9162 248 2022-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

WHo on this Forum agrees with me that Admin and Moderators needs to be more active here? This forum has become a playground for childish taunts and antics which is causing alot of members to abondon their search for help and information and go else where. I am also part of Mavic Pilots and people of there say this forum is becoming a Total Joke. We have people that posts threads and it gets taken over with childish banter and aruguments which cause the threads to lose its focus for what it was created.
@DJI, we as your Customers, Implore you to take action on this Forum and put into affect the rules that created this Forum and bring it back to its Good ole days. Ban the trolls or give time out to people who just cannot respect others views, give time out to people who derail threads, ban people who post falsified information, Ban people who cuss others and attack people on a personal level. I can go on and on about what is happening in this forum but we need Dji to step and take control of this again

2022-4-6
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Well said Suren, but I don't think it is going to happen. I wish it were otherwise.
2022-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

yogi053 Posted at 4-6 23:37
Well said Suren, but I don't think it is going to happen. I wish it were otherwise.

Maybe a post about the childish behaviour will get the Attention of some of the higher Admins on here.
2022-4-6
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I won't hold my breath. I know I am reluctant to post in some threads for fear of  being misunderstood or what I post being misconstrued.
2022-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

yogi053 Posted at 4-6 23:47
I won't hold my breath. I know I am reluctant to post in some threads for fear of  being misunderstood or what I post being misconstrued.

And that is happening alot recently. You cannot post your own views without been called a liar or personal attacks hurled at you, its out of control.
2022-4-6
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I will watch this thread with interest. Have a good day (or night) where you are.
2022-4-6
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

yogi053 Posted at 4-6 23:53
I will watch this thread with interest. Have a good day (or night) where you are.

Thanks mate, it night here by us.
2022-4-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well said Suren,   I fully support you.   
2022-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 4-7 00:07
Well said Suren,   I fully support you.

Thank you mate. The more support we get the better to have a peaceful forum again
2022-4-7
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

I totally agree with you. Lately I have started to loose interest and placed less comments. It is sad this is happening, as there are many good people that can give good advice and we may loose them and then we all loose,
2022-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 4-7 00:09
Thank you mate. The more support we get the better to have a peaceful forum again

No probs Suren.  
2022-4-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi, Suren. We are sorry for the unpleasant experience. We have replied to your other post. Please check.
2022-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

DJI Wanda Posted at 4-7 00:28
Hi, Suren. We are sorry for the unpleasant experience. We have replied to your other post. Please check.

Thank you. All we want is a peaceful forum where debates are welcomed with no attacks s
2022-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

kyalami Posted at 4-7 00:20
I totally agree with you. Lately I have started to loose interest and placed less comments. It is sad this is happening, as there are many good people that can give good advice and we may loose them and then we all loose,

Thanks for the support. Hopefully things get better for us all
2022-4-7
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

I support. Let us be good people and make everyone's stay pleasant and useful.
2022-4-7
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Totally supportive of this
2022-4-7
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What would also be nice is if the forum's bugs can be fixed. Nearly every thread has double posts because people click "post reply" and nothing happens, so they click again.
2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whole heartedly agreed Suren, I use the "report" button quite frequently now.
2022-4-7
Use props
Oldschool
lvl.3
Russia

I agree, your moderators are very soft people. on the Russian forum, this topic would have been closed and the author was sent to the ban.)) what is this topic for?
2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oldschool Posted at 4-7 02:06
............... what is this topic for?

To gauge what other people are thinking/feeling.

Suren, can you edit the opening post and make it a poll?
2022-4-7
Use props
StanMaster
Banned
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-4-7
Use props
Oldschool
lvl.3
Russia

StanMaster Posted at 4-7 02:20
In Soviet Russia the moderators don’t ban you. You wake up with polonium for breakfast in gulag.
)))and all the best to you..
come to my insta, there is news from the gulag

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbwGz2pI6L1/?utm_medium=copy_link

I can only wish the moderators  -
what would be technical information and nothing more.

although the more conflicts, nonsense and other controversial issues on the forum, the forum is livelier ..
then trolls are needed...
2022-4-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Couldn't have said it any better Suren.  I support and applaud your effort.  
2022-4-7
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Totally Agreed ...... sometimes the users seem like the real workers ....
2022-4-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

perhaps the forum can use a bit more moderation but if i have a choice between here or the others, i choose here.  don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire where you have a forum that acts like private property and no speech rights.  one day we will have to discuss the drone laws and in other forums, you can get banned just for saying it's ok to fly at 401 feet instead of crashing your drone.  i have a pretty thick skin but i will say sometimes i hesitate to post, not because i am afraid but i still work full time and my job is in a related industry.
2022-4-7
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes additional moderation would help to enforce a minimum level of reasonable discussion and etiquette, and I would like to see us elevate our discourse.  We have been referred to in various news sources, and I was truly embarrassed that we would be associated with the "gutter talk" that is a part of nearly every thread.  I will offer a minor counter view though:  There are some who express their passionate opinions with candor, and I really do appreciate the candor.  I try to get past the "insults and condescension" and evaluate the root opinion being expressed, and for the most part I try to not "escalate".  We have some members who are blunt because that's just who they are, and I can accept and appreciate that.

I think that the right balance is for the moderators to ensure the code of conduct and forum rules are followed, and for the moderators to step in early when conversations begin to "escalate".

I also think we have a bit of a language challenge and time zone issue.  I think that English is not the native language for many of our moderators, and they aren't able to immediately detect when a conversation is going "gutter".  I also think that they are mostly active during their daytime, which is not the same as anybody else's daytime.
2022-4-7
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

I thought about making this exact thread a month ago, but figured it a waste of time. The admins could solve 90% of the problems with about 4 member bans. The thing is though you have to ban and keep them banned. The moment they show up again, you ban them immediately, and do it consistently every single day of the week. They could possibly even ban the members IP address from even accessing the website. I would take all the action I could against them. IP's can and do change though so you have to simply have moderators on this forum every single day, and they need to just be looking for those members to show up again. As soon as they post, they should be banned, and all their posts/ threads taken down. Basically zero tolerance approach. It is the only thing that works. I ran a photography community website with a big forum population in the past, and did it for several years, and I had to deal with the same type of no lifers who are ruining this forum.

It is always the people who live on the forums that are the problems, because their whole life becomes the little forum community. They have little else going on in life, so this is their life, and they have nothing better to do than sit here all day and cause drama, come up with stupidity, and cause chaos. Arguing with them, trying to point out to them how ridiculous and embarrassing they appear, nothing gets through to them. They are often narcissist and so wrapped in their own bubble you wont penetrate it. You simply have to ignore them and execute your community guideline policy strictly. If there is some process in place that is preventing admins from acting aggressively and immediately on these members then it needs to be addressed and streamlined so that admins can act to ban offenders in minutes rather than days. Anyone who perpetrates the drama should be gone. There are about 4 members I would ban immediately. 2 in particular. Admins are simply not here moderating the forums. This is very solvable with a good admin team. I was lucky on my website that I ran to have some fantastic admins to rely on, and we shut this stuff down. Once those problem members were locked down that hard, they often turned on the admins and me in particular. I can recall them looking up my address, where I lived, trying to find where I worked,  threatened to show up at my door in the middle of the night, threatened my life. They knew I had a girlfriend and tried to dig up info on her as well....All over petty drama in a photography forum on the internet. Never underestimate how far really obsessed people will push things. To most people this kind of stuff is so petty and stupid that we don't pay it any thought, but to some it consumes them, it becomes their whole life, and by removing them you essentially take that away. I say all this just because I feel its good for people to know how stupid petty forum drama can get with some people.

I have solved the problem for myself by just not visiting this forum but maybe once a week. I may just stop showing up altogether. This forum isn't exactly a good place for intelligent adults right now. It is a circus for narcissism, chest beating and other juvenile behavior.
2022-4-7
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-7 03:47
perhaps the forum can use a bit more moderation but if i have a choice between here or the others, i choose here.  don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire where you have a forum that acts like private property and no speech rights.  one day we will have to discuss the drone laws and in other forums, you can get banned just for saying it's ok to fly at 401 feet instead of crashing your drone.  i have a pretty thick skin but i will say sometimes i hesitate to post, not because i am afraid but i still work full time and my job is in a related industry.

No one here is advocating policing speech, but instead policing conduct. These are 2 very different things. Right now this forum is a circus with the conduct that is being allowed, largely perpetrated by a very small obsessed minority.
2022-4-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Agreed. There are four or five who constantly stir the pot needlessly. A simple "BLOCK MEMBER" option would go a long way toward solving the problem.
2022-4-7
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes.  Suren, absolutely it does.  It is very unpleasant to have a thread devolve into a back and forth about who said what and when with vigorous copy/paste and snapshots of PM's etc.  It sucks the air out of the room.
2022-4-7
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 4-7 04:45
Yes additional moderation would help to enforce a minimum level of reasonable discussion and etiquette, and I would like to see us elevate our discourse.  We have been referred to in various news sources, and I was truly embarrassed that we would be associated with the "gutter talk" that is a part of nearly every thread.  I will offer a minor counter view though:  There are some who express their passionate opinions with candor, and I really do appreciate the candor.  I try to get past the "insults and condescension" and evaluate the root opinion being expressed, and for the most part I try to not "escalate".  We have some members who are blunt because that's just who they are, and I can accept and appreciate that.

I think that the right balance is for the moderators to ensure the code of conduct and forum rules are followed, and for the moderators to step in early when conversations begin to "escalate".

Charles you area always such a reasoned, balanced thinker. Always enjoy seeing your posts. You are one of the assets on this forum in my opinion. You again make some good points here and things I have thought as well. The language barrier, the time zone issue, etc.

Really the problem with this forum though is with a small handful of members. The admins need to focus on them hard. I think they can do this if they will do it. The most pressing issue facing the forums are these handful of members. Those members need to be removed and forcibly kept out. As soon as those members are gone, the forum will drastically improve. Still beyond that there are some other good steps they could take, like keeping threads on topic, locking duplicate threads and consolidating, just good management practices, but the pressing issue here is the few problem members that they need to shut down with laser like focus.
2022-4-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 4-7 05:17
I thought about making this exact thread a month ago, but figured it a waste of time. The admins could solve 90% of the problems with about 4 member bans. The thing is though you have to ban and keep them banned. The moment they show up again, you ban them immediately, and do it consistently every single day of the week. They could possibly even ban the members IP address from even accessing the website. I would take all the action I could against them. IP's can and do change though so you have to simply have moderators on this forum every single day, and they need to just be looking for those members to show up again. As soon as they post, they should be banned, and all their posts/ threads taken down. Basically zero tolerance approach. It is the only thing that works. I ran a photography community website with a big forum population in the past, and did it for several years, and I had to deal with the same type of no lifers who are ruining this forum.
[view_image]

no sorry i get what you mean but this is not that type of forum and i don't believe we should do that here.  there are other forums that do exactly that but this is a dji company forum otherwise known as a public forum (with rules) and the company shouldn't act like you and your moderators did for your "private clubroom for invited guests only."  policing conduct on a forum eventually leads to policing speech.  this forum is not completely unlike other company forums, it's not perfect...but if i wanted to join a police state where someone could press a button because they don't like you and you'd disappear, i wouldn't be here.  i heard it in your post, as a moderator you were proud to shut people down and keep everyone in their place and make sure nobody stepped out of line.  you were a staunch proponent of "law and order" and maybe that was exactly what that other forum needed.  imo that's not freedom and we don't need that here.  exactly why we decided we had enough of our last law-and-order dictator.  less government, not more.  we already have enough rules in place, let's just enforce the rules we have; we don't need more rules.
2022-4-7
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Suren, I agree and support.
Personal attacks, as well as nasty arguments do not help at all.
2022-4-7
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 4-7 05:52
Charles you area always such a reasoned, balanced thinker. Always enjoy seeing your posts. You are one of the assets on this forum in my opinion. You again make some good points here and things I have thought as well. The language barrier, the time zone issue, etc.

Really the problem with this forum though is with a small handful of members. The admins need to focus on them hard. I think they can do this if they will do it. The most pressing issue facing the forums are these handful of members. Those members need to be removed and forcibly kept out. As soon as those members are gone, the forum will drastically improve. Still beyond that there are some other good steps they could take, like keeping threads on topic, locking duplicate threads and consolidating, just good management practices, but the pressing issue here is the few problem members that they need to shut down with laser like focus.

I have broad lines and high tolerances, and I'm not always well reasoned.  I do not have a list of people I would like banned.  I have a list of events that should permanently ban member(s).

Making homophobic comments should lead to a permanent ban.
Making racist comments should lead to a permanent ban.
Referencing family members to facilitate personal attacks should lead to a permanent ban.
Habitual and consistent trolling should lead to a permanent ban.

Start there.  After that, I prefer to try and elevate the discourse of members before banning.

2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 4-7 04:45

Great post
2022-4-7
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-7 06:00
no sorry i get what you mean but this is not that type of forum and i don't believe we should do that here.  there are other forums that do exactly that but this is a dji company forum otherwise known as a public forum (with rules) and the company shouldn't act like you and your moderators did for your "private clubroom for invited guests only."  policing conduct on a forum eventually leads to policing speech.  this forum is not completely unlike other company forums, it's not perfect...but if i wanted to join a police state where someone could press a button because they don't like you and you'd disappear, i wouldn't be here.  i heard it in your post, as a moderator you were proud to shut people down and keep everyone in their place and make sure nobody stepped out of line.  you were a staunch proponent of "law and order" and maybe that was exactly what that other forum needed.  imo that's not freedom and we don't need that here.  exactly why we decided we had enough of our last law-and-order dictator.  less government, not more.  we already have enough rules in place, let's just enforce the rules we have; we don't need more rules.

sorry but you are just wrong here. Drastically wrong. You are either completely not aware of what is going on here, and what this whole thread is talking about, or you just have a lot of inexperience in how a forum community should be managed. You do not just take a hands off approach to an online community and let it turn into a circus. One of the members causing problems has already been banned an unknown amount of times, but it is in the dozens. They keep coming back. I advocate making changes to enforce that ban sticks, by rebanning immediately rather than days after he returns. At present the moderators are taking too long to identify this member and ban them again - so it is an issue of time. The behavior I am talking about targeting is already against the guidelines of this forum. I am simply advocating enforcing it. You seem to want to advocate that the moderators ignore the guidelines of the forum, and allow people to fight, bicker, spam, troll, do whatever they want in the name of "freedom" or something. No, sorry, but that is not how any good forum is managed. You have guidelines (as this forum already does). Those guidelines are in place to foster an online space where good, constructive conversation, debate, and other dialogue can take place in an organised manner. If a member violates the guidlines there is a set of consequences that are predetermined. Typically it starts with a basic warning in PM, just to encourage a member to do better. In the case here htough we are WAY past that stage. As I said one member in particular has already been banned dozens of times....so the admins already want him gone. The problem is he keeps coming back, and the admins are not able to reban him quickly enough, so he sits here for days and does the same show over and over before he is eventually banned again. That reban time needs to go from days to minutes. They also need to explore ways to make the ban permanent, or add more teeth to a ban. Advocating for the guidelines to be enforced is not radical, it is basic forum management. If you still dont understand that then you are just wrong. Your opinion would change if you ever had to run something like an online community. You can NOT run one with no rules and no consequences for bad behaviour. You will end up with a few bullies who sit on the forum all day and dominate to the point that they actually run the forum and not you. You allow a power vacuum to form when there is no moderation, and what happens is certain members will start to build their own little cult following on the forum and rule by intimidation, manipulation, bullying, and aggressive tactics. Proper forum moderation is not just important, it is critical to the survival of an online community like this.

Also just to correct you on a few points. My photography community was not a private clubroom for invited guests only. It was 100% open to the public. Just make an account and and join the conversation. My website was also featured in a professional photography magazine in europe by one of their editors, where they wrote an article about our community and what we were doing. What I created was a website where you could post your photographs, and have other photographers rate, comment, and critique your photography. Over time we had tons of peoples photography in our database, and we then done like top 10 awards, and ran other contests and themes and things. It was a big community driven website, with lots of fun ways to engage. Part of our website was also a very active forum. I had off topic forums that were very active. We allowed people to talk about politics, religion, and all sorts of topics that were not even photography related. I am a huge advocate of free speech. I allowed all of that discussion. What I did NOT allow was for one, or a handful of members to take over my website with their toxicity and negativity. I am talking about people who nearly every post they made was aggressive, trolling, attacking someone personally, etc. You can not allow this crap to just go unchecked. I quickly was able to identify bad apples in my community based on very clear and visible evidence, and took swift hard action against them. Because of this, I actually was able to foster MORE free speech and discussion, because I didn't have a group of forum bullies trolling around nonstop all day attacking other members for their posts and ideas. What you fail to realize Saint is that if you dont enforce your guidlines, you actually end up with much less of the freedom you seem to want to advocate. You will also lose a huge amount of your members, often times your best members in the community will leave, because they simply wont invest their time and energy in a community that is overrun with toxicity and trolls. They will just go find somewhere else to invest their time. I was running this website out of my own pocket and spending at least 40 hours per week in development and management of the site. It was a labor of love for me largely. You better believe I wasnt going to let a handful of trolls destroy that, and that is exactly what would happen if you had tried to do what I did and just didn't enforce any rules. You have to enforce your rules. Period.
2022-4-7
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 4-7 06:25
I have broad lines and high tolerances, and I'm not always well reasoned.  I do not have a list of people I would like banned.  I have a list of events that should permanently ban member(s).

SPOT ON.  If people cannot be civil, they can be shown the door.

2022-4-7
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 4-7 06:25

I am 100% with you on this. I may be more proactive than you would be. I have been on this forum since December. The reason I have a short list of people I would ban immediately is because I have simply read the forums, and have easily identified a few members who have consistently, since I first joined, violated the forum guidelines, sometimes on a daily basis. As already mentioned one of the bans I advocate making is a member who has already been banned dozens of times. I simply advocate making that ban stick. The others on my list are as I mention above. Folks who have clearly and openly violated the forum guidelines in egregious ways, and done so repeatedly, and for months. I also do not mean to keep harping on my previous experience but I would say that I do think my previous experiences in running an online community are also big elements to my approach here. I spent a good 3 years dealing with crap just like this on a daily basis, so I have a lot of experience with it, both good and bad. I didnt always make the right decision with my website. I did make some mistakes in how I handled situations, but all of that went into learned lessons. I simply have a very zero tolerance kind of approach for people who are clearly here just to disrupt the forums. I already know the game. I know what motivates them, I know what the end game is, I know the only thing that they respond to is force. I'm talking about the most severe of offenders here. I do not at all advocate banning someone for stepping over a the line here and there, but it is VERY CLEAR who is here to cause problems. Part of being a good administrator is picking up on those problems and dealing with them as quickly as possible. This forum is a prime example of what happens when moderation is too lax in this regard. The whole reason behind Suren making this thread, this is exactly what I am speaking to. The fact that suren has even had to make this thread, and that so many agree with it, is clear evidence that enforcement is lacking. We all know that its lacking. we all should know where most of the problems are coming from here. I attack problems. I don't reason with them.
2022-4-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 4-7 06:50
sorry but you are just wrong here. Drastically wrong. You are either completely not aware of what is going on here, and what this whole thread is talking about, or you just have a lot of inexperience in how a forum community should be managed. You do not just take a hands off approach to an online community and let it turn into a circus. One of the members causing problems has already been banned an unknown amount of times, but it is in the dozens. They keep coming back. I advocate making changes to enforce that ban sticks, by rebanning immediately rather than days after he returns. At present the moderators are taking too long to identify this member and ban them again - so it is an issue of time. The behavior I am talking about targeting is already against the guidelines of this forum. I am simply advocating enforcing it. You seem to want to advocate that the moderators ignore the guidelines of the forum, and allow people to fight, bicker, spam, troll, do whatever they want in the name of "freedom" or something. No, sorry, but that is not how any good forum is managed. You have guidelines (as this forum already does). Those guidelines are in place to foster an online space where good, constructive conversation, debate, and other dialogue can take place in an organised manner. If a member violates the guidlines there is a set of consequences that are predetermined. Typically it starts with a basic warning in PM, just to encourage a member to do better. In the case here htough we are WAY past that stage. As I said one member in particular has already been banned dozens of times....so the admins already want him gone. The problem is he keeps coming back, and the admins are not able to reban him quickly enough, so he sits here for days and does the same show over and over before he is eventually banned again. That reban time needs to go from days to minutes. They also need to explore ways to make the ban permanent, or add more teeth to a ban. Advocating for the guidelines to be enforced is not radical, it is basic forum management. If you still dont understand that then you are just wrong. Your opinion would change if you ever had to run something like an online community. You can NOT run one with no rules and no consequences for bad behaviour. You will end up with a few bullies who sit on the forum all day and dominate to the point that they actually run the forum and not you. You allow a power vacuum to form when there is no moderation, and what happens is certain members will start to build their own little cult following on the forum and rule by intimidation, manipulation, bullying, and aggressive tactics. Proper forum moderation is not just important, it is critical to the survival of an online community like this.

Also just to correct you on a few points. My photography community was not a private clubroom for invited guests only. It was 100% open to the public. Just make an account and and join the conversation. My website was also featured in a professional photography magazine in europe by one of their editors, where they wrote an article about our community and what we were doing. What I created was a website where you could post your photographs, and have other photographers rate, comment, and critique your photography. Over time we had tons of peoples photography in our database, and we then done like top 10 awards, and ran other contests and themes and things. It was a big community driven website, with lots of fun ways to engage. Part of our website was also a very active forum. I had off topic forums that were very active. We allowed people to talk about politics, religion, and all sorts of topics that were not even photography related. I am a huge advocate of free speech. I allowed all of that discussion. What I did NOT allow was for one, or a handful of members to take over my website with their toxicity and negativity. I am talking about people who nearly every post they made was aggressive, trolling, attacking someone personally, etc. You can not allow this crap to just go unchecked. I quickly was able to identify bad apples in my community based on very clear and visible evidence, and took swift hard action against them. Because of this, I actually was able to foster MORE free speech and discussion, because I didn't have a group of forum bullies trolling around nonstop all day attacking other members for their posts and ideas. What you fail to realize Saint is that if you dont enforce your guidlines, you actually end up with much less of the freedom you seem to want to advocate. You will also lose a huge amount of your members, often times your best members in the community will leave, because they simply wont invest their time and energy in a community that is overrun with toxicity and trolls. They will just go find somewhere else to invest their time. I was running this website out of my own pocket and spending at least 40 hours per week in development and management of the site. It was a labor of love for me largely. You better believe I wasnt going to let a handful of trolls destroy that, and that is exactly what would happen if you had tried to do what I did and just didn't enforce any rules. You have to enforce your rules. Period.

"policing conduct on a forum eventually leads to policing speech."
2022-4-7
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-7 07:26
"policing conduct on a forum eventually leads to policing speech."

I disagree. I think you are perhaps dabbling into an abstract argument. You have to focus on reality. When you are actually having to run a forum like this you have to actually make decisions on things. You will end up for example with someone who is being targetted, bullied, or attacked, and an aggressor who is perpetrating that. You have to actually take action. Telling both sides that you are not going to act because it infringes on free speech not only doesnt work but its utterly ridiculous.

Do you think it is ok for someone to post personal attacks and toxicity against other members on this forum, and to do it on a daily basis? If you think it is ok to allow this, then what is your thoughts regarding the targets of this members toxicity? Should they just deal with it? Should they just fight back and turn every thread into an argument of personal attacks back and forth? What is the purpose of forum rules and guidelines? Do you draw the line anywhere? Can I start making threats on your life openly in the forum? Is that allowed? If it isn't then how do you square that with your seeming "Free speech, anything goes" mantra? Should anyone on the forum being able to say anything at all that they want?

My personal opinion is that your argument falls apart very rapidly in the face or real world practice. You simply cant manage anything at all that involves lots of people without rules, guidelines, and consequences. You cant raise children that way, run a company that has multiple employees, or run a country, without rules, laws. guidelines. If you take this approach you end up with power vacuums, and power vacuums are ALWAYS exploited by bad actors.
2022-4-7
Use props
1234567Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules