Overthinking Charging
1043 6 2022-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Known1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 365495 ft
United States

Hello fellow mini-se owners.  I am waiting for my drone to arrive and just finished reading the user manual for the drone as well as the 2-way charging block.  After reading these manuals, I have some thoughts and questions about charging.

Two-way Charging Hub (up to three batteries):
-  The manual for this device states:  "use a DJI 18W USB Charger or an FCC/CE-cerfified USB charger that supports Quick Charge or USB Power Delivery protocol."

Charging via the drone (single battery):
-  On page 22, the user manual makes it clear that you should use a QC 2.0 charger when plugged into the drone itself
  -  Following that there is a "Tip" about using the 18W DJI charger

Knowing that QC 3.0 chargers/wall warts are available with 18W maximum outputs and are backwards compatible with QC 2.0 standards, is it safe to assume that any QC 3.0 charger with a maximum of 18W output will safely charge the single battery?  I know DJI recommends purchaing their wall wart for charging, but my question still stands.

Remote Controller Charging:
-  On page 26, the user maual states a Micro USB cable should be used for charging
  -  There is no mention of what type of charger (meaning voltage/amperage/wattage) should be used

I'm curious, what is the output rating of the wall wart you're using to chage your remote controller?  Also, for those that purchased the official DJI wall wart/charger, are you using it to charge your remote controller as well?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from others.  Hopefully I'm not the only one that over thinks these types of things.
Known1

Edit:
After posting this I went back and looked at the two-way charging hub manual again.  The very first sentance in the introduction section reads:  "The DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub is designed both to charge Intelligent Flight Batteries connected to the battery ports and eternal devices such as a DJI Mini 2 Remote Controller, smartphones, or tablets connected to the USB port."

Armed with that statement I looked up the output rating of the charging hub:  5V at 2A

Since it is stated that the charging hub can charge the remote controller, is it safe to assume when using a wall wart instead, it should have the same output rating of 5V at 2A?
2022-4-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The device you refer to as a 'charger' is not actually a charger at all. It is simply a power supply, the battery itself determines the charge rate with its built-in charge control system. Therefore the rating of the power supply will determine the maximum charge rate of the battery, up to a safe level that the battery chooses to accept.
2022-4-25
Use props
Known1
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-25 14:14
The device you refer to as a 'charger' is not actually a charger at all. It is simply a power supply, the battery itself determines the charge rate with its built-in charge control system. Therefore the rating of the power supply will determine the maximum charge rate of the battery, up to a safe level that the battery chooses to accept.

Thank you for taking time to reply.  With that said, my questions have nothing to do with how long a battery or multiple batteries will take to charge and everything to do with using the correct charger (or power supply to use your words) for the job.  The word "charger" is used to describe the device in the DJI manuals (as quoted in my OP), which is why I stuck with their terminology.  Maybe I need to rephrase my questions in green within the OP?

Ultimately, I'm currently leaning towards using a QC 3.0 18W max charger/power supply/wall wart to charge my drone as well as any batteries in the two-way charging hub.  I will then use a seperate USB charger/power supply/wall wart that has a 5V at 2A fixed output to charge the remote controller.  Based on my understanding, these are the optimal chargers/power supplies/wall warts to use.
2022-4-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're glad that you are now waiting for your new drone to arrive. With regards to the first question, Yes you can charge one battery on the Two-way Charging hub safely as this charging hub automatically recognizes the battery with the highest level and charges it first if you put 3 batteries on it. Also, as Geebax said in post #2 "the battery itself determines the charge rate with its built-in charge control system". It is recommended to use an 18W USB charger or the original charger included on the box with an output of 5v at 2a. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-4-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Known1 Posted at 4-25 14:36
Thank you for taking time to reply.  With that said, my questions have nothing to do with how long a battery or multiple batteries will take to charge and everything to do with using the correct charger (or power supply to use your words) for the job.  The word "charger" is used to describe the device in the DJI manuals (as quoted in my OP), which is why I stuck with their terminology.  Maybe I need to rephrase my questions in green within the OP?

Ultimately, I'm currently leaning towards using a QC 3.0 18W max charger/power supply/wall wart to charge my drone as well as any batteries in the two-way charging hub.  I will then use a seperate USB charger/power supply/wall wart that has a 5V at 2A fixed output to charge the remote controller.  Based on my understanding, these are the optimal chargers/power supplies/wall warts to use.

I use exactly what you describe to charge my Mini2 and it works well.  
2022-4-26
Use props
Known1
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-26 00:07
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're glad that you are now waiting for your new drone to arrive. With regards to the first question, Yes you can charge one battery on the Two-way Charging hub safely as this charging hub automatically recognizes the battery with the highest level and charges it first if you put 3 batteries on it. Also, as Geebax said in post #2 "the battery itself determines the charge rate with its built-in charge control system". It is recommended to use an 18W USB charger or the original charger included on the box with an output of 5v at 2a. Thank you for your valued support.

Perfect and thank you for confirming that I am on the right track when it comes to which charger/power-supply/wall wart to use for charging.  

I'll use an18W max output QC 3.0 for charging flight batteries and a10W (5V @ 2A constant output) for charging the remote controller.
2022-4-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Known1 Posted at 4-26 04:46
Perfect and thank you for confirming that I am on the right track when it comes to which charger/power-supply/wall wart to use for charging.  

I'll use an18W max output QC 3.0 for charging flight batteries and a10W (5V @ 2A constant output) for charging the remote controller.

You are most welcome. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Have a good one!
2022-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules