RC range - poor?
29733 299 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-17 14:47
You make a great point hallmark.  Could well be the drone and not the controller.  Also, I always stay within VLOS so it shouldn't be an issue for me.  Time for me to quit whimpering about it.

Thanks for this, and enough info to interpolate what I need to know. Put me on the range message distro lol
2022-5-19
Use props
djiuser_alwS1UbVcYCA
lvl.2

United States

range looks damn good to me!!!

this guy got absolutely amazing range: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV16Z4y187fY?

If it were a design flaw with the drone he wouldn't be able to achieve this.  

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MINE!!!  This is AMAZING range!!!!!!!!!
2022-5-19
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

djiuser_alwS1UbVcYCA Posted at 5-19 13:54

this guy got absolutely amazing range: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV16Z4y187fY?

I never trust the very early users who seem to get flawless units and fly these miraculous distances. I’ve learned that lesson the hard way.  For example, I wish I bought an Air 2s with RC Pro that performed even as well as the first testers online. Mine, purchased just two weeks ago, was full of lost RC connection gremlins And repeatedly lost connection even at short range. I sent it back to the dealer literally yesterday. My hope is that they the Mini 3 will be better although I’m giving up on the all-in-one controllers.
2022-5-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Evangeline Posted at 5-19 17:50
I never trust the very early users who seem to get flawless units and fly these miraculous distances. I’ve learned that lesson the hard way.  For example, I wish I bought an Air 2s with RC Pro that performed even as well as the first testers online. Mine, purchased just two weeks ago, was full of lost RC connection gremlins And repeatedly lost connection even at short range. I sent it back to the dealer literally yesterday. My hope is that they the Mini 3 will be better although I’m giving up on the all-in-one controllers.

nobody got a flawless unit. dji wouldn't know how to make a flawless unit.
2022-5-19
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

djiuser_alwS1UbVcYCA Posted at 5-19 13:54

You are fake user. So please stop posting nonsense.

1. In town the range is 300-400 meters at 70m high, direct visibility and both RC and RC - N1 used. On N1 I have less range sometimes. We managed yesterday to borrow one to test it.
2. Outside town in flat field, no radio towers, no houses, only land and air (and some crows), max distance was 1400m....from that point entered in red, video signal was horrible and delayed, then in next 100m dropped.

So is a problem with this drone...don't know if is hardware or software....but at this point I wait to see if DJI admit it and is fixing it, or I will return it....(also all people here have same issues, all are waiting for an answer from DJI in order to keep or return).
Is abnormal that O3 have a range less then Mini SE...and you, DJI, write about 6-8-12KM? Haaaa-Haaaa-Haaaa...
2022-5-19
Use props
djiuser_W3z4ECw1TXh4
lvl.2
Germany

YouTube Video: DJI Mini 3 PRO EU/CE Range Test Hyper Extreme!!
(Can not do a link here )

Seems to be solid for me. 5km with video and more with unstable connection.

I am a noob with drones and waiting for the delivery.
How ever I'm just wondering if this problem here is linked to a thermal issue. I could imagine a heavy CPU load because all these sensors. And heat seems to be a problem anyway.

Is there a official issue/ticket open where we can see if dgi is reacting or do some comments?
2022-5-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Evangeline Posted at 5-19 13:42
Thanks for this, and enough info to interpolate what I need to know. Put me on the range message distro lol

2022-5-20
Use props
djiuser_alwS1UbVcYCA
lvl.2

United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-19 22:33

1. In town the range is 300-400 meters at 70m high, direct visibility and both RC and RC - N1 used. On N1 I have less range sometimes. We managed yesterday to borrow one to test it.

Yes. I posted a video of the drone clearly going a long distance.....so I am a fake user.

I realize from checking your post history you only like dramatics......my bad.

2022-5-20
Use props
Evangeline
lvl.3

United States

djiuser_el8ZrMJKGxvK Posted at 5-18 07:19
All the tests for the mini 3 pro range are so bad  in Europe and some fcc countries . I have a month wait for delivery and if this issue is not fixed by then I will cancel my order and purchase the autel which performs great in the same test environment as the mini 3 pro

Only 300m range in some videos . This is Unacceptable  and false advertising. DJI should be ashamed! Ocusync 3 does nothing

Great idea to use a long runway, or even a test stand on a hilltop to do static range tests while complying with rules. Near where I grew up, there is an F-86 fighter aircraft on a stand, on the side of a valley. It was used to test radar for defense against a low-altitude infusion by enemy aircraft. Although the stand test would not be perfect, the design could be optimized to minimize interference from the stand itself. For example, the drone could be suspended, or be attached with small, non-metallic column.

Currently, I’m watching a flattering review with the reviewer who does flying around in front of him in sporty mode, “It’s zippy.” I fly in windy condition and so healthy thrust to weight ratio interested me in terms of wind performance. I need a strong connection bc I do fly in a variety of locations, and do not have the luxury of selecting the sites.
2022-5-20
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am a bit of a range freak, so after reading these reports and others, my order is on hold.
2022-5-20
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

djiuser_alwS1UbVcYCA Posted at 5-20 02:28
Yes. I posted a video of the drone clearly going a long distance.....so I am a fake user.

I realize from checking your post history you only like dramatics......my bad.

Shut up with that video posted...
I talk with the drone in hand and appearing as BUYER...
So...Shhhh....
2022-5-20
Use props
djiuser_RyLt0OrKuJeE
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I got mine today, tested 350 m before 2-3 bars orange.  Overheats when downloading videos. Will be making a critical video against dji for scamming us
2022-5-20
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1. In town the range is 300-400 meters at 70m high, direct visibility and both RC and RC - N1 used. On N1 I have less range sometimes. We managed yesterday to borrow one to test it.

Doubt very much you will here anything from DJI
2022-5-20
Use props
patrick51
lvl.4
Flight distance : 407300 ft
Netherlands

I got it today, now charging everything an updating software.
Will try to test it out tomorrow................... not hopefull reading everything about the range!
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

this news is better.  i think we may be at the point where it's a drone by drone basis and not the entire model with range-gate which is good news (but not unlike gps-gate):

2022-5-20
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 5-20 11:06
this news is better.  i think we may be at the point where it's a drone by drone basis and not the entire model with range-gate which is good news (but not unlike gps-gate):

https://youtu.be/BGBCGfj45Qc

Not good news for most of us stuck with the duds! Bit of a lottery for new buyers too if that's the case.
2022-5-20
Use props
djiuser_RyLt0OrKuJeE
lvl.1
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-20 11:06

https://youtu.be/BGBCGfj45Qc

Mine has all latest firmware upto date today before first flight. 350m is disgusting. Dji better answer for this rubbish
2022-5-20
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

my 1st drone so i do not have any reference

1-2 bar's out of range showing after ~750 meters S,E,W - could not fly much North due EPOK no fly ~2 km zone
overall few powerlines here and there, bts's and some radio noise from both military, gov and civilian [industrial area]

- latest firmware for the date of recording
- rcu and drone recalibrated prior flight

2022-5-20
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

But it is interesting to see that the RC-N1 is better.
Seems to be related to the antenna design.
Over all the shown distance is way more than we are allowed to fly in the CE area and it has flown a distance over 10km in total with the normal battery.
2022-5-20
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Ireland

MySky Posted at 5-20 11:24
Over all the shown distance is way more than we are allowed to fly in the CE area and it has flown a distance over 10km in total with the normal battery.

From everything I've seen both controllers seem pretty much the same. Most tests show equal range, some showing the RC slighly better and some the N1 slightly better so who knows.
2022-5-20
Use props
djiuser_alwS1UbVcYCA
lvl.2

United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-20 07:34
Shut up with that video posted...
I talk with the drone in hand and appearing as BUYER...
So...Shhhh....[view_image]

Your video is OK....but the distance is nothing like the one I posted.

2022-5-20
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2vTfPeacRo

Mini 3 Pro 8,5km in urban area, uploasded today... nbew fw??Also a video upload today in north europe,  mini 3 CE, 7km
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-20 15:45

Mini 3 Pro 8,5km in urban area, uploasded today... nbew fw??Also a video upload today in north europe,  mini 3 CE, 7km

nice, wish i could fly that high....would get better range on my drones, too.
2022-5-20
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-20 15:45

I think there are a few that make false video in order to create sensation that is not DJI fault but user or area fault.
But the ones that get Mini3 already know that signal is crap... Range is biggest crap ever seen.
2022-5-20
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

djiuser_el8ZrMJKGxvK Posted at 5-18 07:19
All the tests for the mini 3 pro range are so bad  in Europe and some fcc countries . I have a month wait for delivery and if this issue is not fixed by then I will cancel my order and purchase the autel which performs great in the same test environment as the mini 3 pro

Only 300m range in some videos . This is Unacceptable  and false advertising. DJI should be ashamed! Ocusync 3 does nothing

But Autel is poor in wind and camera is not better...look at DM videos
2022-5-21
Use props
patrick51
lvl.4
Netherlands

I made some flight's this morning ( Netherlands Europe ) The range is awfull!
My Mini 2 had a way better range.................
Oooo evrything is updated.
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-19 17:57
nobody got a flawless unit. dji wouldn't know how to make a flawless unit.

Oh dear you don't like them much do you
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-20 22:23
I think there are a few that make false video in order to create sensation that is not DJI fault but user or area fault.
But the ones that get Mini3 already know that signal is crap... Range is biggest crap ever seen.

I have one I bought myself. I have no affiliation to DJI. I say it like it is as you may have noticed and I am very happy with mine and the range.
So I am a satisfied Customer. Some never are

2022-5-21
Use props
patrick51
lvl.4
Netherlands

Well you are lucky guy.

When i did fly this morning over buildings i lost connection around 300M...................... now this is in my opinion just CRAP! Hope DJI will fix this fast......
My Mini 2 could fly 3000M away without a hickup.........
2022-5-21
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

patrick51 Posted at 5-21 03:35
Well you are lucky guy.

When i did fly this morning over buildings i lost connection around 300M...................... now this is in my opinion just CRAP! Hope DJI will fix this fast......

So true ! Crap signal is a FACT!
Some don't even have it but are satisfied with it... ))))
2022-5-21
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Ireland

Maybe I should have put this here: Test I did today showing my original Mavic Mini having better range than my 3 Pro.

Previously I commented that I felt the 3 Pro had only slighly better range than my original Mavic Mini, this was probably because of the smoother feedback until signal finally cut off. So today I decided to test them. I flew stright out from the same point North, South, East and West of my position at 30 meters in altitude. Both RC for the 3 Pro and my mobile phone for the Mini 1 were on Airplane mode. Results below show distance until connection is lost with controller. In some of those cases the live feed cut off for the Mini 3 Pro but telemetry kept continuing until RTH.

North (Mini - 252 meters. Mini 3 Pro - 420 meters)
South (Mini - 1280 meters, Mini 3 Pro - 890 meters RTH, feed cut off at 800 meters) - this area is downhill where I get best range
East (Mini - 455 meters, Mini 3 Pro - 355 meters)
West (Mini - 435 meters, Mini 3 Pro - 350 meters)

In three out of the four scenarios the original Mini beat the Mini 3 Pro. My area is rural, beside a road and a few houses. The nearest town is small and about 1.5 km away.

I'm glad some people are getting decent range out of the 3 Pro but many of us are seeing shockingly poor signal strenght from an O3 drone. Based on info elsewhere in this thread I tested to see if the drone was still emitting a bluetooth signal and sure enough it was - DJI-MINI3-PRO-CF10. I don't know if this is the issue but it is something to look at.

Some positives!

Drone is SO much better in the wind than the Mini. I didn't have a single wind warning or slowdown with the Pro while it was a constant battle with the Mini to the point I was quite nervous.
RC controller so much easier and strightforward to use despite the bugs (again blue directional dot didn't appear during the test)
So much quieter! You really feel like you are not bothering anyone nearby or drawing attention to yourself. All said it is a much more pleasant experience.

JUST PLEASE FIX THE SIGNAL ISSUE. Otherwise it's a winner.
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MySky Posted at 5-20 11:24

Why do you say the N1 is better... It isnt and that was not what the video showed. Both did the same distance did you not see that
2022-5-21
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-21 03:44
Why do you say the N1 is better... It isnt and that was not what the video showed. Both did the same distance did you not see that

Have look at the signal streng indicator. The N1 has had 1 to 2 bars more than the new RC during the whole flight..
2022-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So which one has a crap signal and lives in Norfolk (UK) i can meet up and see whats going on?
2022-5-21
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

I hear ya.......I too am disappointed. Two things will come out of this. 1. Will correct the issue in a firmware 2. Enough owners will start a class action lawsuit for misleading specifications.
2022-5-21
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

I am confident in saying that a great majority of users dont want the 8-12km range, we just want a range level that is confident. If I am flying within 300m and I start to lose signal, that is a lack of confidence in the drone now, its adding to more a liability issue. I dont fly any further than 350km in rural areas and this is very poor to achieve at the moment. If DJI can give me a solid signal irrespective of surroundings for a distance of 1km, I am happy...I wont fly the 1km but I know at 350m its going to be solid.....which it is not at the moment.
2022-5-21
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Australia

I too will hold off on a move and see what DJI come up with. I thought the RC-N1 was better hence my decision to return unit and re-purchase the model with traditional remote control. Will hold off and see.
2022-5-21
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

Another Mini 3 Pro with 7.2km today and could go way further ( 3.2k subscribers, Malaysia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jGL60gxYwQ
2022-5-21
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

MySky Posted at 5-21 04:08
Have look at the signal streng indicator. The N1 has had 1 to 2 bars more than the new RC during the whole flight..

People need to use both controllers differently. N1 has vertical antenas, just need to care about horizontal direction when pointing to drone. RC has horizontal, so you need to have vertical precision when pointing to drone (harder because we're not used to it), the antenna aperture is narrow.
When screen says "weak signal, adjust antennas"it simply means "AIM to the drone!" and you'll see your signal gain 2 bars instantly and you can go way further having this care.
2022-5-21
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

Today, 4Km with CE Mini 3 in Europe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjC7lWTGQc
2022-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules