2271 10 2022-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi,
Does anyone else have this experience on the Phantom 4 plastic?
No crash No hard Landing, Always stored in its original box.
5.jpeg 4.jpeg 6.jpeg 3.jpeg 2.jpeg 7.jpeg
2022-4-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-4-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even a "normal" landing of a Phantom imparts a small jolt to the landing legs which, possibly, over time, may cause stress cracks of that nature.  I had a P4 for 3 years, and used it extensively. Eventually, it needed a shell replacement.  I'd be more worried about the cracks to the battery. If those are caused by overheating, and battery swelling - even if shrinking back to normal size when cool, it may be time to replace it.
2022-4-19
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Blériot53 Posted at 4-19 08:13
Even a "normal" landing of a Phantom imparts a small jolt to the landing legs which, possibly, over time, may cause stress cracks of that nature.  I had a P4 for 3 years, and used it extensively. Eventually, it needed a shell replacement.  I'd be more worried about the cracks to the battery. If those are caused by overheating, and battery swelling - even if shrinking back to normal size when cool, it may be time to replace it.

The battery body has nothing, only the cover containing the electronics is split. Lithium elements are not swollen. What I notice is that all split batteries come from the same batch. I have one from a different batch it is intact. They all have about 70 cycles. The plastic seems to be the same as that which composes the frame of the drone. I strongly suspect a quality issue. I'll try my luck with support. But it's a P4M. Consumer support is quite efficient, for enterprise support it's another story! I'll try, we'll seeIn the picture below the top battery is from a different batch.

Batch without problem :
10 (2).jpeg
Batch with crack :
9 (2).jpeg

2022-4-20
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

There is also this weird point that ends up cracking. Unable to find what causes this dot.See the evolution after few months :

11.jpeg 12.jpeg

2022-4-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-20 00:19
There is also this weird point that ends up cracking. Unable to find what causes this dot.See the evolution after few months :

[view_image][view_image]

I see what you mean.  I had the P4 standard edition. Never experienced any battery issues at all in 3 years of  continuous use. I sold it on after I got the Mavic Pro Platinum, and now have the Mini One and the Mavic2 Zoom.
2022-4-20
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Every P4 I ever had cracks. It is just a matter of time. I think I'm on number 6. DJI will repair (exchange) for a reasonable cost.
2022-5-19
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Yep cheap Dji plastic , the dot on the battery case is from the injection mould process and i had cracks form from them , the solution is to remove the cap and drill out the dot , this stops stress fractures forming
2022-5-19
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

The cracks on the end of the battery are formed as a result of the retaining clip spring on the inside , if you remove the cover you will see what i mean , only solution i have found is to reinforce that contact area with thin plastic , if you dont eventually the clips will stop woking and your battery could fall out .
2022-5-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

We came to the conclusion that all P3 and P4 models had cracks due to poor quality plastic moulding. It happens when the plastic is recycled bacxk to the moulding machines too many times.
2022-5-20
Use props
Oto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 540348 ft
Latvia

Cheap PC (polycarbonate plastic). Known to be brittle and UV unstable. Look closer your car plastic headlights while they are on and you will see plenty of microcracks. Wrong material choice and poor manufacturing. Same happens with phone covers made from acryl.
2023-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules