Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mapping hidden WW2 bunkers
855 12 2022-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

For anyone who likes peeking at Hi-Res photos of German WW2 bunkers and trenches as a map, this might interest you.The link is because the file size is very large.

Click for Hi-Res map/photo
There are bunkers on the cliff edge that appear as small round holes where guns were fixed. Below are large concrete bunkers. You can see how difficult such things are to spot at just 400 feet. At that height, any plane would be practically flying down the gun barrel.

There are recently cleared areas that show in good detail what has been dug out. Yes, dug out! The British Government ordered the trenches to be backfilled and bunkers sealed at the end of the war. Alderney have just realised what a tourist draw these installations are, so now some poor chap has to hand dig a lot of the infill to open it up. A digger has been used on the surface, but the trenches are too delicate and well hidden to put a digger bucket into them.
You will also notice intriguing disturbances to the adjacent landscape which hint at the unexposed trenches and bunkers, yet to be opened back up. Generally you can't see this from the ground.
The Survey is not complete yet because of work still to be done.
The historian in charge of the work will use the map to plot the defences for his books that are sold all over the world.
Also of interest is the fact the airport is next to this site and mapping had to be fitted in between landing flights, that today passed overhead.
Yes, ATC were informed and an unscheduled flight came in just as I landed.
Everything went well with 4 mph wind along the cliffs, a particularly gusty location. Beats me how they can land a plane in strong cross winds. Actually, the wheels have come off a few times, that and the occasional curious goat on the runway.

2022-5-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

?Clicking the link above just takes me back to the Forum Homepage?
2022-5-1
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Blériot53 Posted at 5-1 09:09
?Clicking the link above just takes me back to the Forum Homepage?

My sincere apologies. The link has now been corrected.
Thank you for pointing it out.
2022-5-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-1 09:15

No worries
I'll take another look
2022-5-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-1 09:15

That works
Have you considered doing any 360 degree panos ?
2022-5-1
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

For a general view, a panoramic would be the preferred approach. In this case, the result is a map so features can be accurately traced and a clean drawing created for publishing in a book.
The large ground area involved means that a small manhole sized feature won't show up on a pano which is effectively low res by comparison with a tiled composite.
As an aside, I have produced a number of tiled hi res composite of the small town (more a village, actually)  where i live. Other drone users may like to know how fascinating  people find townscape shots of their home town.
I mention it as a revenue stream for those who can do this.
I have a large dining room table top showing the town and it's like a magnet for visitors.
2022-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For completeness you should probably photoshop the car out of it.  
2022-5-1
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

The white car is my Honda Advance.
Joke
If I photoshoped it out, I would have to walk home. Ha ha
2022-5-1
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Jersey

For some reason, the link results in a poor quality image on my phone but is perfect on my laptop. It does take about 10 seconds to fully show the detail.
I apologise for the disappointment if you can only see a low grade image.
Can't figure out the reason.
2022-5-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-1 09:32
For a general view, a panoramic would be the preferred approach. In this case, the result is a map so features can be accurately traced and a clean drawing created for publishing in a book.
The large ground area involved means that a small manhole sized feature won't show up on a pano which is effectively low res by comparison with a tiled composite.
As an aside, I have produced a number of tiled hi res composite of the small town (more a village, actually)  where i live. Other drone users may like to know how fascinating  people find townscape shots of their home town.

I bet it's a great talking point for visitors.
2022-5-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice look back at the past.    What a great project to document.  
2022-5-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very cool work!
2022-5-5
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here is a reduced res page of the interim presentation of the area drawn as a diagram with supporting images of the bunkers.
Please bear in mind that all these structures were completely buried immediately after the war and have been excavated, mainly by hand by volunteers.  It is remarkable how new they look after all this time.
There are lots of adjacent areas to be uncovered yet.
It is nice to know that a drone can play a small but important part in revealing history. As you might imagine, to produce an accurate map using normal land surveyors tools would be very time consuming. The drone saved weeks of work.
20220508_100114.jpg
2022-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules