Can one cut 265 footage into segments while retaining quality?
476 3 2022-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
orbitrob
lvl.2
Canada

Hi there,

I'm wondering if one can take 265 footage from a Mavic 2 Pro and cut it up into smaller segments in DaVinci resolve. I want to send only the part(s) my client wants and have it remain in 265 format so they can colour-grade however they wish.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

2022-4-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need the paid for version to export h265 (HEVC) but if they want to edit it again you'd be better with Prores export.
2022-4-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello, there orbitrob. Good day and thank you for reaching out.
If you mean you want to shoot multiple clips and use DaVinci to cut and
export in H.265 format it can be done. But it mainly depends on your use. If
the color accuracy requirements are very high, the color will be affected by
the renderer and may change to a certain extent when Da Vinci is exported
again.
Thank you.
2022-4-11
Use props
orbitrob
lvl.2
Canada

Hi DAFlys and DJI Natalia, Thanks very much for your replies!

DJI Natalia - So from what i understand you're saying that exporting .265 footage from DaVinci is not a lossless process, is that correct?

DAFlys - Yep i am running the paid version (Studio) but sounds like its not a lossless procedure to cut up .265 footage into chunks in Resolve. I've had some recommendations on another forum to try 'Lossless Cut' which gave me good results...though the footage preview window is pretty bad....because it doesn't play well with .265 content. Still its a solution, until i find a better one!
To your comment, "you'd be better with ProRes export"...I'm on a PC, so its not an option unless i grab something from "Voukoder.org" which allows ProRes export on a PC. This might be a dumb question, but can one truly turn .265 D-Log footage from a Mavic2 Pro into ProRes footage even if it wasn't shot that way natively? ....and would someone with a MAC running FCP be able to happily work with and colour grade that "PC-rendered MavicPro2/Pro-Res" footage?

Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.!
Rob

2022-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules