Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Pocket 2 - Overheating issue
9932 34 2022-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Denisth
lvl.2

Thailand

I always shoot in 2.7K - 60FPS and i've been using pocket 2 for 1 year now. I use it with no wifi, no extensions or other accessories.
At the beginning, everything was perfect : no heat. But now, after 1 year, overheating problems appears.This is not on the Gimbal part, but on the body. The same problem appears when the Pocket 2 is charging.
I also notoced that the battery charged at 100% in the evening has to be charged again a bit next morning... Ghost use of the battery during the night ;)
So, i suspect that the overheating issue comes from the battery. The battery is probably deteriorating with use and time...
Does anyone has the same problem ? Thks

2022-4-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-4-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've had my pocket 2 for just over a year now, and I don't experience any unduly worrying heat problems. But maybe my useage has been less than yours.
2022-4-19
Use props
Denisth
lvl.2

Thailand

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-19 03:13
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

Thank you for your answer
2022-4-20
Use props
Denisth
lvl.2

Thailand

Blériot53 Posted at 4-19 06:15
I've had my pocket 2 for just over a year now, and I don't experience any unduly worrying heat problems. But maybe my useage has been less than yours.

Thank you for your answer. My use is very reasonable : no action shooting, no accessories. When i use it, shooting time is maximum 15 minutes then stop for a while.
2022-4-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Denisth Posted at 4-20 15:56
Thank you for your answer. My use is very reasonable : no action shooting, no accessories. When i use it, shooting time is maximum 15 minutes then stop for a while.

I have the Do-it-all handle permanently attached, if that makes any difference. And, as yet, I've not done any video in 4K @ 50FPS. Which would work the CPU the hardest I expect.
2022-4-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Denisth Posted at 4-20 15:52
Thank you for your answer

You are most welcome. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-4-22
Use props
djiuser_naYOjIjVClNo
New

Panama

Mine is brand new and it overheats.  Connected to my phone it gets too hot to hold with bare hands.  Something is not right!
2022-5-12
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I recently recorded an occasion that lasted for about two hours, had the DIA Handle attached while controlling the Pocket 2 remotely with a smartphone and was charging the Pocket 2 at the same time with a powerbank in a trickle-charge mode. At about 30 minutes of recording got an overheating message, didn't cut off the recording though - just lost the remote control for a while. Turned the recording off when the half-time arrived and also turned the Pocket 2 off to let it cool down. This was in a normal temperature room.

Many have complained about this and I do find it a bit distracting. But it might have been due to charging while recording in that temperature. Earlier on, was making a time lapse on my balcony on a cooler day with the same circumstances with the charging and remote control, and had no problems then. The charging was needed though so I could record the whole ceremony.

Any ideas for helping this are welcome.
2022-5-12
Use props
Denisth
lvl.2

Thailand

djiuser_naYOjIjVClNo Posted at 5-12 09:56
Mine is brand new and it overheats.  Connected to my phone it gets too hot to hold with bare hands.  Something is not right!

Hello,
Thank you for reporting. I also noticed that overheating happens when i connect the Pocket 2 to the laptop on USB C port for transferring videos. As soon as i unplug, the heat decrease.  
2022-5-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I got my pocket 2 some weeks ago and since the screen is so small i always connect an old Iphone 6+ as a display for it but the smartphone gets really warm to hot after a while and the pocket 2 also gets really warm, even in timelaps mode or when its just switched on without recording, is this normal with this device?  The smartphone batterie also gets drained very quickly and i dont know why, i mean its only acting as a display, not as a camera or something like that and it dont need GPS, bluetooth etc.
2022-5-13
Use props
djiuser_2OsDvn6xQq78
New

Indonesia

Just bought DJI Pocket 2 today (June 11th 2022), when I try the dji at home it really heated after 5-10minutes. I tried it in the room with good temperature.

Do you have a solution for this? Can I get a return?
2022-6-11
Use props
Denisth
lvl.2

Thailand

djiuser_2OsDvn6xQq78 Posted at 6-11 03:02
Just bought DJI Pocket 2 today (June 11th 2022), when I try the dji at home it really heated after 5-10minutes. I tried it in the room with good temperature.

I have not found any solution, except avoid creating any overheating situation...
So, i don't plug Pocket 2 long time on USB port on laptop / I don't use 4K mode / i don't make long continuous shooting, i don't plug pocket 2 to my mobile phone...
I think that the problem really comes from the pocket 2 battery.
I don't expect any help from DJI... My next buy will be another brand  
2022-6-11
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

One thing that I didn't mention before: I only shot at FullHD 30 fps, so it could occur even when not shooting in 4K. Though not sure if having the High-Quality mode on had something to do with it.
2022-6-15
Use props
wa.jesse07
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4686545 ft
United States

I feel like airflow is very important. When I use my pocket 2 outdoors whiltw walking it doesn't seem to heat up as much. I could record 4k 24 for 40 minutes straight.
2022-6-15
Use props
ManusKult
lvl.1
Montenegro

Same issue here. Dealer had it tested, but say could not recreate this issue. I doubt they tested at all. Gets so hot I can't touch the screen. Absolutely useless when filming outdoors in the South.
My guess is - poor design/bad heatsink. It's memory is right behind the screen, exactly where it gets very hot + joystick gets hot too. Top part aka, gimbal is made out of metal and works as an actual heatsink, but it is way too small.
This thing requires a better design or even air cooling.
Regards
2022-7-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mention of HQ mode may be relevant.  I think the general consesus is to keep that mode off for best picture quality in fact, under most circumstances.
2022-7-3
Use props
Toth Laszlo
New
Flight distance : 267707 ft
Hungary

Hi everyone. How long can the video recording be in 4K 30fps, because max. After 10 minutes, the device overheats and stops. The recording cannot be played on any device.
Thanks for the help.
2022-7-11
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

If you need long recording buy a camcorder.
2022-7-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The Pocket 2 has been stated by DJI as being designed for long recording without overheating, so there has to be some reason (for instance a fault, or demanding settings such as HDR or HQ) causing these issues.  Certainly I've had mine running in a warm room at a party from fully charged to flat battery with no overheating problem.
2022-7-11
Use props
djiuser_85oZIthBjSfV
New
Greece

Γειά σας. Παρατήρησα όταν γράφω βίντεο 4k 60fps η κάμερα γράφει για περίπου 10 λεπτά και μετά σταματάει η εγγραφή λόγω υπερθέρμανσης. Δοκίμασα 4k 30fps βίντεο και η εγγραφή κράτησε περίπου 30 λεπτά και μετά πάλι λόγω υπερθέρμανσης σταμάτησε. Δεν τη φορτίζω κατά τη διάρκεια της εγγραφής και δεν χρησιμοποιώ αξεσουάρ. Επίσης παρατήρησα ότι ζεσταίνεται το σώμα αλλά και το gimbal. Έχετε να προτείνετε κάτι? Ευχαριστώ πολύ
2022-7-13
Use props
Heiress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mine seems to work fine.
2022-7-15
Use props
djiuser_3p0igIdIGMpS
lvl.1

United Kingdom

same here, but mine over heats even without recording (4k 60fps), after 5 mins. Im using MIMO and IPHONE and WIFI, and even without recording anything, but its sat there waiting for me to record. It looses connection with the phone and says "Handle overheated'used outside and its 25 degrees, maybe only designed winter !!!!!! im disapointed it is over featured and cant cope, and aparently thats acceptable when you bring a product to market
2022-7-22
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

Denisth Posted at 6-11 03:11
I have not found any solution, except avoid creating any overheating situation...
So, i don't plug Pocket 2 long time on USB port on laptop / I don't use 4K mode / i don't make long continuous shooting, i don't plug pocket 2 to my mobile phone...
I think that the problem really comes from the pocket 2 battery.

It’s a „don‘t do“ product, especially on the interesting parts.

As you, I don’t buy any DJI products anymore.

I can confirm, that using the iOS App, actually using the paid for (don’t-)do-it-all-handle, and actually turning the critter on, will lead to “Overheating” within 10 minutes, if 50Fps is selected (even if nothing is recorded, as I said, it’s a don’t do item, not even designed for not doing any recordings - how daft is that ;-)

It’s been a while, since DJI obviously has given up on supporting the device, so I have given up on “supporting” DJI in the future - near, far or ever.

Keep up the “don’t do” work, and DJI will soon run out of customers too…
2022-7-25
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-3 14:54
Mention of HQ mode may be relevant.  I think the general consesus is to keep that mode off for best picture quality in fact, under most circumstances.

I guess I'll have to do some comparison at some point, analyzing both video quality and the ability to run it without overheating. Thanks for your thoughts.
2022-7-25
Use props
Ricardo Vieira
lvl.4
Portugal

I never experienced overheating problems, well, at least the pocket never show me a message telling me so... It becomes hot when shooting longer videos, which I rarely do... I've never shot more than 5 minutes straight...  I always shoot in 4k 30fps or 60fps. Some say the pocket it's better in 2.7k... I've never tested it actually... some even say it's not real 4K, it's an up-scaling from 2.7K, don't know if it's true...  
2022-7-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I too am puzzled by  these reports - part of the design objective was continuous operation - I wonder whether there's a bad batch out there??
2022-7-26
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

ManusKult Posted at 7-3 06:48
Same issue here. Dealer had it tested, but say could not recreate this issue.  I doubt they tested at all. Gets so hot I can't touch the screen. Absolutely useless when filming outdoors in the South.
My guess is - poor design/bad heatsink. It's memory is right behind the screen, exactly where it gets very hot + joystick gets hot too. Top part aka, gimbal is made out of metal and works as an actual heatsink, but it is way too small.
This thing requires a better design or even air cooling.

I have the original Pocket and the Pocket 2 • No issues w/overheating
2022-7-27
Use props
djiuser_JfqQE41F0jEs
lvl.1

Denmark

djiuser_2OsDvn6xQq78 Posted at 6-11 03:02

I'm experiencing similar problems with m brand new Pocket 2 .... did u ever get ur problem fixed ??
2022-10-16
Use props
djiuser_w0RKLez9PwOh
New
United Kingdom

This is worrying as I was thinking of getting the DJI Osmo Pocket 2 to record video in 4k. I unfortunately had to return the DJI Osmo Action 3 due to it overheating after a few minutes. What's disappointing is I decided not to go for any of the GoPro's due to the reported overheating and shutdown issues. Are there any products out there without these issues? For information purposes, the recordings using the DJI Osmo Action 3 where done outdoors, not in direct sunlight and in a very cool environment!
2023-2-15
Use props
djiuser_dWZNCwMTQlar
New

United States

djiuser_naYOjIjVClNo Posted at 2022-5-12 09:56

Same problem here. Overheating before i could even activate it
2023-2-26
Use props
Cbr-reims
New
France

Hello to all,

I just received the camera few days ago for my birthday.
I am using the camera for filming thru my HO scale layout of trains.
I got a strange issue regarding this extension as an overheating message.

I am understanding tht the module is working in Wifi in collaboration with my Ipad.
I am suspecting that due to numerous galleries, the signal is lost and at the exit, the connection is relaunched many times.
Also the recording is also terminated !

I will make an extra test, launching the recording and cutting the link with the Ipad just after the start of the train.

If you have any comments, experiences ou suggests, I will appreciate.

Olivier
2023-9-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Cbr-reims Posted at 9-7 02:56
Hello to all,

I just received the camera few days ago for my birthday.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. As the DJI Pocket 2 supports shooting 4K videos at 60 fps, with a bit rate of 100 Mbps, it can generate up to 700 MB video files in a minute. Therefore, considering the huge data it generates in such a short time, it is unavoidable that the device emits heat.

Our engineers have paid special attention to this issue when designing the DJI Pocket 2. The built-in T-shaped cooling system was designed to keep transferring heat to the heat-sinking area on the gimbal pan axis base so that the device can function normally. Additionally, after repeated testing, it is ensured that the temperature of the handle is at a reasonable level. Please feel free to use your device. We appreciate your valued support.  Have a great day ahead.
2023-9-7
Use props
dwaynek
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I've also encountered overheating problems when recording for long periods (usually dies at 1 hour 10 mins) at 4k60. interestingly enough the dji pocket 2 didn't used to overheat when I first bought it but have started doing so after a year of owning it. at first, I tried using a portable fan which does work but this introduces fan noise into the video. I then tried using an nvme cooler and it has resolved this issue and introduces no noise! I've also connected a powerbank to it and it can chug along fine for over 2 hrs without overheating! hope this helps someone!
20240119_155751-s.jpg
2-6 16:54
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

For me, the Puluz cooling fan helped exceptionally well to keep the Pocket 2 cool while recording even for extended periods of time. I wrote my experiences at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 032&pid=3269848 Hopefully, this will help you as well!
3-17 16:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules