (which I also don't have the money to take the test for yet).

Mavic Pro minus battery

Mavic Pro minus battery

Mavic Pro RC

Mavic Pro RC
2022-4-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AeroMechAZ. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to check the USB cable connecting your DJI Mavic Pro's remote controller to your mobile device if it is properly placed and may we also please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you
2022-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Did you download Assistant 2 from the link below? There is like a novice mode or something like that in the original Mavic Pro drones, I cannot recall what its called again as it has been so long, go through the app. The good news is if its flying means its okay, maybe
https://www.dji.com/nz/downloads/products/mavic
2022-4-6
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-6 22:04
Hello there AeroMechAZ. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to check the USB cable connecting your DJI Mavic Pro's remote controller to your mobile device if it is properly placed and may we also please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you

@DJI Stephen, yes, it was properly connected, and securely.  I can't do a compass calibration unless I know when to stop the rotation and in which direction to hold the aircraft when calibrating it.
2022-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

AeroMechAZ Posted at 4-6 22:41
@DJI Stephen, yes, it was properly connected, and securely.  I can't do a compass calibration unless I know when to stop the rotation and in which direction to hold the aircraft when calibrating it.

The app, GO4 should show you that on the screen
2022-4-6
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Suren Posted at 4-6 23:20
The app, GO4 should show you that on the screen

@Suren - It's not connecting to the app (either the aircraft or the RC), so there's no info or camera feed on the app.
2022-4-7
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Suren Posted at 4-6 22:38
Did you download Assistant 2 from the link below? There is like a novice mode or something like that in the original Mavic Pro drones, I cannot recall what its called again as it has been so long, go through the app. The good news is if its flying means its okay, maybe
https://www.dji.com/nz/downloads/products/mavic

@Suren, yes I did - both the Assistant 2 and the app were from the same link you posted.
2022-4-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fact that you have no video feed might indicate that the gimbal ribbon cable has in some way become compromised - loose or detached - but you say the drone has suffered no impacts. So that's less likely to be the problem.
2022-4-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Calibrating the compass is a case of holding the drone a metre or so above ground, then first rotating it horizontally through 360 degrees by hand, then when indicated by the App, point the nose of the drone at the ground and repeat the 360 degree rotation.  Do I understand correctly that the RC controls the drone movements successfully, but that you cannot connect the RC and your phone/tablet to view ?
2022-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you using a phone off the approved list,   some of the new android phones for example will not product a video feed, also have you tried another cable. (not that the side cable and bottom cable cannot be connected at the same time)
2022-4-7
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 4-7 04:54
Calibrating the compass is a case of holding the drone a metre or so above ground, then first rotating it horizontally through 360 degrees by hand, then when indicated by the App, point the nose of the drone at the ground and repeat the 360 degree rotation.  Do I understand correctly that the RC controls the drone movements successfully, but that you cannot connect the RC and your phone/tablet to view ?

@BIeriot53 was able to get it to connect to the Go 4 app finally, and was able to do a compass calibration, so now I get the flashing green light (needed the calibration because the aircraft hadn't been powered on in over a month and a half).

As to your other answer, yes, I think you're probably right as to the gimbal or camera data cable; I'm going to search for some videos as to how to (carefully) repair that issue.  And thank you for answering - Merci boucoup, monsieur!
2022-4-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AeroMechAZ Posted at 4-7 07:19
@BIeriot53 was able to get it to connect to the Go 4 app finally, and was able to do a compass calibration, so now I get the flashing green light (needed the calibration because the aircraft hadn't been powered on in over a month and a half).

As to your other answer, yes, I think you're probably right as to the gimbal or camera data cable; I'm going to search for some videos as to how to (carefully) repair that issue.  And thank you for answering - Merci boucoup, monsieur!

You're very welcome   You will certainly find a suitable video on YT with a bit of searching.  Our drones are delicate instruments and need careful handling if youre considering trying a repair yourself.
Good luck with that.
2022-4-7
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-7 05:21
Are you using a phone off the approved list,   some of the new android phones for example will not product a video feed, also have you tried another cable. (not that the side cable and bottom cable cannot be connected at the same time)

@DAFlys, I'm using a Oukitel C4 which is an Android phone and the app connects now, but still having video problems.  Might have to send it in to Rekt Drones in Phoenix (www.rektdrones.com) after all.  They charge $120 flat fee, plus parts and return shipping for the Mavic series.  My hands aren't the steadiest in the world any more (I'm in my mid-60s) and I'm afraid I might break something that isn't already broken without trying to or intending to.  Let the "young 'uns" do it (LOL).
I've also lost connection with the gimbal (wheel or 5-way button) since opening it up to visually check for loose connections (didn't actually disconnect anything).

2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Before you go checking ribbon cables etc..
Does the gimbal do a dance when the drone boots? I assume so as you mention use of the gimbal wheel and suspect you'd get warnings if the it did not dance but best to check.

Also and the reason for my post, look to see how you reset the camera setting to the default. It's not unheard of for the camera to be in manual mode and grossly underexposing resulting in a black screen, I have done that a time or two myself with other drones.
2022-4-7
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 09:53
Before you go checking ribbon cables etc..
Does the gimbal do a dance when the drone boots? I assume so as you mention use of the gimbal wheel and suspect you'd get warnings if the it did not dance but best to check.

Yes, it is going thru the normal boot-up sequence.  Now, I don't have any gimbal control at all (wheel or 5-way button) any more, and still no feed.  I also still get a "camera <mechanism(?)> malfunction" warning when checking things like whether the aircraft is connected, etc. (tapping on the "Ready to Fly" on the app).
2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you try your friends controller on your drone? I assume  "....after buying another (used) one for him...."means he bought another MPP.
It is possible you damaged or disconnected something when ".....connection with the gimbal (wheel or 5-way button) since opening it up to visually check for loose connections ...." and trying his controller is an easy way to check/
2022-4-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AeroMechAZ Posted at 4-6 22:41

Hi there AeroMechAZ. Thank you for the reply and for these information. Since are still having this issue with your DJI Mavic Pro. It would be best to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Thank you.
2022-4-7
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 17:26
Can you try your friends controller on your drone? I assume  "....after buying another (used) one for him...."means he bought another MPP.
It is possible you damaged or disconnected something when ".....connection with the gimbal (wheel or 5-way button) since opening it up to visually check for loose connections ...." and trying his controller is an s=easy way to check/

Yes I did and I got the same results.
2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AeroMechAZ Posted at 4-7 21:50
Yes I did and I got the same results.

That's a pity.
2022-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AeroMechAZ Posted at 4-7 09:49
@DAFlys, I'm using a Oukitel C4 which is an Android phone and the app connects now, but still having video problems.  Might have to send it in to Rekt Drones in Phoenix (www.rektdrones.com) after all.  They charge $120 flat fee, plus parts and return shipping for the Mavic series.  My hands aren't the steadiest in the world any more (I'm in my mid-60s) and I'm afraid I might break something that isn't already broken without trying to or intending to.  Let the "young 'uns" do it (LOL).
I've also lost connection with the gimbal (wheel or 5-way button) since opening it up to visually check for loose connections (didn't actually disconnect anything).

Might be worth asking a friend to try their phone if its on the supported list,   some slower phones and especially Android 12 struggle with video.
2022-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 4-7 23:48
Might be worth asking a friend to try their phone if its on the supported list,   some slower phones and especially Android 12 struggle with video.

I think you might be right about the phone as I have never heard of a phone like he got. If I recall, GO4 was very particular about working mostly on phones that were on the approved list
2022-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 4-7 23:58
I think you might be right about the phone as I have never heard of a phone like he got. If I recall, GO4 was very particular about working mostly on phones that were on the approved list

thanks Suren.   
2022-4-8
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Suren Posted at 4-7 23:58
I think you might be right about the phone as I have never heard of a phone like he got. If I recall, GO4 was very particular about working mostly on phones that were on the approved list

I'm not sure if mine's on the approved list or not, but it also happens (or doesn't happen as far as no video) even when I'm using my iPhone 11.
2022-4-8
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

AeroMechAZ Posted at 4-8 08:38
I'm not sure if mine's on the approved list or not, but it also happens (or doesn't happen as far as no video) even when I'm using my iPhone 11.

So with iPhone you still don't see video? Can you move the camera with the dial button? The Mavic Pro camera/lens can be changed as it has its own circuit board, I am not talking about the whole gimbal setup but the front can unscrew and a replacement fitted. See below, I did this when I had my Mavic and had issues with the camera. I had changed cable first and still nothing, replaced this and it worked.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/mark ... wE&gclsrc=aw.ds
2022-4-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Can you use the phone screen to do anything? Like auto take off? Set home point? Anything that can be done. If not, I would suspect either cable or plug. It could have lint/dirt in it keeping it from completely seating. I hope it's something simple.
2022-4-8
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-8 12:45
Can you use the phone screen to do anything? Like auto take off? Set home point? Anything that can be done. If not, I would suspect either cable or plug. It could have lint/dirt in it keeping it from completely seating. I hope it's something simple.

I haven't tried that for actual flight yet, but I will the next time I go flying.  I have done it while sitting in my apartment (minus the props, of course), and it DOES start the motors and then spool them up as if it's taking off, so it probably does work.
The 5-way button on the RC isn't working any more, though (it WAS working with the gimbal up till recently)
Regarding the "something simple", so do I!  It's a nice UAV and I can't beat the price (free)!
The camera feed's about the only thing I have left to fix - Like you said, I hope its just a simple fix, because I'm broke now (at least until my next 'payday' - Social Security - at the end of the month)!

2022-4-9
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Suren Posted at 4-8 12:14
So with iPhone you still don't see video? Can you move the camera with the dial button? The Mavic Pro camera/lens can be changed as it has its own circuit board, I am not talking about the whole gimbal setup but the front can unscrew and a replacement fitted. See below, I did this when I had my Mavic and had issues with the camera. I had changed cable first and still nothing, replaced this and it worked.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/toys-models/radio-control-robots/helicopters-multirotors/quadcopters-multirotors/listing/3540860974?gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjk3jVLVqAgf9VKm3VOUel5mVxVa8nAWA7ZqvEsDJWitjl_9fEe6f5BoCpnEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was able to move it with the wheel and the 5-way button at first, then for whatever reason, it stopped working with both the wheel and 5-way button; the gimbal does go through its movements when booting up initially, but then after that one time, whenever I powered everything on, nothing, from the wheel or the 5-way button, and still not video feed.
I did watch a video as to how to remove the front of the camera, and tried to do that myself, but wan't able to get it off, even after removing the 4 screws and attempting to (gently) use an Xacto blade to pry it loose.

2022-4-9
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2

United States

Couple of pictures in-flight, hovering above the landing pad.  Still no video feed, but it's fairly stable even in moderate winds (10-15 mph).

IMG_7073.jpg
IMG_7074[1].jpg
IMG_E7072.JPG
2022-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules