Bound drone and using a different DJI account, some questions.
4065 12 2022-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For experimentation purposes I recently bound and unbound my Mini 2s, plural.
It then occurred to me to see what happens when using a different DJI account so I created a second account, different user name and email address, so there should be no connection between my 'proper account' (account #1) and the second account (account #2). I again bound the drones to account #1.

It took a number of attempts to get sensible results and in the end I moved the flight logs off the phone to storage and deleted the control app (ver1.5.4) I also manually removed, via a computer, the folder Computer\xyz\Phone\DJI\dji.go.v5 from the phone and then I reinstalled 1.5.4 from an apk.

I have logged into account #2 and connected and switched everything on and looking in device management of profile I see that the currently connected drone is bound to another account (account #1) but the drone flies quite happily.

Why?

I thought this binding was meant to prevent the drone from being flown by another user.

2022-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to use a different remote controller to trigger the limit of 8 flights.    The real point is to limit a fly away being used again not a theft of our gear sadly.   
2022-5-10
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

there is nothing that can be done to prevent the drone from being flown by another user (i.e. there is no drone lojack)...misconception. for the record, i am totally against such an idea.  nothing good can come from such schemes.
2022-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-10 12:19
there is nothing that can be done to prevent the drone from being flown by another user (i.e. there is no drone lojack)...misconception. for the record, i am totally against such an idea.  nothing good can come from such schemes.

Out of interest why would you like a criminal to benefit from stealing your stuff.   I was robbed in Italy and lost over £10’000 of electrical goods.  More than half were useless due to the apple activation lock but my drones, portable drives etc could still be used or sold.   And to make it worse it turned out the criminal had installed a gps tracker in our hire car and had duplicate keys made so the could pounce whenever they wanted.  
2022-5-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-10 12:18
You need to use a different remote controller to trigger the limit of 8 flights.    The real point is to limit a fly away being used again not a theft of our gear sadly.

Good point, but different controller just used and I had the same result, the app reported that the drone was bound to account#1 but the drone flew. I saw no sign of a number of flight limitation. I will have another look.
I would need to check my records to see if that controller has ever been connected to that drone.

EDIT
Nope, no restriction on the number of permissible flights visible.

2022-5-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-10 12:19

I see a great point in it, rendering stolen drones unflyable.
2022-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-10 12:35
Good point, but different controller just used and I had the same result, the app reported that the drone was bound to account#1 but the drone flew. I saw no sign of a number of flight limitation. I will have another look.
I would need to check my records to see if that controller has ever been connected to that drone.

Needs to be over 8 flights if my memory serves me.
There's been a few complaints on here where people swap between phone and smart controller and get locked out after a number of flights.  
2022-5-10
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-10 12:28
Out of interest why would you like a criminal to benefit from stealing your stuff.   I was robbed in Italy and lost over £10’000 of electrical goods.  More than half were useless due to the apple activation lock but my drones, portable drives etc could still be used or sold.   And to make it worse it turned out the criminal had installed a gps tracker in our hire car and had duplicate keys made so the could pounce whenever they wanted.

sorry i had a long long post and i deleted it because it went long.  so i am retyping everything, sorry for your loss and no offense but a drone is just a flying camera and should be treated the same way (ie. no special treatment).

the long and short is i believe any sort of remote locking combined with registration and/or remote ID means government confiscation and your property can be seized at any time for any reason....and it will....and i can go on and on but i wont because this could get weird for some.  it's the same reason gun owners do not want a remote locking/unlocking or fingerprint recognition or anything on their firearms.  it's a bad bad idea and nothing good can come from it (i.e. it will not help you get your stolen equipment back and it will not help to lessen or prevent theft in the first place).  optional for those who want it, not a problem.  unless my equipment has private, sensitive, personal data on it which cannot fall into the wrong hands (like a mobile phone or a computer), it doesn't need any mandatory remote security method which could fall outside my control.   if that's the case, you don't own it.   remote wiping is the answer for that.
2022-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-10 15:36
sorry i had a long long post and i deleted it because it went long.  so i am retyping everything, sorry for your loss and no offense but a drone is just a flying camera and should be treated the same way (ie. no special treatment).

the long and short is i believe any sort of remote locking combined with registration and/or remote ID means government confiscation and your property can be seized at any time for any reason....and it will....and i can go on and on but i wont because this could get weird for some.  it's the same reason gun owners do not want a remote locking/unlocking or fingerprint recognition or anything on their firearms.  it's a bad bad idea and nothing good can come from it (i.e. it will not help you get your stolen equipment back and it will not help to lessen or prevent theft in the first place).  optional for those who want it, not a problem.  unless my equipment has private, sensitive, personal data on it which cannot fall into the wrong hands (like a mobile phone or a computer), it doesn't need any mandatory remote security method which could fall outside my control.   if that's the case, you don't own it.   remote wiping is the answer for that.

Personally I like the idea that the criminals dont get a win from me if the devices they steal and un useable,  also this type of tech has proved to reduce theft dramatically.  For example the tech in the Tesla is responsible for them being 90% less at risk of being stolen.  
2022-5-10
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-10 23:21
Personally I like the idea that the criminals dont get a win from me if the devices they steal and un useable,  also this type of tech has proved to reduce theft dramatically.  For example the tech in the Tesla is responsible for them being 90% less at risk of being stolen.

i get it and im not against technology.  for some items like a tesla it just makes sense.  especially if it is done correctly.
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-11 05:35
i get it and im not against technology.  for some items like a tesla it just makes sense.  especially if it is done correctly.

I think you’ve hit the nail in the head there.  It needs to be done properly.  
2022-5-11
Use props
Guillotina
New

Argentina

Hey @Sean-bumble-bee, could you please let me know how to unbound my Mini2 ? I'm searching but not able to do it yet.
2022-5-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Providing the App you are using is logged into the bound account * then when you go to profile and "device management" the device management page offers the option.
If you are not logged into the correct account you can not, as far as I am aware, undo the binding.

*I have two phones that I use with the mini 2, the above applies to the phone that was actually used to do the binding. From memory the second phone didn't initial realise that the drone was bound, I think I had to switch the phone's connections to the www on and have the phone connected to the drone etc. before the 2nd phone saw the binding.
2022-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules