[Mini 3] Dropped from 4s to 2s shutter speed?
7059 24 2022-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi folks, am i reading this right, has the Mini 3 dropped down to 2 seconds max shutter speed?
  • Electronic Shutter: 2-1/8000 s

2022-5-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bashy. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The new DJI Mini 3 Pro has a Shutter Speed of  2-1/8000 s ( Electronic Shutter ). Thank you.
2022-5-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United States

So i am right, the longest is 2 seconds? that's halved the 4 seconds on the Mini 2 and a step backwards
2022-5-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-10 22:21
So i am right, the longest is 2 seconds? that's halved the 4 seconds on the Mini 2 and a step backwards

Seems like there may be a few issues.  Bussty is already expressing misgivings about the lens in a new thread.
2022-5-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-10 22:21
So i am right, the longest is 2 seconds? that's halved the 4 seconds on the Mini 2 and a step backwards

Its because they increased the aperture to f1.7 so more light now comes in,   But ND filters will fix that.
2022-5-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-10 23:54
Its because they increased the aperture to f1.7 so more light now comes in,   But ND filters will fix that.

I see issues though, i.e. fireworks etc
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-11 01:30
I see issues though, i.e. fireworks etc

If you want a longer exposure you just add an ND filter.   The trick will be picking the right one.    I don’t think I’ve ever gone over 2 seconds on regular fireworks but you might on something like a catherine wheel I guess.  
2022-5-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 01:37
If you want a longer exposure you just add an ND filter.   The trick will be picking the right one.    I don’t think I’ve ever gone over 2 seconds on regular fireworks but you might on something like a catherine wheel I guess.
Ideally it should be around 5 seconds for fireworks, that's the ballpark, adding an ND filter defeats the whole object of letting in more light, certainly for fireworks and in my experience anyway, of which is quite limited....  The idea of using ND for fireworks is so you can use a longer shutter speed, that doesn't apply in the mini 3nor mini 2 to be fair, shutter speeds arent long enough
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-11 01:40
Ideally it should be around 5 seconds for fireworks, that's the ballpark, adding an ND filter defeats the whole object of letting in more light, certainly for fireworks and in my experience anyway, of which is quite limited....  The idea of using ND for fireworks is so you can use a longer shutter speed, that doesn't apply in the mini 3nor mini 2 to be fair, shutter speeds arent long enough

I just had a look through some of my firework shots taken with a canon DSLR I have nothing over 2 seconds which aren’t totally over exposed.    Many are firework dependant but they tend to be 1, 1.3 or 1.6 seconds.    Maybe different camera manage this differently, I’d also bumped the iso a fair bit too.   
2022-5-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 01:57
I just had a look through some of my firework shots taken with a canon DSLR I have nothing over 2 seconds which aren’t totally over exposed.    Many are firework dependant but they tend to be 1, 1.3 or 1.6 seconds.    Maybe different camera manage this differently, I’d also bumped the iso a fair bit too.

Ah, I should have mentioned that I prefer the trails, so a longer shutter is needed as seen here
https://thegoodlifephotographyblog.com/fireworks-photography-with-a-neutral-density-filter/

EDIT: Not my work, just and example!
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-11 02:00
Ah, I should have mentioned that I prefer the trails so longer shutter is needed as see here
https://thegoodlifephotographyblog.com/fireworks-photography-with-a-neutral-density-filter/

They are some really lovely shots.  
2022-5-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-11 02:00
Ah, I should have mentioned that I prefer the trails so longer shutter is needed as see here

Those are some really fantastic fireworks shots Bashy.  
2022-5-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 02:38
They are some really lovely shots.

Sure .... here's a picture of Bashy (Sarah to his friends)

Just like you don't create all those videos that you post and post and keep posting, Bashy didn't take those photos.
But you'd have to have an IQ above room temperature to realise that.
S3.jpg
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-11 04:39
Sure .... here's a picture of Bashy (Sarah to his friends)

Just like you don't create all those videos that you post and post and keep posting, Bashy didn't take those photos.

Id had gathered that.
2022-5-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 04:41
Id had gathered that.

Thanks for sharing
2022-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 01:57

You would usually need more than 2 seconds, all these shot between 6 and 17 seconds. Most fire works would take at least 2 seconds to get up in the air. All taken with XT3 Aperture 5.6 to F13

2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-11 05:12
You would usually need more than 2 seconds, all these shot between 6 and 17 seconds. Most fire works would take at least 2 seconds to get up in the air. All taken with XT3 Aperture 5.6 to F13
[view_image]

I went and checked some I shot with my Canon 5d and at f10 they were all under 2 seconds.  
2022-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 05:17
I went and checked some I shot with my Canon 5d and at f10 they were all under 2 seconds.

Im not saying you didn’t, but if you shoot fireworks probably better shooting longer exposure . Depending on how big they are if you time one from start to finish you can get an idea of how long. I would always press the shutter when I here firework going up and give enough time for it to fire and spread. Its a bit of a guessing game , in order for 2 seconds to work you would have to wait until the firework is already popped. But Ive never seen them shot so quickly…
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-11 05:25
Im not saying you didn’t, but if you shoot fireworks probably better shooting longer exposure . Depending on how big they are if you time one from start to finish you can get an idea of how long. I would always press the shutter when I here firework going up and give enough time for it to fire and spread. Its a bit of a guessing game , in order for 2 seconds to work you would have to wait until the firework is already popped. But Ive never seen them shot so quickly…

Well I did havea lot of failures.  You might be right about using a longer exposure.  
2022-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 5-11 05:28
Well I did havea lot of failures.  You might be right about using a longer exposure.

Fireworks are really about experimenting , it also can be hectic because you’re constantly trying to improve on your last best shot. Good fun though..
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-11 05:40
Fireworks are really about experimenting , it also can be hectic because you’re constantly trying to improve on your last best shot. Good fun though..

lol,  And Im aways late getting there.  Usually due to parking.
2022-5-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry if you thought that link was anything to do with me, most certainly not me as Labroides pointed out, it was merely an example of longer exposures is all. In my opinion, it's gonna be much harder now if impossible to get anything like those shots, the mini 2's 4 seconds was just on the edge of acceptable. might be best just shoot 4k and hit it in post lol
2022-5-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-11 07:12
Sorry if you thought that link was anything to do with me, most certainly not me as Labroides pointed out, it was merely an example of longer exposures is all. In my opinion, it's gonna be much harder now if impossible to get anything like those shots, the mini 2's 4 seconds was just on the edge of acceptable. might be best just shoot 4k and hit it in post lol

No I realised that,   they actually are some food of thought for different ways to photograph fireworks.   It did get me thinking whether image stacking from the Mini3 might be an option to get different results.

PS That member seems to have a real problem with me and I get that crazy all the time.
2022-5-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would need to have a decent FPS for stacking though, wouldnt it? i don't know much about stacking, never tried it.

I wouldn't worry too much...
2022-5-11
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1975351 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to sort of steer the thread away from the 4 to 2 second subject, but has anyone experienced the following. When shooting photos, I seem to get the full range of shutter speeds in Auto, but when I select pro, ie manual shutter selection, I get 1/2 to 1/6.25....what the heck is that about? I thought it was just a glitch, or maybe something Id not noticed before, but its really bugging me now that Ive spotted it. For example, took the drone out just before sunset tonight, just for a bit of idle flying. It was beginning to get dark and I wanted to use Pro (manual) to reflect this, but the fastest shutter speed I could select, was 1/6.25 and that was at ISO 100. Even upping the ISO, it remained at 1/6.25 and just overexposed every image to the point of almost being a white screen. I just dont understand why I cant get faster shutter speeds than 1/6 of a second in Pro mode.
Any comment from DJI on this?
2022-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules