Flying Indoors - on a soundstage - no GPS
2967 7 2022-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FuriousPugs
lvl.2
United States

I'm starting on a feature film and need to fly some DJI drones on a sound stage (indoors... no GPS)... I typically fly Inspire 2 in ATTI mode, so that should be fine with no satellites on this indoor stage, but I also want to fly DJI FPV, Mavic Air2s, Mavic Enterprise and potentially a Mavic 1 or 2. These will be used as on-camera drones so I need to know that they will behave and not be limited to 9 feet or something like the Mavic 3 does when it can't find satellites.I basically need to know if there will be hard limitations with no satellites or if they will enter ATTI mode and allow me to fly manually indoors.
If someone from DJI is looking at this thread, I greatly appreciate any info you have on each particular modal. I don't have access to an indoor space large enough to test everything before filming starts, so I'm trying to get some general knowledge on each model in advance.
Thank you!

2022-4-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there FuriousPugs. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. Just a friendly reminder that DJI do not recommend flying your DJI drones indoors as the environment indoors may have interference and caused an incident and also during low light condition as the vision sensors may not work properly. DJI suggest to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the drone and check if all the functions are normal. Thank you and fly safe always.

2022-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I basically need to know if there will be hard limitations with no satellites or if they will enter ATTI mode and allow me to fly manually indoors.
Most of those drones do not allow you to switch to atti mode like the Inspire does and most will have height restrictions if flown without GPS.
You can find the exact limits in the manual for each .. look in the Contents page for the Flight Environment Requirements section and it's usually on about the second page.

For example here's what it says for the Air 2S
  Height is restricted to 30 m when the GNSS signal is weak.
  Height is restricted to 5 m when the GNSS signal is weak and light conditions is not sufficient.

The others will be similar (depending on the range of their VPS sensors) but the FPV is different.

2022-4-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have flown my Mini, Mini 2. Ma2, M2p, and M3 indoors sans GPS. The key is to have a pattern on the floor that the drone can lock to. In any case it is a risk and unreliable.
2022-4-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

No idea what budget allowance is and size of film production; anyway there are GPS repeater devices available for indoor use of GPS.
www.gps-repeaters.com/
2022-4-28
Use props
FuriousPugs
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-27 19:04
I basically need to know if there will be hard limitations with no satellites or if they will enter ATTI mode and allow me to fly manually indoors.
Most of those drones do not allow you to switch to atti mode like the Inspire does and most will have height restrictions if flown without GPS.
You can find the exact limits in the manual for each .. look in the Contents page for the Flight Environment Requirements section and it's usually on about the second page.

Cheers... thanks for that
2022-4-28
Use props
FuriousPugs
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-28 08:24
No idea what budget allowance is and size of film production; anyway there are GPS repeater devices available for indoor use of GPS.
www.gps-repeaters.com/

Very interesting... I'll look into that
2022-4-28
Use props
FuriousPugs
lvl.2
United States

FuriousPugs Posted at 4-28 09:45
Very interesting... I'll look into that

In case anyone was following this, I have since flown Air2s and Mavic 3 indoors and they both fly GREAT ... no issues... very stable
2022-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules