Noisy/Grainy/Flickering Footage
2038 13 2022-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kacper848
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1037 ft
United Kingdom

Hello, after reviewing some recent footage I have recorded, I have found that there seems to be this weird flickering effect on most of the trees and grass. I am not sure what type of visual artifact this is, whether it is noise or grain? If anyone knows how you could remove the effect in post-processing (I have access to both Premiere Pro and After Effects) or if there is a way to prevent this issue from occuring whilst recording, it would be great to know!

2022-4-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At full screen on my laptop, it doesn't look as bad as all that. What video resolution setting did you shoot the footage at?
2022-4-13
Use props
Kacper848
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-13 04:55
At full screen on my laptop, it doesn't look as bad as all that. What video resolution setting did you shoot the footage at?

It is shot in 4K. I find it quite visible, especially on the left-hand side.
2022-4-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kacper848 Posted at 4-13 05:09
It is shot in 4K. I find it quite visible, especially on the left-hand side.

Must be my rheumy old eyes then. I've run it through 4 times now, and although it's not as crisp as some footage I've seen, it's not terrible either.
2022-4-13
Use props
Kacper848
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 4-13 05:14
Must be my rheumy old eyes then. I've run it through 4 times now, and although it's not as crisp as some footage I've seen, it's not terrible either.

It's not terrible, but would still like a way to remove it
2022-4-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. We're you able to try to reset the camera settings under the DJI Go 4 app to see if the issue persists? In addition, you may try to fly the unit in different location to see if there is any changes. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-4-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kacper848 Posted at 4-13 05:43
It's not terrible, but would still like a way to remove it

Sorry to tell you, there is no way to remove that effect, it is an artifact of the MPEG encoding system. Every year at this time the same question arises as people shoot winter tree foliage where the trees are losing their leaves leaving whispy branches. The problem is that the camera can only record a bit rate maximum of 100 megabits per second, and when you are shooting 4K, that is not quite fast enough for large amounts of fine detail. You could try shooting 2K, that would marginally improve the pictures.
2022-4-14
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Similar topics have already been discussed here. The authors of the posts also saw artifacts, although in reality there were none. The reason was the low performance of computers, insufficient for viewing 4k video with a stream of 100 Mb / sec. Can you post the source for download?
2022-4-14
Use props
Kacper848
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-14 15:47
Sorry to tell you, there is no way to remove that effect, it is an artifact of the MPEG encoding system. Every year at this time the same question arises as people shoot winter tree foliage where the trees are losing their leaves leaving whispy branches. The problem is that the camera can only record a bit rate maximum of 100 megabits per second, and when you are shooting 4K, that is not quite fast enough for large amounts of fine detail. You could try shooting 2K, that would marginally improve the pictures.

Ah that's a shame, thank you very much for your response! I actually recorded this a couple of days ago, meaning it's the start of spring and the trees are actually blossoming, however I'm guessing the root cause is still the same? In that case, do you think this issue would not occur if this was being recorded in summer when the trees are completely covered by their leaves?
2022-4-15
Use props
Kacper848
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Vofas Posted at 4-14 22:34
Similar topics have already been discussed here. The authors of the posts also saw artifacts, although in reality there were none. The reason was the low performance of computers, insufficient for viewing 4k video with a stream of 100 Mb / sec. Can you post the source for download?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... d0/view?usp=sharing
To be honest I doubt that this is a PC performance issue. This is a link to the source footage file. Admittedly the artifact is less visible in the source footage, but I believe this is due to the D-Cinelike colour profile, and it is exacerbated once typical colour corrections are applied.
2022-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kacper848 Posted at 4-15 14:16
Ah that's a shame, thank you very much for your response! I actually recorded this a couple of days ago, meaning it's the start of spring and the trees are actually blossoming, however I'm guessing the root cause is still the same? In that case, do you think this issue would not occur if this was being recorded in summer when the trees are completely covered by their leaves?

Yes, the effect is less noticeable once the trees are covered in leaves. This is why the effect is primarily reported in Winter.
2022-4-15
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

Kacper848 Posted at 4-15 14:28
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jw2D-9FQ_NYVs6SIn2Ogrb0FHyO_M6d0/view?usp=sharing
To be honest I doubt that this is a PC performance issue. This is a link to the source footage file. Admittedly the artifact is less visible in the source footage, but I believe this is due to the D-Cinelike colour profile, and it is exacerbated once typical colour corrections are applied.

The moiré or flickering effect is very noticeable. But it shows up when viewed with Windows Media Player. On other players, there are no artifacts in the video. In the evening I'll try to check in Adobe Premiere. I'll let you know about the results.
2022-4-17
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer

Kacper848 Posted at 4-15 14:28
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jw2D-9FQ_NYVs6SIn2Ogrb0FHyO_M6d0/view?usp=sharing
To be honest I doubt that this is a PC performance issue. This is a link to the source footage file. Admittedly the artifact is less visible in the source footage, but I believe this is due to the D-Cinelike colour profile, and it is exacerbated once typical colour corrections are applied.

I checked the source on my home computer: there are no artifacts, the picture is perfect.
Tested in Windows Media Player and Adobe Premiere.
The computer is not new, configuration: AMD 3900, RAM 64 Gb, GeForce GTX 1070.
2022-4-18
Use props
ChrisE99
New

South Africa

What sharpness settings are you using for the camera? Maybe try setting it to 0 and adjusting in post processing if required. Maybe a polarizing filter will help a bit.

A few videos I have watched recommend using manual camera settings and adjusting for slightly overexposed footage and post-processing to correct, IIRC. Also using the lowest ISO setting may help with grainy footage; apparently the MA camera doesn't preform well with high ISO settings.
2022-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules