Huge stabilization problems
4147 27 2022-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mierri
lvl.2
Italy

My DJI Action 2 exhibits huge stabilization problems (with both RS and HB), even in broad daylight. I am attaching a short video excerpt recorded in full daylight with excellent lighting conditions, the Action 2 was firmly attached to its magnetic bust support.

Set to "Standard Field", 25FPS, Auto Shutter speed, ISO 100-1600.

This is just an example, in many other clips (all recorded in broad daylight with excellent lighting) I have the same "flickering" problem, practically at every step, which makes it impossible to use the clips.

Any advice on this?
Thanks!
2022-5-9
Use props
Isaac RC
lvl.4

Spain

"Ultra Wide" field of view setting is no good for large vibrations, have you tried with native "Wide" FOV?
2022-5-9
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

Isaac RC Posted at 5-9 03:55
"Ultra Wide" field of view setting is no good for large vibrations, have you tried with native "Wide" FOV?

Hi Isaac, I used "Standard field".

I tried Standard, Wide and Ultra Wide, same problems.
2022-5-9
Use props
Isaac RC
lvl.4

Spain

Mmm that's really bad then, fair to say I haven't test it walking but to discard other factors I would recommend testing these if that solves the problem:
-try increasing the max. ISO to 12800, you shouldn't need it but in my opinion DJI A2 ISO performs relatively quite well nevertheless
-if you are using an ND filter probably is the cause, as of now DJI A2 has not a setting to limit the minimum shutter speed so the two previous factors (low ISO/ ND filter) may cause the camera to lower the shutter speed to a point that starts causing motion blur and digital stabilisation then looks weird; someone should make a feature request for a minimum shutter speed limiter option.
-the magnetic joints have some tiny rotational movement that may be susceptible to fast vibrations, specially if using the two modules, or simply a non-solid mount, try using a cage or something to ensure the camera elements have not any small movement.

Hope it helps
2022-5-9
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

Isaac RC Posted at 5-9 05:13
Mmm that's really bad then, fair to say I haven't test it walking but to discard other factors I would recommend testing these if that solves the problem:
-try increasing the max. ISO to 12800, you shouldn't need it but in my opinion DJI A2 ISO performs relatively quite well nevertheless
-if you are using an ND filter probably is the cause, as of now DJI A2 has not a setting to limit the minimum shutter speed so the two previous factors (low ISO/ ND filter) may cause the camera to lower the shutter speed to a point that starts causing motion blur and digital stabilisation then looks weird; someone should make a feature request for a minimum shutter speed limiter option.

Hey Isaac, thanks for the advice!

The recordings I made are with the single module and I did not use ND filters.

Yes, a function to limit the minimum shutter speed would be really essential.

I can try to use a chest mount to see if the vibrations decrease, but it's a really annoying thing, also because Action 2 is comfortable due to its small size and magnetic feature.

If not even this test responds positively to my needs, I will consider whether to return Action 2 and switch to GoPro and gg.
2022-5-9
Use props
Isaac RC
lvl.4

Spain

You're welcome, I remember complaining myself to GoPro about the same issue and it was much more worse when walking in daylight beneath a forest but then launched "GoPro Labs" (it's a software that has to be installed in the camera) with the minimum shutter speed option and it solved it.
I think an action cam handheld should work fine but perhaps is simply the low ISO that's causing it, nevertheless thanks for posting it I want to check it out myself if there's stabilisation flaws walking handheld.
2022-5-9
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

Isaac RC Posted at 5-9 08:02
You're welcome, I remember complaining myself to GoPro about the same issue and it was much more worse when walking in daylight beneath a forest but then launched "GoPro Labs" (it's a software that has to be installed in the camera) with the minimum shutter speed option and it solved it.
I think an action cam handheld should work fine but perhaps is simply the low ISO that's causing it, nevertheless thanks for posting it I want to check it out myself if there's stabilisation flaws walking handheld.

Hi Isaac, I did some tests today.

I'll update you as it might be interesting.

Test 1
25fps and 30fps - walking handheld.
ISO 100-1600 - Shutter Speed: Auto
Standard FOV - Stabilization: RS and HB

Perfect. Really no stabilization problems. Flawless.

Test 2
Same settings of test 1
The only difference: Action 2 connected to the bust through its magnetic "necklace" (both in 1 module and 2 module versions).

A disaster. Not at every step but almost (especially when entering SLIGHTLY shaded areas), the stabilization fails and creates an annoying effect, like the one I show in the video at the beginning of this thread.

Conclusions:
Action 2 has many advantages but one huge flaw, for casual walking or pov walking it is absolutely not good.

It would have to be tested with a chest mount, but at this point you lose the sense and comfort of such a small and light device.

I hope this information will be useful to DJI (an update is really needed that allows Action 2 not to drop below a certain shutter speed) and to guys who are interested in using this device for walking or running POV.

2022-5-9
Use props
Isaac RC
lvl.4

Spain

I second that Please DJI add a minimum shutter speed setting with a software update !!
2022-5-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

When hand-held, your hand works like a gimbal to some degree, decoupling body movement from the camera.  The camera of course is moving into forward space but it is substantially prevented from rapid side to side movement, and to some degree up and down movement depending on your technique.  Once attached to the body, depending on your gait and your clothing it may well lurch from side to side as you walk, thus adding an extra layer of complexity to the task of stabilisation.  However, I do agree that having an option to maximise shutter speed could help.  I believe running at higher fps can help also as that provides more data for stabilisation.
2022-5-9
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-9 14:17
When hand-held, your hand works like a gimbal to some degree, decoupling body movement from the camera.  The camera of course is moving into forward space but it is substantially prevented from rapid side to side movement, and to some degree up and down movement depending on your technique.  Once attached to the body, depending on your gait and your clothing it may well lurch from side to side as you walk, thus adding an extra layer of complexity to the task of stabilisation.  However, I do agree that having an option to maximise shutter speed could help.  I believe running at higher fps can help also as that provides more data for stabilisation.

Hey fansfe, yes, that's it.

However, I think that the magnetic system could have been done better, to limit the oscillations and consequently allow the stabilization to work decently, because as it is it is almost completely useless.

I also agree with you that increasing the FPS (even if not everyone loves the "soap opera" effect, especially for someone like me who works on YouTube) helps stabilization, but it is much easier to run into the other big problem of Action 2: overheating... and in the single module we only have 22GB available.
2022-5-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

knowless Posted at 5-9 10:06
Hi Isaac, I did some tests today.

I'll update you as it might be interesting.

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these infomration. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention and evaluation. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-5-9
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

Hi, mierri
The  blur u meet is shutter blur. (All the camera is the same.)
if u limit iso range, the shutter has to be longer to get correct exposure, which will cause shutter blur. esepecially the moment u foot falls on the ground when running.

for chest mount, if you try set Manual exposure, shutter speed 1/500, iso auto, there will be no blur in the video.
for head mount, set shutter speed 1/200,iso auto there will be no noticeable blur in the video. (neck eliminates alot vibration )
2022-5-9
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
China

Hi, mierri
if u limit iso range, the shutter has to be longer to get correct exposure, which will cause shutter blur. esepecially the moment u foot falls on the ground when running.

for chest mount, if you try set Manual exposure, shutter speed 1/500, iso auto, there will be no blur in the video.
for head mount, set shutter speed 1/200,iso auto there will be no noticeable blur in the video. (neck eliminates alot vibration )

2022-5-9
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

DJI-ytao Posted at 5-9 23:26
Hi, mierri
Hi, I also tried with 1/500 but the problem still arises from time to time, even in broad daylight.

Moreover, if I have to record a POV in 1/500 and ISO Auto I risk overexposing my footage unnecessarily (think in a forest or under a bridge in a city) and make them unusable.

This is a palliative, not a solution.

A feature to limit minimum Shutter Speed in Auto Shutter Speed mode (as GoPro has already done with GoPro Labs) is absolutely necessary.
2022-5-10
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

Hi, mierri

Today I tested my DJI Action 2 again.

As advised by ytao and the other guys (thanks!) I set 1/500 and ISO 100-12800.

Perfect stabilization in 95% of situations. Fully satisfied.

However, I still think that a feature to lock the shutter speed at 1/500 and be able to keep it automatically would be really useful for everyone.

On the other hand I discovered a bug related to the audio: sometimes the audio "skips", as if it stopped recording for a few seconds and then everything goes back to normal (it rarely happens but in about 2 hours of recording it happened twice).
DJI please check this bug as it could be a problem for vloggers.

Come on, just a few more updates and we have a real jewel in our hands.
2022-5-10
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

knowless Posted at 5-10 12:34
Today I tested my DJI Action 2 again.

As advised by ytao and the other guys (thanks!) I set 1/500 and ISO 100-12800.

Glad to hear it helps.

would u plz post a video to demonstrate the audio thing u meet?
thx.
2022-5-11
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

DJI-ytao Posted at 5-11 22:37
Glad to hear it helps.

would u plz post a video to demonstrate the audio thing u meet?

You've a new personal message w video demonstration.
Thanks
2022-5-12
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

It's really a DISASTER the Steady and RockSteady. I have every type of problems, but the most annoying it's the SEVERE glitchs in 360 FPV rolls. Problem still not solved, without ND filter this time, all in AUTO 4K60, and I have all types of glitches in rolls. I'm still waiting a new firmware to use it, but after two months waiting in the bookshelf to receive a solution, there's no answers. Only new products to make money. I will never trust again in DJI, I'm tired of being a beta tester with all products. I really hate this camera... a complete waste of money.
2022-5-15
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Cobani Posted at 5-15 18:57
It's really a DISASTER the Steady and RockSteady. I have every type of problems, but the most annoying it's the SEVERE glitchs in 360 FPV rolls. Problem still not solved, without ND filter this time, all in AUTO 4K60, and I have all types of glitches in rolls. I'm still waiting a new firmware to use it, but after two months waiting in the bookshelf to receive a solution, there's no answers. Only new products to make money. I will never trust again in DJI, I'm tired of being a beta tester with all products. I really hate this camera... a complete waste of money.

Hi Cobani
For the FPV roll case you meet, I recommend use 4k120fps in current firmware to solve.

I will get you informed once the FPV orientated firmware is ready.
2022-5-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks odd for sure.
2022-5-23
Use props
djiuser_XhlGMWuywF3b
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi, mierri
if u limit iso range, the shutter has to be longer to get correct exposure, which will cause shutter blur. esepecially the moment u foot falls on the ground when running.

Shutter Speed 1/200 or 1/500, you must set ISO terrible high and get worst footage, very noise. Of course, it's cannot use. Please give a useful recomment, stop amateur
2022-10-10
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

GoPro has TOP NOTCH stabilization with 1/120 with HyperSmooth. Action 2 needs a super fast SS to achieve "acceptable" result.
GoPro has Reelsteady using gyro data. FLAWLESS footage. Action 2 does not give us gyro data, so no stabilization in post.

I'm angry with this buy. Good IQ, excellent weight ratio for FPV, and UNUSABLE in serious work because the poor stabilization in camera and the impossibility to make a good IS in post without gyro data.

It's FRUSTRATING.
2022-10-10
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

DJI-ytao Posted at 5-15 23:51
Hi Cobani
For the FPV roll case you meet, I recommend use 4k120fps in current firmware to solve.

Hi, DJI-ytao, could you update us please on this? I think we are all like A2 very much, but at least we should get exported gyro data, to fix stabilization issues in post-production. (Or probably a much better onboard stabilisation like limiting the shutter speed, similar to ISO: semi-auto.) For you all these mods would be just a few hour, for us would be a great impact.

Please give us some news.

Thank you!
2022-10-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I suspect it would be a a major firmware re-write... unless they'd already done it for the Action 3.
2022-10-11
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I think having an option to prioritize EIS when Auto-Exposure is pushing the shutter speed longer is not very hard to implement:

if (prioritize_eis && next_shutter > eis_longest_shutter_requirement) next_shutter = eis_longest_shutter_requirement
2022-10-12
Use props
djiuser_XhlGMWuywF3b
lvl.1

Vietnam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyeUAAPawlA&t=5s

problem solving ok
2022-10-14
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

For my problem this is not a solve: I wish to record footage when I'm out on street and going into a building. Setting manually would make either indoor or outdoor look good, but not both: shorter shutter speeds (like 1/200s) would stabilize these shakes indoor, while it will cause overexposed outdoor shots. On the other way around, setting the shutter manually to outdoor (1/500 or even smaller) would cause dark inside shots.

Not mentioning that leaving the expo settings on manual would cause very bad experience if you happen to not check it before shooting on a trip, and you'll realize days later in post editing that all your footage is trash.

Therefore I have already contacted DJI to commit A3's "EIS Priority in Low light" to Action2, and get some blurry feedbacks they will forward this request to the technical team. I'm still waiting for their reply which should arrive no later than next few days, and I hope we can finally have this feature as this is the only future proof solution to not lose any good moments during your shot.
2022-10-15
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-11 14:22
I suspect it would be a a major firmware re-write... unless they'd already done it for the Action 3.

They actually have it done for A3: "EIS Priority in Low Light".
2022-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules