Flight Authorization Hell
701 5 2022-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JacktheRipper
lvl.2

United States

I have a Mini 2 properly registered with DJI and the FAA (I know, but I did it anyway), and have a valid Fly Safe authorization for flying in a restricted (blue) zone. When I use my iPad to fly, during the Unlock process I can see the Fly Safe authorization, upload it to the Mini 2 successfully, and fly normally. I'm also successful if I use my wife's iPhone. But when I try to fly with my iPhone (same model, IoS as her's) I do not see the Fly Safe authorization, and get a small, quick window that says that I'm not logged in. But I am logged in, and I've tried all the tricks from the other forum threads on this matter to fix this (logged out, logged back in, reinstalled the DJI Fly app, restarted my iPhone, etc., etc., etc.).

And yes, I'm in the United States, and I used LAANC to get a valid authorization to fly, but DJI does not honor that. Instead, they have this lame, buggy, overly restrictive and unnecessary process that does not honor the FAA authority in this matter. Why?

So what gives? It's Sunday and there is no DJI support chat, no DJI FAQs on the subject, nothing in the tutorials, and nothing in the Mini 2 manual to help me fix this.

Has anyone out there successfully solved this? Short of that, can anyone recommend another brand of drone to buy?

2022-4-10
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve not had this problem before.  

1.  Are you sure you are logging in with the same account on each device?
2.  On the device that isn’t working, have you tried deleting the unlock completely and then trying again for a new unlock?
3.  DJI wanted to integrate LAANC into their geofencing system, however, the FAA basically kicked them out of the LAANC program due to being a foreign entity. So then DJI decided to go their own direction and make something based off of real world safety designs that would be applicable across the world and not just specific to the US.  So blame our wonderful government for the lack of LAANC integration, not DJI.
2022-4-10
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also, I almost always do the unlocks via the DJI.com/FlySafe website while at home instead of waiting to do them on site.   You might try this to see if this is more successful for you.  
2022-4-10
Use props
JacktheRipper
lvl.2

United States

KlooGee thanks for the quick reply. Just to respond to a few of you points...
(1) Yes, I always use the Fly Safe website to obtain my flight authorizations. That works well, and, again, they show up when using my iPad and wife's iPhone. All is good.
(2) Yes, I have experienced the same problem with multiple flight authorization over many weeks now.
(3) When using my iPhone, during the GEO Zone Unlock process, the authorization does not show up in the left tab, but does show up in the right tab of the flight authorization section as "automatic", But when I check the box next to it, that's when I get the "Account not logged in" message. The fact that I can see my authorization in that right tab proves I am logged in, I would believe.
(4) Well, just because the FAA doesn't play nice with DJI, I still think the DJI Fly Safe process is redundant in the US, and should be optional, not mandatory.

Thanks again for your quick reply...Jack
2022-4-10
Use props
JacktheRipper
lvl.2

United States

Update: I put in a support request via email to DJI support, and they responded immediately, even though it was Sunday. I am now flying with my iPhone.

No indication of what they fixed on their end.

Basically they said to log out of the app, log back in, update the Fly Safe database, turn on the drone and RC, open the app and do the Unlock procedure again. It worked this time. Still a mystery of why it wasn't working on just one of my devices.
2022-4-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. We strongly recommend you contact our team at flysafe@dji.com for them to help you further with this one. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules