469 6 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have many DJI drones and I take many videos. I Never use any res higher than 1080P 60FPS. I think about the content and do not obsess over so called quality and numbers and certainly dont want huge file sizes. My footage is generally uploaded to Youtube and we watch it on a 55 inch tv and it is fine. Please also remember that most people now watch stuff on little screens so there is absolutly no point in 4K or above on those..
Now to the point most people love 4K and love putting the settings to what they think are the best ie highest. All of this uses power that creates heat and there is only so much a small drone, camera, or phone can put up with before issues occur.

I am wondering if a lot of the issues (Gettin hot, Poor transmission range etc) would be much improved if people shot at 1080P.

I know many people will not want to do this but perhaps ask yourself...... Do you rearly need higher than 1080 p and if so why.

By the way I dont sod about with colour grading and all that 'post' stuff. I use auto on everything and look at the content.
I am perfectly happy with my videos. I also feel videos can be over 'produced' and start to look false

Also remember most people dont have 4K eyes

2022-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-5-17
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Like you Bigplumbs, I reckon 1080p is good enough to watch on small screens ie. phones, tablets, etc. Flying recreationally that is good enough for me, but occasionally, I will shoot in 4k if I then want to playback on my 65" Oled TV. (Bought it watch soccer games, and NFL). Also, I agree with all of your comments regarding 'post' editing.
2022-5-17
Use props
SafariMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

On my iPad Pro, 4K resolution looks much better than 1080.Very seldom I shoot only 1080 only for 120fps or more, depending on the product.
Even on my iPhone I never go lower than 2,7K
75% of my footage is played on 4K TV or on my Beamer so I don't have much choice if I want to keep quality in my images(videos)
I agree it takes much more storage space, but that's the price to pay for it.
(I should upgrade my pc as it tends to be slow now)
2022-5-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SafariMan Posted at 5-18 00:21
On my iPad Pro, 4K resolution looks much better than 1080.Very seldom I shoot only 1080 only for 120fps or more, depending on the product.
Even on my iPhone I never go lower than 2,7K
75% of my footage is played on 4K TV or on my Beamer so I don't have much choice if I want to keep quality in my images(videos)

I have netflix like most and when I watch 1080p Films I am totally happy. When they are 4k I am totally happy....... To be honest both me and her indoors can see no real difference if you are watching the film rather than looking all over it for inperfections.

2022-5-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Bigplumbs,

You and some of the others make a good point but there are also different forms of uses.  I shoot in 4K for the zoom ability I can get when I make a screen captures of specific targets.  I can also use PowerDVD as the video player and that allows me to zoom during the video.  So, the zoom quality is about it for me.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2022-5-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

In your tiny little bubble producing content only for Youtube then 1080 maybe fine.  However for many other people who produce content for many different customers and audience many DO demand more than 1080p and other options.  Some videos designed for 1080 output benefit from a lossless crop.   Many reason.   So yes, many many people DO need more than 1080p.
2022-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules