Uncontrolled behavior of DJI mavic 3 right after take off
3836 27 2022-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KevinAtAZ
lvl.1
United States

My mavic pro 3 went out of control right after take off yesterday.

After I lift up the drone to the air, suppose it is in hover mode, but it went straight to one direction without any control.....
and it only response to the body turning stick for few moments, and for the problem occurs, I am chose the "return to home" on console, it only show the "Land" option... I remember the dron was fly up < 30 meters at the time; and after I chose the "retrun to home" buton and cancel with few cycle, it finally stopped in the air(hovering without move to any direction), by the time it flied roughly 300 meters away, and luckly I run to the spot and, using down stick to land it safely without hurt anybody.

Not sure anybody else have same experience and how this can be cured.

And also there is other glithes it bothes me, sometime the DJI FLy software showed "RC not connected" even I clearly connect the cable from controller to my iphone 12 pro.

2022-4-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Kevin

Best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog for this issue.

Use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here.

My first thought is a compass/yaw fly away....or takeoff with no GPS lock, so craft is in ATTI mode. (windy day ?)

So do you remember wich heading your drone was in the ground before takeoff?

Guess you did not check the compass heading in the flyapp map view and compare that heading with the actual heading ?

cheers
JJB
2022-4-10
Use props
KevinAtAZ
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 4-10 10:34
Hi Kevin

Best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog for this issue.

No wind.....let me find logs
2022-4-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there KevinAtAZ. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know if you receive any error message on the DJI Fly application when this happened and yay we please know if your DJI Mavic 3 had a hard landing or a crash that happened before experiencing this issue. In addition kindly please fly your DJI Mavic 3 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. Thank you.
2022-4-12
Use props
djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM
lvl.1

Jamaica

My drone flew off a couple of times straight after take off. First two times it corrected it self after a few seconds  but nearly hit a tree on both first two occassions.  The third occasion it hit my granma house. It like it was drifting round the house trying to avoid it. We all watched it disappear round the house then crash. Gimble damaged. At the worst it 1k repair. At the best it maybe a recall. Depends if dji customer service as good as Apple or as bad as Razer. Plenty of witness.

I think this is a mavic 3 take off hovering global positioning issue malfunction. I think dji will fix this issue quick and easy.
2022-4-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM Posted at 4-29 19:07
My drone flew off a couple of times straight after take off. First two times it corrected it self after a few seconds  but nearly hit a tree on both first two occassions.  The third occasion it hit my granma house. It like it was drifting round the house trying to avoid it. We all watched it disappear round the house then crash. Gimble damaged. At the worst it 1k repair. At the best it maybe a recall. Depends if dji customer service as good as Apple or as bad as Razer. Plenty of witness.

I think this is a mavic 3 take off hovering global positioning issue malfunction. I think dji will fix this issue quick and easy.

I think this is a mavic 3 take off hovering global positioning issue malfunction.
It's not .. there is no such thing.

I think dji will fix this issue quick and easy.

It's almost certain that there was nothing wrong with the drone that needs to be fixed.
If you post your flight data (like the OP failed to do above), you can have someone analyse the data to point out what caused your issue/s and help you to avoid similar (and worse)  incidents in future.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It has instructions to find the .txt file from your phone or tablet which you can upload to that site
Upload it and it gives you a summary of the flight data.
Post a link to that summary.

Or just post the .txt file
2022-4-29
Use props
djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM
lvl.1

Jamaica

Hi I researched trying to upload flight data. But do I have to purchase a phantom reader subscription to upload flight logs?? Is there no way to get this information with out purchasing a app to decrypt the dji flight log?
Kind regards
M
2022-4-30
Use props
djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM
lvl.1

Jamaica

Hi I researched trying to upload flight data. But do I have to purchase a phantom reader subscription to upload flight logs?? Is there no way to get this information with out purchasing a app to decrypt the dji flight log?

Just before it crashes into the side of the house. I noticed after watching the video map play back. All these error were appearing just after I took flight. Even one saying restart aircraft while it was suppose to be hovering. No wonder it crashes. It was confused.   I go in to dji v4 my flight record folder empty. But I can see the flight playback on my phone. but not on my rc controller.  I'm just going to send it in. I don't have the time for all this plus I don't know why dji would make customers buy a app just to see if a issue is the consumer or producer at fault.
If dji have a issue. Then ill challenge it. I know what I saw. I was not in control of the drone. Like I said. This is the third occasion.
Kind regards
I have uploaded a pic
M
Kind regards
2022-4-30
Use props
djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM
lvl.1

Jamaica

Just before it crashes into the side of the house. I noticed after watching the video map play back. All these error were appearing just after I took flight. Even one saying restart aircraft while it was suppose to be hovering. No wonder it crashes. It was confused.   I go in to dji v4 my flight record folder empty. But I can see the flight playback on my phone. but not on my rc controller.  I'm just going to send it in. I don't have the time for all this plus I don't know why dji would make customers buy a app just to see if a issue is the consumer or producer at fault.
If dji have a issue. Then ill challenge it. I know what I saw. I was not in control of the drone. Like I said. This is the third occasion.
Kind regards
M
Kind regards
M
2022-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM Posted at 4-30 03:38

Just before it crashes into the side of the house. I noticed after watching the video map play back. All these error were appearing just after I took flight. Even one saying restart aircraft while it was suppose to be hovering. No wonder it crashes. It was confused.   I go in to dji v4 my flight record folder empty. But I can see the flight playback on my phone. but not on my rc controller.  I'm just going to send it in. I don't have the time for all this plus I don't know why dji would make customers buy a app just to see if a issue is the consumer or producer at fault.

Follow the instructions ... it's completely free.
Come back here and post a link to the report it gives you.
2022-4-30
Use props
djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM
lvl.1

Jamaica

Sorry. I got a feeling that something so visually simple to look at. But it hidden info. The instruction you have given are not correct. I know how to locate files with in a storage device. Those instructions are out of date at the best. I plug my rc pro controller. There is no display showing me sync device. Once plugged. My my pc recognises the device. £ then go in to the storage. On the controller and pc vicr versa. I can not find the DJI\dji.pilot.pad\DJI_RECORD . It not here. I find it on my mobile device app (empty)when I plug it in. But I didn't use it for the flight. The phone also got a mapping recording of the incident via the app. I need to ring customer service technical department. Its useless.  I don't think it a coincidence right now that I'm unable to find the flight text data. Just like (OP)
Going back on what happened. It moves side ways then in reverse. The visual data show that. The text data is going to show the same. I dont believe this flight data is for public
2022-4-30
Use props
djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM
lvl.1

Jamaica

)      ´                                                                                         »^¯bxIêøQ7À·måïq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯ÖyIêøQ7À·måïq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯ÖyŠ‰~{¯Ö@4‹ˆû=Ç‹ˆ_{9õ‘ØH—/
¼Ý;¹ÈÃÜ,îQ‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆKÉ·NeêíCÉ·@bêì×(’4‹ˆq{¯Öy@ÁÁQ6Πg«»q{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy5¾°@=›ã-F¹¹3Hž”<0²»>1î•NEʸCJêÖy0ÚÙ+1ìâI4¸¸"?ŸÖy0ÎÚ!1î‡=E»¸AMžÖyŠ{{¯Öy‹ˆq{®Öy‹ˆq{¯Öy<êíÊæK)¿íB‚â0º¥IMÉàTb¹»ÉîH<í¿C{®ÁyôøÁÁ³0”tÝ4ÞÀ{¦\
Ý`'P®ƒ†¥ã4Ò>ñ  ô sP¤€™˜†¹Q{ñœö\óãjÚ<‘Þ¹_E\šÚ\˹.«A[Åz›ŽfVß7Å칩-òLÒkw"¹¨èf¤65
y©‹ôÍj׳±› ‘˵ç\@g:Ç>”ÐÙ1ïa„ÇÙ¬#X‰üÚOb0¼á-iJÞ<œñG@ I5ŸùÒ‰ûm&õzbVN¶èǵðbßñÑ‘wVw‚PRþ³—žõV¹"Ni™Æ7Û{#†ÎÓ:œ¼
­=׿:5ךªÙqÞöâ¯ÑÕ:9LêÒb
¸ˆ   8»Ùt¾É_…|Z°à3å팠       Z™¥ÑcýDjÇüñ>ߢ@Îä×xg¯W"yƏÕNÿ AŽ¢«”u_áNu…w=8.SòÑå¤Ù³CcŽ?
c%‰Ý¡²zפ+þ%rkzÒ(´ÒYt²‰~1.zñ/¯ªº}9ÌÍ8¹î£Pžã¿Òþp·#ìÞùé8_yº4²À å¨ pCõܱ%t¬Wè©y…¬àjfÔQ^ëÓ9¸¸„g
2022-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM Posted at 4-30 06:59
Sorry. I got a feeling that something so visually simple to look at. But it hidden info. The instruction you have given are not correct. I know how to locate files with in a storage device. Those instructions are out of date at the best. I plug my rc pro controller. There is no display showing me sync device. Once plugged. My my pc recognises the device. £ then go in to the storage. On the controller and pc vicr versa. I can not find the DJI\dji.pilot.pad\DJI_RECORD . It not here. I find it on my mobile device app (empty)when I plug it in. But I didn't use it for the flight. The phone also got a mapping recording of the incident via the app. I need to ring customer service technical department. Its useless.  I don't think it a coincidence right now that I'm unable to find the flight text data. Just like (OP)
Going back on what happened. It moves side ways then in reverse. The visual data show that. The text data is going to show the same. I dont believe this flight data is for public

If you follow the instructions, I can look at the flight data.
But if you don't post either a link to the Phantomhelp report or the full .txt file, I can't.
2022-4-30
Use props
djiuser_0CWf4MlWBqFM
lvl.1

Jamaica

Hi sorry about the nonsense talking.
Here is the ight log
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/12PK2UPV0CBZ1JAMM9YE/
2022-4-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The cause of your incident is clearly seen in your flight data.
You launched before the drone had good GPS reception.
Without GPS, your drone couldn't hold position, had no "brakes" and obstacle avoidance couldn't work.
You made full stick joystick inputs with elevator, throttle, and rudder (not a good idea when there are no brakes and obstales are close).
It looks like the collision happened at 10.5 seconds.
The drone got good GPS at 10.7 seconds, but by then it was too late to be any help.

There was no problem with the drone, just the user being impatient and failing to wait for GPS which would have made it easier and safer to fly.
2022-4-30
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The log file analysis threads always seem to have a mic-drop ending to them.  
2022-4-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

If you are a Window user, mayby use this : https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=203659
Summary chart of your flight.

Top right GPS icon in the fly app ; wait for turning into white, if white  start your flight.
(white = value 4 or 5 in the log, see red box in my chart)
red = bad idea to fly
amber = GPS sats oke for lock but no HomePoint set.
white = GPS lock + HP set.

Many happy landings in the future,
cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-5-1
Use props
djiuser_LHVRxJpGQMZ2
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-12 18:52
Hello there KevinAtAZ. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know if you receive any error message on the DJI Fly application when this happened and yay we please know if your DJI Mavic 3 had a hard landing or a crash that happened before experiencing this issue. In addition kindly please fly your DJI Mavic 3 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. Thank you.

A similar incident happened to me!! My Mavic 3 was coming in from doing a hyper lapse video. It was literally 5 ft above the landing zone when the drone all of a sudden decided to run off and thankfully crash into a tree across the street instead of fly off never to be seen again. I had extremely limited control then no control which my security cameras show. I sent my Mavic 3 in hoping DJI would repair it because it was an obvious equipment issue but DJI just got back to me and said the equipment was “acting” as it should. WTH!! If that’s acting as it should then I'm very concerned about DJI products from here on out. Sadly I don’t have DJI care refresh and because DJI is trying to say it was user error I’m gonna have to pay to have my Mavic 3 repaired. Here’s my case number incase you wanna look into this CAS-10886008-Y5F5Y2
2022-10-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_LHVRxJpGQMZ2 Posted at 10-31 15:17
A similar incident happened to me!! My Mavic 3 was coming in from doing a hyper lapse video. It was literally 5 ft above the landing zone when the drone all of a sudden decided to run off and thankfully crash into a tree across the street instead of fly off never to be seen again. I had extremely limited control then no control which my security cameras show. I sent my Mavic 3 in hoping DJI would repair it because it was an obvious equipment issue but DJI just got back to me and said the equipment was “acting” as it should. WTH!! If that’s acting as it should then I'm very concerned about DJI products from here on out. Sadly I don’t have DJI care refresh and because DJI is trying to say it was user error I’m gonna have to pay to have my Mavic 3 repaired. Here’s my case number incase you wanna look into this CAS-10886008-Y5F5Y2

Your incident probably has no similarity to the one you suggested.
If you want to understand what actually happened and why, post your flight data as the OP did.
2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_LHVRxJpGQMZ2 Posted at 10-31 15:17
A similar incident happened to me!! My Mavic 3 was coming in from doing a hyper lapse video. It was literally 5 ft above the landing zone when the drone all of a sudden decided to run off and thankfully crash into a tree across the street instead of fly off never to be seen again. I had extremely limited control then no control which my security cameras show. I sent my Mavic 3 in hoping DJI would repair it because it was an obvious equipment issue but DJI just got back to me and said the equipment was “acting” as it should. WTH!! If that’s acting as it should then I'm very concerned about DJI products from here on out. Sadly I don’t have DJI care refresh and because DJI is trying to say it was user error I’m gonna have to pay to have my Mavic 3 repaired. Here’s my case number incase you wanna look into this CAS-10886008-Y5F5Y2

Hi, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will confirm this problem and keep you updated asap.
Thank you.
2022-10-31
Use props
djiuser_LHVRxJpGQMZ2
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 10-31 15:30
Your incident probably has no similarity to the one you suggested.
If you want to understand what actually happened and why, post your flight data as the OP did.

If I had my drone I would post it’s flight data but it’s currently at a DJI facility where they have access to the  drone and flight data. Thank you for the suggestion though.
2022-11-1
Use props
djiuser_LHVRxJpGQMZ2
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-31 19:58
Thank you.

Ok, thank you.
2022-11-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_LHVRxJpGQMZ2 Posted at 11-1 07:39
If I had my drone I would post it’s flight data but it’s currently at a DJI facility where they have access to the  drone and flight data. Thank you for the suggestion though.

The flight data is in your phone or tablet, not in the drone.

It has instructions to find the .txt file from your phone or tablet which you can upload to that site
Upload it and it gives you a summary of the flight data.
Post a link to that summary.

Or just post the .txt file
2022-11-1
Use props
djiuser_LHVRxJpGQMZ2
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-1 18:04
The flight data is in your phone or tablet, not in the drone.

Ok cool, thank you for the help!! I’m gonna try and upload the link or .txt in a little bit.
2022-11-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

DJI Natalia Posted at 10-31 19:58
Thank you.

Update:
We have checked your case again, and our relevant team will contact you asap with this issue and tell you more details.
Thank you for your understanding.
2022-11-6
Use props
fansdd79a5ce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136270 ft
United Kingdom

Hi man i just lost my 2000£mavic 3 in thames river because of somethung just like this. I was trying desperatly to stop it but i was not in controll of it. Aven to i was for like 40 seconds i did managed to take it out in what i thouth its open area  over the river there was no obstruction and still my controller disconnected from the craft and started to  go in one direction and land.  I could tlrotate the drone but i coukd not use the trotleing up. I am really pisoff as i will never get my drone back. And i barely comed out of dents. I made a bussiness and now i dont have the drone ... what a
2023-7-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansdd79a5ce Posted at 7-13 09:36
Hi man i just lost my 2000£mavic 3 in thames river because of somethung just like this. I was trying desperatly to stop it but i was not in controll of it. Aven to i was for like 40 seconds i did managed to take it out in what i thouth its open area  over the river there was no obstruction and still my controller disconnected from the craft and started to  go in one direction and land.  I could tlrotate the drone but i coukd not use the trotleing up. I am really pisoff as i will never get my drone back. And i barely comed out of dents. I made a bussiness and now i dont have the drone ... what a

hi,

you lost connection...but was able to rotate   uh ?   so no disconnect!

If yoy like   share your flightlog with the forum.
use >https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-7-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fansdd79a5ce Posted at 7-13 09:36
Hi man i just lost my 2000£mavic 3 in thames river because of somethung just like this. I was trying desperatly to stop it but i was not in controll of it. Aven to i was for like 40 seconds i did managed to take it out in what i thouth its open area  over the river there was no obstruction and still my controller disconnected from the craft and started to  go in one direction and land.  I could tlrotate the drone but i coukd not use the trotleing up. I am really pisoff as i will never get my drone back. And i barely comed out of dents. I made a bussiness and now i dont have the drone ... what a

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to know the incident happened on the unit. If your drone is within the warranty period, kindly please contact our support team at https://www.dji.com/support to start a flyaway ticket. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules