Dji mini 3 pro crash with bus

2022-5-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

But seriously, the OA cannot detect a moving object so fast.
2022-5-14
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Already discussed here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=264874
2022-5-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, George. We appreciate you for sharing this video with us. We strongly recommend performing the said feature in an open space away from any moving objects to avoid issues. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-5-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Duplicate post. There's another thread showing this clip.
2022-5-14
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

Blériot53 Posted at 5-14 23:10
Duplicate post. There's another thread showing this clip.

relax ... said MySky
2022-5-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing,  it was good for a laugh.
2022-5-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

This shall forever be a thing!
2022-5-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch.  Appears with the Mini 3 Pro swinging out for a somewhat parallel tracking it simply didn't have enough time to avoid this collision.  Speed of drone and oncoming bus was too much to overcome.  
2022-5-15
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

So totally stupid and dangerous. It's like those people doing range test knowing the there is a decent chance they will lose the drone. None of us is stupid enough to use our drone this way.

Why do they do it? They're either given their drone by manufacturer or figure they would get enough views on social media to recover their cost. What they don't think is how it may affect other people. A lost drone can crash and Lipo batteries are prone to short and overheat on impact and may start a forest fire. Same with this video, without someone way ahead on the road to monitor oncoming traffic is just asking for trouble and if the drone impact the windshield, it may hurt the driver or cause him to lose control and cause an accident. This person should be charged with endangering other people.

I wish people will just refuse to click on any video like this on social media, this kind of behavior need to stop.
2022-5-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-16 16:30
So totally stupid and dangerous. It's like those people doing range test knowing the there is a decent chance they will lose the drone. None of us is stupid enough to use our drone this way.

Why do they do it? They're either given their drone by manufacturer or figure they would get enough views on social media to recover their cost. What they don't think is how it may affect other people. A lost drone can crash and Lipo batteries are prone to short and overheat on impact and may start a forest fire. Same with this video, without someone way ahead on the road to monitor oncoming traffic is just asking for trouble and if the drone impact the windshield, it may hurt the driver or cause him to lose control and cause an accident. This person should be charged with endangering other people.

he shouldn't be charged with endangering people, that's ridiculous.  nobody has every been hurt or killed by a drone and that didn't happen here, nobody was at risk.  the grave risk was all in your mind after watching a bunch of movies about killer drones and the entire public being at risk  from a 250g drone going 10 mph.  never mind idiots driving ton+ cars at high speeds that have hurt millions and killed thousands, those are no crimes but fly a stupid killer drone and let's jail the guy?  really, are you really from america?  how about leave your feeling out out of it.  the crime involves knowingly putting people at risk and/or intentionally putting others in harms way thru careless or reckless illegal activities.  learn the law.  
2022-5-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

anyway, i know this is a dji drone forum but even a skydio drone is not guaranteed to dodge oncoming moving vehicles.  i guess a lot of new dji drone flyers have seen the successful skydio videos and now all of a sudden, they believe dji has worked magic and their new drones are just as capable.  in fact, the skydio has a floor setting where the pilot can adjust the minimum height the drone will fly while ducking and dodging and flying various maneuvers.  the drone is going to be unpredictable and if you can keep it 8 feet off the ground, in most cases (nothing is perfect) you can help to prevent a collision.  however, a drone that you are flying that ends up in an accident is not a crime.  even if you are flying too wide, flying too fast for conditions, flying in a congested area....it's an accident; just like a car accident.  get your insurance together and follow the law and don't support any crazy talk about a silly crime or criminal activity (american is jail happy; everybody goes to jail).
2022-5-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-16 17:49
he shouldn't be charged with endangering people, that's ridiculous.  nobody has every been hurt or killed by a drone and that didn't happen here, nobody was at risk.  the grave risk was all in your mind after watching a bunch of movies about killer drones and the entire public being at risk  from a 250g drone going 10 mph.  never mind idiots driving ton+ cars at high speeds that have hurt millions and killed thousands, those are no crimes but fly a stupid killer drone and let's jail the guy?  really, are you really from america?  how about leave your feeling out out of it.  the crime involves knowingly putting people at risk and/or intentionally putting others in harms way thru careless or reckless illegal activities.  learn the law.

HI, if it was the UK it would have fallen under Article 241 of the Air Navigation Order (ANO) and that is

241.  A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.

So regardless of whether or not anyone and or property was hurt, a fine would have come his way for sure and retrospectively too. Yes, i know its in the US, i am just wondering if the FAA have anything similar, Part 107 peoples would be aware so perhaps one of those could help us out here? I say that because the general drone flying public here in the UK doesn't even know about the ANO or the Articles therein, they are so long-winded anyway, one look at the ANO PDF and it would be ignored, i certainly would lol but having done my A2 CofC gives me a little more knowledge than the every day rec/hobby fliers. So whilst you may not be aware of any such, there is a possibility that there actually is something similar in the FAA guidance?
2022-5-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gonna create a new reply as you may miss this, i have just found this under the most basic guidance from the FAA regarding UAV's

9. Do not operate your drone in a dangerous manner. For example:
a) Do not interfere with emergency response or law enforcement activities.
b) Do not fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

And i bet its certainly not limited to just those 2 as they are purely examples
2022-5-16
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've been flying RC aircraft for over 35 years. 1st rule everyone teaches you is safety. Your first responsibility is to be aware of your surrounding and flying out on a public road at that kind of speed without someone ahead of you watching for oncoming traffic is totally irresponsible. You don't need to cause physical damage to endanger someone. A moment of distraction or panic can cause an accident. grow up and be an adult!
2022-5-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's obvious to me. When the drone detects an object ahead of it , it normally stops. But an object coming toward it is not within it's capability. It would have to go into reverse. How many of us have seen that in any drone, especially at any significant speed?
2022-5-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-16 16:30

Why do they do it? They're either given their drone by manufacturer or figure they would get enough views on social media to recover their cost. What they don't think is how it may affect other people. A lost drone can crash and Lipo batteries are prone to short and overheat on impact and may start a forest fire. Same with this video, without someone way ahead on the road to monitor oncoming traffic is just asking for trouble and if the drone impact the windshield, it may hurt the driver or cause him to lose control and cause an accident. This person should be charged with endangering other people.

I was flying a kite a few weeks ago on a beach. Someone told me the same thing. Get real.
2022-5-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-16 19:16
Gonna create a new reply as you may miss this, i have just found this under the most basic guidance from the FAA regarding UAV's

9. Do not operate your drone in a dangerous manner. For example:

i saw nothing dangerous in that video.  don't be ridiculous.  no offense but come on, drone pilots have to be better than this.  you sound like the "drone police", looking for a way to go after drone pilots.  that's dangerous, that's careless, that's reckless!  how the hell is this dangerous when nobody has ever been hurt...ever?  does dangerous have a different meaning in your country?  or do you mean dangerous to somebody's feelings?

you do realize that the average person who stands with a drone pilot thru one or two batteries can easily claim he saw something "dangerous."  don't fall into that trap.  you want to know what's dangerous?  stand on a street corner of a busy highway intersection at rush hour and you'll see dangerous PLUS you'll have FACTS to back it up.  there is zero dangerous about flying a drone.  if someone gets hurt, maybe then think about calling it careless but it's still an accident.

are you going to call the faa over the thousands of youtube videos showing drones being flown dangerously?  give me a break; see this is making me angry.  
2022-5-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-16 20:07
I've been flying RC aircraft for over 35 years. 1st rule everyone teaches you is safety. Your first responsibility is to be aware of your surrounding and flying out on a public road at that kind of speed without someone ahead of you watching for oncoming traffic is totally irresponsible. You don't need to cause physical damage to endanger someone. A moment of distraction or panic can cause an accident. grow up and be an adult!

negative.  nothing illegal or distracting or unsafe about what i saw in that video.  yeah i know who's "responsible" but i won't support anything even close to criminal charges, no sir.
2022-5-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-16 20:20
i saw nothing dangerous in that video.  don't be ridiculous.  no offense but come on, drone pilots have to be better than this.  you sound like the "drone police", looking for a way to go after drone pilots.  that's dangerous, that's careless, that's reckless!  how the hell is this dangerous when nobody has ever been hurt...ever?  does dangerous have a different meaning in your country?  or do you mean dangerous to somebody's feelings?

you do realize that the average person who stands with a drone pilot thru one or two batteries can easily claim he saw something "dangerous."  don't fall into that trap.  you want to know what's dangerous?  stand on a street corner of a busy highway intersection at rush hour and you'll see dangerous PLUS you'll have FACTS to back it up.  there is zero dangerous about flying a drone.  if someone gets hurt, maybe then think about calling it careless but it's still an accident.

Seriously? someone has to be hurt for something to be dangerous?
I really do not care how i sound, I am just laying it all out there. How the governing bodies sees things versus how you see things are very different, that's 100% correct and you can buy that for your dollar and take it straight to the bank.

You really think that i am the sort of person to go calling the feds when i see sommat i don't like, well, then you've not read many of my posts that's for sure.

I think the flight was reckless, if it was in the UK it would have been fine worthy for sure, it put people and property in danger, therefore it was a dangerously, reckless flight, see 1st paragraph. This could have ended up with the bus driver swerving and hitting someone or another vehicle or someone's house, that's what is known as dangerous, what could have happened.

I am not going to go 10 rounds as to who is right and who is wrong here cause it will only end up in a fully blown out war. Youre guidelines says it right thee in #9, ours in the UK is a little more on point with article 249, but both are a catch-all for if you're ever taken to court, which you can take that to the bank too.

No I'm not drone police, no i will not report anyone, heck, i fracture the laws myself, so i would be one big hypocrite but I saw this thread going in the wrong direction and disregarding what the FAA guidelines/rules say, so i pointed them out, how you see and use them is up to you, but folks should really have the rules so they can also make their owned informed decision and how they play by them is then up to them.
2022-5-16
Use props
djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1851703 ft
Australia

The Saint Posted at 5-16 20:20
i saw nothing dangerous in that video.  don't be ridiculous.  no offense but come on, drone pilots have to be better than this.  you sound like the "drone police", looking for a way to go after drone pilots.  that's dangerous, that's careless, that's reckless!  how the hell is this dangerous when nobody has ever been hurt...ever?  does dangerous have a different meaning in your country?  or do you mean dangerous to somebody's feelings?

you do realize that the average person who stands with a drone pilot thru one or two batteries can easily claim he saw something "dangerous."  don't fall into that trap.  you want to know what's dangerous?  stand on a street corner of a busy highway intersection at rush hour and you'll see dangerous PLUS you'll have FACTS to back it up.  there is zero dangerous about flying a drone.  if someone gets hurt, maybe then think about calling it careless but it's still an accident.

What if it was a motorcycle instead of a bus ,im sure there would of been a different result. It was a accident nothing intended
That is why accident are called accident.ok he could of should of What ever no one was hurt. Just his drone. So everyone stop making it sound like he committed a crime.
2022-5-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux Posted at 5-17 03:25
What if it was a motorcycle instead of a bus ,im sure there would of been a different result. It was a accident nothing intended
That is why accident are called accident.ok he could of should of What ever no one was hurt. Just his drone. So everyone stop making it sound like he committed a crime.

No one is saying hes committed any crime, was perhaps negligent, perhaps  if the bus driver had seen it he may have swerved  to try to avoid it, he may have just hit it and stopped like he did when he heard sommat.. All i know is that if it was the UK, he would have been in trouble, as its not the UK and no harm no foul, carry on...
2022-5-17
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-16 20:07
I've been flying RC aircraft for over 35 years. 1st rule everyone teaches you is safety. Your first responsibility is to be aware of your surrounding and flying out on a public road at that kind of speed without someone ahead of you watching for oncoming traffic is totally irresponsible. You don't need to cause physical damage to endanger someone. A moment of distraction or panic can cause an accident. grow up and be an adult!

Well said! And this IS a violation in terms of FAA regulations. Enjoy flying responsibility whilst we can. Incidents like this are going to ruin it for the rest of us I'm afraid.
2022-5-17
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-16 20:18
I was flying a kite a few weeks ago on a beach. Someone told me the same thing. Get real.

There are range/endurance test and there are range/endurance test. Those that fly out and say this is the condition and range and I'm beginning to lose signal or battery is running low and I'm flying back to not lose the drone are fine but those that fly out and keep pushing further and further after they start losing signal or just to see how far they can push the battery and hope they can land it and track it to recover the drone are stupid and dangerous as no normal person will risk their drone that way. Yes, people can get over paranoid and there will always to those like that but to take un-necessary risk just to get views on social media is just so stupid. Also, does your kite have battery and electronics onboard that could cause a fire if it crash? It's people like him and videos like that that's endangering our freedom to fly drones.
2022-5-17
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-16 20:29
negative.  nothing illegal or distracting or unsafe about what i saw in that video.  yeah i know who's "responsible" but i won't support anything even close to criminal charges, no sir.

The fact that nobody got hurt means he's lucky. Does that mean that we should encourage this kind of behavior until someone is hurt? What happen if the bus driver panic and crashed? It's people like him and videos like that that's endangering our freedom to fly drones.
2022-5-17
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

That is why accident are called accident.ok he could of should of What ever no one was hurt. Just his drone. So everyone stop making it sound like he committed a crime.

They fact that he's flying a drone on a road with oncoming traffic without someone ahead as an lookout is endangering others. Does it really take someone getting hurt to show that it's something stupid and should not have been done? It's people like him and videos like that that's endangering our freedom to fly drones.
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-16 21:20
Seriously? someone has to be hurt for something to be dangerous?
I really do not care how i sound, I am just laying it all out there. How the governing bodies sees things versus how you see things are very different, that's 100% correct and you can buy that for your dollar and take it straight to the bank.

from a legal perspective, yes someone or something has to be able to likely get hurt, injured, or damaged for the actions to be labeled as dangerous which could lead to charges.

it's dangerous to swallow an entire slice of bread.  it could choke you and killed you in under 2 minutes.  swallowing a slice of bread is not dangerous.  it is not crime to swallow an entire slice of bread.

it's dangerous to toss the baseball in your front yard.  the ball could bounce off a glove, go into the street and smash a car window passing by, leading to a serious car accident.  tossing the baseball in the front yard is not dangerous.  it is not a crime to toss the baseball around in your front yard.

so to answer your question, yes i really do believe that my actions have to produce results plus there has to be some intent before my actions can be called dangerous and charged legally.  otherwise, in the literal sense, yes i'm a dangerous person.  it is unwise to attack me in public, it's unwise to try to break into my home, and it's unwise to jump into my car while i am behind the wheel.  i'm a super dangerous person under each of those circumstances.

drones are not dangerous!
flying [toy] drones is not a crime!
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

agreed, i ride a motorcycle.  everything that happens to me on the road, i act as if it's an accident waiting to happen.  i'm not one of those motorcyclist riding around thinking people are out to commit crimes against me.  but yes, i ride around feeling as if cars are dangerous and trying to kill me but never has it crossed my mind that someone should be charged unless their is gross negligence or extreme carelessness that rises to a certain level of intent.  i know people drive around with cellphones.  they don't see me and i have to dodge them occasionally.  with very few exceptions, there are no crimes until one of them hits me.  only then can i make a "claim."
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-17 03:49
No one is saying hes committed any crime, was perhaps negligent, perhaps  if the bus driver had seen it he may have swerved  to try to avoid it, he may have just hit it and stopped like he did when he heard sommat.. All i know is that if it was the UK, he would have been in trouble, as its not the UK and no harm no foul, carry on...

well, someone did mention a crime was committed.  if you are a bus driver and you swerve to miss a toy drone coming from your windshield or a bird coming at your windshield or a beer can in the middle of the road....and you lose control of that bus and it leaves the road, goes into a ditch, flips and totals the bus....the bus driver will be in a heap of trouble.  he'll probably get a ticket for failure to maintain control of the bus but i don't see any criminal charges for the bird, the drone pilot*, or the beer can.  we can sort out the damages in court.

*obviously a drone pilot who is intentionally or recklessly flying his drone into traffic trying to obstruct traffic, etc is culpable.
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 5-17 04:01
Well said! And this IS a violation in terms of FAA regulations. Enjoy flying responsibility whilst we can. Incidents like this are going to ruin it for the rest of us I'm afraid.

negative; there were no faa regulations violations in that video.
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-17 07:09
The fact that nobody got hurt means he's lucky. Does that mean that we should encourage this kind of behavior until someone is hurt? What happen if the bus driver panic and crashed? It's people like him and videos like that that's endangering our freedom to fly drones.

whatever.  ok, let's pass a law banning drone before something bad happens.
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-17 07:15
They fact that he's flying a drone on a road with oncoming traffic without someone ahead as an lookout is endangering others. Does it really take someone getting hurt to show that it's something stupid and should not have been done? It's people like him and videos like that that's endangering our freedom to fly drones.

i agree he should have been a bit more careful (he should have been more aware of the drone's limitations).  end of story.
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 5-17 07:06
There are range/endurance test and there are range/endurance test. Those that fly out and say this is the condition and range and I'm beginning to lose signal or battery is running low and I'm flying back to not lose the drone are fine but those that fly out and keep pushing further and further after they start losing signal or just to see how far they can push the battery and hope they can land it and track it to recover the drone are stupid and dangerous as no normal person will risk their drone that way. Yes, people can get over paranoid and there will always to those like that but to take un-necessary risk just to get views on social media is just so stupid. Also, does your kite have battery and electronics onboard that could cause a fire if it crash? It's people like him and videos like that that's endangering our freedom to fly drones.

electronics on board and lithium batteries that could cause a fire in the event of a crash....c'mon man.  lol

from 2012 - 2022:
number of drone crashes:  hundreds of thousands
number of injuries:  0
number of fatalities: 0
$ property damage:  $0.00
2022-5-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No one has ever been killed by a drone......... and you are in the US....... Think a little while about that statement perhaps
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-17 08:45
No one has ever been killed by a drone......... and you are in the US....... Think a little while about that statement perhaps

no one has been killed by a consumer drone.

military drones have different rules.  afaik, a military drone has never killed anyone in the u.s.

btw, i agree with the law which says non-military drones cannot be armed and that includes police forces.
2022-5-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-17 07:45
negative; there were no faa regulations violations in that video.

So it was ok then was it.................. He had no control over his drone, he was on a public highway, he was looking in the other direction. It was autonomous flight, Their was no spotter,  and it hit a bus.

See if you can suggest a word for doing that sort of thing.... Then posting it on You Tube
2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 5-17 08:00
electronics on board and lithium batteries that could cause a fire in the event of a crash....c'mon man.  lol

from 2012 - 2022:

To have no injuries is really good and that should be the standard. However there are literally 100’s of injuries that you can find on the Net and many are children…
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-17 08:47
So it was ok then was it.................. He had no control over his drone, he was on a public highway, he was looking in the other direction. It was autonomous flight, Their was no spotter,  and it hit a bus.

See if you can suggest a word for doing that sort of thing.... Then posting it on You Tube

i dont know if it is ok or not.

what i do know is it wasn't illegal and no law enforcement agency in any country should be reviewing this video in order to determine if sanctions are necessary; that absolutely ridiculous.

do the police look at tesla videos to scan autonomous driving reviews and then go out to track down drivers and issues fines and arrest telsa owners for potential "dangerous" driving and traffic violation and instance where the car was driven irresponsibly?  no.
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 08:55
To have no injuries is really good and that should be the standard. However there are literally 100’s of injuries that you can find on the Net and many are children…

agreed but for the purposes of this discussion, we have to be realistic.  nobody publishes stats that claim 29 million kids were struck and injured with hard baseballs....last month; so let's ban the hardball and make only softballs legal?  any one presented with that data would want to know only about the 12 that were seriously injured by the hardball, for relevancy.

for the drone, if 100s of kids are injured and 90% of it caused by careless kid play, that is to be expected whether we are talking about drones or nerf bats or squirt guns or other kids toys.  raise the age and move on.  however, if drones are falling out of the sky (due to failed rth) and 100s of kids are getting hurt from drones falling on their heads, let's take a serious look at this.  if pilots are carelessly running on low battery and the drone is falling and hurting people, that is already covered....we don't need new faa oversight on that.

none of those happened here.  pilot is absolutely responsible for the damage.  he should write a check for $1 to the bus company.  that's it.  no jail time.  same as if my ball rolled into the street and bounced off his tire.  it's a drone, not a grenade.
2022-5-17
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-17 08:56
i dont know if it is ok or not.

what i do know is it wasn't illegal and no law enforcement agency in any country should be reviewing this video in order to determine if sanctions are necessary; that absolutely ridiculous.

Ah, don't know which city you're in. It's illegal to fly a drone on public road where I am.
2022-5-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules