Focus Motor too weak to use for Zoom ring
1286 3 2022-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
evasabzacami
lvl.1
Russia

Hi everyone.
Recently bought RSC2 Combo. This is my first gymbal. I'm using it with Sony A7iv and A6500, with Sigma 24-70 Art and Sony E 70-350. Right away I registered the gymbal, updated firmware and tested everything including the focus motor. I planned to use the focus motor with the zoom ring. On the first try everything worked fine, although the tests were short.

But the next time i used the focus motor it seemed to loose its torque. It barely can extend the barrel for a centimeter and cannot move it back. The only way to make it work is by either helping it with a hand or using gravity by pointing the camera down/up. The motor itself gets quite hot. Sometimes the motor starts blinking with a red light, and it gets resolved by restarting the gymbal.

I've tried setting start/end points, as well as deleting them - it doesn't help. Automatic calibration also doesn't work since it cannot move the lens. The camera is properly fixed with the help of lens support - it doesn't get twisted. I even bought a smallrig cage for A6500 to see if it helps - but it doesn't.

I know the lens is large and heavy at 820g, but is shouldn't be a problem as I've seen many youtube videos where the focus motor handled similar sized lenses. I tried it with a lighter Sony E 70-350G - but the same happens. At the same time both lenses work fine if I use the motor on their focus rings.

I contacted DJI's Support yesterday and while I wait for their response I'll be grateful if someone comes with any ideas how to fix this.

I really need that zoom function.

Thanks, Ats

2022-5-9
Use props
evasabzacami
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

https://youtube.com/shorts/yoLxe6rlXTM?feature=share
2022-5-9
Use props
evasabzacami
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

The issue is resolved. Amazon sent me a replacement gimbal and now everything works perfect.

Many thanks for DJI support for helping with testing and replacement.
2022-5-28
Use props
JoannaFotograf
New
Poland

I have the same problem with the Ronin SC 2 Combo. The focus motor is too weak for the Sony 24-70 f / 2.8 GM zoom ring. Jams and heats up, lack of fluidity.
2022-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules