Battery storage and usage
849 6 2022-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BByt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57100 ft
United States

Hello, new to group and new drone user.  I have the Air 2s and have only flew it about 3 times so far.  I bought a DJI refurbished Air 2S with the Fly More Bundle.  I have two questions please:
1.  How do you folks normally store the batteries?  In the charger?  Leave a charged battery in the drone?
2.  I've only been doing light flying, mostly in Cini mode until I get more experience.  I've played with the built in shots as well.  I am only getting about 12-15 minutes on my battery before it says something like "low battery, returning to home in 10 seconds".  Is that all I should be expecting?  I thought I'd be getting closer to 25-30 minutes.

Thank you.
2022-4-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I store mine at around 50% charge and at least every month give them a little boost of the charger as you dont want them to get empty in storage.    If you over charge them they will auto discharge themselves after a few days.
2022-4-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do similar to what DAFlys says in Post 2.  I have a hard case so I don't leave batteries in the charging hub and never in the drone.  I'm averaging 21 minutes flying time per battery.  
2022-4-30
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I left the default setting of 30% warning of low battery and 10% where it will land. This is on an old 2017 Mavic Pro. At 25% (allowing for landing etc after warning), the flight time is about 16 minutes. 23 mins is the official time for a new battery when flown very gently and down to 0%. The batteries are still returning the 16 to 17 minutes at 30% like new, all these years later. Do note though, If your battery has been stored or self discharges and is left for several weeks, the next couple of flights may have a shorter flight time. This gets back to normal when charging and flying again regularly with a day or so between flights. I have also discovered, nearly to the cost of my drone, that long storage and ageing batteries can suddenly discharge in flight after 30%. Do not rely on the time left indicator with stored or old batteries because the time left is based on battery voltage, not power left. An ageing battery may well fully charge and like mine, hold up well until the last 30% or so. After that, the power drops very rapidly. The minutes left may only be a small fraction and count down like seconds.My advice to you would be to circle low and watch the battery time left and %. Write the figures down and relate to the way you number or identify the battery. I marked each with a number so they are used to a similar extent. Don't go down past 10%, EVER. After you have done this test, you can time your flights safely knowing the true overall flight capability of that battery.

2022-5-1
Use props
Gunstar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 472123 ft
United States

I always take my batteries out of my drone once I'm done flying.  
2022-5-6
Use props
HighlandFoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 655171 ft
United States

There's some really great information in this thread. BByt, thanks for posting the question.
I always store my batteries out of the drone, between 30-60% charge.

My batteries are all numbered, and I note which battery is used for each flight. I record the launch and landing battery charge, and the flight duration. For my Phantom 4, I note the battery charge manually. For my Mini 2 and Mavic 3 I pull the information from the DJI Fly app. (For both apps, you can find flight information on your Profile, click the 'More' button under your profile name.) My flight log is an Excel spreadsheet, and it divides the flight duration by the % battery charge used. This gives me an arbitrary figure of merit that I use to compare battery performance. Since each drone has its own detailed flight log, I'm comparing battery performance separately for each drone.

This lets me track the number of flights, flight duration, and relative performance for each battery. I've noticed that I consistently get better performance from a fully charged battery. As AlansDronePics noted, battery performance drops off as the battery discharges so the last 20% of battery life won't get you as far as the first 20% (all other factors, like wind, being equal).

Hope this is helpful.
2022-8-9
Use props
Sanyin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49734 ft
United States

Hi, BByt

A few things. It is very good that you_ started flying in the slowest mode if you are a beginner like me. I flew indoors in my flat, and thanks God it was on C mode when you are a bit clumsy in the beginning, but in C, even a large input on the RC translates into a slow one on the Drone in the air this spared me a few crashes inside even though I have the 2-year refreshment plan. You should try and get it. If not too late.

As for the batteries, you should expect more -I have the smallest but probably the best for the beginners, the MINI SE I am getting anywhere between 23 when hovering all the time or driving super fast is S mode to 27 min when flying around with no wind or a light one.minutes out of each battery when flying easy, in S mode, less, but nowhere this short are you mentioning you should check that. Contact DJI center ASAP, but I think you said you bought refurbished-guarantee applies? Check it this is way too short

I keep one batt in the drone and the other 2 in the hub for almost one and a half hours flying-I have an oasis-like one square mile area in the mountain but on a dry lake placed the possible flooding water from the 1035 meters high mountain. So it is a great place to go, and after I bought it, it rained or was super windy until three days ago when I took it out.

This SE behaves like a charm. I sent it 110 meters up, then rotated yaw 360 degrees for the sunrise, and I did the same thing after work to film the sunset in the mountain, I have to climb it at 250 to have super pics; great that this is a mountain so zero air traffic.

And I caught the DJI Virus already looking to and something more powerful, but no rush am going out now to film. Now I get there by a car on a McAdam road and I am alone on this clearance 750 meters from the woods in any direction when in centre (you ll see soon lol)

Going to 250- will let you know how it went-zero winds super calm day-be back in a few hours with the video I hope

See you

2022-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules