Solved - Dji RC controller, only charges up to 3 leds ?
12127 31 2022-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neodraig
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145020 ft
France

Hi everyone,

I received my Mini 3 Pro yesterday, and I apparently I can't fully charge the RC controller (the one with the screen) as it only charges up to 3 leds (I left it charging overnight).
The problem is I can't activate the drone yet (apparently we have to wait for the 17th) and as the activation process always fails (at the moment), I don't have access to the settings and battery information of the remote, except for those leds.

This morning when I unplugged the remote, the leds were still blinking successively (the 3 first ones). I know that the 4th led works as it blinks when I turn on/off the screen.

Also, once the remote is on, the 3rd led won't stay solid very long and while start blinking after a few minutes. Should the led blinks when the remote is on, it's a bit distracting?

I looked up and found this on the forums ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-221614-1-1.html ):
No, it was only 3 of them. But, after install the updates the app dji fly requested this problem was solved and now I have the four lights on constant after charging. thank you!

The problem is at the moment I can't update the remote.

I will also try to empty the battery and charge it again, I don't know if it would change anything.

For those who have already received their Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller, do you have the same problem ?

Should I return it ?

2022-5-13
Use props
Mendahin
New

Belgium

Same problem here. And server error 500 to activate controller… nice
2022-5-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably requires an update, so you will have to wait till next week to see if it resolves it, perhaps a tad premature to return it.
2022-5-13
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

@Mendahin
"Glad" to hear that I'm not alone. It would interesting to see if the others who already have their Mini 3 have the same problem.
Let's hope it'll be fixed when we'll update our controllers, I'd rather prefer not to have to go through the hassle of returning it and have to wait for a new one.

@Bashy
For the return, the Dji Mini 3 Pro + RC is still in stock where I bought it, so I could get a relatively fast exchange. But I'm not alone with that problem has Mendahin has it too, so let's hope it's just a firmware problem.
2022-5-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If its anything like the RC Pro, it needs to be activated first before it can reach a full charge.
2022-5-13
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

Suren Posted at 5-13 23:36
If its anything like the RC Pro, it needs to be activated first before it can reach a full charge.

Thanks a lot for the information @Suren, let's just wait then
2022-5-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Please kindly note that this situation is normal before activation. Please rest assured.
2022-5-14
Use props
djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1851703 ft
Australia

I just hope that the RC PRO will sustain enough power life with the bright screen and all the functions that it will last 3 full batteries. I seen a  you tube video from Stewart in Scotland and found that the RC PRO needed recharge after using standard batteries..
2022-5-14
Use props
djiuser_dads69yAW7HP
New

Romania

DJI Thor Posted at 5-14 00:32
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Please kindly note that this situation is normal before activation. Please rest assured.

can you tell us when the activation will be available?
thank you!
2022-5-14
Use props
fans37756913
lvl.3
France

djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux Posted at 5-14 04:08
I just hope that the RC PRO will sustain enough power life with the bright screen and all the functions that it will last 3 full batteries. I seen a  you tube video from Stewart in Scotland and found that the RC PRO needed recharge after using standard batteries..

I think that I saw somewhere that it would last 4 hours. I might have misunderstood though.
2022-5-14
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

fans37756913 Posted at 5-14 04:45
I think that I saw somewhere that it would last 4 hours. I might have misunderstood though.

Some said it will last for 3 and some said it will last for 8 drone batteries.
Maybe it is related to the activation issue.
2022-5-14
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

What are the spec of the USB-C charger you're using. You need a 30W, If you use something old (like an 18W) it might not have enough power to get the RC to full charge
2022-5-14
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

@Wiz33
It is about 22W but it charged the drone battery just fine and I left the remote charging the all night.
Even it is not a 30W charger, it should work, albeit taking more time.
Anyway I ordered a new charger this afternoon that should arrive Wednesday, and Tuesday is the 17th so I should be able to unlock my Mini 3 and update the remote which should fix the problem (I hope).
2022-5-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It could be a 10w, it would just take longer than the standard 18w or 30w, or my 60w ;)
2022-5-14
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

I don't have any 10W , they all at least 18W.
2022-5-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djiuser_dads69yAW7HP Posted at 5-14 04:26
can you tell us when the activation will be available?
thank you!

Please be patient until May 17th for successful activation. Apologize for the inconvenience.
2022-5-15
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 5-14 13:07
What are the spec of the USB-C charger you're using. You need a 30W, If you use something old (like an 18W) it might not have enough power to get the RC to full charge

That does not make sense at all. Charge is based on Voltage and current. A 30W PSU can deliver (usually) same voltage as an 18W USB-C power supply. And during the "last" parts of a charge - the current is a lot lower than "max"

So while you might start at 30W (V * A = W) when you reach 75-80% charge your actually current (A) is going DOWN - voltage stay the same - so actual output wattage is LESS the more "full" the battery is.

So an 18W USB-C power supply has no problems charging the same devices as a 30W - as long as the correct voltages are reached. It just takes longer.
2022-5-16
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

kazcow Posted at 5-16 07:28
That does not make sense at all. Charge is based on Voltage and current. A 30W PSU can deliver (usually) same voltage as an 18W USB-C power supply. And during the "last" parts of a charge - the current is a lot lower than "max"

So while you might start at 30W (V * A = W) when you reach 75-80% charge your actually current (A) is going DOWN - voltage stay the same - so actual output wattage is LESS the more "full" the battery is.

Rechargable batteries build up resistance as it reach capacity, that's why you always need to use a charger with slightly more amperage to get it to full charge.
2022-5-16
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

So I was finally able to update the remote (and the drone), and now I see that the remote is charging up to the 4th led, it's all good
2022-5-16
Use props
djiuser_WseUB3kNBOrM
New

United Kingdom

neodraig Posted at 5-16 13:16
So I was finally able to update the remote (and the drone), and now I see that the remote is charging up to the 4th led, it's all good

Hi.  Are you able to advise on the RC update version number, as I’ve updated RC and the Mini 3 and still only three lights endlessly blinking away. ta
2022-6-1
Use props
neodraig
lvl.3
France

djiuser_WseUB3kNBOrM Posted at 6-1 11:37
Hi.  Are you able to advise on the RC update version number, as I’ve updated RC and the Mini 3 and still only three lights endlessly blinking away. ta

The RC firmware says 01.00.200

But I noticed that using my USB-C (PD) chargers, the remote will blink strangely fast.
I prefer using my USB-A chargers to charge it.
2022-6-1
Use props
djiuser_WseUB3kNBOrM
New

United Kingdom

neodraig Posted at 6-1 13:46
The RC firmware says 01.00.200

But I noticed that using my USB-C (PD) chargers, the remote will blink strangely fast.

Many thanks.  In the user user guide it says that the lights will flash faster with a more powerful charger.
2022-6-2
Use props
djiuser_WseUB3kNBOrM
New

United Kingdom

djiuser_WseUB3kNBOrM Posted at 6-2 11:54
Many thanks.  In the user user guide it says that the lights will flash faster with a more powerful charger.

And as if by magic, I now have 4 lights.  Might just take a few recharging attempts to wake it up??
2022-6-2
Use props
EdwvLVXnmeVZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213 ft
Canada

Had the same issue on first charge.
Actually put it on a power meter to check.
The 3 lights would flash as if charging, but there was no actual current drawn.

Flew it with the 3 light charge state.
Came home and charged again.  
This time it charged to full 4 lights.

I think it's all good.
2022-6-3
Use props
ReMiA
lvl.1

Netherlands

Can i use my 65W HP laptop charger to charge the Mini 3 Pro and DJI Smart RC ?
Or would this give risk of damaging the drone ...

Specifications of the HP charger:
Output Voltage and Current:   5V - 3A  /  9V - 3A  /  12V - 5A  /  15V - 4.33A  /  20V - 3.25A
Maximum Power:   65W

The manual states a maximum voltage of 12V for the drone and 5V for the RC
2022-6-3
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReMiA Posted at 6-3 23:30
Can i use my 65W HP laptop charger to charge the Mini 3 Pro and DJI Smart RC ?
Or would this give risk of damaging the drone ...

If DJI follows USB-C charge specs you can use any USB-C charger without damaging anything.

When you connect an USB-C device to a charger - the device will "ask" the charger what voltages and currents the charger supports. Then the device will request the one that matches its own capabilities best - from that list of "options"

Some chargers can't deliver the higher voltage/amp ranges - and that shows up as the LED's on the DJI device "moving slowly" - but if the charger supports the higher rates the LED's will move "quickly"

You could charge your DJI device with an Apple 140w USB-C charger without any issues. So do not worry if the charger is 18 watt or 140 watt - both will get the job done safely if DJI follows the USB-C charge standards.

Some of the Early/old DJI products did NOT follow USB-C charge standards correctly but I think the last 3 years of products have been ok.  
2022-6-5
Use props
Timmmy
lvl.1

United States

I can also confirm that this same thing happened to me. RC only charged to 60% with three LEDs. After doing the initital firmware update and rebooting both devices I got the four LEDs instead of three after completing a full charge.
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_ZlCgI5amcPJS
New

United States

I just unboxed my new mini 3 pro and I was having the same issue. I left my controller charging all night with a 65w charger but it never moved past 3 rapid lights flashing. I was using my Bose headphone usb-c to usb-c cable since the DJI cable was charging my batteries.  I swapped the cable and within 4-5 seconds it stopped flashing and went off as if fully charged.  I only get 3 lights but assume what others have said and it will be fixed for the fourth light when I update the firmware to the latest version.
2022-7-17
Use props
djiuser_pw6c8ZOzr30s
New

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2022-5-14 00:32

Ive owned my mini 3pro since August and it just started doing this.  It was activated 10 months ago. Any advice??
2023-6-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_pw6c8ZOzr30s Posted at 6-12 18:56
Ive owned my mini 3pro since August and it just started doing this.  It was activated 10 months ago. Any advice??

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. May we confirm what charger you're using? And have you tried using a different charger? You may also try refreshing the firmware of the RC through the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) then test again. Please keep us updated.
2023-6-14
Use props
djiuser_pw6c8ZOzr30s
New

United States

Hello,,I'm back, and no it's only charging to TWO led lights. I'm nusing the came cord that came with it from DJI, which is connected to the 3 battery 2 way charging hub. I'm getting concerned here.
2023-10-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_pw6c8ZOzr30s Posted at 10-6 08:31
Hello,,I'm back, and no it's only charging to TWO led lights. I'm nusing the came cord that came with it from DJI, which is connected to the 3 battery 2 way charging hub. I'm getting concerned here.

Hello there. I hope you're doing well today. Are you able to turn your remote controller on? Thank you.
2023-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules