New Mini 3 Pro RC versus an iPad Mini?
5277 14 2022-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Many people seem excited about the new RC with built-in screen for the Mini 3 Pro.  I'm not feeling the excitement, and am wondering what I'm missing.

If/when I get a Mini 3 Pro, I have a (current model) iPad Mini (6th generation) that I'm planning to use with the standard RC.  The iPad Mini has a much bigger screen than the new RC's built-in screen.  I mostly use my drone when traveling, and when I travel, I have my iPad Mini along anyway.  The way I look a it, the bigger, more expensive new RC with the built-in screen is just more weight and bulk to carry along.  If I need to slim down my bag of drone electronics for an outing, I can use my phone. If I want a bigger screen experience, I can use my iPad Mini.  And since I already have the basic RC unit for my Mini 2, I'm thinking I can save some money (spend it on more batteries) by just using the RC I have.

Am I missing some advantage that I would gain by having the new RC with it's built-in screen?

2022-4-30
Use props
NewToy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

No one knows much of anything about the new RC for the mini 3 pro yet ,as in how bright the screen is going to be.
2022-4-30
Use props
NewToy
lvl.4
United States

NewToy Posted at 4-30 15:53
No one knows much of anything about the new RC for the mini 3 pro yet ,as in how bright the screen is going to be.

I am seriously considering the mini 3 pro,but will wait for the reviews to come in first.
The RC with built in screen does nothing for me as I have a nice Tripltek tablet that I
would use with the standard controller.The same one I fly my air 2 with.
2022-4-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When i fly my P4P its pretty much always with the Tab S2 9.7" when i fly the Mini 2 , its always with my Note 20 Ultra 5g, and to be honest, i am quite happy with that, even though i still carry the Tab with me every blooming time and every time i use the phone without fail, its prob there as a subconscious backup. What I'm getting at is this, i really have no need of a screened remote except for one minor detail, my now useless DJI googles and that's if the new screened remote has the output like the other remotes. I think DJI knew exactly what they were doing when they didn't add HDMI out on the remote but did on the screened...
2022-4-30
Use props
NewToy
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-30 19:16
When i fly my P4P its pretty much always with the Tab S2 9.7" when i fly the Mini 2 , its always with my Note 20 Ultra 5g, and to be honest, i am quite happy with that, even though i still carry the Tab with me every blooming time and every time i use the phone without fail, its prob there as a subconscious backup. What I'm getting at is this, i really have no need of a screened remote except for one minor detail, my now useless DJI googles and that's if the new screened remote has the output like the other remotes. I think DJI knew exactly what they were doing when they didn't add HDMI out on the remote but did on the screened...

I have to give  DJI credit for offering the RC with built in screen,to make a nice looking package
with the Mini 3 pro.This is the controller with screen that should have been standard issue with
the mavic 3 when it was released.
2022-4-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Two things,  ease of use,   its must nicer to just power on the smart controller and go,  the other is the price,   the leaked extra cost of this controller is a fraction of the RC Pro cost.
2022-5-1
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For me I think I"d go for it. I've never been a fan of using my phone, I find it just a bit more fiddly when trying to fly and get set up and away fast.
I used to have the CrystalSky and it was fabulous BUT the issue was the app never was updates as quickly as the iPhone app - so it was always lacking features but the fact it would just mount and do one thing - was perfect for me.

I've always fancied the new controllers  - but the BIGGEST issue I'd have is how often DJI updates the firmware in the screens / the Fly app to be in line with the iPhone app.

2022-5-1
Use props
smbishop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

For me in Texas, the hot weather and the dimming of the iPad and iPhone screens are a major issue.  Also, my gen 8 iPad doesn't have gps so I can't use some of the features in the Litchi and Maven apps.  I am interested in the controller for those reasons.  
2022-5-1
Use props
NewToy
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 00:52
Two things,  ease of use,   its must nicer to just power on the smart controller and go,  the other is the price,   the leaked extra cost of this controller is a fraction of the RC Pro cost.

I would be in favor of giving it a good try.The one thing that concerns me ,well actually it is two
things.#1 is screen brightness,and for me the biggie,how much internal memory or storage
space will there be ,to handle upgrades.My current Tripltek tablet I use has tons of memory
and storage,and that part will never be a concern to me.
2022-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NewToy Posted at 5-1 09:31
I would be in favor of giving it a good try.The one thing that concerns me ,well actually it is two
things.#1 is screen brightness,and for me the biggie,how much internal memory or storage
space will there be ,to handle upgrades.My current Tripltek tablet I use has tons of memory

Well I have a 256gb sd card in mine. As for upgrades we do t know if it will support anything else in the future. At the price it’s selling for here I doubt it as it would destroy the rc pro sales.  
2022-5-1
Use props
NewToy
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 09:57
Well I have a 256gb sd card in mine. As for upgrades we do t know if it will support anything else in the future. At the price it’s selling for here I doubt it as it would destroy the rc pro sales.

It will be interesting to see what it has in it.
2022-5-1
Use props
Mavic Merrick
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6558399 ft
United States

I just like how everyone waits to see how a new model or update does in the wild… if everyone waits and doesn’t have the balls to upgrade or update  than we won’t know how it does in the wild.  That is why I am always ready to update or upgrade (more so update)
2022-5-2
Use props
Tomek_Lazar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546558 ft
Poland

I am wondering if this RC will work with my Mavic 3?
2022-5-6
Use props
Para9111
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40479 ft
Canada

You are so correct.I will take my iPad 12.9” display vs rc bulky display I already own a sunshade for it the sunshades for rc look bad an after thought barely keep light out.
2023-1-30
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 629482 ft
United States

Para9111 Posted at 1-30 11:25
You are so correct.I will take my iPad 12.9” display vs rc bulky display I already own a sunshade for it the sunshades for rc look bad an after thought barely keep light out.

For sure! I have a Galaxy Tab S7 FE (12.4" display). You just can't beat that big screen experience. For me, I drew up and 3D printed a sunshade specifically for it, though honestly, unless the sun is beating down on me, the screen is plenty bright outside without it.
2023-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules