A2s with RC Pro: losing connection in air repeatedly
3761 15 2022-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

My new drone and controller Air 2s + RC Pro are plagued with connection problems. I have satellites locked, camera video in color, and fly. In the air, the RC connection to aircraft is lost. This happens repeatedly. If you have gone through this, please let me know the root of the problem if known, and how it was resolved. Being new here, it appears that i previously posted to the wrong forum, my apologies. Kindly allow me to share that key information again, as follows:

I am new here after buying a DJI combo that included the RC Pro controller with Air 2s Flymore package. Due to repeated loss of RC connection (fail), I am ready to return it to the store and likely face 15% restocking fee. Before I box it up, I thought that I would ask the experts here for a solution in case I missed something. When I fly, the video will turn black and white and I cannot see the camera view any more. Sometimes, the Air 2s will not return to me, and so I activate RTH. In terms of distance, it can lose the RC connection hovering in front of me. Antennas are oriented properly. Batteries are fully charged. I have never flown further than 180 ft altitude and about 400 ft distance and doing that there have been some scarey moments.

After reading and learning more, let my anticipate some questions: 1) Was it interference from Wifi or other signals, did you try another location? Yes I tried it in my back yard and then today I went out into the country side and tried it there--it failed again. 2) Did you update firmware via DJY Fly app? Yes, I tried that first. 3) Did you update firmware via DJI Assistant for Consumer Drones for Air 2s? Yes I did that via the DJI USB Cable for both the Air 2s and the RC Pro controller. All show "current." 4) After experiencing the problem, did you try recalibrating compass and IMU? Yes, after having major disconnect problems, I calibrated both. Sometimes the IMU calibration would fail due to lost connection. 5) Did you try to re-connect the Air 2s with the RC Pro? Yes, I executed the reconnect (rebinding).

My concern, besides quality control, is that i will lose time and perhaps in the end be sent refurbished unit(s), which for me personally, after an outlay of $2K US, would be heartbreaking.

2022-5-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same combo and am not seeing any connectivity issues.  Might need to contact DJI Support and send in RC Pro for a warranty review.
2022-5-14
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-14 06:22
I have the same combo and am not seeing any connectivity issues.  Might need to contact DJI Support and send in RC Pro for a warranty review.

You are fortunate indeed. Now I must ponder the results of support and likely return. Is it true that sometimes new products like mine are replaced with the customer being sent a refurbished unit, rather than their recently-bought unit properly repaired and that same exact one returned? I for one would not feel any satisfaction in that, if it turned out to be a possibility.
2022-5-14
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

There have been a few others who have had this experience. From what I gather DJI has been able to remedy this by replacing something in the controller. Start a repair order in the support section on the DJI site, they should be able to take care of this for you.
I should add that i have the same combination, and the connection has always been rock solid.
2022-5-14
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

sduck Posted at 5-14 19:50
There have been a few others who have had this experience. From what I gather DJI has been able to remedy this by replacing something in the controller. Start a repair order in the support section on the DJI site, they should be able to take care of this for you.
I should add that i have the same combination, and the connection has always been rock solid.

Thank you.
2022-5-14
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

sduck Posted at 5-14 19:50
There have been a few others who have had this experience. From what I gather DJI has been able to remedy this by replacing something in the controller. Start a repair order in the support section on the DJI site, they should be able to take care of this for you.

SDuck, one of the moderators from DJI asked for me to send my log files. I anticipated this request and have a DropBox setup, and beforehand asked them for a DJI email as that is required to share the folder with the file within, but when they replied, all that was given was a link to the global service page. I do not see the place to email the log file. What to do?
2022-5-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Evangeline Posted at 5-14 20:38
SDuck, one of the moderators from DJI asked for me to send my log files. I anticipated this request and have a DropBox setup, and beforehand asked them for a DJI email as that is required to share the folder with the file within, but when they replied, all that was given was a link to the global service page. I do not see the place to email the log file. What to do?

Support@dji.com  
2022-5-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Evangeline Posted at 5-14 08:55
You are fortunate indeed. Now I must ponder the results of support and likely return. Is it true that sometimes new products like mine are replaced with the customer being sent a refurbished unit, rather than their recently-bought unit properly repaired and that same exact one returned? I for one would not feel any satisfaction in that, if it turned out to be a possibility.

I think that is common on drone repairs from what I've read and heard.  In another forum I saw where 2 pilots sent in their RC Pros and got them back repaired as the serial numbers still matched what they sent in.  
2022-5-15
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-15 04:32
I think that is common on drone repairs from what I've read and heard.  In another forum I saw where 2 pilots sent in their RC Pros and got them back repaired as the serial numbers still matched what they sent in.

Thanks again RDB. Which forum did you see that in? Mavic 3? I will search but please let me know.
2022-5-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Evangeline Posted at 5-15 05:21
Thanks again RDB. Which forum did you see that in? Mavic 3? I will search but please let me know.

It wasn't in the DJI Forum.  I saw it in Reddit and one other that the name escapes me at the moment.  Might have been the Mavic forums but don't hold me to it.
2022-5-15
Use props
djiuser_ZXwe7pt9nDdr
New
Flight distance : 36129 ft
South Africa

Evangeline Posted at 2022-5-14 08:55
You are fortunate indeed. Now I must ponder the results of support and likely return. Is it true that sometimes new products like mine are replaced with the customer being sent a refurbished unit, rather than their recently-bought unit properly repaired and that same exact one returned? I for one would not feel any satisfaction in that, if it turned out to be a possibility.

Good Evening.

Same product exactly the same problem.
2023-1-5
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

djiuser_ZXwe7pt9nDdr Posted at 1-5 11:51
Good Evening.

Same product exactly the same problem.

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem with the same products. I returned my for a refund and bought both a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom. They both work perfectly. There are lots of these proven, low-mileage alternatives on the local used market and they are a tremendous value. M2P has side sensors too. I now use an iPad with the basic (foolproof) controller.
2023-1-5
Use props
ReproRetro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635669 ft
Australia

My Air 2S work flawlessly with the RC Pro as long as I remmber to point the RC Pro in the general direction of the drone. And even then, I've never lost video, even when 3.5 Kilometres away
2023-1-6
Use props
The One Prophloe
lvl.1

United States

same set up same problem. Even if the drone is not too far just a couple hundred feet.
2023-2-27
Use props
Cameraman Steve
lvl.1
Flight distance : 555778 ft
United States

my Mavic air 2S loses RC connection just about every time I bring it up in the air firmware is updated. I’ve done everything Evangeline has done and I continue to lose connection. The drone is not reliable to fly. I am at a construction I’ve never had this issue before losing control of the RC. Seriously anybody have any solutions for this? Let us know please.
2023-7-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Cameraman Steve Posted at 7-14 07:45
my Mavic air 2S loses RC connection just about every time I bring it up in the air firmware is updated. I’ve done everything Evangeline has done and I continue to lose connection. The drone is not reliable to fly. I am at a construction I’ve never had this issue before losing control of the RC. Seriously anybody have any solutions for this? Let us know please.

Hello. Please refer to the best positions of the remote controller antenna below to ensure that the remote controller and aircraft are in the best positions.

This may also be the cause of interference. Common electromagnetic interference includes but is not limited to Wi-Fi hotspots, routers, Bluetooth devices, high-voltage power lines, high-voltage transmission stations, mobile phone base stations, television broadcasting towers, etc. If the environment has many devices, mutual interference will occur in some crowded locations which will seriously affect the image transmission distance. But if this has already been considered by trying to fly to a different location, it's better to send the drone to us for diagnosis. Please use the following link to get to our support page for submitting a repair request : https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/index. Thank you for understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules