DJI FPV Crashed Into Water
2310 5 2022-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MANT15
New
Flight distance : 62448 ft
United States

Sorry if this is a redundant post but i've searched and only found posts about other drones (Mavics, airs, etc.) and their subsequent experience with a water crash. I was practicing in Sport mode and doing some overwater passes along a stream until i found a bridge. I decided to try flying under which was a success, however when i got to the other side and went to ascend, i hit a cable or telephone wire of some sort which sent it crashing into the bridge and into the water. LUCKILY when it hit the bridge the battery got knocked out and i lost visuals. The drone and battery landed about 5 feet apart in the water, I found the drone within 5 minutes but not the battery which leads me to my first set of questions...

Are the DJI FPV Intelligent Batteries built to survive being submerged in water? (For about 24 hours at time of writing)

Is it worth going back out to the stream to look for the battery?

Upon my initial inspection of the drone i noticed the propellers were bent beyond repair, it was missing a light cover on the right rear arm, a small gap in the casing on the same arm and some scuffs. I immediately took it apart and gently dried as much of the interior workings/circuitry. I then wrapped it in paper towels and placed it inside a big burlap sack of basmati rice for 12 hours. I took some more paper towels and inserted the corners into the Micro SD slot, USB-C slot, and any other cracks/crevices i could find. After i was sure i didn't see any signs of moisture, or condensation in sensors/camera i put it back together. To my amazement it started right up and flew without any issues! Now to my final questions.

Where can i find a replacement light cover?

What can i do about that casing seperation? Will it compromise it's water resistance if it starts to rain while im flying?

Thanks for the feedback!

light cover.png
Casing Seperation.jpg
FPV Cam.png
2022-5-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry to know about the crash. We recommend that you start a case through the link below and send the drone in for further diagnosis and repair. If there is a doubt about the accident, data analysis can also be applied as long as the drone is within the warranty period. http://www.dji.com/support
2022-5-6
Use props
MANT15
New
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-6 19:55
Hi there, we are sorry to know about the crash. We recommend that you start a case through the link below and send the drone in for further diagnosis and repair. If there is a doubt about the accident, data analysis can also be applied as long as the drone is within the warranty period. http://www.dji.com/support

Thanks Mindy! I don’t think it’s necessary to send back yet i flew it a bit inside today (it’s been raining all day ☹️) and it seems to be working fine, plus I will be traveling in 5 days and I definitely want to bring it with me and get some good footage. I’ve only had it for about a week so I’m guessing it’s still under warranty So If there’s any issues flying while we’re there I’ll reach out to DJI when we get home.
2022-5-6
Use props
MANT15
New
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-6 19:55

Thanks Mindy! I don’t think it’s necessary to send back yet i flew it a bit inside today (it’s been raining all day ☹️) and it seems to be working fine, plus I will be traveling in 5 days and I definitely want to bring it with me and get some good footage. I’ve only had it for about a week so I’m guessing it’s still under warranty So If there’s any issues flying while we’re there I’ll reach out to DJI when we get home.
2022-5-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MANT15 Posted at 5-6 20:06
Thanks Mindy! I don’t think it’s necessary to send back yet i flew it a bit inside today (it’s been raining all day ☹️) and it seems to be working fine, plus I will be traveling in 5 days and I definitely want to bring it with me and get some good footage. I’ve only had it for about a week so I’m guessing it’s still under warranty So If there’s any issues flying while we’re there I’ll reach out to DJI when we get home.

Out of flight safety consideration, we recommend that you send it back for diagnosis in case of any potential risk. But if you don't want to send it back, we will also respect your choice. Please also pay attention to flight safety. Wish you a happy journey.
2022-5-6
Use props
djiuser_j0MxnwEKA4WT
New

United States

Mant15 was you ever able to retrieve your battery and if so did it still work properly? I had a similar incident today, but in my case the drone never actually hit anything aside from the water. I was flying near a very long river bank near my property and I was close to a underpass and I decided to try and go under it
2023-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules