Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-4-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi,
On the video it seems that you are using ADSB with the drone on the ground. Like any antenna it has a sensitivity, the environment may disturbs the signals.
I find that it is good to put an ADSB receiver in the drones but in my opinion it is a source of problem:
-Not all aircraft are equipped with ADSB transmitter
-Civilian drones are not qualified to fly other than in direct line of sight. In my country you have to apply to the CAA to override this rule and obtain dedicated airspace.
I understand that it is frustrating to have a faulty function on a drone that costs a certain budget.

Good luck, and keep your drone in direct view, the airspace looks pretty busy over there.

2022-4-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of discussion, all I know is, it used to work.  Then came app and firmware updates.  : )   They broke it.  Also, the people you are communicating with don't have any clue on issues, status, or resolution timing.  Totally a left hand not talking to the right hand.  My bet, like most issues, it will get fixed with a subsequent update and you will see a release note that says "optimized flight experience" or some other meh type comment.
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

LV_Forestry Posted at 4-26 07:19
Hi,
On the video it seems that you are using ADSB with the drone on the ground. Like any antenna it has a sensitivity, the environment may disturbs the signals.
I find that it is good to put an ADSB receiver in the drones but in my opinion it is a source of problem:

Airsense In is no big deal and its not a requirement in almost every country for manned craft. Airsense Out, that’s a different matter and has much more relevance to both manned and unmanned aircraft. Airsense is a plane spotting tool with little or no safety redundancy. You paid for it “so it should work” but that’s about it. We will never see ADS-B out in consumer drones…
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 09:44
A lot of people find it very useful for different reasons. Ask Suren. Ask the guy who made that video. You have your opinion, but others find it an important tool. And unfortunately it doesn’t work, irrespective of your default to defend DJI.

OK for what ?
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 09:55
Well, let’s say you have a bunch of hospital helicopters flying all over the place. Or tourist helicopters. Or you live near a small airport like the guy in the video. Oftentimes these manned aircraft are flying lower than 400ft (whether they should is a different question). It provides another tool to give situational awareness. That’s always a good and valuable thing.

When one flies a manned aircraft and has radar, one still constantly observes around their craft during flight for air traffic during VFR rules. But observation doesn’t mean the radar isn’t important and vice versa, but thank you for your opinion  ;+)

If you have a bunch of helicopters Flying all over the place you won’t be flying a Drone, and you will see them live and a lot bigger than a 2mm icon on an iPhone , and tourist helicopters are the same. There is almost no redundant benefit from ADS-B In and that’s why its not mandatory even for manned aircraft. There are many free apps that will give you better information. Pilots don’t have 360 view so yes radar is extremely important to them, so turning off radar would be reckless…
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This smells like NGC.
2022-4-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

My 2 cents on this topic. It does work but not 100% now and needs more tweaking. For me it was very valuable as I was at some distance and when I got the notification on the app and saw the height of the helicopter from me, I quickly stopped flight and dropped altitude and returned to home so it does come in use.
2022-4-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

here's how i have used it.  when i fly my autel drone in a traffic area, i will launch my dji drone and hover it (not fly it since you are not allowed to pilot two drones simultaneously) and then i listen for the audible.  it's not a science project for me, i don't need all kinds of bells and whistles (no pun intended) but only an alert.  then i become more visually aware while flying the autel.  i should say this is how i mostly intend to use it since i have done this only exactly twice.  once to see if it would work and another time, while flying a 20+ minute autel waypoints mission where it is very "difficult" to see my autel at all times and i could actually maneuver the dji in the distance because the autel was basically flying itself.  midway during one mission, i actually got an alert in the area nearby and decided it was better to temporarily pause/descend the mission because i didn't know for sure (sometimes it hard to tell what is going on when drones look like specs). ;)  it is my preference not simply to dodge or miss manned aircraft but i'd rather not be seen at all.  and of course, this post is mostly off the cuff, yes i would like the feature to work (but not at great expense).
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 11:04
Anything to defend DJI, right? A feature is broken and people say they use it. You say, “you don’t need the feature!” You are literally trying to argue against a feature that promotes situational awareness. You don’t need a “bunch” of helicopters around for this to be helpful.
If DJI crippled the camera, I wouldn’t be surprised if you came in here and started saying, “well, you don’t ‘need’ 5.1K anyway.”

You should read what I write . I’m not defending anyone. But you seem to spend your time brushing the chips off your shoulder. I’d much prefer to have better camera controls than ADS-B in which serves little or no purpose, and I’m certain Most people would rather have something useful on the M3 rather than a plane spotters toy.
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

my position on this is like anything else.  good to have, not good to be mandatory requirement.

there is no documented example of this feature having prevented an aircraft-on-drone collision.

if the m3 did not have it, would you have forgone your purchase?  as with any sw feature, if it's there when you bought it but it gets broken along with way.....

i remember our friends out america used to complain alot because feature was unavailable in their drone....i never could understand that to the extent they claimed they were being deprived even though there were no guarantees.

anyway, not sure what the argument is really about....
2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Suren Posted at 4-26 11:12
My 2 cents on this topic. It does work but not 100% now and needs more tweaking. For me it was very valuable as I was at some distance and when I got the notification on the app and saw the height of the helicopter from me, I quickly stopped flight and dropped altitude and returned to home so it does come in use.

If you make good use out of Airsense that’s great and yes it should work correctly. But it has never been a problem for drone flyers to spot manned aircraft. You can hear them over 5 miles away and see them further, they have to fly above 500 ft except when landing or taking off. For planes if your flying close to flight paths the safest thing you can do for manned craft is to fly within the rules or safer still call ATC and just let them know what you’re Doing “they will thank you for this” Airsense is extremely limited it will be replaced with remote ID and for very good reason including safety. There are many things I won’t use on my drone this is one of them. It doesn’t mean I think its not important to have it working correctly for you and those who believe they will and want to use it. I have it on Air2s but I don’t use it.
2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 11:18
Again- you are being presumptuous. To you, it is a “plane spotters toy” with no use.  It isn’t that way to others. Nor is it to manned pilots as I’ve explained where you have clearly zero knowledge.  Making it work isn’t mutually exclusive to camera controls.

Manned pilots use ADS-B out because it makes sense. This is ADS-B IN on a consumer drone. Can you point to one single crash into a manned aircraft where a drone user was flying within the rules before ADS-B in . I mean how did we all manage without our plane spotter….
2022-4-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

The Saint Posted at 4-26 11:21
my position on this is like anything else.  good to have, not good to be mandatory requirement.

there is no documented example of this feature having prevented an aircraft-on-drone collision.

Think of Airsense has a car airbag, will never be used until you actually need it. Not all cars come with Airbags previously but slowly its becoming mandated. Dji obviously know what's coming hence they put Airsense in their drone. We all can only speculate if we do or don't need it but Dji knows better else they would not have installed a feature in a drone if it was not needed at all. For me personally, I have needed it and it helped me once only, will it have caused an issue if I did not have Airsense, I will never know and do not want to but having had it working at the time I needed it possible saved a manned Aircraft and I was only flying at 100 meters and the manned craft was coming towards me at 90 meters as per the app.
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 11:15
You claim “there is no benefit of ADSB-In which is why it isn’t required in manned aircraft”.
Clearly you have no experience flying manned aircraft. It is fundamentally taught in ground school that in avionics and displays. ADS-B In equipage is not required by the mandate, but it’s a great addition to your situational awareness arsenal.

Don’t splurge on your usual BS, your not a manned pilot. So stick to what is being discussed. ADS-B in is not mandatory Because its of little use to anyone as I said much more guaranteed information on free apps…
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 11:40
I’m not about to send you a copy of my Airman certificate, David. ADSB-In not being mandated has nothing to do with its usefulness.
If you don’t believe I am a manned pilot, ask any other manned pilot if ADSB-In is recommended as part of useful avionics and highly suggested. You had no idea the difference and the FAA requirements a whopping 2 weeks ago and now proclaim you know what is useful or or not? You have no credibility when it comes to this.

Well one thing everyone around here knows is you’re a liar , that’s a given. So with that I’m done here. Sam……
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 11:49
Google is your friend, David.

Oh right weren’t you calling this guy an idiot with a rag readership of 10 people. Quit your ridiculous cut and paste, its not something any pilot would lower himself to do. I am a real pilot and I can prove it .
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

yet we have thousands of motorcycles and bicycles that collide with cars and cause serious injury or death and millions of dollars in damages but nobody seems to come up with or care about mandating a collision avoidance detector for car-bike accidents.

here's what i think:  car beeper would be annoying and nobody would like it and nobody cares about the biker.  car airbag is mandatory but airbag vest for bikers and helmets not mandatory.  drone pilots are easy targets and it's easy to force things on them based up on magical horrific dreams that have never occurred.  here, wear this thousand dollar beacon, and you'll prevent being sucked into a 747 engine and bringing down an airliner full of hundreds of babies, you just don't know you need it now, what...are you going to wait until an accident happens?

in the meantime, million car accidents worldwide, for years/decades and not a peep.  the world simply tolerates vehicle deaths but find a single plane crash to be repugnant.

the way i see airsense, you need it because YOU are liable.  if there is a collision, it's your fault so if you can attach strobes, activate airsense, deploy multiple spotters, download apps, do whatever you can to minimize your risk.  you wouldn't need it so much if the rules were changed.
2022-4-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

The Saint Posted at 4-26 12:45
yet we have thousands of motorcycles and bicycles that collide with cars and cause serious injury or death and millions of dollars in damages but nobody seems to come up with or care about mandating a collision avoidance detector for car-bike accidents.

here's what i think:  car beeper would be annoying and nobody would like it and nobody cares about the biker.  car airbag is mandatory but airbag vest for bikers and helmets not mandatory.  drone pilots are easy targets and it's easy to force things on them based up on magical horrific dreams that have never occurred.  here, wear this thousand dollar beacon, and you'll prevent being sucked into a 747 engine and bringing down an airliner full of hundreds of babies, you just don't know you need it now, what...are you going to wait until an accident happens?

Actually my Mercedes has these features and saved me from crashing my family into a Bike which just popped out around a corner, the car itself automatically came to a complete stop without me pressing the brake. Its called Pre-Safe and Active Braking.

I am not sure why there is this argument, In Plain and Simple English to Everyone, This is a feature that is Sold with the drone and should work as intended - No compromise. I did not get a discount on my drone because this feature works when it wants to work, I paid full price and demand it works as it should. There are many Pilots here and other Forums complaining about this feature not working, we paid for it and we want it. There is no other explanation for it.
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 4-26 13:20

Actually my Mercedes has these features and saved me from crashing my family into a Bike which just popped out around a corner, the car itself automatically came to a complete stop without me pressing the brake. Its called Pre-Safe and Active Braking.

my only relevant comment on the topic is fine but dji please don't hold up the "real" fixes at the expense of airsense.  if the sw is ready to rollout except airsense is not yet fully repaired, roll it out please!   you may get back to airsense later.   obviously that's my personal opinion and i believe in prioritizing the bugs and sadly for me, airsense doesn't rise to that level.  when i paid for my m3, i paid very little to nothing for the airsense portion. if dji said "sorry, we need to start charging a fee for the new "airsense subscription" going forward..." then i would probably not sign up for it.  please faa, dont make airsense mandatory on drones when you won't mandate it on cars.  sorry that was more than one comment.  not agreeing or disagreeing with the aggrieved parties in this "argument."  bottom line is i don't believe dji said "too bad" in their response; however....
2022-4-26
Use props
DroneBeast
Banned

United States

2022-4-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneBeast Posted at 4-26 13:48
One would hope a billion dollar company could fix more than one bug in a product at the same time?

i really hope so too.  fingers crossed
2022-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules