If the control app crashes ....some questions.
569 4 2022-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This stems from another thread and, with regards to some points, I just want to know what actually happens.
I am not looking for "I think " or theoretical answers, rather I am seeking answers from any people who have actually tested or experienced these situations. I am aware that the RC  CAN STILL 'control' the drone.

1) If you launch with a crashed App or disconnected phone etc. are there any 'special' height and distance limits imposed? I think that the height and distance limit are stored in the drone, if that is correct then the previously used settings should be available to the drone but I do not know if those previous settings are used.
2) If the App crashes or the phone is disconnected when the drone is at distance are there any height and distance limits imposed that are with respect to where the drone was when the App crashed or the phone disconnected. I DOUBT that there are but want to check.

For the record I have had a couple of in flight App/phone crashes but that was quite a while ago and I think the drone/s was/were close at the time, so the situations did not test "2)". I remember rebooting the App or phone, or maybe even, in one instance, swapping phones, but though the situations were stressfull I still have the drones and they did not crash.

I am pretty sure I have launched without having had a phone connected but such flights would be low and close and so did not test "1)".
Thanks.

2022-4-19
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

I can't answer question 1 with certainty, but I can try to answer.
1) The height and distance limits are stored on the drone. But I also think that there are custom limits imposed when you fly without the app, but if the app crashes/disconnects when the drone is in the air, then those custom limits are removed, and the limits in set in the drone (DJI Fly App before crashing) apply.

2) I have tested this, and the drone behaves just fine, there aren't any limits imposed related to where the drone was disconnected from the app. I could return the drone using the sticks and VLOS and RTH also works.
2022-4-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

App or no app ... makes no difference.
Test for yourself by pulling the cable betweenyour phone and controller during a flight.
You can plug the cable back in anytime and things are back to normal.

2022-4-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 4-19 02:20
App or no app ... makes no difference.
Test for yourself by pulling the cable betweenyour phone and controller during a flight.
You can plug the cable back in anytime and things are back to normal.

Now that I have some confirmation that it is safe, I may well do just that.
2022-4-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yaros1 Posted at 4-19 02:03
2) I have tested this, and the drone behaves just fine, there aren't any  limits imposed related to where the drone was disconnected from the  app. I could return the drone using the sticks and VLOS and RTH also  works.

Thank for addressing 2)
2022-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules