How many Nits?
2368 10 2022-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Among all the new Mini 3 Pro reviews, reports, and self-promoting-clickbait now being shared, one item I have not (yet) seen addressed: I'd like to know exactly how bright is the screen on the new controller?  How much brighter than, say, my (or your) iPhone or iPad?

Preferably using some kind of objective, metric, measured value -- not just "look at how bright it makes my face look at night!" in a YouTube video.

I'm still wrestling with the question of: Do I use my existing iPad Mini (I already have it, it's pretty bright, and has a much bigger screen, though it's admittedly a bit more awkward to set up and walk around with)....or do I get the new controller (spending extra $$$, for a "cleaner" installation without any extra wires or delicate connections, but a significantly smaller screen than my iPad Mini)...how bright is that screen?  How usable in direct bright sunlight?

So which wins out: the bigger screen on my iPad Mini, or the smaller but brighter screen on the new RC?  Depends on how much brighter that new RC screen is.

Anybody know?  Got nits?

2022-5-10
Use props
Xerxes90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 639977 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey mate, one Youtuber mentioned that is 700 Nits. Forgot who that was but he compared the brightness to the RC Pro.
2022-5-10
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
United States

Thanks, Xerxes.

For reference, the specs on the iPad Mini 6 screen says 500 Nits (I've also seen 520 Nits mentioned, but it looks like 500 is the book value from Apple).  Hmmm.
2022-5-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

600 or 700 is not a lot; not at all.
2022-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Apple screens dim with any signs of heat and the other controllers have active fan cooling inside to avoid this.  
2022-5-10
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-10 09:16
Apple screens dim with any signs of heat and the other controllers have active fan cooling inside to avoid this.

Yes, I have heard that.  While I'm not so sure about the "any signs of heat" part, and I do not doubt that it can happen, but I think it's gotta be pretty hot out before that happens.  Personally, I have owned an iPad Mini 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6, and have used them all extensively for all kinds of things ever since they were released many years ago (including as a primary navigation instrument in my airplane, an "always-on" device that's fairly critical).  I have never, ever seen an iPad screen dim or shutdown or otherwise react to excessive heat.  Even without cooling fans, IME they are quite reliable.

I *have* seen iPhones  "overheat" and refuse to continue working.  I was in Thailand recently, my dear spouse was using her iPhone 13 and taking lots of pictures one day.  Then she showed me her phone and asked me to fix it.  A message saying "iPhone is too hot and must shut down for a while" popped up and was a surprise.  Of course, it was about 95°F/35°C at the time, and she had been taking a LOT of photos for a while, and my own bodily systems were ready to shut down for a cool-down, too.  My "fix" for her phone was for us all to just get out of the sun for a few minutes and have a cool drink.  That took care of it, for her phone and for me.   

Yes, it would be inconvenient to have that happen while using your device as a controller.  (The RTH button on the controller would come in handy right about then.)  I've gotta wonder just how often that really happens.

2022-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burstmode Posted at 5-10 11:03
Yes, I have heard that.  While I'm not so sure about the "any signs of heat" part, and I do not doubt that it can happen, but I think it's gotta be pretty hot out before that happens.  Personally, I have owned an iPad Mini 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6, and have used them all extensively for all kinds of things ever since they were released many years ago (including as a primary navigation instrument in my airplane, an "always-on" device that's fairly critical).  I have never, ever seen an iPad screen dim or shutdown or otherwise react to excessive heat.  Even without cooling fans, IME they are quite reliable.

I *have* seen iPhones  "overheat" and refuse to continue working.  I was in Thailand recently, my dear spouse was using her iPhone 13 and taking lots of pictures one day.  Then she showed me her phone and asked me to fix it.  A message saying "iPhone is too hot and must shut down for a while" popped up and was a surprise.  Of course, it was about 95°F/35°C at the time, and she had been taking a LOT of photos for a while, and my own bodily systems were ready to shut down for a cool-down, too.  My "fix" for her phone was for us all to just get out of the sun for a few minutes and have a cool drink.  That took care of it, for her phone and for me.   

My iPad Pro dims pretty quick with the heat, but not so you can’t make out the screen.  But my iPhone 13 pro max can dim so much you cannot see it.    With the Smart controller the experience is very consistent.   Except after a bit the fan kicks in and you can hear it.  

Personally I can’t comment about the mini, my last mini I gave to my dad and I’ve never needed to replace it.
2022-5-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't been able to confirm exact amount  of Nits for Mini 3 Pro RC.  However, I have the DJI RC Pro controller and it has over 1000 Nits.  I've used it in the intense Florida sunshine and have had no problems seeing the screen or any overheating issues.  I was luck to get it in a bundled with an Air 2S and saved over $700 from buying it outright that way.
2022-5-10
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-10 11:44
I haven't been able to confirm exact amount  of Nits for Mini 3 Pro RC.  However, I have the DJI RC Pro controller and it has over 1000 Nits.  I've used it in the intense Florida sunshine and have had no problems seeing the screen or any overheating issues.  I was luck to get it in a bundled with an Air 2S and saved over $700 from buying it outright that way.

The Mini 3 Pro RC is 700 nits
2022-5-12
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is 700 nits
2022-5-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 5-12 21:59
The Mini 3 Pro RC is 700 nits

Thanks Bob.  That's a bit of a drop off from the RC Pro.  Just saw in another post on the forum where the DJI RC controller will be sold as a separate item.  Could be some pilots that bought the Mini 3 with only the standard controller will upgrade later.  
2022-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules