RC range - poor?
29662 299 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Käsekuchen
lvl.2
Germany

Guys, i was so sad reading all this here. Did my first flight and yes it is not as good as the mini 2. But he'll yeah this mini 3 is awesome. And signal is solid for me. (CE)
2022-5-21
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-21 10:47
People need to use both controllers differently. N1 has vertical antenas, just need to care about horizontal direction when pointing to drone. RC has horizontal, so you need to have vertical precision when pointing to drone (harder because we're not used to it), the antenna aperture is narrow.
When screen says "weak signal, adjust antennas"it simply means "AIM to the drone!" and you'll see your signal gain 2 bars instantly and you can go way further having this care.

We have seen plenty of poor signal with the RCN1 controllers too. I'm willing to try anything but personally I have seen no difference in changing the tilt of the remote in trying to get better signal. I have tried many different things to try and get it past 400 meters in certain areas and no joy.
2022-5-21
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-21 10:47
People need to use both controllers differently. N1 has vertical antenas, just need to care about horizontal direction when pointing to drone. RC has horizontal, so you need to have vertical precision when pointing to drone (harder because we're not used to it), the antenna aperture is narrow.
When screen says "weak signal, adjust antennas"it simply means "AIM to the drone!" and you'll see your signal gain 2 bars instantly and you can go way further having this care.

I already mentioned that the antenna design must be different.
Do you have a proof of the antenna orientaton ?
Only that the RC has to be pointed to the drone, as written in the manuals of  all the latest DJI drones, doesn't explain anything about the antenna orientation.
2022-5-21
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 11:21
I sent you a private message.    Not good discussing ranges over 500m in public.

OMGOMGOMG! YOU FLY OVER 500M?? REPORTING YOU FOR STUFF!

Jk lol
Good call ;)
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Käsekuchen Posted at 5-21 10:59
Guys, i was so sad reading all this here. Did my first flight and yes it is not as good as the mini 2. But he'll yeah this mini 3 is awesome. And signal is solid for me. (CE)

And good for me I am very happy with my Frog
2022-5-21
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

MySky Posted at 5-21 11:24
I already mentioned that the antenna design must be different.
Do you have a proof of the antenna orientaton ?
Only that the RC has to be pointed to the drone, as written in the manuals of  all the latest DJI drones, doesn't explain anything about the antenna orientation.

No proof, just read it somewhere... but we know phisically it is, due to antennas being internal, so they should go along the front of the controller, in horizontal.
2022-5-21
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-21 13:20
No proof, just read it somewhere... but we know phisically it is, due to antennas being internal, so they should go along the front of the controller, in horizontal.

enjoy
2022-5-21
Use props
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131942 ft
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-20 22:23
I think there are a few that make false video in order to create sensation that is not DJI fault but user or area fault.
But the ones that get Mini3 already know that signal is crap... Range is biggest crap ever seen.

Could also be that they're not actually Mini 3s either and maybe a Mini 2 being flown. How could you tell? Ever wonder if DJ I has deliberately limited the broadcast strength in order to reduce distance? Perhaps they're being told to do this by their government? Maybe the influencers got controllers that have full power.
2022-5-21
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

Happy with range
2022-5-21
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlEKJESQ84
5km
2022-5-21
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-21 14:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlEKJESQ84
5km

Thats FCC mode and stood on a roof
2022-5-21
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Many thanks for sharing, this is what i was expecting.
It is more directional than the one in the N1 and due to it's upside down design it explains why there is these range issues between 400m and 1200m related to the short wave lenght and the angle someone is holding the RC. Depending on the distance, pointing the RC more above or below instead directly to the drone could improve the connection.
2022-5-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I flew my Air 2 yesterday with the N1 controller got a little confused where it was and it lost connection at 200m it turned out it was behind me. You can see it turn round and head for home in this video.  Made my bum nip.....So all the controllers need to be pointing at the drone

2022-5-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dragonfyr Posted at 5-21 11:48
OMGOMGOMG! YOU FLY OVER 500M?? REPORTING YOU FOR STUFF!

Jk lol

Not me,    I was just present when it happened.   
2022-5-21
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-21 23:07
I flew my Air 2 yesterday with the N1 controller got a little confused where it was and it lost connection at 200m it turned out it was behind me. You can see it turn round and head for home in this video.  Made my bum nip.....So all the controllers need to be pointing at the drone

https://youtu.be/ZMEO1ODiX1A

Exactly what i posted in your previous post, you didn’t fly that far and you lost connection at 200 meters because the drone was behind you, I could fly my Phantom 1 behind me at 50m no problem

My concern is poor signal strength
2022-5-22
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

Nice video (youtube can translate cc  to any language), so it's exactly what I said, in mini 3 we must point exactly to the drone.... with RC controller, especially in vertical aim.
2022-5-22
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

Today I saw that Mini 3 FCC has both labels (CE and FCC) in it but the RC controller has just the CE label... why would the RC controller has no FCC label in it??
2022-5-22
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well another video from Hong Kong using V01.00.0100 firmware where the Mini2 managed 3.5km while the Mi3P managed 3.8km on the same route and some 4K60 10bit D-Cinelike videos. He also mentioned that he was having some slow reaponse or app freeze of the DJI-RC which was resolved after DJI support told him to refresh the firmware using DJI assistant 2. Is this more of a CE problem as there are now quite a few video from Hong Kong with the Mi3P being flown out to almost 4km

2022-5-22
Use props
EdwvLVXnmeVZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213 ft
Canada

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-22 08:43
Today I saw that Mini 3 FCC has both labels (CE and FCC) in it but the RC controller has just the CE label... why would the RC controller has no FCC label in it??

Now that's interesting...it would explain why the North American deliveries haven't shipped yet.
I heard somewhere on the grapevine that they got FCC approval on May 16th.
Perhaps there is a new batch of FCC controllers for NA then.
2022-5-23
Use props
squeeeirog
New

France

I cannot create new threads, so I will ask here.
I am a beginner in drones, but I consider them for use in my family's business. I hope for your help in these matters:
1. Will I be able to fully program the flight of the drone by selecting checkpoints in advance?
2. If so, can I choose a height for all these control points on which the drone will drop? Suppose it will fly to a height of 50 meters, but in these points I need it to temporarily fall to 5 meters. Is it possible to program this?
3. Can I make sure that the drone, reaching the control point, after a decrease to that height of 5-10 meters, remained motionless at such a height for 5-10 seconds?
4. And finally, can I program the short activation of the LED on the drone at the time when it comes to the control point?

Thank you so much for your help.
2022-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

squeeeirog Posted at 5-24 01:35
I cannot create new threads, so I will ask here.
I am a beginner in drones, but I consider them for use in my family's business. I hope for your help in these matters:
1. Will I be able to fully program the flight of the drone by selecting checkpoints in advance?

Unfortunately No is the answer to all your questions. You may see waypoints added by third party applications if and when DJI release their SDK. But for now you need to look at other drones for this. Mavic 2 pro phantom4 pro etc.
2022-5-24
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

and so far it seems yo uwill not be able to install 3rd party apps on dji rcu
2022-5-24
Use props
ZORAST
lvl.2
Germany

Follow this Read
2022-5-24
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

First 12km test  I´ve seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8psGKt7RQg
2022-5-24
Use props
EdwvLVXnmeVZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213 ft
Canada

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-24 12:58
First 12km test  I´ve seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8psGKt7RQg

24KM on a single battery, that's pretty good!
The bigger battery that is.

2022-5-24
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

bxq Posted at 5-24 02:36
and so far it seems yo uwill not be able to install 3rd party apps on dji rcu

Definitely going with DJI-RCN1 due to this plus brighter Nits on phone...
2022-5-24
Use props
Sander_Manzoli
lvl.1

Brazil

Bussty Posted at 5-24 18:22
Definitely going with DJI-RCN1 due to this plus brighter Nits on phone...

I can´t agree because under the sun, the phone gets hot and, at least for me, with iPhones, when it´s hot it always dims the screen a lot, (unusable level) while RC controller never dims it. So I prefer RC controller exactly because it´s consistently keeps a super high bright in any conditions.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-25 09:05
I can´t agree because under the sun, the phone gets hot and, at least for me, with iPhones, when it´s hot it always dims the screen a lot, (unusable level) while RC controller never dims it. So I prefer RC controller exactly because it´s consistently keeps a super high bright in any conditions.

Is that just an iphone thing as have never had that with a Samsung S9?
2022-5-25
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

Sander_Manzoli Posted at 5-25 09:05

that's why i got the hood for the rcn1 controller, works miracles and is a lot better in direct sun. pretty sure it will beat the brightness of the new controller. plus charging the controller once in a couple of weeks is a plus.
on the topic, i think range of mini 3 is similar to mini 2 nothing less nor more. quite comparable. haven't tested much, but initial imression is good.
2022-5-25
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

sbonev Posted at 5-25 13:51
that's why i got the hood for the rcn1 controller, works miracles and is a lot better in direct sun. pretty sure it will beat the brightness of the new controller. plus charging the controller once in a couple of weeks is a plus.
on the topic, i think range of mini 3 is similar to mini 2 nothing less nor more. quite comparable. haven't tested much, but initial imression is good.

I missed that does the RCN1 have awesome battery life compared to the DJI-RC? Cheers
2022-5-25
Use props
patrick51
lvl.4
Flight distance : 407300 ft
Netherlands

Is there a response on here in 1 of the threads from DJI?
You can also read complaints on Facebook when DJI post the Mini 3 pro!
2022-5-25
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 5-25 12:22
Is that just an iphone thing as have never had that with a Samsung S9?

I agree with you, i too have not experienced this dimming with any of my Note models, perhaps it only happens once the battery reaches a certain percentage, i cannot say as i have never flown with less than 50% in my phones, its always fully charged prior to leaving and its on charge to the destination too...
2022-5-25
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Bashy Posted at 5-25 20:34
I agree with you, i too have not experienced this dimming with any of my Note models, perhaps it only happens once the battery reaches a certain percentage, i cannot say as i have never flown with less than 50% in my phones, its always fully charged prior to leaving and its on charge to the destination too...

same   It's an Apple thing
2022-5-25
Use props
Panph
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5322589 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Yesterday i saw a friend of mine doing 1200m distance with the DJI RC in urban area, EU transmission.
I think it could have handled 100-200m more, it had 2/5 signal bars but the image transmission was still clear.
2022-5-25
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

Bussty Posted at 5-25 17:25
I missed that does the RCN1 have awesome battery life compared to the DJI-RC? Cheers

Don’t have the RC so can’t say for sure, but in one of the reviews they mentioned its battery will be enough for 3 flights approximately. With the rcn1 of the mini 2 I was doing a lot of flights with one charge. At least 20 depending on the flights.
2022-5-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 5-26 00:00
Don’t have the RC so can’t say for sure, but in one I’d the reviews they mentioned is battery will be enough for 3 flights approximately. With the rcn1 of the mini 2 I was doing a lot of flights with one charge. At least 20 depending on the flights.

I can do 3 full battery flights on my Mini 2 and the 4th light would be flashing on the N1, that's whilst feeding the Note 20 Ultra with power too. It has nothing on my P4P RC battery though
2022-5-26
Use props
herasymcuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18881 ft
Italy

In this LINK very detailed article from a technical point of view, it is clear that in "most cases", the maximum brightness of the galaxy s22 + will be 829 nits. The values declared by the smartphone parent companies concern only small portions of the screen. "In less adverse conditions and with you in control of brightness, you'd be looking at 494nits with the slider all the way to the right."
2022-5-26
Use props
Bill Adama
lvl.4
Flight distance : 515190 ft
United Kingdom

Feels like the DJI RC is brighter than my iphone 13 pro.. might not be but certainly feels to be so.

Range is not bad as long as direct line of sight and also hold it by the sides only, minute you hold the controller naturally aka like a gorilla then the signal bars drop if flying at any distance. Have to hold it tenderly
2022-5-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

herasymcuk Posted at 5-26 00:09
In this LINK very detailed article from a technical point of view, it is clear that in "most cases", the maximum brightness of the galaxy s22 + will be 829 nits. The values declared by the smartphone parent companies concern only small portions of the screen. "In less adverse conditions and with you in control of brightness, you'd be looking at 494nits with the slider all the way to the right."

Its 1266 nits on max auto when using adaptive brightness.

Under bright light, with adaptive brightness enabled, we measured 1266nits on our S22 Ultra under the standard 75% APL that we test and compare between phones, which is more than 200nits brighter than the closest competitor, the iPhone 13 Pro Max. It's quite the generational improvement over the S21 Ultra or the Note20 Ultra, both putting out just over 1000nits under the same circumstances.

When you quote something, quote it in full please so folks get the full story, you missed out the important part regarding the Extra Brightness toggle.

In less adverse conditions and with you in control of brightness, you'd be looking at 494nits with the slider all the way to the right. There's a bit more to that this time around, as there's a brand new 'Extra brightness' toggle in the display settings that appears if you disable the 'Adaptive' toggle. That unlocks an extra 300nits, give or take, manually attainable regardless of ambient light, bringing the number up to 829nits.

Either using the extra brightness toggle or leaving it all in adaptive, its certainly brighter than the DJI RC in bright sunlight.

More disturbing to me is the Note 20 Ultra 5g is only kicking out 1023 nits and not the stated 1500+, still, that's on par with the RC Pro.

If i do get this MM3P, I am sure I will get the DJI RC too for convenience and still have the N1 option if needed
2022-5-26
Use props
Dave Galloway
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have had my Mini 3 Pro for a few days. As soon as the rain and cloud has gone, I will do a range test. I am in the UK.
I would be able to use the drone fully, had DJI at least released some batteries for sale when the mini 3 pro was released.
2022-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules