Just bought a NIB Mavic 3 - with Build Date 11/21 - return?
1039 10 2022-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve.Petry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 462621 ft
  • >>>
United States

So... Long time DJI user.

So last week I grabbed the DJI FPV and the Mavic 3 fly more,  I decided to upgrade to the Mavic 3 from my Mavic Pro.

I bought mine from Best Buy and the box is dated 11/21.  So after reading about all the GPS issues, I paused on opening the box.  Seeing some users here have a newer build date and was wondering if the GPS problem is occuring on the first batch of Mavic 3 or all of them?

and now I see mention of a new Mavic 3s, I am thinking I will return to this unopened Mavic 3 fly more combo and wait for the release of the Mavic 3s, but the rumors on the 3s are all over the place.

So.. what have others done?  are you waitng for the 3s or are you staying with the 3

2022-4-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only point I can address is "and now I see mention of a new Mavic 3s".
There is always going to be the "next best and MUST HAVE  thing " just around the corner, then there are its teething troubles to be dealt with!
Until sonething lands on  shop shelves all speculation is hot air, much of it earning revenue for the 'heaters' via clicks and inflating the possible price.
2022-4-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i bought about a month ago and i got the same build date.

if you are reading the forum posts carefully and you can see the details about the m3s rumors then you can also see there is absolutely no mention of gps issues by build date.  the only information we know about is sw version and for sure, our 11/21 drones have early sw that must be updated and if you do that today, you will likely get gps issues.

i am past my return window and i have decided to KEEP my 11/21 build, mostly because i got a great deal and i EXPECT dji to fix this issue in the next sw version scheduled in the next 60 days.  at that point, it is likely the build date will not matter.  in the event, there continues to be an issue, i have a consumer warranty which means i will be able to file a claim with dji and return the hardware for warranty service.  if early units have an issue, that means dji will probably not dispatch replacement units from the early build.  therefore i should theoretically get a newer (better) unit.  for me, this is what i anticipate at the end of the summer.

i don't care about the 3s right now.  i will cross that bridge when i get to it.  there will always be a market for used m3 and we don't know m3s pricing, features, etc.  whatever the case, m3s will be late, probably 2024.  if anyone thinks dji has pulled their s* together and can now launch a drone on-time, that's ridiculous.
2022-4-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Steve.Petry. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have given. As of the moment, we do not have any information and updates with DJI's future products releases. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2022-4-19
Use props
djiuser_VqaUH68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1022300 ft
Australia

I have a 12 November build date, flown since mid-Dec and have rarely had poor GPS acquisition times.
Location appears to be related to this, and from my experience it is about how many GPS & Galileo satellites are available for the “cold start”. Particularly since FW.0600, if there are 12 or more GPS + Galileo SVs you shall likely not have an issue.
UAV Forecast web site and Android app can offer all Satelite constellation selections (iOS app doesn’t have BeiDou option).
2022-4-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

...but something tells me an air 3s is on the way.
2022-4-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_VqaUH68 Posted at 4-19 21:20
I have a 12 November build date, flown since mid-Dec and have rarely had poor GPS acquisition times.
Location appears to be related to this, and from my experience it is about how many GPS & Galileo satellites are available for the “cold start”. Particularly since FW.0600, if there are 12 or more GPS + Galileo SVs you shall likely not have an issue.
UAV Forecast web site and Android app can offer all Satelite constellation selections (iOS app doesn’t have BeiDou option).

Location appears to be related to this, and from my experience it is about how many GPS & Galileo satellites are available for the “cold start”.
That's not how GPS works ... there are plenty of sats in the sky wherever you are.
But there's a significant problem that's affecting the Mavic 3 which retards the acquisition of satellites so that time to first fix can be up to 10 mins for some users.

Particularly since FW.0600, if there are 12 or more GPS + Galileo SVs you shall likely not have an issue.
There are always >12 GPS + Galileo sats wherever you are, but many Mavic 3 users still have the problem.
The problem isn't that there aren't enough sats, it's that the Mavic 3 takes longer to lock on to them than any other DJI drone.

UAV Forecast web site and Android app can offer all Satelite constellation selections.
But that's a complete waste of time as there are always many more sats in your sky than you need.

2022-4-19
Use props
Yaros1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

The Saint Posted at 4-19 22:03
...but something tells me an air 3s is on the way.

Mavic Air 3 would be awesome to see. For now Air 2 is my go-to aircraft!
2022-4-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you can wait,  Id return it and wait until theres a clear fix.   If nothing else the prices have been dropping lately for the Mavic 3.
2022-4-19
Use props
djiuser_VqaUH68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1022300 ft
Australia

Labroides Posted at 4-19 22:31
Location appears to be related to this, and from my experience it is about how many GPS & Galileo satellites are available for the “cold start”.
That's not how GPS works ... there are plenty of sats in the sky wherever you are.
But there's a significant problem that's affecting the Mavic 3 which retards the acquisition of satellites so that time to first fix can be up to 10 mins for some users.

Steve, apologies for turning this into another GPS session:
I bought with the knowledge not all features were not immediately onboard, and have been largely comfortable with progress through to January FW.0500. DJI have been slow to fully acknowledge and rectify the inconsistent user experience.   

Labroides:
That's not how GPS works ... there are plenty of sats in the sky wherever you are…
There are always >12 GPS + Galileo sats wherever you are…

UAV Forecast web site…
But that's a complete waste of time as there are always many more sats in your sky than you need.

With BeiDou: agree,

2022-4-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_VqaUH68 Posted at 4-20 05:04
Steve, apologies for turning this into another GPS session:
I bought with the knowledge not all features were not immediately onboard, and have been largely comfortable with progress through to January FW.0500. DJI have been slow to fully acknowledge and rectify the inconsistent user experience.   

You are relying on the forecast's conservative estimate and you have it only counting sats that are >20° above the horizon.
There is no need at all to check the forecast apps.
No matter where or when you care to fly, there will always be many more sats than you need to fly.

2022-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules