How to remove worn screw on props?
1609 8 2022-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans83efd602
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68474 ft
Philippines

Hello, kinda idiot for this, So I applied loctite 242 on screws because was anxious without it, the flight was okay but noticed that the motor on the reglued props are shaking, I'm about to balance the props by removing excess glue but used a slightly bigger screwdriver which led to this. I don't need to remove the props now because it is already not shaking.
Any ideas how to remove this worn screw? Thanks

IMG_20220419_143700.jpg
2022-4-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dremel a slot into the stop of the screw and use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it.     Failing that cut the plastic of the prop and then use mole grips to grip and rotate the screw.   
2022-4-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SEAL the motor with tape etc. before any cutting, you do not want steel swarf getting into the motor, one tiny piece of swarf could jam the motor. If you even so much as nick the blade hub scrap the blade. The hub bears a lot of stress and a nick could grow through fatigue.
Personally I think I would crush the blade hub to the screw with mole grips and use that grip the break the screw loose and spin it out.

One other idea just occurred, work a small drop of super glue into the gap around (and under?) the screw head, let the glue set and then see if the glue's grip is sufficient to use the prop to undo the screw. Scrap the blade if you try this, I do not know what the glue will do to the plastic.

If you scrap or destroy one blade destroy its companion and use two new blades to replace them
2022-4-19
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

I would try a micro screw extractor.  That seems like too small of a screw to try slotting with a Dremel tool to me.

Like these ar iFixit

Failing that, Sean-bumble-bee's idea to sacrifice the prop and just use a vise grip would probably be the easiest thing.
2022-4-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-4-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There's those reverse screw thingys, they work well same as the dremel idea
2022-4-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

They do sell various size micro screw extractors on Amazon.  I've drilled out a screw and used an extractor on original Mini but you have to go slow and steady.  
2022-4-19
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Those screws do a good job, but they are little fellas.  I posted a place to get the right screw driver for them in some base, but do not
remember which.  The screwdriver I got works fine.  Do let us know the outcome.  I would try to grip the screwhead and slowly undo it
if possible.
2022-4-24
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

Dip the screwdriver in to oil and then into sand. The «paste» will create sufficient friction to remove the screw. It will require a firm «push» on to the screw.
2022-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules