5-11-22 L1 FIRMWARE PROBLEMS
3057 16 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JesseG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19941 ft

United States

Got the dreaded "firmware update required" message when I powered up my M300RTK on 5-11-2022 so I read through the release notes and was pleasantly surprised to see that the majority of my problems and complaints with the L1/M300RTK system would be addressed.

So I updated my aircraft, controller and all batteries without issue by the end of the work day. Then the following day upon coming into my office I mounted the P1 to see if it needed an update as well... Nope, nothing required.

Then I mounted my L1 sensor and sure enough, "update required". So I performed the update through the new Pilot2 app and it went through as it always does, downloaded the update, uploaded the update to the camera and then upgraded the firmware. But instead of finishing the update with the "Update Successful" prompt, I got "Update Failed. Check and try again. Upgrade end failed". So then I tried to install the update through the microSD card but the bin file was not on the downloads page at "https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-l1/downloads" so I sent in a support ticket asking for the file. Being very impatient I called into support to see if they could provide the file and by the time I got someone on the phone and they had me check the downloads page again the file was there...frustrating, but I was glad to have it.

I then followed the procedure for performing the update thought the microSD card, formatted the card, copied the bin file onto the card, inserted it into the L1 and powered on the M300RTK with the L1 gimbal installed. The M300RTK powered up with its normal chime, then the L1 did it's self check rotation aaaaaaannnnnnnddddd NOTHING. No beeps to indicate the firmware file was recognized, no beeps at all the M300 just sits there like it was a normal power up. When I power up the controller the L1 is recognized on the home screen as being attached and needing a firmware update, when I go to the firmware screen the current L1 firmware is showing as "N/A" and when I enter the flight screen or camera view screen there is no L1 window and I can not access the L1 settings at all, not even to export logs. As a matter of fact when I go to the about screen in the settings where I can view all the equipments firmware version the L1 is just showing as "Gimbal    00.00.14.71" So no I have an L1 sensor that is a very expensive paperweight since it will not function at all on the M300RTK besides being able to pan it with the turn wheels on the smart controller.

I have been in contact with support through ticket request#4242277 but it is frustrating only getting a response once a day due to the massive time difference. I email during the day, they reply between 12am and 4am, and so on.

Has anyone else experienced this and resolved it? I know there are not many of us with this sensor but I am hopeful that someone might have an answer. If you have not upgraded the firmware on your M300RTK and L1 sensor I would recommend not doing so if it will still let you operate with the older firmware.

Does anyone know if I can downgrade to the previous firmware?  
2022-5-17
Use props
Mark7841
lvl.2
Flight distance : 352792 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried the DJI Enterprise Assistant 2? You're able to see all versions of all the goods on the M300 and upgrade and downgrade as needed. Don't forget to hook the remote up to the battery charger and update that also. I was able to update wirelessly through the remote and got pilot 2 without any issues but in the past I've had to use the PC and direct link cable to upgrade everything like the RTK base station ETC
2022-5-17
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

Mark7841 Posted at 5-17 17:49
Have you tried the DJI Enterprise Assistant 2? You're able to see all versions of all the goods on the M300 and upgrade and downgrade as needed. Don't forget to hook the remote up to the battery charger and update that also. I was able to update wirelessly through the remote and got pilot 2 without any issues but in the past I've had to use the PC and direct link cable to upgrade everything like the RTK base station ETC

Thanks for the suggestion Mark! I was planning on trying that today to see if I can upgrade the firmware on the L1 that way. The tech I spoke with on the phone said it wouldn't work so I hadn't tried yet. I forgot you can downgrade through DJI assistant, thanks for bringing that up! I will try downgrading everything besides the L1 as a last resort to see if I can get it to function. I'm thinking the engineers at DJI might be stumped since I did not get a response last night from support. However, I really wanted the new firmware to work since the new pilot2 app resolves a ton of issues I have been battling with so I'm trying to be patient. I do have a couple photogrammetry projects in the next few days so I will probably wait till after I perform those flights to try downgrading just in case something goes wrong and I'm left with nothing lol. Will keep everyone posted as things develop.
2022-5-18
Use props
Mark7841
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

JesseG Posted at 5-18 06:51
Thanks for the suggestion Mark! I was planning on trying that today to see if I can upgrade the firmware on the L1 that way. The tech I spoke with on the phone said it wouldn't work so I hadn't tried yet. I forgot you can downgrade through DJI assistant, thanks for bringing that up! I will try downgrading everything besides the L1 as a last resort to see if I can get it to function. I'm thinking the engineers at DJI might be stumped since I did not get a response last night from support. However, I really wanted the new firmware to work since the new pilot2 app resolves a ton of issues I have been battling with so I'm trying to be patient. I do have a couple photogrammetry projects in the next few days so I will probably wait till after I perform those flights to try downgrading just in case something goes wrong and I'm left with nothing lol. Will keep everyone posted as things develop.

Good to hear they are working on it. If you’re in the PHX AZ area I’ll happily fly your stuff and help out for free I’m off all week.
2022-5-18
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

Mark7841 Posted at 5-18 07:31
Good to hear they are working on it. If you’re in the PHX AZ area I’ll happily fly your stuff and help out for free I’m off all week.

Thanks for the offer Mark, but I'm up here in Seattle WA. So your L1 updated with no issues? Did you do the M300 update with the L1 mounted so they were both updated at the same time?
2022-5-18
Use props
Mark7841
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

JesseG Posted at 5-18 07:52
Thanks for the offer Mark, but I'm up here in Seattle WA. So your L1 updated with no issues? Did you do the M300 update with the L1 mounted so they were both updated at the same time?

Correct. Updated attached to the m300 with no issues. The HMS on power up flagged it for an update and it proceeded to update which took forever but completed fine. It updated one component at a time. I detached, attached p1, then H20T then L1 and each time it flagged them updated. It would not update the GL60 Zoom spotlight and to say it’s glitchy with Pilot 2 is to put it mildly. The czzn app is gone from the apple store so firmware update is not possible. It crashes the app if you use the SDK button but if you dig into the interface it’ll work but did crash the H20T twice in one flight and I had to reboot the app which fixed it. Still sucks. Considering removing dual gimbal mount.
2022-5-18
Use props
Mark7841
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

One more thing. I’m not 100 sure if it is firmware related or a failure of some kind but my H20T is no longer working correctly. The thermal sensor isn’t seeing heat like it did a few days ago.
2022-5-19
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

Mark7841 Posted at 5-18 19:29
Correct. Updated attached to the m300 with no issues. The HMS on power up flagged it for an update and it proceeded to update which took forever but completed fine. It updated one component at a time. I detached, attached p1, then H20T then L1 and each time it flagged them updated. It would not update the GL60 Zoom spotlight and to say it’s glitchy with Pilot 2 is to put it mildly. The czzn app is gone from the apple store so firmware update is not possible. It crashes the app if you use the SDK button but if you dig into the interface it’ll work but did crash the H20T twice in one flight and I had to reboot the app which fixed it. Still sucks. Considering removing dual gimbal mount.

Interesting that you are having problems with other payloads as well, seems like this round of firmware might be a bit off the mark. I don't have the H20T or the GL60 so I don't have any feedback about that unfortunately.
So, correct me if I'm wrong here but it seems like the only difference between our updates was that your payloads were updated prior to the airframe since it seems that it updates payloads first in the sequence. I on the other hand updated my airframe and smart controller first with no payload attached and then attached the P1(which did not get flagged for an update btw) and then attached the L1 and it failed.
I did not get a response from DJI last night or the previous so in an effort to get my sensor back up and running I downgraded my airframe and smart controller using DJI assistant2 to the previous firmware version and installed the L1. No change at all, the L1 still shows up on the home screen of DJI Pilot and shows it needs a firmware update but when I enter the flight/camera screen there is no L1 camera preview window, no camera/sensor controls or menu and the firmware update fails the same way.
Looks like I've tried about everything I can until there is some development from the engineers at DJI I am SOL. Debating whether or not to start a warranty claim but man I would hate to do that since I don't know how long it would take to get a new sensor in.
2022-5-19
Use props
madmagsone 6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 331102 ft
Ecuador

Greetings from Ecuador, I have the same problem with an L1, please if you have any solution share it to be able to activate the L1, we are worried about not being able to do it, thanks!!!
2022-5-19
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

madmagsone 6 Posted at 5-19 11:02
Greetings from Ecuador, I have the same problem with an L1, please if you have any solution share it to be able to activate the L1, we are worried about not being able to do it, thanks!!!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this as well! I have no solution yet, I am waiting on DJI to respond and have heard nothing for 2 days now. Hopefully DJI will take notice that I am not the only user experiencing this and offer a solution. I will be sure to keep this thread updated as things progress.
2022-5-19
Use props
Mark7841
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI responded right away on My H20T. RMA in progress because it’s my only one and can’t have it down long. M30T can fill in I hope for a bit. I will attach my L1 and double check it today.
2022-5-19
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

Just a quick update... Early Friday morning I received a reply from support that gave me one last thing to try and if/when that didn't work  they directed me let them know so they can start a repair ticket for me to send the L1 in for diagnostics/repair. So I tried the last solution and it did not work. Rather than wait on a response I called into the support hotline and created a ticket and sent the L1 overnight to the repair center in California. It arrives this morning so I am hoping for a speedy diagnostics and repair or a quick warranty claim. I will keep everyone posted as things progress. The bad news is that it seems like if this has happened to your sensor there does not seem to be a solution to fix it yourself. Perhaps with my sensor in hand they will be able to find the problem and issue a fix for the rest of the affected users but who knows.
2022-5-23
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

Update... DJI has determined the following "Livox Lidar Module was malfunctioned, which caused fail to update the firmware". They have started a warranty claim and begun repairing the unit at no cost to me since the unit is still under warranty. Right now I am unsure if I will receive a new unit or if they are repairing the unit I sent in but according to the status tracker the "repair" is complete and going through the quality assurance process before shipping out to me. I did have to pay $70 to upgrade shipping to next day air but I am grateful that they have handled this repair quickly and there was an option for faster shipping.

So there you have it, if you are in this situation I encourage you to reach out to DJI and go through the process of sending your unit in for repair. However, with reports of other problems facing the new firmware (one user mentioned not being able to resume a mission after doing a battery swap) IF the unit I receive is on the previous firmware I will be downgrading my aircraft and controller to the previous version and see if DJI issues a new firmware update to address the bugs in the near future.  

I will update when I receive the sensor and let everyone know how it goes.
2022-5-24
Use props
aebrilievi
lvl.4
Italy

Am I wrong, or was new firmware released on 05/21/22?
2022-5-24
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

aebrilievi Posted at 5-24 07:24
Am I wrong, or was new firmware released on 05/21/22?

The major firmware update that brought DJI pilot2 was released on 5-11-22 for the M300RTK, smart controller and L1 payload. That is what this thread is about since it is the update that rendered my L1 useless. There was also a firmware released for the M300RTK and smart controller on 5-21-22 that fixes some issues caused by the 5-11 version but there does not appear to be any newer firmware for the L1.  
2022-5-26
Use props
JesseG
lvl.2

United States

Also an Update...My sensor is due to be delivered today so I will let everyone know if I got a new unit or if mine was repaired. I will be conducting a test flight tomorrow or Monday to see how it is functioning and update this thread when I can go through the results.
2022-5-26
Use props
aebrilievi
lvl.4
Italy

OK thanks.
I think I'll wait before updating.

Good luck with the sensor!
2022-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now