How to improve range
784 12 2022-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans76b3ffc6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1098894 ft
Sweden

Hi, I use my M2Pro's in my line of work, surveying power grids. That include to document the state of power line and supports, status of ground and towers and so on.
Since the areas are often very hilly and often not possible to reach higher positions for a good connection between smart controller and drone I would love to have a kind of flying router that could be sent up to an altitude above my posisition and be the interface between smart controller and drone, thereby improving range.

Does this kind of equipment exist already? If so I would appreciate any recommendations.

Fly safe
Magnus
2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does Sweden not have a range limit that is the lesser of 500m and or within VLOS? Are the restrictions for a presumably commercial pilot different? If the same rules apply to commercial flights I am very surprised that a Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom would need signal enhancement at such ranges and in line of sight.
2022-4-7
Use props
fans76b3ffc6
lvl.4
Sweden

Actually it is limited to 350 m and pilot are to keep it in sight all the time.
However, there is about 16000 km of power lines  in our country (and that is only the main distrubution net) so it would be a bit impratical to walk from tower to tower since the towers are placed  about 300-350 m between them depending on the layout of the land.
2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Practicality is not my concern, my concern is what would happen if something goes wrong whilst you drone is outside the legal envelope and someone is injured etc. and or the flight/crash is reported?  
I'd bet you'd get hammered by the authorities especially as a commercial pilot.
2022-4-7
Use props
Wilson 000
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Maybe DJI Cellular can help you?
Mavic 3 has this Cellular
2022-4-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Magnus. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI Co pilots can give out the best recommendation with regard to this inquiry. Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories like Range Extender s on your DJI Mavic 2 Pro or modify your DJI drone. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use and there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work and since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might damage the said DJI product. Thank you.
2022-4-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-7 11:59
Practicality is not my concern, my concern is what would happen if something goes wrong whilst you drone is outside the legal envelope and someone is injured etc. and or the flight/crash is reported?  
I'd bet you'd get hammered by the authorities especially as a commercial pilot.

But your concern is not relivent now is it. Why not answer the question asked
2022-4-7
Use props
fans76b3ffc6
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-7 19:15
Hello there Magnus. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI Co pilots can give out the best recommendation with regard to this inquiry. Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories like Range Extender s on your DJI Mavic 2 Pro or modify your DJI drone. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use and there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work and since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might damage the said DJI product. Thank you.

Hi DJI Stephen, thanks for your replay. Rest assured that in the areas I fly there is no danger for other people. Since high tension power lines are areas where people refrain to be with exception for other professionals who are keeping forrest growth from getting to high under the lines or other maintenance crews. I have, during my over 1000 km of flying along the lines, not seen a single person walking under the power lines.
Should there be a team doing work under the lines I definitely stay away. Common sense!
I have been flying drones for 7 years. Started with the Inspire 1 and went over to the Mavic 2 Pro as soon it came out on the market. It is a marvel of machine and have served me well.
2022-4-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

You can get the FCC hack app, it will give you FCC range like in USA.
2022-4-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 4-7 21:42
But your concern is not relivent now is it. Why not answer the question asked

Because I do not know of equipment that will do that but thought it helpful to draw the OP's attention to something that might, as a commercial pilot, land them in deep ***.

Instead of sarcasm why don't you answer the question asked?
2022-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wilson 000 Posted at 4-7 19:13
Maybe DJI Cellular can help you?
Mavic 3 has this Cellular

Thats not available outside China.
2022-4-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

google drone hacks.
2022-4-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

fans76b3ffc6 Posted at 4-7 22:05
Hi DJI Stephen, thanks for your replay. Rest assured that in the areas I fly there is no danger for other people. Since high tension power lines are areas where people refrain to be with exception for other professionals who are keeping forrest growth from getting to high under the lines or other maintenance crews. I have, during my over 1000 km of flying along the lines, not seen a single person walking under the power lines.
Should there be a team doing work under the lines I definitely stay away. Common sense!
I have been flying drones for 7 years. Started with the Inspire 1 and went over to the Mavic 2 Pro as soon it came out on the market. It is a marvel of machine and have served me well.

Hi there. Thank you for giving out these information with us and for sharing your positive feedback for DJI. Again, thank you for your valued support and keep flying.  
2022-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules