mini 2 Horizon Tilt- how do you fix this...WITHOUT sending it in?
10093 24 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ironchar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7629833 ft
Canada

I had horizon tilt bad on the first drone- it was crooked no matter what I did it totally runined all flying experenice. I sent it in and after 4 weeks of hell and found out that something in the gimbal arm was busted, got a new referb after paying due to operator error (whitch I wasn't happy about, but the bill was small and it was express shipped, so I took care of it)

now we have this with number 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/drones/ ... it_corrects_itself/

is a short video of what I'm experenicing.

this is my second mini 2- within 30 days this problem devloped with NO accidents or known issues with the drone- it was perfect before and had no bumps.

THIS time the horizon at least corrects itself. So its fine for photos and videos with minimal straffing.

I've done everything you could do, calibrated IMU, Compass (completely fine) Gimbal SEVERAL times, upgraded firmwares, making sure it's on FOLLOW MODE (not FPV), weather checks out clear
this is still tilting on sideways flying. It's very annoying, since it suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

what can I do? what can be done? I do not want to send it in all the way cross the other side of the country just to be blamed on and have to spend more $$ to fix.

I've looked high and low on the internet for simular problems- very few people seem to have this issue- and when they do it either goes away (rare) or they HAVE to send it in, I'm tring to avoid this since it's costly and time consuming.

I want to enjoy the product. this makes it very hard

2022-5-17
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Calibrate remote control you didn't mention.  Something to try.
2022-5-17
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

hunterws Posted at 5-17 17:25
Calibrate remote control you didn't mention.  Something to try.

it's not that

you know what... it probably IS something to do with the gimbal or accelerator and nothing I can fix without sending it in.

I really just don't want to wait another 3.5 weeks with no drone
2022-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ironchar. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue and thank you for reaching out. Since you are having this issue, I would recommended for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Thank you.
2022-5-17
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-17 19:53
Hello there ironchar. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having this issue and thank you for reaching out. Since you are having this issue, I would recommended for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Thank you.

Already have been. They tell me the same stuff they always do which doesnt help at all

"Take out your SD card

Make sure firmware is up to date"

That doesnt do anything with reguards of this issue

https://youtu.be/9_sv0liPTC0

This is another video of yet another person with an issue far worse then mine but similar
2022-5-17
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

I had the same issue with my Air 2 and then I fixed it by following these steps:

1. Calibrate IMU on a very flat surface
2. Restart the drone
3.  Calibrate the Gimbal on a very flat surface
4. Calibrate the RC Controller (from DJI Fly Control Tab)
5. Turn off the drone, go outside
6. Turn on the drone, wait for GPS Lock
7. Once GPS has locked, calibrate the compass
8. Restart the drone once more, try to fly!
2022-5-17
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

Yaros1 Posted at 5-17 22:55
I had the same issue with my Air 2 and then I fixed it by following these steps:

1. Calibrate IMU on a very flat surface
So yaros this did it for you?

I cant really say the same.

However a wind storm juat came brewin in my region recently- shouldn't even be flying but the mini 2 DOES handle heavy winds very well for that weight

Had to even manually calibrate mid air because the winds were so bad...

It seemed like there was still some tilting when sideways flying- i even tried advanced RC settings didnt seem to change much.

Inconclusive result however it doesnt look good- your claiming that calibration steps fixed your air 2?

Also i noticed the app wanta you to shut off the drone before you calibrate RC. I really doubt it does anything. The one that should matter is the gimbal and its not doin it
2022-5-18
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

Yes, it did help me when I had the same problem with the Mavic Air 2.
However, when flying in wind sideways, the gimbal on the Mini 2 may tilt.
2022-5-18
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

Last year my Mini 2 suddenly had a tilted horizon out of nothing. At the same time, the drone was no longer able to turn around its yaw axis in hover (about 1 m above ground) but “jumped” around in a small circle. The drone was replaced under warranty. However, a tilted horizon when flying sideways is normal especially in sports mode.
2022-5-19
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

Yaros1 Posted at 5-18 22:58
Yes, it did help me when I had the same problem with the Mavic Air 2.
However, when flying in wind sideways, the gimbal on the Mini 2 may tilt.

Yeah....man i tried the steps.

Nothing's changed. Gimbal still tilts when flying sideways. Even in normal and cine mode.

I KNOW this isnt normal because i have footage of flying and holding level just fine even in winds.

There are no repair shops in town.... i dont have a choice either suffer lousy video footage or send it in again.... i dont want to wait a month this time
2022-5-19
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

ironchar Posted at 5-19 14:32
Yeah....man i tried the steps.

If you have DJI Care Refresh then use that, I used it one time when I crashed my drone and it only took 8 days from the day I sent it in, to when I received it.
2022-5-19
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

Yaros1 Posted at 5-19 22:49
If you have DJI Care Refresh then use that, I used it one time when I crashed my drone and it only took 8 days from the day I sent it in, to when I received it.

8 days is better then 4 weeks.

However i dont have care refresh- and i shouldnt have to burn one on a faulty product i didnt crash
2022-5-19
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

ironchar Posted at 5-19 22:51
8 days is better then 4 weeks.

Yeah, in this case, the warranty works just fine.
Maybe send it in for repair, see how long it takes.
It's better to have a good working drone in a couple of weeks, than having a partially working drone,.
2022-5-19
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

Yaros1 Posted at 5-19 23:14
Yeah, in this case, the warranty works just fine.
Maybe send it in for repair, see how long it takes.
It's better to have a good working drone in a couple of weeks, than having a partially working drone,.

Thats hard. Id do if i had a backup but its hard to get a decent one
2022-5-22
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

just wanted to let everyone know that I had to send it in eventually...it took a over a month due to the first unit not working properly.

I've learnt that the gimbal arm just wears out over time.... and eventually even without a crash the horizon can be lousy (especially in wind)
2022-9-28
Use props
btframework
lvl.4
Flight distance : 887461 ft
Belarus

Some time ago faced the same issue. I took it to the store I bought it (they have service) and the issue was fixed in just a few minutes. The service man told that this is common Mini 2 issue that appeared because of incosistent between IMU and gimbal sensors and may appear even if you don't crash the drone. It also can be done at home with some "uncertified" software but as soon as it costs just a few dollars better to visit service with certified software.
2022-9-28
Use props
B2T_Mattie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 640869 ft
United States

Both happy and sad to have found this. Glad you're back in the air but that video made me realize Ive got the same issue. And here Im hoping to fix a battery firmware problem. I just want to fly the bird already.
2022-9-30
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

btframework Posted at 9-28 23:48
Some time ago faced the same issue. I took it to the store I bought it (they have service) and the issue was fixed in just a few minutes. The service man told that this is common Mini 2 issue that appeared because of incosistent between IMU and gimbal sensors and may appear even if you don't crash the drone. It also can be done at home with some "uncertified" software but as soon as it costs just a few dollars better to visit service with certified software.
What!? This can be reset!?

Of course it can..... how!?

My later ones were weird though- like i said it wasnt stuck crooked- it turn crooked when flying sideways

I wonder if the same can be done with a compass going bad

Oh woah i think i just found something.... are you referring to python software and dji repair tool? Apparently they work but create an error code because it resets serial number
2022-10-3
Use props
fans27f52f01
lvl.4
Belarus

ironchar Posted at 10-3 06:57
What!? This can be reset!?

As I wrote I asked local service to calibrate the IMU and the gimbal. The operation takes just a few minutes. And yes, you can try to use Python script but I read that it may cause an error (I did not try that). If you have any local DJI service simple ask them to calibrate IMU and gimbal.

The issue (as I wrote) appeared because of inconsistence data from IMU and gimbal and requires them both to factory calibration. Any DJI service has legal DJI software to do that.
2022-10-4
Use props
ironchar
lvl.3
Canada

fans27f52f01 Posted at 10-4 08:59
As I wrote I asked local service to calibrate the IMU and the gimbal. The operation takes just a few minutes. And yes, you can try to use Python script but I read that it may cause an error (I did not try that). If you have any local DJI service simple ask them to calibrate IMU and gimbal.

The issue (as I wrote) appeared because of inconsistence data from IMU and gimbal and requires them both to factory calibration. Any DJI service has legal DJI software to do that.

I sadly dont have anyone in town who is an authorized repair centre or knows how to do that- im west coast and they are all back east- apparently manu of thrm dont even know how to fix thia iasue.

Where are you located? How is service throughout the world so lopsided even for the developed countries?
2022-10-4
Use props
fans27f52f01
lvl.4
Belarus

ironchar Posted at 10-4 10:55
I sadly dont have anyone in town who is an authorized repair centre or knows how to do that- im west coast and they are all back east- apparently manu of thrm dont even know how to fix thia iasue.

I live in Belarus. Nearest DJI store/service is about 350 km from me (in Minsk) but as far as I often visit Minsk its not a big problem for me.
2022-10-5
Use props
David Key
lvl.2

Georgia

Hi, I have the same problem but my case is worst than yours. I was told by the DJI service center that the gimbal was damaged and needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, there is no other way to solve this problem. My drone is also crashless, this problem started on its own within a few weeks of purchase.
2022-10-27
Use props
flying Paulo
New
Curaçao

btframework Posted at 2022-9-28 23:48

Is there more information on how it can be done "at home"?
In my case, it is a bit difficult to send the drone in, since there is no real DJI support around (in the Caribbean).

To me, it looks like it is a kind of "miscommunication" between the gimbal and IMU or Compass. Because Gimbal calibration itself works fine, FPV mode works okay too. It only tilts the horizon as soon as the drone is slightly tilted to the side. it does not matter which side the drone tilts, the gimbal tilts always to one side only.
2023-10-19
Use props
Poot Zephyr
lvl.1

United States

flying Paulo Posted at 2023-10-19 08:16
Is there more information on how it can be done "at home"?
In my case, it is a bit difficult to send the drone in, since there is no real DJI support around (in the Caribbean).

Old post, but I have the same issue.  You can manually or auto calibrate the gimbal which straightens it, but then the second the drone moves to either side the horizon is crooked again.  Pretty frustrating.  

My only workaround has been to use video editing software to rotate the video very slightly (like a little over 1 degree, in my case) to correct, and then zoom in very slightly (like 1%) to make up for the missing corners.  Shouldn't need this workaround, but here we are.

Did anyone find a solution?
1-17 08:29
Use props
mini2isTheONE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 894911 ft
Czechia

Poot Zephyr Posted at 1-17 08:29
Old post, but I have the same issue.  You can manually or auto calibrate the gimbal which straightens it, but then the second the drone moves to either side the horizon is crooked again.  Pretty frustrating.  

My only workaround has been to use video editing software to rotate the video very slightly (like a little over 1 degree, in my case) to correct, and then zoom in very slightly (like 1%) to make up for the missing corners.  Shouldn't need this workaround, but here we are.

Yes the solution is on YouTube. Search YouTube first. Just fixed my one using that. Search with the right words and you'll find it. Try "fix DJI mini 2 gimbal error 40011"
2-15 13:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules