mini2 2x shooting totally broken after upated to V01.04
1084 18 2022-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
p2mmao
lvl.1

Japan

after updated mini2 to V01.04.0000, my 2x shooting totally broken, the photos taken with 2x zoom are all blur, even couldn't focus when shooting flowers, I called the tech support, they didnt admit this problem, just asked me to wait for a new firmware.

2022-4-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there p2mmao. Thank you for reaching out.
This situation has filled us with regret, we are sincerely sorry for the
trouble you’ve been caused. Can you determine if there is the same problem with not
zooming? And please try to reset the camera parameters, check whether there is
something in the lens, and you can also try to take a few more pictures of the
same object to compare.
Please send us the blurred photos from the SD card if it doesn't work. We would
check it further. Thank you.
2022-4-10
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

This thread is likely to be a joke.
The Mini 2's camera cannot do macro shots (e. g. of flowers).
2022-4-10
Use props
p2mmao
lvl.1

China

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-10 20:25
trouble you’ve been caused. Can you determine if there is the same problem with not

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7767812511

at the bottom of the first page
2022-4-10
Use props
p2mmao
lvl.1

China

Landey Posted at 4-10 22:49
This thread is likely to be a joke.
The Mini 2's camera cannot do macro shots (e. g. of flowers).

you say this the macro?

http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/df76ea7eca806538e4b607c7d2dda144ac348268.jpg?tbpicau=2022-04-13-05_16dc50fc520f86b9949f003475a96772
2022-4-10
Use props
p2mmao
lvl.1

China

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-10 20:25

1x shooting is ok
2022-4-10
Use props
p2mmao
lvl.1

China

the same place, 1x VS. 2x

https://bbs.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=298568&pid=4362394
2022-4-10
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

Of course. Because the Mini 2 does not have a zoom lens, thus it uses digital zoom, which is just the same as zooming in on pictures with your PC or smartphone.
This will always degrade picture quality.

That zoom feature you've got with your Mini 2 is primarily a means for magnifying objects for better viewing details on a tiny smartphone screen.
In theory, the digital zoom of the Mini 2's camera should work without quality losses - but in real life, the picture quality gets worse.

For best picture quality, you should never ever use a digital zoom.

Quote: "you say this the macro?"
That's not macro, that's just a little overexposure and zoom. I thought you were talking about close-up shots, which of course are impossible.

I'll take a few flower pictures with my own Mini 2 (old Firmware) a bit later, so we can compare.

2022-4-11
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Flight distance : 853645 ft
Malaysia

花的那个我觉得是他们用x2来拍的,不可能有Macro shot的效果, 除非拍近距离。

那你有放SD card 在无人机里吗 ?如果有SD Card 在里面效果肯定不同。
2022-4-11
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

p2mmao Posted at 4-10 23:31
you say this the macro?

?tbpicau=2022-04-13-05_16dc50fc520f86b9949f003475a96772

Here we go.

I've got no colorful flowers in my backyard, yet (too early in the year), but I've got a little tree.

Have a look at the two photos: Left one is a crop (cut-out) of a picture I took without any zoom - I just magnified the picture to get the same image section as the zoomed picture, picture on the right.
You'll see that the left (unzoomed) picture looks a little bit sharper, the zoomed picture looks a bit mushy.
Unzoomed picture was taken with 1/1000 s exposure time, zoomed picture with 1/500 s exposure time, both shot with ISO 100 - this is the values which got set automatically by the drone.
Longer exposure time (under the same lighting conditions) will often lead to overexposure, which you can see in the photo you posted: the blossoms are white. And overexposure makes pictures look bad.

In the second set of pictures, I simulated overexposure, so you can see the effect.
I avoided overexposure by using an EV value (Exposure value) of -1,3. You should set that, too, for all photos you take.
You can always brighten up dark areas, there will still be details. But overexposed areas lose all details, recovery is not possible.

Digital zoom a) makes the picture mushy, unsharp, b) overexposes the picture, making it look even worse.
It's not the firmware, it's just the way digital zoom works with the Mini 2.

You see? There's no benefit in taking photos with 2 × zoom, photo quality just gets worse.
Better fly a bit closer to your subject, then take a photo without any zoom. And don't forget to set the EV value to -1,3.
Comparison.jpg
Comparison_oe.jpg
2022-4-11
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Landey Posted at 4-11 23:59
Here we go.

I've got no colorful flowers in my backyard, yet (too early in the year), but I've got a little tree.

Explained well!
2022-4-12
Use props
fansb9c14c9f
lvl.1

Japan

Landey Posted at 4-11 23:59
Here we go.

Thank you for your efforts, but I'm afraid you didn't get my point, what I meant was that after updating to the latest firmware, the 2x zoom photo quality is far worse than before the update, although there is no comparison of the same location, but I firmly believe my intuition.
2022-4-12
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

fansb9c14c9f Posted at 4-12 07:37
Thank you for your efforts, but I'm afraid you didn't get my point, what I meant was that after updating to the latest firmware, the 2x zoom photo quality is far worse than before the update, although there is no comparison of the same location, but I firmly believe my intuition.

Do you have any examples of before and after?
2022-4-12
Use props
fansb9c14c9f
lvl.1

China

blue_canyon21 Posted at 4-12 07:43
Do you have any examples of before and after?

only the different locations.

Since it is a digital zoom, there must be an algorithm behind it. I think it is possible that the latest firmware has adjusted the previous algorithm, making the 2x digital zoom image quality drop.
2022-4-12
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

fansb9c14c9f Posted at 4-12 08:37
only the different locations.

Since it is a digital zoom, there must be an algorithm behind it. I think it is possible that the latest firmware has adjusted the previous algorithm, making the 2x digital zoom image quality drop.

Not really... It literally just makes the picture bigger.
Maybe make sure your lens is completely clean?
2022-4-12
Use props
fansb9c14c9f
lvl.1

China

blue_canyon21 Posted at 4-12 10:35
Not really... It literally just makes the picture bigger.
Maybe make sure your lens is completely clean?

Before each flight, I check the surface of the lens and it looks like it doesn't get any dust on it, it's clean every time
2022-4-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Your best bet is to take a photo showing the best example of what you're on about along with the camera's settings and post them here, please?
2022-4-12
Use props
Landey
lvl.4
Germany

fansb9c14c9f Posted at 4-12 07:37

Identity change? ;)

You are right, there's some pounds of algorithms doing the maths behind the shots - and of course these can change and render the quality even worse. So we cannot fully exclude that there was a change towards the dark side of the force introduced by the update.
As other pilots already asked for more or less: Is it possible to show some zoomed photos taken with the older firmware version?
If ever possible: Plus shots of the same subject, same time of day, same weather, same distance to the subject, but taken with the present firmware?
Of course it's just impossible framing the same shot again, but it would be of help if you try.
If that's not possible, a few zoomed shots taken with the older firmware could do.

2022-4-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there p2mmao. Can you update all the devices and shoot again to see if the problem persists. In addition, can you provide relevant double focus photos before and after the upgrade for our reference? If it is confirmed that it still affects your experience, we recommend that you send it back and we will check and take care of it. Thanks again.
2022-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules