reuse micro SD from Mini2 in Mini3 Pro?
1764 20 2022-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EmileNL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1042989 ft
Netherlands

(received my Mini3 just now, woohoo, charging it...)

Question: can I safely move the micro SD card from my Mini 2 to my Mini 3 ?
I mean, so it wouldn't destroy/overwrite/corrupt any footage and photos from my Mini 2 which is still on the card?
Same folder structures and way of storing the same, etc?

Thanks!

Emile
(either way, will first make a backup of the card before trying)
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did exactly that. I use 256gb cards and only delete when needed as part of my multiple copy backup strategy.   I moved my card from the mini 2 to mini 3 without any issues.    Then popped an old 128gb into the mini2.    One tip is to create a txt file on the card with contact details.  Just in case.  
2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 12:25
I did exactly that. I use 256gb cards and only delete when needed as part of my multiple copy backup strategy.   I moved my card from the mini 2 to mini 3 without any issues.    Then popped an old 128gb into the mini2.    One tip is to create a txt file on the card with contact details.  Just in case.

Great advice and good tip on contact file.  
2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-18 12:30
Great advice and good tip on contact file.

Thanks DT.  Just remember not to firmst the card without putting it back.   

Ps I call mine _contact.txt and I only put in my mobile number.  I can always ignore that if I feel the need.
2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 12:34
Thanks DT.  Just remember not to firmst the card without putting it back.   

You're very welcome DA.  I got a free sticker from pilotinstitute to put on the drone that includes my FAA number and my mobile number.  

Now I'm going to add the contact.txt that you suggested to all my drone SD cards as an added measure.  

2022-5-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Emile. Good day and thank you for reaching out. In addition you may reuse the microSD card of your DJI Mini 2 in your DJI Mini 3 Pro for as long as it is a recommended microSD card for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. For reference, I will post the list of recommended microSD cards for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Thank you.

2022-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-18 13:53
You're very welcome DA.  I got a free sticker from pilotinstitute to put on the drone that includes my FAA number and my mobile number.  

Now I'm going to add the contact.txt that you suggested to all my drone SD cards as an added measure.

We are lucky here,  the label doesnt need to be on the outside,   just somewhere that can be accessed without tools so mine is inside the battery compartment along with all of the dji labels.
2022-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 22:47
We are lucky here,  the label doesnt need to be on the outside,   just somewhere that can be accessed without tools so mine is inside the battery compartment along with all of the dji labels.

Wish it was the same here but FAA says it has to be on the outside of the drone.  
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-19 02:53
Wish it was the same here but FAA says it has to be on the outside of the drone.

I guess we’re lucky.  At least for now.  
2022-5-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 10:03
I guess we’re lucky.  At least for now.

For sure.   Don't want EASA/UK rule makers to adopt that idea at all.  FAA wants it on the exterior because they are too lazy to look for it in the battery area or elsewhere.  
2022-5-19
Use props
EmileNL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1042989 ft
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-18 21:36
Hello there Emile. Good day and thank you for reaching out. In addition you may reuse the microSD card of your DJI Mini 2 in your DJI Mini 3 Pro for as long as it is a recommended microSD card for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. For reference, I will post the list of recommended microSD cards for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thanks all for the great tips. Popped the card in the Mini 3 and works fine, file numbering continues nicely etc.
Only difference I see is in how Mini 3 stores 360 Pano images. (Mini 3 as one integrated jpeg, Mini 2 as set of separate jpegs)

Regarding recommended microSD cards, I use a card not on the list, i.e. Kingston Canvas Select Plus 512GB  (U3 V30 A1 whatever all that means), but works fine.Sofar at least

2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-19 12:10
For sure.   Don't want EASA/UK rule makers to adopt that idea at all.  FAA wants it on the exterior because they are too lazy to look for it in the battery area or elsewhere.

lol.   We have the rule that you need to be able to access it without using tools,   so maybe our are a bit lazy too.  
2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EmileNL Posted at 5-19 14:07
Thanks all for the great tips. Popped the card in the Mini 3 and works fine, file numbering continues nicely etc.
Only difference I see is in how Mini 3 stores 360 Pano images. (Mini 3 as one integrated jpeg, Mini 2 as set of separate jpegs)

I have separate images in the Panorama folder for the Mini3 panos I took yesterday,   I did have to enable raw for the pano for them to be saved though.
2022-5-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

EmileNL Posted at 5-19 14:07
Only difference I see is in how Mini 3 stores 360 Pano images. (Mini 3 as one integrated jpeg, Mini 2 as set of separate jpegs)

Hi there EmileNL. Thank you for the reply and for these additional information If you have any other concerns or any inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you.
2022-5-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 22:34
lol.   We have the rule that you need to be able to access it without using tools,   so maybe our are a bit lazy too.

Could well be.    

Sometimes federal employees get a bad reputation, but other times they earn them by their own actions.
2022-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-20 03:14
Could well be.   

Sometimes federal employees get a bad reputation, but other times they earn them by their own actions.

Certainly seen that portrayed in american TV shows.
2022-5-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-21 00:11
Certainly seen that portrayed in american TV shows.

Yeah, don't believe everything you see on American TV shows.  The producers give themselves lots of creative leeway.  Hence, why many have been successfully sued and are no longer producers.  
2022-5-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-21 06:58
Yeah, don't believe everything you see on American TV shows.  The producers give themselves lots of creative leeway.  Hence, why many have been successfully sued and are no longer producers.

lol,   Im slowly re watching the X-Files at the moment,     square picture is weird.    But I like best is all the old cars.  
2022-5-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-21 23:42
lol,   Im slowly re watching the X-Files at the moment,     square picture is weird.    But I like best is all the old cars.

My one regret from spending all that time in the Navy was I moved every 2-3 years and prohibited me from getting a collection of classic cars going.  I just didn't want them sitting in a storage building somewhere.  Also, I only went back to same geographic location twice.  I'd love to have a few old school muscle cars.  I still have a 1956 Corvette that I had restored.  Drive it every other week.  Have had some pretty healthy offers but not ready to sell it yet.
2022-5-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-22 06:51
My one regret from spending all that time in the Navy was I moved every 2-3 years and prohibited me from getting a collection of classic cars going.  I just didn't want them sitting in a storage building somewhere.  Also, I only went back to same geographic location twice.  I'd love to have a few old school muscle cars.  I still have a 1956 Corvette that I had restored.  Drive it every other week.  Have had some pretty healthy offers but not ready to sell it yet.

I had a little classic British sports car from the 1960's and I regret selling that.   
2022-5-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-22 22:49
I had a little classic British sports car from the 1960's and I regret selling that.

Like they say, hindsight is 20/20.  Guess, we both have learned lessons.
2022-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules